Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing With Pet Loss: How To Help a Grieving Pet Parent

innateJoy9602 January 31st, 2023

"Pet parents often say that losing their animal companions can sometimes be as hard as, if not harder than, losing a human family member, experts said.

“Your pets follow you into bathroom. They sleep with you. They are your shadow. Human family members don’t do that,” said Leigh Ann Gerk, a pet loss grief counselor in Loveland, Colo., and founder of Mourning to Light Pet Loss. “Humans don’t go crazy with joy when you come back inside after getting the mail. Human relationships, while important, can be difficult. Our relationship with our pets is simple. They love us just as we are.”

People want to help, but often don’t know how. Sometimes their comments can hurt.

How to support grieving pet parents. We spoke with pet loss grief experts about how people can support grieving pet parents. Here is their advice:

• Avoid euphemisms and platitudes. Don’t say, “They are in a better place,” since “the only place you want your pet is in your home,” Gerk said. Other things not to say: “They’re running free,” “They’re not in pain anymore,” “They’re with your other dogs now,” “They’ve gained their wings” or “Everything happens for a reason.”

While some people might find these phrases healing, others may see them as dismissive, Kwerel said. “That’s trying to apply logic to an emotional experience,” she said.

• Be careful with Rainbow Bridge imagery. The Rainbow Bridge is a mythical overpass where grieving pet parents are said to reunite forever with their departed animals.

“That’s not a belief system for some people,” Gerk said. “I’ve had clients say they want to believe in the Rainbow Bridge, but they don’t know if they do. I remind them: if it brings them comfort to believe in it, then believe in it.”

• Share your pet grief story. It can help the grieving pet parent to know you’ve been through it, too, but don’t make it about yourself.
  • “Don’t compare grief situations,” said Michele Pich, assistant director of the Shreiber Family Pet Therapy program at Rowan University. “That won’t help. You can say: ‘I understand how painful this can be,’ but keep the focus on this current experience.”
  • If you knew the pet, share your memories. It’s helpful for pet owners “to know their animal has made an impact on other people’s lives as well as their own,” Pich said.
  • Rituals are wonderful. Make a donation to a rescue group or plant a tree in that animal’s honor. Write a poem about the pet, or even an obituary.
  • Don’t minimize the loss or try to find a silver lining. It wasn’t “just” a cat, or “just” a dog. It was a family member. And don’t say, “Now you can travel,” “You won’t be tied down anymore,” or “Your vet bills won’t be so high.”
  • There is no time limit on grief. Try not to rush the process, Pich said. “Sometimes people will have sympathy for a day or two, then not understand why you are still grieving weeks or months later,” she said.
  • Listen. “Grief is not a problem to be solved,” Kwerel said. “You can’t take away their pain. Just be a compassionate witness to it.”
  • Don’t ask what you can do. “That puts the onus on the griever,” Kwerel said. Instead, do something concrete such as sending flowers and showing up with pizza. Say, ‘I’m here for you.’”
  • Don’t suggest getting another cat or dog without adding “when you are ready.” Pushing them implies they are replacing the one who died.

Read the full article on The Washington Post

_1675174609.image.png

Takeaway: Despite their importance, human connections can be challenging. Our interactions with our pets are more straightforward. They accept us for who we are. For many, losing a pet can be more hard than loosing anyone else. Be as mindful as you can when supporting someone who has lost their companion.

Reflection: Have you ever had to grieve the loss of a pet? What helped bring you comfort?

#Pet #Loss #Grieving #Animals #Companion

mytwistedsoul February 10th, 2023

@innateJoy9602 Such a nice post. I wish more people knew this. I have. I'm still grieving in some ways if I'm honest. What helps is time and patience with myself. There's no time line for grief. Allowing myself to grieve her loss - she may have been just a dog to someone else but she was my friend and my family. Talking with other people who have been through it because most of them understand best what our furry friends mean to us. They're family

innateJoy9602 OP February 10th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul

I am so sorry for your loss. I can see how much your furry friend meant to you <3. You are absolutely right. There is no timeline for grief. It is important to be patient with ourselves. Hope you continue to find comfort in the memories you have with her. 💜

SkylusWings February 10th, 2023

@innateJoy9602

Thank you for this post. I really appreciate it. It can be a difficult subject and I've heard many of the things mentioned above many times by different people. I'm still grieving for my beloved budgie Tony Bird who I lost four years ago. Its difficult but I know that there's no time limit on grieving and everyone heals at their own pace. I try to remember the good times and be thankful that Tony was a part of my life.

@SkylusWings

Sorry to hear about your loss with your beloved Tony Bird. <3 Everyone does grieve at their own pace. I hope you continue to find peace and heal. Sending positive thoughts your way.💜

HipsterChic February 10th, 2023

My heart goes out to those pet moms and dad that are grieving today.💐

@HipsterChic

Well said.

I know your words will help bring comfort to those who have. <3

Appreciate it💜

Hollyfrost February 10th, 2023

My cat Teddy went missing for a year. When he came back, he was drooling blood and lethargic. We took him to the vets and he had advanced kidney failure. More blood tests alone would have cost me 400 pounds, which I could not afford. He was significantly skinner and acting differently. I lost him for a year, found him, and he was put down within a day. Just sharing a pet loss story I never got over.

@Hollyfrost

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cat Teddy. It sounds like you went through a roller coaster of emotions. It must have been heartbreaking. It’s unfortunate that medical costs can be so high. I wish they were more accessible and affordable to us. Thank you for sharing. Sending hugs <3💜

aloneguy123 February 10th, 2023

@Hollyfrost

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose him that way. My heart goes out to you.

YourCaringConfidant February 10th, 2023
@innateJoy9602
Thank you so much for posting this! I lost my baby doggy several years ago but she was truly the best dog ever. Her death greatly affected me and my family because we loved, still do love, her so much! I do still miss her but after years of grief, I have found peace by holding onto my precious memories with her. I also made this shadowbox in memory of her... so everytime I look at it I just smile. ♡ This craft of mine also helped me to find peace. I also have a custom charm for my Pandora bracelet with a picture of her on it. I have experience the loss of several other pets and they hurt but my dog's death was the one that hit me hardest.
received-2644061822527622_1676072663.jpeg

I wish everyone here who has experience the death of a pet healing. ♡ RIP to all our furr babies!
innateJoy9602 OP February 12th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

It's amazing that you were able to create a shadowbox and charm to keep her close to you. Your words bring solace and it's clear that your dog left a pawprint on your heart that will never fade away. She is gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m very sorry for your losses. 💜💜

BenittaJ March 12th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

Pretty baby.