Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Understanding 7 Cups Culture (LDP Discussion #5)

GlenM July 28th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity. Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

We are wrapping up the first course today with our last discussion on culture. Look for more instructions in this post to take the final evaluation for the course to your graduation. Once you have this course complete, you will be 20% done the Leadership Development Program. Good work!

Let's start by looking at the wikipedia definition of culture:

--Culture (/ÃkÃltÃÃr/) is an umbrella term which encompasses the social behavior and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities, and habits of the individuals in these groups.[1]

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

One theme you'll notice in our guide is that it is very proactive, which is the opposite of reactive. We act first, we design first, we implement first in order to make an impact. Companies that react allow events to shape them; we instead try to focus on where we can have influence and shape events before they shape our community.

Part of being proactive is critical because building culture online is more challenging than building a culture offline. Offline interpersonal and group relationships are easier in a number of ways. People are generally much better behaved when they are right in front of you and it is easier for people to sync up and work towards a common goal. Online cultures have less of these natural strengths so you have to be extra proactive to build a strong culture. Look at most communities on the Internet. Unfortunately, they tend to devolve and become less than safe places with a lot of hate, sexual, and harmful behaviors. Our training system, the badges, word filters, moderators, etc. (dozens of behaviors we do) are all designed to proactively build and reinforce our culture so that we do not experience this same kind of entropy. Internet culture can be like an escalator going down. You have to be very proactive and take 2 or 3 steps up at a time to maintain and strengthen gains. As a leader on 7 Cups, you will be part of that group that gets behind us and enables us to continue making forward momentum.

That provides the broader background context to why we care so much about our culture and values at 7 Cups. They are core to our work.

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.
2. Take the leadership oath here
3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your trial!
4. Proceed to Course 2!

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 28th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10

Well said!

peacefulWarrior10 November 4th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

Thank you <3

SofiaT2000 October 28th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10 Looks like you've learned some important things for you! Keep doing a great job!

peacefulWarrior10 November 4th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

Thank you! You too <3

lovelyNight9853 September 14th, 2020

3 things I learned from the 7 cups guide is that it is important to understand and trust others so that we can help others. Another thing I learned is that we should treat everyone equally and with respect. The third thing I learned was that it is okay to fail, but we should learn from our mistakes and grow from them.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@lovelyNight9853

Yes, trust does need to be reciprocated from both parties for things to work out well! You've learnt a lot from the guide, I hope it can help you in your life and in your Cups life as well. :)

Liru0417 September 15th, 2020

The 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you?

1. An organization that is built on trust, is built on a firm foundation. In a community where people from different walks of life come together to build a community that nurtures meaningful connection through compassion - trust plays a big role as it not only empowers but it also enables members to grow and reach the organization's mission.

2. Failing is never a dead-end in your journey and voyage as a meaningful being. Failure allows you to see areas in your life that needs extra work on. Encourage yourself to use it as an inspiration to stay focused and motivated.

3. In order to give, you must be full. In every connection with a member, you are giving a part of yourself to that person whether it is through sharing of your experiences or even just by lending a shoulder. Knowing this, you are able to take extra steps to be mindful of how you feel which prevents burn out.

@Liru0417

Hey, Liru! I love your detailed and well thought out answers. It seems like you've absorbed a lot of the guide and I hope it'll help you in the future! "In every connection with a member, you are giving a part of yourself to that person" I absolutely love that. Think that needs to be on my wall for me to remember for the future!

BeautifulMasterpiece September 16th, 2020

First, I learned that the golden area, well, blue area in the guide, is to ind something that I am good at, that interests me, and that solves a problem. I should enjoy what I am chose to do, and make sure the outcome is very beneficial to not just me, but others as well. The second most important thing I leared was that you al except failure. I have this constant need to have everything be perfect, the way I want it done. I realize howver, that not everything will go smoothly, and sometimes I may crash and burn, but it's important to have those moents so I an learn from them and do better the next time. Lastly, taking care of myself really stood out to me because not differentiating between my work self and my current self, all ties into doing what I enjoy in my own way of enjoying it. I should not have to put up a front when really I am struggling and need to take time to focus on myself. Ultimately, I am at my best when I am being myself.

