Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Conquering your Goals: Goal Setting Techniques

Hope August 21st

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well. It's time for another post in the Conquering Your Goals series. In this series, we have covered setting the right goals, setting up systems to reach our goals and the role of mastery and pleasure in goal setting. Now that we have some clarity on the foundational ideas that guide our efforts toward our goals, we can move into the specifics of how to frame/set our goals. This week we will discuss the different goal-setting techniques one can use to set goals you are more likely to achieve. 

Here are the three techniques we will cover

• SMART Goals (Perhaps the most popular and talked about on 7 Cups)
  • OKRs & Goal Stacking (More commonly used in corporate environments)
  • Backward Goal Setting/Reverse Engineering (Best for when you don’t know what to do to get where you want to go)

No. 1: SMART Goals

SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. It is a smart way of remembering how to set your goals so that you are more likely to achieve them.. 

Here is what these terms mean:

• Specific: Your goal needs to be specific. Instead of saying you want to feel strong, narrow it down to something specific like ‘I want to be able to bench press 40 pounds’
  • Measurable: Your goal needs to have a measure associated with it that you can look at to track progress. Instead of aiming to walk a lot, aim to walk additional XXX steps everyday. 
  • Achievable: It needs to be realistic, If you walk 1000 steps daily and now you want to walk 15000 the next day, that is unrealistic for most people. 
  • Relevant: It should be in alignment with your core values. 
  • Time-bound: There needs to be clarity on when you want to achieve it. How long do you have. 

Now let's look at a common goal and how it changes when you apply the SMART technique to it 

Goal: I want to be a good cook. 

SMART Applied: I will have mastered cooking seasoned rice, two types of lean proteins, and 5 different vegetables by the end of November.  

No. 2: OKRs (Objectives and Key Results)

It stands for Objectives and Key Results. Using this strategy you will phrase the goal in a clear measurable way and then list down 4-6 tasks you will do to achieve this objective. 

Objective: Where you want to go (It needs to have a metric attached to it so you can tell if you went there!)

Key Results: How you plan to get there

Let's look at an example of a common goal

Goal: I want to reduce my screen time

Objective: Reduce screen time, measured by reducing phone usage to less than 1 hour daily by November 15, 2024

• Replace bedtime phone usage with X-book
  • Replace my phone alarm with an old-school alarm clock
  • Keep my phone in a separate room
  • Schedule phone usage times
  • Only pick up my phone to answer phone calls outside phone usage time. 

Now when comes Nov 15, I as the goal setter would mark off the KRs I have implemented and then see if I actually managed to reach my goal. If not, adjust your KRs and/or your goal and try again! Usually, companies use OKRs to set goals for every quarter of the year (every 3 months) to stay on track. For personal use, you can use them however you like

No. 3: Backward Goal Setting/Reverse Engineering

The first two techniques are more suitable when you have a reasonable idea of what you need to do. But sometimes we have a broader idea of what we want but are unsure how to get there. Then it helps to use this technique to get some ideas! Like the name suggests, first we look at what we want to achieve and then we work backwards to the steps we need to take. 

In the post where we discussed our goals in alignment with core values. Many people identified family as a value they cherish. It so happens to also be one of the more complex areas of goal settings so lets use that as an example. 

So Alex wishes to have a family where everyone feels like they belong. Here is how she uses this technique. 

Goal: Create a family environment where everyone feels connected, heard and respected. 

Let's see what milestones will likely happen before such a goal is realized. 

Here is what likely will happen:

• Family members being able to speak their mind
  • Conflict resolved in an effective manner 
  • Family comes together in some form of frequent fashion doing things the members want to do
  • People feel comfortable to share what they truly feel
  • People come together to celebrate things that matter to them 
  • People will know what everyone is going through 

Based on the things that should happen before I feel like my family members respect each other and are connected. I think the following milestones need be reached: 

1. Milestone 1: Regular family communication and conflict resolution.
  2. Milestone 2: Consistent and meaningful family activities.
  3. Milestone 3: Established family traditions and rituals.
  4. Milestone 4: Open and honest emotional sharing among family members.

