Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

šŸŒˆ Share your favourite book with LGBTQ+ representation

tommy June 15th

screenshot-2024-06-15-at-13-13-18_1718453607.png

For all of the book lovers, what is your favourite book which has LGBTQ+ representation? We can come together here to share our recommendations. Give a brief overview of the book, what it's about and who it would suit - remember to include the author so people can have a snoop online at it too.Ā 

Were you ever read a book as a child which included LGBTQ+ representation that you enjoyed?Ā 

tommy OP June 15th

screenshot-2024-06-15-at-13-17-26_1718453860.png

The heartstopper graphic novels by Alice Oseman have to definitely be one of my favourites! Partly because they are easy and quick to read to suit busy schedules but also because many different identities are represented. I'd definitely recommend them if you're wanting something light and easy to readĀ šŸ“š

kindbubbles3420 June 15th

@tommy

That seems like a very beautiful recommendation. I'll check it out so soonĀ šŸ„°

forcefulShip4663 June 16th

@tommy the hearstopper series is amazing I love it so much. But in my opinion solitaire is one of the best books Iā€™ve ever read!!!!!ā¤ļø

@forcefulShip4663. The heartstopper series was really good šŸ‘.

@tommy Thanks for sharing. Does it have any adrogene or aporagender representation?

*androgeneĀ 

*androgyne *internal screaming intensifies*

forcefulShip4663 June 16th

@tommy The Sun and The Star by Rick Riordan. Nico Di Angelo is gay and Will Solace is bi and Nico has to go on a quest and Will decides to come along to keep Nico safe and make sure heā€™s okay. This book shows the pairs romance so well itā€™s definitely my favorite book Iā€™ve read.ā¤ļøšŸ“•šŸ“–Ā 

ThoughtLight June 17th

I have a TON of books to fit this category in my personal library and a couple arriving in the mail today. But I believe the title I will choose for today is "Dancer from the Dance" by Andrew Holleran. Considered a classic it explores the life of a gay man who escaped his conventional world which was just expected of him (lawyer, etc.), and flings himself into the world of New York City where after many unfortunate occurrences he overall is very simply looking for love. He envies the homes with the white picket fences and having a family. There are other novels by this author that are great as well.Ā 

r0sybumpsnbruises June 18th

Jo: An Adaptation of Little Women (Sort of) by Kathleen Gros is my fav! I got it at barnes&noble when I was like 9 or something :3

UncarvedBlock June 29th

@r0sybumpsnbruises Little Women is perhaps one of my favorite books of all time. I love all the vast ways the characters can be interpreted, and how each readier connects with them differently. I know the most popular queer reading is Jo as lesbian, but her boyishness has always resonated with me, too, and I'm a trans man.

I distinctly remember being 13-14 years old and reading her say, "I can't get over my disappointment at not being a boy".Ā I felt so seen.Ā She insists on being called the shorter, masculine form of her name, dreams of running off with her best friend to Europe and posing as a man, and adopts unladylike mannerisms specifically because they distance her from femininity. Which was all just like me, at the time.Ā 

Obviously, she's intended to be a woman, and I'd never want to take away from the feminist context in which the book was written. But growing up, she was the first character who I could look at and recognize a piece of myself. It wasĀ very special for me.

There is a lot of gender commentary and envy in Alcott's fiction, and not just from Jo. Laurie is written as fairlyĀ delicate, feminine, and just fascinated with the March girls. It's not an accident that his nickname is a girl's name, and Jo's a boy's.Ā 

gowriparvati June 19th

Orv for guys

I wish ik more abt this

fireflyyv June 22nd

@tommy

100% definitely I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. It's truly a beautiful story about discovering one's self through art and how art is ultimately just the path to love regardless of sexuality šŸ©·

wwildberry June 24th

@tommy casey mcquiston is a great lgbtq author. they have three books out right now, with a fourth on the way, and i've enjoyed every one immensely!! same goes for alice oseman's works <3

ThoughtLight June 25th

Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman. A thrilling love story that will leave you wanting more. So, its great there's a sequel with the ending we all want who have read the novel.Ā 

UncarvedBlock June 25th

@Tommy The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

It's a beautifully written, meticulously researched love letter to American superhero comics and Jewish culture, and how inexorably linked the two really are. I cannot praise it enough.

Michael Chabon, the author, is one of the bestĀ contemporaryĀ AmericanĀ novelists, and he frequently writes thoughtful, nuanced queer rep. He manages to weave in queerness as an integral part of his storiesĀ withoutĀ ever making it feel like the "main point" of the gay character is just to be gay. It's very accurate to what queerness is like in real life. It isn't everything you are, but it affects every aspect of your life.

ThoughtLight June 27th

Alec by William di Cinzio is an absolutely amazing book. It is a sequel to the gay classic Maurice by E.M. Forster. This novel moved me more than most novels ever have.Ā