Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book, movie - The Firm, by John Grisham

ReadBooks7 February 28th, 2023

BOOK CHOSEN

The Firm

by John Grisham

Would anyone be interested in picking a book, movie, or show to read or watch and then discussing themes, plot elements, characters, etc., here? I don't have a lot of free time but when I do, and to keep my brain distracted, I read and watch psychological thrillers and/or dramas. It'd be great to have discussion with people who are interested ๐Ÿ’š

IELAZEMOG April 13th, 2023

@Help127

Hi, I'm new here.

My father gave me all his books and it looks like he was a big fan of Grisham. All the books are in Spanish though. I was discouraged to see that apparently I did not have "The firm" but now that I checked I do. Unfortunately I have to read 3 books within 2 weeks. But I will try in my spare time to be able to read the book BUT if you decide in time to read another Grisham novel, let me know. I feel a bit self conscious of my english so I hope you guys understand.

ReadBooks7 OP April 13th, 2023

@IELAZEMOG welcome! Your English is excellent so please don't worry about that. Feel free to read as you have time and take part in this discussion if you want, and stay tuned for further movie and book discussions! We are about to begin discussions since those participating have completed the book, but you are welcome to join in if you want, especially if you do have a chance to read it soon. Glad to have you here!

Cancun April 14th, 2023

Help this is a great idea. I love the firm. Both book and movie.

ReadBooks7 OP April 14th, 2023

@Cancun thank you! We just started discussing the book (comments are up above slightly), and we will be watching the film soon, too, so please feel free to join!๐Ÿ˜Š

adventurousBranch3786 April 15th, 2023

@Cancun. Nice to see you here ๐Ÿ‘‹.

Cancun April 15th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786

You too. John Grisham caught my attention. I love his books and movies. ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

adventurousBranch3786 April 15th, 2023

@Cancun I think we will be watching the movie next. Like Help said feel free to join!

Cancun April 15th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786

The movie is phenomenal. Imo it's just as good as the book. I've seen it a couple of times. ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

ReadBooks7 OP April 16th, 2023

We'll definitely watch the movie soon ๐Ÿ™‚Grisham has a few books turned into movies, and they are all fantastic. I think usually the films differ at least slightly, but the main plotlines are the same. He's one of the best writers, imo. Runaway Jury is another one that is full of suspense.

Cancun April 18th, 2023

@Help127

Completely agree. The group has a good handle on what they read. Keep up the good work. ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

ReadBooks7 OP April 18th, 2023

@Cancun thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™

Cancun April 19th, 2023

@Help127

Your always so welcome. ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

ReadBooks7 OP April 19th, 2023

@Cancun I always love the colorful hearts๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

For everyone who has finished, what do you think comes next for the characters in the book? Did you like the ending, or would you have rewritten it?

adventurousBranch3786 April 19th, 2023

@Help127. Endings are so hard. I canโ€™t think of anything to change the ending to this book. I guess the characters could live peaceful lives for sometime. Maybe they could eventually be found by the bad guys!

Cancun April 19th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786

Completly agrees with Branch. Thanks for the compliment Help. ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

@Cancun you're welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™

@adventurousBranch3786 I think the ending probably worked out in the best possible way for the main characters. What is interesting is that there was a tv show that came out, maybe 10-15 years ago, that was a follow-up to the book/movie. It showed where the characters (Mitch and family) were and what they were doing. I remember watching the first episode; I just cannot remember the details.

adventurousBranch3786 April 20th, 2023

@Help127. @SolitaryBird @Cancun

Itโ€™s interesting to know that there was a series. I might check it out if I can find it.

ReadBooks7 OP April 20th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I had completely forgotten about it, and then my question and reading the responses reminded me. I'd be interested in watching it as well.

I think it's hard to do a tv series after a movie, mainly because it is rarely, if ever, with the same actors. Netflix did it with the tv version of The Lincoln Lawyer, and I had trouble at first with the character transition, but it is a good series.

ReadBooks7 OP April 21st, 2023

Does anyone have any other thoughts about the book before we move on and watch the movie version? ๐Ÿ˜Š I am looking forward to making comparisons whenever everyone is ready.