Now let's see how one can reach these milestones

Milestone 1 (Regular Communication):

• Step 1:  Educate family members on active listening and empathy.
  • Step 2: Create a family group chat where there is a weekly prompt that encourages communication
  • Step 3: Enforce agreed upon guidelines that prevent family members from using the group chat in a way that can create or add to conflict. 

Milestone 2 (Consistent Family Activities):

• Step 1: Have family members send activities they want to do in the family group chat
  • Step 2: Schedule a monthly family outing or activity that everyone enjoys. Use the group chat so people can vote on what they want to do. 

Milestone 3 (Family Traditions and Rituals):

• Step 1: Create a family calendar where family members add any important things happening in their life. 
  • Step 2: At the weekly meeting, dedicate time to acknowledging/supporting or celebrating the member(s) in their weekly happenings

Milestone 4 (Emotional Sharing):

• Step 1: Whenever conflict arises, it will be addressed in the family meetings
  • Step 2: People take turns holding a mug and sharing what they are feeling, others do not talk while the person with the mug shares. They take turns until all things are said
  • Step 3: The family provides listening support/empathy and write down 3 steps they can take to support the people involved. Same process to support someone going through a tough time. 

So now Alex can take all these goals and use either the SMART goals technique or OKRs to start working on these smaller steps to reach her goal. More complex goals such as these can take months to years so it helps to break them down and just focus on the very next step. If you use the systems right, your goals will be met while you only focus on whats the next step! 

Applying these techniques essentially helps you create systems to reach your goals. 

🔦Tasks for you (Please complete both)

Think of one goal you have. One that is in alignment with your core values. Then complete the following tasks. 

Part 1: Apply the SMART Method to it. See the example above in SMART section for inspiration. You may keep this answer brief. 

Part 2: Apply either OKRs OR Backward Goal Setting to the same goal and share with us. Please provide thorough and detailed answers for the second part of the task. 

If you chose:

• OKRs: You will need to make sure the goal is clearly defined, has a measurable element to it, and has at least 4 KRs. The KRs need to be specific 
  • Backward Goal Setting/Reverse Engineering: You only need to talk about 1 milestone that leads to your goal and 2-3 steps to reach that 1 milestone. Refer to the example above to better understand. 

Note: I understand that these methods can be daunting. You are not aiming for perfection, just apply them as it makes sense and if need be I will provide some feedback on the changes you can make to better use the method and together we will learn by doing! It is common to not get it the first time. 

This post is part of the Conquering Your Goals Series. Check out all the posts here. 

Hope OP August 21st

Join or leave the tag list here

@communicativePond1728 @Gargi07 @daydreammemories @mytwistedsoul @exuberantBlackberry9105 @Celestine22 @Zarram77 @CordialDancer @selfdisciplinedPenny281 @Maslow @Blahblah1805 @Ndyprogress @WeEarth @PiecesOfWhoeverIWas @pamharley003 @caringezra @Clio9876 @Gettingbettertoday @conscientiousNorth8778 @Mellietronx @YourCaringConfidant @Mohan75 @Purplesea7109 @redWest3902 @KatePersephone @unassumingEyes @IsayUncle @Admirablerainbow2825

Gettingbettertoday August 21st

Darn. This obviously means the other definition of Realize. 

Heather225 August 21st

these are excellent techniques to learn, everyone, and they can carry you throughout your whole life. i highly recommend taking part in the exercise to help familiarize yourself and evolve your goal setting abilities

thanks for leading this series, Hope!

gloriousPuppy3656 August 21st

Thanks Hope.

gloriousPuppy3656 August 21st

@Hope

Thanks.

communicativePond1728 August 21st

@Hope How do I set a goal without knowing what I want?

Gettingbettertoday August 21st

@communicativePond1728

That's my problem as well.  Accomplishing goals is not an issue for me. Having them is. 

