Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Intrusive thoughts

Kaela123 March 7th, 2016

I've had anxiety and depression for a few years now, I'm 22. It's usually one or the other. I've suffered intrusive thoughts before but haven't recently. Well, I've recently fell in love and I'm so happy with him. But every time he leave I have crushing anxiety. I can deal with that. But... Now it's intrusive thoughts as of yesterday I had one about him. My boyfriend. And I CANNOT COPE with it. I love him more than anything and I feel so guilty I could die. I cannot stop obsessing about having them and it's destroying me inside. I'll be okay for a minute and than I remember the thought I had. I'm so scared I'll keep having them and they'll never stop. What if I can't let go? I'm scared.

squeek March 7th, 2016

@Kaela123sometimes you just need to accept the things not let them go

Kaela123 OP March 7th, 2016

@squeek I just don't know how. I'm afraid. I know for %100 that I would never act on them, it's just the fact that I'm thinking it. I feel guilty and disgusting.

BestIcanbe March 7th, 2016

@Kaela123

Oh goodness, I hear your pain ❤️

Let's get one thing straight. Having these thoughts, being anxious, caring about your boyfriend, wanting happiness for yourself.......none of that makes you guilty or disgusting. It makes you human.

I'm afraid I don't have any magic formula to make it better. In your position, I guess I would try to rationalise those thoughts a little. Is your boyfriend giving you any reason to distrust him? If not, your thoughts are unlikely to come true. In essence, you're worrying over nothing. And although it's hard to stop doing that, it's fruitless. It achieves nothing except to hurt you. So try and be logical here, be kinder to yourself, relax, and enjoy being cared for, being loved. Believe in yourself as someone worthy of that. I wish you peace and happiness.

Kaela123 OP March 7th, 2016

@BestIcanbe thank you so much. It's just so hard, I thought the thoughts would only last a day and it's been since Saturday night I can't let the guilt go. I know I wouldn't do them, that's not what's scaring me its just the fact I'm thinking them at all.