Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Understanding 7 Cups Culture (LDP Discussion #5)

GlenM July 28th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity. Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

We are wrapping up the first course today with our last discussion on culture. Look for more instructions in this post to take the final evaluation for the course to your graduation. Once you have this course complete, you will be 20% done the Leadership Development Program. Good work!

Let's start by looking at the wikipedia definition of culture:

--Culture (/ÃkÃltÃÃr/) is an umbrella term which encompasses the social behavior and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities, and habits of the individuals in these groups.[1]

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

One theme you'll notice in our guide is that it is very proactive, which is the opposite of reactive. We act first, we design first, we implement first in order to make an impact. Companies that react allow events to shape them; we instead try to focus on where we can have influence and shape events before they shape our community.

Part of being proactive is critical because building culture online is more challenging than building a culture offline. Offline interpersonal and group relationships are easier in a number of ways. People are generally much better behaved when they are right in front of you and it is easier for people to sync up and work towards a common goal. Online cultures have less of these natural strengths so you have to be extra proactive to build a strong culture. Look at most communities on the Internet. Unfortunately, they tend to devolve and become less than safe places with a lot of hate, sexual, and harmful behaviors. Our training system, the badges, word filters, moderators, etc. (dozens of behaviors we do) are all designed to proactively build and reinforce our culture so that we do not experience this same kind of entropy. Internet culture can be like an escalator going down. You have to be very proactive and take 2 or 3 steps up at a time to maintain and strengthen gains. As a leader on 7 Cups, you will be part of that group that gets behind us and enables us to continue making forward momentum.

That provides the broader background context to why we care so much about our culture and values at 7 Cups. They are core to our work.

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.
2. Take the leadership oath here
3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your trial!
4. Proceed to Course 2!

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

YoungMonastic007 October 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Work Matters - I believe the work I’m doing is changing lives out there for good, helping people, cos back when I was going through some tough times some beautiful people helped and if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t have been alive today. So I feel, it’s important and my duty to give it back to the society.

Accountability - I think we need to be accountable for whatever we own up else it wouldn’t wake the sense of seriousness in us.

Trust - It’s kind of concrete base for everything we do on this platform and if we invoke the sense of trust in the opposite person they’d open up and that’s when we actual healing starts.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@YoungMonastic007

What ways do you think we can build better trust on here with people?

generousDiamond35 October 13th, 2020

@GlenM

The guide felt so amazing to be read. It was really nice to go through this and learn about every aspect in detail.

The three things that I have learned from the 7Cups Guide and why they are important to me are as follows:

1) 7Cups trusts you and your personal growth and wants to see you achieve much more based on the strengths that you possess and not get swayed by thoughts or expectations that you might have had about yourself.

2) It’s okay to fail as long as you are working hard and trying your level best. Failures do not mean that you are a loser for life but it’s an evidence of you growing into a better person gradually.

3) Helping each other with warmth and compassion, exchanging different ideas to make the community a better place to be in, staying away from tank draining activities are some of the important factors considered by 7Cups.

Sunflower78652 October 13th, 2020

@GlenM

Three main things I learned from this guide are:

-The importance of support, collaboration, and accountability to achieve goals on 7 cups

-It is okay to fail. We should not be ashamed of it and see it as an opportunity to learn

-Self-care is very important. “An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.”

Asher October 26th, 2020

@Sunflower78652

I like your quote. Another way to look at it "you can't pour from an empty cup".

Skyglider October 24th, 2020

@GlenM

The three things that resonate with me the most...

1. Failure is expected. As a perfectionist, I try so hard to do everything to the best of my ability, but often get hard on myself if I don't do it the best. The reminder that failure is expected and part of growth, that's something that resonates for me a lot.I never took failure as a challenge or a growth step before - I thought it just proved that I was never going to succeed. This perspective is so helpful to me.

2. Friendliness and Conscientiousness. I see that in so many other listeners, in the support folks, and it makes such a difference in how everyone interacts, and how others are supported.