Gettingbettertoday August 22nd

@Gettingbettertoday

I think the problem is I am expecting too much for these sorts of exercise. Thinking a simple rubric might help me determine a goal is folly. I lack values and that is no ones problem but my own. 

fruityHoliday63 August 22nd

@Gettingbettertoday the issue is more with the nature of goals being so transient sometimes, imo. Before you know it, you've accomplished a goal and are left blank trying to figure out what the next goal needs to be. A good way to go may be to think about your last finished goal in any area and go from there

Hope OP August 22nd

@communicativePond1728

The goal does not need to be complicated. If you can't think of one, look at the core values you identified in the start of the series and just ask yourself what goals will align with it. 

For the sake of the exercise then you can pick a goal that aligns with your core values, that you may want to achieve (or not if you just can't decide yet) and practice with the methods given. The goal is to learn how to use these methods

communicativePond1728 August 22nd

@Hope but why not just show an easy example of a goal and build off that instead of making it so complicated

pamharley003 August 21st

@Hope

Think of one goal you have. One that is in alignment with your core values. Then complete the following tasks. 

Part 1: Apply the SMART Method to it. See the example above in SMART section for inspiration. You may keep this answer brief. 

Smart: 

My goal is to fix my depression and ask my boyfriend for help

Measurable: 

Write my feelings down and keep track of what is upsetting me this way it is easier to speak to my boyfriend about what is bothering me 

Achievable: 

set a time frame in how long it will take to achieve the time frame and complete it 

Relevant:

to set a goal of what I want to fix and a time frame for me to reach 

Time-bound

I want a reasonable time frame and not go off from reaching to goal

Part 2: Apply either OKRs OR Backward Goal Setting to the same goal and share with us. Please provide thorough and detailed answers for the second part of the task. 

Key Results

I plan on reaching my goal by writing down in my journal thins I am facing and how I would like to fix it. I will give a 3 week time frame and look back at it to see if I have accomplished the goal 

Hope OP August 22nd

@pamharley003

Hi Pam! Great to see you here. 

Recommending some edits to your framing so that the goal better fits the template of the technique.

SMART Method

Goal: Aiming for improvement in my depression, measured by ___ (This can be you doing something you wish to do or scoring better on an assessment with a therapist, something specific and measurable). I will support this by asking my boyfriend to help me by ___ (you need to be specific with how you wish to have that help) and I will do so by __ (date)

As for PART two

Please use the template of the OKR method. 

Objective: Your goal goes here along with the measurement you are using to track it

KR1: Way 1 you will use to work towards the goal

KR2: Way 2 you will use to work 

KR3: "

Please apply this feedback and show us how the goal formatting changes! Great first attempt, these methods can take time to learn

pamharley003 August 22nd

@Hope

SMART Method

Goal: Aiming for improvement in my depression, measured by the help from my therapist and ., something specific and measurable). I will support this by asking my boyfriend to help me by _the date I want to reach the goal I will ask him to hear my problem and support me in reaching the goal __ (you need to be specific with how you wish to have that help) and I will do so by a month time

As for PART two

Please use the template of the OKR method. 

Objective: Your goal goes here along with the measurement you are using to track it

KR1: Way 1 you will use to work towards the goal

KR2: Way 2 you will use to work 

KR3: "

Hope OP August 23rd

@pamharley003

The first method is perfect now! Well done

Please fill in the second method template I gave above 

pamharley003 August 23rd

@Hope

@Hope

SMART Method

Goal: Aiming for improvement in my depression, measured by the help from my therapist and ., something specific and measurable). I will support this by asking my boyfriend to help me by _the date I want to reach the goal I will ask him to hear my problem and support me in reaching the goal __ (you need to be specific with how you wish to have that help) and I will do so by a month time

KR1: keeping a log of my progress and things I did in working toward my goal

KR2: Way 2 keep the time frame of a month to work on the goal and be proud of succeeding 

Hope OP August 28th

@pamharley003

Thank you

Admirablerainbow2825 August 22nd

@Hope

Part 1: Apply the SMART Method to it. See the example above in SMART section for inspiration. You may keep this answer brief. 

Goal- To lose 5kgs. In order to lose some weight, I need to do some physical activity. To achieve this goal, I will begin with walking and slowly increase the time I spend on doing the physical activity. I will use the stairs instead of the elevator. I will try this method and see results in September. 

