Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Read This Only If You Feel You Have OCD!

ouiCherie April 24th, 2021

Oftentimes we think we have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or labeled someone is having OCD when the person is so strict with procedures, obsessed with cleanliness, tidy and sleek all the time, punctuality is very important for them, etc. And if those are violated, it makes them irritated or even angry.

However, not everyone who has those traits mean they are having obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), there is also what is called obsessive compulsive personality disorders (OCPD). Although the two are often overlapping, in terms of stereotyped and inflexible thoughts and behaviors involving orderliness, perfectionism, and list making.

Below are some key differences between the two:

People with OCD have insight, meaning they are aware that their unwanted thoughts are unreasonable.

People with OCPD think their way is the “right and best way” and usually feel comfortable with such self-imposed systems of rules.

The thoughts, behaviors and feared consequences common to OCD are typically not relevant to real-life concerns

People with OCPD are fixated with following procedures to manage daily tasks.

Often OCD interferes in several areas in the person’s life including work, social and/or family life.

OCPD usually interferes with interpersonal relationships, but makes work functioning more efficient. It is not the job itself that is hurt by OCPD traits, but the relationships with co-workers, or even employers can be strained.

Typically, people with OCPD don’t believe they require treatment. They believe that if everyone else conformed to their strict rules, things would be fine! The threat of losing a job or a relationship due to interpersonal conflict may be the motivator for therapy.

This is in contrast to people with OCD who feel tortured by their unwanted thoughts and rituals, and are more aware of the unreasonable demands that the symptoms place on others, often feeling guilty because of this.

✒️To be certain, it is best to visit a professional to get the correct diagnosis and a proper treatment.

sUZ4JXb_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

❍ Do you think you have OCD or OCPD from the differences above?

❍ Is there more differences between the two you can add to the list?

source: https://iocdf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/OCPD-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Sher217 April 25th, 2021

@ouiCherie

I really like the way that you laid out this information to highlight differences in certain areas! Thank you for sharing this Purple heart

~ Sher

ouiCherie OP April 26th, 2021

@Sher217 you're most welcome :)

IceCream4IceCream April 26th, 2021

@ouiCherie

On behalf of my sibling with OCD and OCPD, I'm reading this. Thank you so much for creating awareness <3 And a reminder to all reading that picture shared in your post is just one example of the many different ways people with OCD and/OCPD are affected :)

@jovialButterfly6752 Thank you Jov for the response and input 💜

TheJoxter April 26th, 2021

My OCD doesn't even involve order, list making or those things...

IceCream4IceCream April 26th, 2021

@AuntieMymble

I hear you. So many misconceptions...

@AuntieMymble Thanks for the input Mym 💜 You'd be a great teammate to build support system for Support Plus sub community!

TheJoxter April 26th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Thank you so much, can't wait <3

KindnessPretiosus April 26th, 2021

Tysm fr posting this...I had OCD when I was 12...n now I have horrendous OCPD n m this close to being thrown into the loony bin...having traits of both can make it really difficult...even if u know u're ill it still affects u n d way ppl look at u...I just want ppl to know that OCPD is more dangerous than OCD as far as m concerned...n OCPD is seriously more than just being a perfectionist!

ouiCherie OP May 2nd, 2021

@KindnessPretiosus that must have been very tough for you *hugs...

Yes, it's not just about being perfectionist and many people using OCD terms loosely for that trait only, when it is so much more than that ♡

KindnessPretiosus May 3rd, 2021

@ouiCherie

@ouiCherie: It is...it still is...it's like some sorta undeserved punishment which I am suffering. IDK why!!

ouiCherie OP May 10th, 2021

@KindnessPretiosus I'm sorry that it has been making you feel like being punished when it is not your fault ♡ I'm glad you're here, hopefully together, we'll be able to build a solid support system for everyone in Support Plus sub community.

KindnessPretiosus May 10th, 2021

That would b genuinely great u know! <3

IceCream4IceCream May 2nd, 2021

@KindnessPretiosus

My sibling says the same :/

@jovialButterfly6752: I am really sorry fr her...I hope it gets better fr her really soon...

IceCream4IceCream May 3rd, 2021

@KindnessPretiosus

Well both of you are amazingly strong <3 If anyone can cope, it's you and her <3

@jovialButterfly6752: God bless u fr saying that...

IceCream4IceCream May 3rd, 2021

@KindnessPretiosus

Lots of love for you both <3

@jovialButterfly6752: Awww...thanks! :)

calmsoulmeet May 8th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Extremely useful post . Thanks for sharing . I have OCD and could relate with every point made .

ouiCherie OP May 10th, 2021

@calmsoulmeet I'm glad if you found it helpful ♡ and happy to have you here. Hopefully, together, we can build a solid support system for Support Plus sub community 💜

Rohitbhardwaj July 9th, 2021

@ouiCherie
woo😍😯w ouicherie, you covered Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), very well, and specially the way you heighlight things.
😍😍
Thanks for this beautiful work, and to spread awareness.🌻🌻
🤩🤩

🤗🤗
​​​​​​​❤️❤️
ouiCherie OP July 25th, 2021

hi @Rohitbhardwaj
thank you for the kind words and support 💜

calmmoon2104 August 15th, 2022

This is really true, for ocd, I don't know about ocpd, but I know it's really torture for someone who has ocd, it's too much for people having ocd, like me.

ouiCherie OP August 15th, 2022

@calmmoon2104

Understand. It's indeed tough, calmmoon. I sincerely hope you'll find help, support and strength to overcome it step by step 🤍

calmmoon2104 August 15th, 2022

@ouiCherie Thank you, i hope too as well