3. Caring for people with few financial resources. Having somewhere to get support and someone to listen when you can't afford to access a professional, and knowing that your being there is making a difference in that person's life is invaluable. It's so hard knowing that those who are vulnerable and suffering are unable to financially invest in their mental health.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@WonderfulRainbows2862

I think when we are young that we are so scared of failure until we get older, as we told when we are young that we end up in bad shape.

Asi1 October 26th, 2020

The three most important things I learned from the guide are that 7 cups help support people in financial crisis and that I care about coming from a low-income family. Failure is expected, or I hate failure I need to learn that it is only a way to grow. Fun and fulfillment is an important part of the 7 cups because it helps to move society to new levels

Dino12 October 27th, 2020

How important having trust and being welcoming is in any public setting, especially at 7cups. The warmth and compassion is maintained by having trust and working together

2) when everyone does work that's suited to their strengths it helps build coordination and communication, and utilizes resources

3) working together and supporting each other is essential

disgrace06 October 27th, 2020

@GlenM

culture is characterized and knowledge of a certain group of people encompassing language, religion, beliefs, cuisine, music, art and social habits...

every individual has their own character... every character has their own culture... trust and believe in yourself... open your heart... listen to every one... give love and peace to every one... we are not only a humanbeing... the most important thing is to be able to understands the meaning of life and the way it is and how to keep on living...

kindheartedWords6803 October 27th, 2020

@GlennM

The three thing I learned fromth guide are:

1. Equality, here at 7 cup, we new to treat each and everyone equally and respected. Having equality helps in the quality of the work.

2. Trust, we need the people to trust us with their problem, and for that to happen we need t also trust them. In every relationship be it professional or anything, trust is vital and needed for it to stand.

3. High expectations and high warmth, here at 7 cups, we have high expectations and also provide high warmth.

blitheEmbrace27 October 28th, 2020

Yes!! Equality is so very important! We never want to treat anyone like they’re different ! ❤️ Thank you so much for your insights and your post! @kindheartedWords6803

soulsings October 27th, 2020

please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1) I learned that joy is a necessary part of being a leader, but one also needs to have serious intention to use the system that supports the 7cups goals and methods to help people live healthier and happier lives by coping with the mental challenges they face.

2) Work together with others in a way that builds a sense of community and cooperation. Friends work together better than people that we argue with openly. Finding common ground can overcome differences with others. Complimenting people when we suggest improvements to them can make a big difference in how they receive it.

3) Completing things when you say you will and performing programs at the appointed times helps everyone move closer to helping other people. When we do not do what we say we will, trust is diminished so leaders are uncertain of our commitment to the mission. Members start to doubt people care about them if someone cannot lead a discussion when they said they will. Trust that is lost is hard to regain, both individually and as a Community.

First off, I have to say how wise and knowlegable your post is. Second off, I agree with everything you’ve said! And lastly, thank you for your insights ❤️@soulsings

soulsings October 28th, 2020

@blitheEmbrace27 thanks for your kind words. Trainings are a great start and experience even greater so I am drawing from my experience which makes this a little easier.

SofiaT2000 October 28th, 2020

@GlenM

I will agree to most of the fellow leadership trainees and highlight trust as the primary value on 7 cups but in our everyday lives as well. I believe that misunderstandings happen, especially in an online environement and I think that we all have spece to learn and improve ourselves. I completely agree that trust is valuable only when it's bidirectional and that we all face challenging situations sometimes so we should keep in mind values such as good intentions, selflessness and non prejudice.

This is connected with the second thing that I want to highlight which is friendliness and conciousness. It is important to stay polite and try to cooperate with others create a safe and helpful community. It is important to be reliable and respect others and their efforts. I would like to underline that politeness is a sign of respect. We all deserve to be understood but we also owe to understand and respect others. Empathy is something that we should remember because it's not only crucial to put ourselves in someone else's shoes to help them, but also to understand how they feel and remember all the times that we've been through challenging times ourselves.