Part 2: Apply either OKRs OR Backward Goal Setting to the same goal and share with us. Please provide thorough and detailed answers for the second part of the task. 

Goal- To reduce my time on social media.

Objective- To reduce my time on social media 

- I can try switching to journaling in my free time.

- I can read a book before bedtime.

- I can try making a to-do list the night before for the next day.

- I can learn something online or complete some of my tasks.

Hope OP August 22nd

@Admirablerainbow2825

Hi Rainbow! Welcome to the series.  This is a great attempt! I am providing some feedback to help format your goals better. 

SMART Goal

Lose 5 kgs by ___ (add date here). I will do this by walking for __ minutes every __ days. I will use the stairs instead of the elevator at my office/home.

Please fill in the blanks!

OKR

Objective: Reduce my social media time, measured by ___ (add a measure that makes sense to you, this can be how may hours spent on X social media app)

The Key results need to be definite/confident (Avoid words like 'try, maybe, perhaps')

KR1: Journal for __ minutes every ___ (duration). 

KR2: Read __ many pages of ___ book before bed every night. 

KR3: Before book reading, create a to do list for the next day

KR4: Complete at least 2 tasks everyday from the to do list 

These are the same goals you have set but I have added some things you can fill to create a more specific goal. Please complete these blanks and share with us!

Admirablerainbow2825 August 23rd

@Hope

Thank you for rephrasing it.

SMART Goal

Lose 5 kgs by _23 September__ (add date here). I will do this by walking for _10_ minutes every _4_ days of the week. I will use the stairs instead of the elevator at my university.

OKR

Objective: Reduce my social media time, measured by __the YourHour App_. Use social media fo a maximum of 45 minutes everyday. 

Replace social media by doing some other productive activity

KR1: Journal for _10-15_ minutes everyday.

KR2: Read _as_ many chapters of _the__ book before bed every night. 

KR3: Before book reading, create a to do list for the next day.

KR4: Complete at least 2 tasks everyday from the to do list.

Hope OP August 23rd

@Admirablerainbow2825

You did so well! This is great. Love it

IsayUncle August 22nd

So, right now, obligations and commitments are dictating my actions and goals for the day or for the week.

My obligations and commitments DO align with my long term goals but they happened faster and more suddenly than anticipated. This has put me in a very nerve wracking financial bind and also overwhelmed my work capacity.

With all of this happening and everything out of control, my personal setting has deteriorated beyond my own personal standards.

I guess my goal for the next couple of weeks is to try to not take on anymore responsibilities and get everything accomplished enough got my personal settings are back in order. My personal settings is what I call my core balance so I guess that's my goal is to regain my core balance. And I can only do that finishing my obligations to others. And I can only do that we're trying to work very hard everyday.

Regaining my core balance can be considered a specific goal but everything else is convoluted and muddied into everything else before it, and so it's hard to say any one thing is a goal because it's all badly tangled at the moment.

Hope OP August 28th

@IsayUncle

Life can be challenging and unpredictable, I agree its not always possible to know everything we need to do to get to our goals. 

It can indeed be considered a specific goal and I can already see some ways you can work towards it mentioned in your comment. 

OKR format

Goal - Regain my core balanced, measured by ___

KR1: Do not take any additional responsibilities

KR2: 

KR3: 

Can you please reflect on this and fill in our SMART goals and OKRs format given above

IsayUncle August 29th

@Hope

Thanks for reaching out..... 😊. no time tinvest in a stratagy.... sounds counter productuve but the dirty dishes or dog haired floor makes it obvious that's what i should do. 😁.... really crazy world for me right now..... just do it. 😱😂🤣😭. thx agin!👍

Lonewolf360 August 22nd

@Hope wow this is great i'm not sure how i'll be able to apply this to the two very specific one's i have in mind but i'm sure it'll be a great help for the smaller ones along the way

Hope OP August 28th

@Lonewolf360

Glad you found these helpful. Do share with us if you ended up applying to any goals

Clio9876 August 22nd

@Hope

I got distracted into reviewing my goals from 2 years ago! And writing new ones. Basically I got inspired as a result of the earlier posts, and wanted to tell you that. I'm less inspired by this particular exercise. But I don't think that matters. I find that writing down a goal and sharing it is often enough to help me commit to it. I think the fact that this has led to something changing in my life is more important than a completion award. So here's a terribly long winded way to say thanks for the inspiration.