@SolitaryBird @adventurousBranch3786 @Cancun @IELAZEMOG

Cancun April 21st, 2023

@Help127

Sounds good. I'll be interested in seeing what you guys think? Everyone have a great weekend. Hugs ๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

ReadBooks7 OP April 22nd, 2023

@Cancun thank you, you too!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™

adventurousBranch3786 April 22nd, 2023

@Help127.I am ready to see the movie. I just have to get the dvd from the library ๐Ÿ˜Š I saw the movie so long ago. It will be interesting to compare it to the book. .

ReadBooks7 OP April 22nd, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 sounds great! I'm ready to see it, too, and I think it's already in one of my streaming libraries, so I'm going to watch within the next few days. Let me know when you have watched it ๐Ÿ™‚Thank you!

TheAlchemist1111 April 23rd, 2023

@Help127

Hi, i recently completed watching "Into the badlands" a sci-fi martial arts series, plot is interesting.I hope they continue this series.

ReadBooks7 OP April 23rd, 2023

@TheAlchemist1111 that sounds like a really interesting show! I'll have to look it up. Thank you for sharing! I think we'll likely pick another book and maybe a show to watch soon, too!

Wittie96 April 23rd, 2023

I love this idea, i know Iโ€™m late but yeah

@Wittie96 we're watching The Firm movie now to discuss in general and in comparison to the book, so you're welcome to join! We'll likely start discussing it sometime this week, after everyone who wants to watch the movie has an opportunity.

reliableOak5665 April 23rd, 2023

@Help127 hi my name is Larry and I am new here. This is awesome and I think snowfall would be a great show to watch.

@reliableOak5665 welcome, and thank you! I'm glad you are here and glad you posted. I'll have to check that show out. The name sounds familiar.

ReadBooks7 OP April 26th, 2023

Hi everyone! I finished watching the movie last night, so I'm ready to discuss whenever you are!

adventurousBranch3786 April 26th, 2023

@Help127. Iโ€™ll be watching it soon. Iโ€™ll let you know when I finish ๐Ÿ˜Š.

ReadBooks7 OP April 26th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 sounds great, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

adventurousBranch3786 April 29th, 2023

@Help127. I just watched about half of the movie. My biggest problem is that I have never been a Tom Cruise fan! He has the right look just as the book described though. I do love Holly Hunter and Gene Hackman. They do seem to follow pretty much along with the book except for a few small changes. There is one thing that I couldnโ€™t remember. Did Mitch tell Abby about the night with the other woman in the book?

ReadBooks7 OP April 30th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 it's difficult when you aren't a fan of the lead character. I don't think he and the actor who plays his brother look much alike, so that threw me a bit, although sometimes siblings just don't look that similar.

Both Holly Hunter and Gene Hackman are outstanding. I think that the movie is well cast.

In the book, to my recollection, Mitch does not tell Abby.

I hope you like the rest of the movie!

adventurousBranch3786 April 30th, 2023

@Help127. I just finished the movie. Most of the changes they made were fine with me and seemed to fit with the book except for the ending. I found the ending in the movie more difficult to believe. Did you prefer the book or movie ending?

ReadBooks7 OP May 1st, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I actually watched the last part of the movie again because I found the ending to be really unbelievable and wanted to see if I'd missed anything. It just doesn't seem plausible to me that they'd be able to drive away that easily. It's as if the danger just disappeared for them, and I think that's unlikely. It's sort of implied that Mitch is appreciated and protected after he discusses the overbilling, but I have a hard time believing that they'd just completely believe him and be okay with it. So while I prefer the movie ending, where Mitch is able to continue practicing law and they safely move away, I just don't think it would be that simple.

(This message might appear in a strange spot because I didn't have a reply button on your last message.)

adventurousBranch3786 May 1st, 2023

@Help127. I guess they wanted a โ€œHollywood endingโ€™ with everything perfect. It was hard for me to believe that the FBI would let things go as well. It was a little strange to me. They did give the book ending to the brother though. It seemed more believable to me.

ReadBooks7 OP May 1st, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I like the ending for Ray, and that was the most believable part of the movie ending. I was thinking the same thing about the FBI, but I guess there was not much more the FBI could do to Mitch; he technically provided them with what they needed to get indictments, and since he was leaving the firm, there was nothing else he could do.

I definitely do not think it would be as simple as he and Abby packing up and driving away. Great movie, but the ending asks for a bit too much suspension of disbelief lol.