As a conclusion I would like to underline that our work matters. Personally I have been through challenging times and I wish I had someone to listen to me. I'm glad that I can offer my help to people that may be getting through challenges. I understand that there may be people in need that aren't able to afford therapy and that makes us even more important for them. The fact that there are people that may be counting on us and are happier after a chat makes us overcome our own fears, manage things and feel stronger. It's important to continue and try hard to make the world a better place!

Thank you for your post! I enjoyed reading your insights.. I do agree with how far friendless can go, and how valuable it is on 7 cups ❤️@SofiaT2000

The 3 most important things I learned from the guide, and why the are important to me would be:

1. We expect failure I think majority of people can say at some point in their life they have feared failing at something, whether it be something big or small. I know myself, I fear failure a lot, as I often forget that it’s okay to fail! And reading this guide has shown me even more so that it is okay to fail. If at first you don’t succeed, try again! Failing does not always mean that you did not try your best, it’s just something that sometimes happens, and rather than seeing it as a negative thing, we should learn to see it as a positive learning experience!

2. Trust Trust is such an important key role to deleveloping healthy relationships with anyone, whether it be friends, people you work with, your teammates on 7 cups and even the members you communicate with. However, it’s something is very easy to break/take away. I myself have a bit of trust issues, from both people in real life and people on 7 cups breaking it. But, it’s important to remember that even with trust issues, you must remember to keep others trust.

3. Take care of yourself I am including this one as this is something I struggle with, and often forget about how important it is! Self care is so vital and important, it’s something I was not fully aware of even until I joined 7 cups. I’ve always struggled with learning to take care of myself before I take care of others. I never want to let anyone down, or miss the opportunity of giving some one support who needs it. However, I have experienced burn out several times now, and I am starting to learn how important it is so practice self care

DreamTouch October 30th, 2020

@GlenM

Three things I learned from the 7 cups guide are:
a) Failure is expected and could be seen as an opportunity to learn
b) Importance of high trust and high warmth in any organisation
c) Working on strength based is counterproductive and benefit both the individual and the organisation

Azalea98 November 1st, 2020

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned and why they are important to you:

Use your strengths to your advantage, everyone has different strengths and when we all band togther we all level out eachother weaknesses and it becomes just our strengths that are showcased in the best way possible

Prioritzing and problem solving is key to being a successful listener on 7 cups, and we should aim to solve the problems that matter and not get discouraged if at first the solution isn't straight forward

Collaborating is key to success and we should take advantage of the diverse and wide range of people on this website! And celebrate all our differences.

lovelyParadise7651 November 2nd, 2020

The purpose of 7 cups is to care for people with fewer financial resources.
There are high expectations for listeners and high warmth in the community.
Everyone should try their best and take accountability for their mistakes.

Anexmos November 3rd, 2020

@GlenM

Three things I learned from the 7 cups guide are:

1. When one is engaging in work that is strengths-based, it benefits both the organization and the individual.

2. The importance of building trust and warmth in any organization, more so at 7 cups. The welcoming nature of 7 cups is maintained by building an environment of trust and warmth.

3. Support and collaboration are essential to achieve goals on 7 cups.

wishfulMoment42 November 4th, 2020

@GlenM

Going through the guide, I could connect to the points mentioned below.

1. Trust
I feel faith is one of the beautiful aspects of human nature. Its the belief in other individuals which brings in a sense of togetherness in society. I strongly feel it takes real effort to reach a position where you can gain the trust of other individuals. And I also feel its a great honour when one finds you capable enough to confide in you and it's our moral responsibility to not betray that trust in any way.

2. Accountability
When it comes to accountability, I again feel its one of the attribute of human nature which brings in a sense of discipline in overall functioning. An individual needs to accountable in both senses. A person needs to be known about their good work and also their fallbacks in cases some mistakes are owing to varied reasons. Accountability brings in a sense of responsibility and ownership. And its when you feel you truly are a part of an organization where you own making a difference, it makes you function better with more enthusiasm.