Clio9876 August 22nd

@Clio9876

I'll give it a go anyway. I've just been reminded of a goal that's not getting anywhere. Maybe this might jump start it...

Goal. To initiate more physical intimacy.

SMART. I will initiate physical intimacy at least once a day for a week. Routine physical intimacy doesn't count. It must be novel in some way eg timing or type.

Objective. To increase intimacy. 

Key results

1. The other person acknowledges an interaction in a positive way.

2. Intimacy normalised to a point where it doesn't have to conscious.

3. No complaint that need isn't being met.

4. Positive verbal feedback that a change has been noticed.

Hope OP August 28th

@Clio9876

That is an interesting goal! I am glad you are working on something that is meaningful to you

Well done on applying the techniques! 

daydreammemories August 22nd

@Hope

i will study for my exam next tuesday. i will finish my notes and booklet, and study 7 hours a day. 

objective: study for the exam on tuesday
kr: lessen screen time, use focus to do app and pomodro timing, keep track of your progress, review other years' questions by the end. 

mytwistedsoul August 26th

@daydreammemories Good luck on your exam! 

daydreammemories August 26th

@mytwistedsoul

thank youu :)

@daydreammemories you're welcome :)

Hope OP August 28th

@daydreammemories

I hope your exam went well! Those are some great KRs. I recommend adding a measure to track progress by the next time you set your goals!

For example, study for the exam on Tuesday measured by completing X chapters from X book

Daunting? 😬 smoke is coming from my ears 😅 and I probably still did it wrong lol

Goal: trying new things (curiosity health and growth Self awareness )

I want to go to an amusement park (specific ) discussed with therapist (measurable) by the end of summer (achievable, relevant (curiosity) & time)

Objective: Go to an amusement park by the end of summer

Research amusement parks based on size and location

Discuss two possibilities with therapist

Narrow choice down to one that's close and isn't as big as most

Pick time to go and plan trip before the end of the season because they close over winter 

Have photos and receipts to show trip was actually made for therapist and neighbors 

I actually did go to one this past Saturday 😊 

Hope OP August 28th

@mytwistedsoul

New things can be challenging. Well done trying!

haha I think this task itself has contributed to your goal somewhat! You are doing something new 

Well done making progress! I hope your next visit is exciting and fun

mytwistedsoul August 29th

@Hope Thank you! 

KatePersephone August 29th

@Hope

Part 1: Apply the SMART Method to it. See the example above in SMART section for inspiration. You may keep this answer brief. 

• Specific: I want to gain more strength.

• Measurable: I will workout a minimum of 30 minutes.

• Achievable: I will workout 5 times a week

• Relevant: It aligns with my core value of health.

• Time-bound: I want to achieve it in the next 6 months.

Part 2: Apply either OKRs OR Backward Goal Setting to the same goal and share with us. Please provide thorough and detailed answers for the second part of the task. 

Goal: Learn a new language

Objective: Learn a new language measured by 30 minutes

• Replace scrolling time with learning said language

• Make time everyday for said language learning

• Practice what I learned during the week every weekend

• Note down words and phrases to go back to them

Hope OP September 12th

@KatePersephone

Great Goal! 

Perhaps the smart goal can be phrased this way? Does this sound accurate to you

I want to gain more strength. I will do this by working out a minimum of 30 mins for 5 days every week ad I will work upto this routine by __ date. 

I also recommend setting the goal for 1 month and then again for the next month. Otherwise, you risk losing a sense of accomplishment for meeting milestones. 

Great job on the OKR! I recommend adding something to measure it by, for example --> Learn a new language, measured by reaching __ Level in __ app by __ date

@Hope
for the smart goals technique; I want to gain more strength. I will do this by working out a minimum of 30 mins for 5 days every week and I will work upto this routine by September 30th.

for the OKR; Learn a new language, measured by reaching Section 2 in Duolingo by September 30th.