3. Warmth, Friendliness and Conscientiousness
Now, these aspects are something which I feel are the essence in the way I operated on 7cups since the time I joined. I strongly believe, an open mindset is a must while listening. It's not about understanding or relating to the issues at hand entirely. For me, it's about having a mind open enough to try. It's about having patience, warmth towards the individual. It did work wonders for me while having conversations here. I feel in a society each individual deserves some patience and warmth.

Gozzil November 9th, 2020

@wishfulMoment42

I agree that trust is incredibly important and we have to work hard to cultivate it.

Mellietronx November 8th, 2020

-taking care of those who are not financially able to use other resources is important to me because not everyone can afford therapy or things like that.

-being strength-based helps you grow and focus on a positive outcome

-accountability is great since you feel like you aren't in this alone

emily2803 November 9th, 2020

The 3 most important things that I took from the guide are as follows:

1) Friendliness and Conscientiousness: This means a lot to me because both qualities develop a sense of trust within the community at 7 Cups. Being aware of your own attitude is essential to fostering a healthy and happy group of people.

2) Self-efficacy and Mastery: Development of skills is very important to me as well because self-improvement is an integral part of the way that I gauge my growth as a person. Finding challenges that match my skill level or are slightly above my skill level motivate me to pursue higher levels of achievement.

3) I Have a Gas Tank and 7 Cups Has a Gas Tank: The idea of a collective gas tank which my own gas tank contributes to. It's important for me to have a full gas tank prior to starting my work here at 7 Cups so that I can ensure that my needs are being met before I try and help others.

@emily2803

It's great that you have a thorough awareness of what motivates you, that is a really useful skill.

1. Trust

Trust is incredibly important on 7 Cups, as members are often confiding deeply personal things. However, it is also important among leaders as we must trust one another to be performing our roles to the best of our ability so that the community is safe and can progress.

2. High expectations and high warmth

I learnt about the importance of having both high expectations and high warmth and am excited to experience these values throughout my leadership journey.

3. Expect failure

This is a hard one to handle, no one likes to fail! However it's great to see it is acknowledged as part of the process.

FrenchToast November 11th, 2020

@GlenM

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1) The fact that my work matters. Be it doing something very minute to something very big - all of it matters because we are saving lives and that's more than anything else I could ever ask to do.

2) Trust! Because that is the foundation of any sort of growth and extremely important in a community like this.

3) Expecting failure because not a lot do. Edison famously said that he didn’t fail 1000 times, he just learned 1000 ways of not solving the problem - I think that's very important to understand and can be so motivating to do more and do better!

She13 November 12th, 2020

The three most important parts for me is :

Failures - It's the pathway to our success, growth, and learning. It's okay to fail as it is a part of the process.

Self-care - the need to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health.

Accountability - We should be responsible and accountable as listeners as this is a wonderful platform to help others.

Dinohorus November 12th, 2020

The three most important things that I have gleaned from the guide are as follows:

Quality: it is the responsibility of every single member of the 7Cups community to uphold the overall quality of the community. Each person has a role and must adhere to the community’s guidelines and explicit culture. Every person who strives to fulfill their role upholds the community’s quality and helps “fill the tank”.

Trust: because of the nature of 7Cups’ community, trust is a crucial element of the whole system. Members need to be able to trust listeners, listeners need to be able to trust the system, and every single individual needs to be able to trust the overall system. Trust is what allows people to flourish, which is one of 7Cups’ most prominent goals.

Responsibility: Every single tenet of 7Cup’s culture, particularly the two I’ve cited above, rely on individuals accepting and embracing personal responsibility. Listeners, particularly, are taking on an important and honorable responsibility through their service to the community. They need to accept the responsibility of time management, of professional conduct, and of accountability.

Overall, I think that the impression which struck me was one of structured compassion. Compassion is a deeply intrinsic human skill, which while practiceable and improvable, is innate to all. However, 7Cups seeks to elevate each individual’s capacity for compassion through key tenets such as the three I’ve listed above.

kdsyahirah November 12th, 2020

@GlenM the 3 most important things that I learned from the guide are:

• we need to have trust in each other. Without trust I believe that our community here in 7cups will not strong enough to face challenges ahead of us.

• we need to have high expectations and high warmth. If one of these aspects is not applied, our objective to have our people in this community felt supported or being heard are unlikely incomplete.

• most importantly, I learned that I need to take care of myself too. Taking good care of myself will be able myself to help others. Plus, helping people is my passion.

TaranWanderer November 27th, 2020

@kdsyahirah true, I think trust can be really important, especially in online formats and with so many different people, we have to be able to trust each other :) and take care of ourselves too! That's always a tough one for me, but I think if we trust our teammates, it can be easier to ask for a break

hopebeyondpain November 14th, 2020

1. Failure is expected and nothing to be afraid of. I was a little surprised by this, but it makes so much sense. We all slip up and make mistakes, and what matters isn't how we messed up but how we move forward. By making mistakes we learn how to prevent ourselves and others from making the same mistakes next time, and help make each other better

2. Taking care of ourselves. It's soooooo easy to forget this! In the midst of all the commitments and tasks and members, I do sometimes get tired, and I need to remember to set healthy boundaries, and do more self care

3. Have fun and be fulfilled. Being a listener and a leader on 7Cups is supposed to be aan enjoyable and fulfilling experience, not something to be stressed over. Sometimes, it can be stressful applying for a new role or taking a more difficult chat, but there are always resources to help relax and come back to a healthy emotional state afterwards. Ultimately, all of our work is voluntary, and we only commit at a level that works for us

@hopebeyondpain I super agree about how taking care of yourself is so easy to forget! And I think it plays really well into your enjoyment of the site too. Saying no when you are trying not to take on too much both keeps the work fun and takes care of your mental health :)

Ines1229 December 8th, 2020

@hopebeyondpain

Definitely - taking care of ourselves is so easy to be forgotten, but essential at the same time!!

usefulSummer3139 November 14th, 2020

The three things I learnt from the 7 Cups Culture guide are:

1) "Failure is growth." I'd like to mention a quote I read on failure, "the difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure."

2) Whatever little I do to help someone out, matters! Also, "with a few chosen words, we have the power to either make someone's day or ruin it."

3) Take care of yourself and have fun during the journey. In my opinion, this is the most important one of all! :)

TheGoodFairy November 16th, 2020

1) High expectations and high warmth is important in any organisation, especially 7 cups.

2) Support and collaboration are essential to achievement in the 7 Cups community.

3) Strength-based work benefits both the organisation and the individual.

Skyy0 November 17th, 2020

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

- Caring for people with fewer financial resources shows how dedicated 7cups is for being a mental health system for people of all ages, incomes, and backgrounds to get the help they need. Help can be as simple as a person saying, I understand. And it deserves to be at a fair, if not, free cost. There are so many people who don't feel heard; who feel abused and trapped by their communities, and 7cups is uniting the world with love and an empathetic ear.

- I was excited to hear about the High Expectations and High Warmth direction 7cups is going towards. Progress from every community member only shows when there are high expectations put upon us, but it must also be met with high warmth and support. Everyone deserves to be treated with love, but also encouraged in a way that sees your potential and pushes you.

- I appreciate how transparent you are about Behaviors that Drain Our Tanks; it is important to lay out the consequences that will happen with doing things that don't align with 7cups mission of compassion. Being rude to others, being distracted from what's needed of you on the site, being in denial and making excuses are all no-no's and it is important to lay out expectations of not doing these behaviors which show a misalignment with supportive others.

@Skyy0 interesting that we picked the same first 2! I think they're pretty important points. The draining one is also important, especially in work that can require a lot of emotions, it's important to keep in mind what drains us so we don't feel burnt out