@BeautifulMasterpiece

The the blue area of the picture reminds me very much of the concept of ikigai, to find most fulfilment in your volunteer and professional life. In regards to failure, what I like to remind myself of is that "every failure is a learning opportunity- will you accept it and learn from it?" I do love how you said you are at your best when you are yourself- that is so true. You can put all your energy into your work, not into putting up a facade and worrying about being drained.

MoonlightHelper1 September 17th, 2020

@GlenM

Three things I learned from the 7 cups guide are:

1) It is essential to collaborate with others as it can contribute to the diversity of ideas to maximize problem-solving and to help each other. Moreover, we should treat everyone equally and with respect.

2) We can also look at failure as something that is inevitable sometimes and it can teach us a lesson and help our self-development. It is important to not give up and keep trying our best.

3) We value warmth and friendliness because it increases trust and leads to more efficient work

@MoonlightHelper1

Hey, Helper! Collaboration is definitely so important! Two heads are better than one. That's how 7 Cups came this far, through working with others, embracing differing opinions and compromising. I love that you summarised the things you learnt and connected them with other values. <3

pizzaiscool September 18th, 2020

@GlenM

The three things I learnt are

1) My work here is important. The quality of my work has a direct impact on somone and so I need to bring my A-game

2) I am supported on this platform. All the listeners and mentors on 7cups are trained to support me and offer a helping hand

3) FAILURE ISNT THE END OF THE WORLD! Failure is expected and seen as a positive especially when you're focused on your work!

@pizzaiscool

Heya, Pizza! Every little thing you do on here is important to someone, somewhere! Definitely need to do your best to have the most influence, for sure. I love how you said "Failure is expected and seen as apositive especially when you're focused on your work"- that's such a unique perspective and one many of us need to think about! To me, failing means you're trying, and that's awesome. Keep at it. :)

pizzaiscool September 19th, 2020

@rebecca947

Hey! I saw it in one of the guides and it really stood out to me. we live in a world where we avoid failure like the plague so it was nice to read about how its a postituve sign on here!

SophTheListener2022 September 19th, 2020

@GlenM

3 important things I learned from the guide is that it's ok to fail, trust lets you grow, and helping others will not just help them but will help you. These 3 things are important to me because these are key things life is based off on, and 7 Cups lets you understand that and they have their own mission-based off of these key things.

FrostyMonkey September 20th, 2020

I learned about my strengths, my weaknessness, and that I should develop a system so i can regularly acheive my goals of becoming a better person.

Affliction1 September 20th, 2020

@GlenM

The first most important thing I learnt is that the work I do here matters because there can be times where you doubt yourself and your skills so it feels nice to be reassured that what I'm doing is actually worth it and it's an important reminder for myself that there are so many people who felt better because of me.

The next thing important to me is that 7 Cups is high expectations and high warmth. It's important to me because I've been part of online communities which were too driven and lacked love and warmth. A community is supposed to be a place where progress is made on a professional level but along with that all the people who are working on it and all others who are a part of it must feel included and appreciated.

The last thing which is of significance for me is trust. The amount of trust we all put in each other for anything, from getting a work done to managing some projects on a larger level is admirable. It is if importance because lack of trust generally is unhealthy for a community where everyone works as a team and the most crucial element in teamwork is trust. If you don't trust your teammates, then the game wouldn't last too long. It'll all be a huge mess.

KatePersephone September 21st, 2020

1. That we need to take care of ourselves. For example, to sleep good, exercise, eat well, stay hydrated, surround ourselves with loving people, take breaks, ask for help and face our personal problems. 7 Cups has programs for all of the above. In order for us to perform well at work, we need to also take good care of ourselves when we are not at work.

7cups believes in equality. Every person is treated with equal respect, enjoys equal freedom, and equal rights irrespective of the gender orientation, race, religion, or any other difference.

That not everyone will be a good fit. 7cups works hard to help us grow, discover strengths, and find work that is meaningful within their team or community. However, if they are unable to do that, then they will ask us to transition out sooner rather than later. Keeping someone on board for a longer period of time only makes it more challenging when they eventually transition out.

@kateaala

Thoughtful response!

dancingMoment7201 September 21st, 2020

@Glen M

please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

There are 3 most important things that I learned about 7 cups of tea community:

- 7 Cups is based on trust. Trust enables people to open up, rely on and connect the community.

- With trust, come with great expectation and high warm. 7 cups encourage me to grow along the way in a warm and welcome environment. However, it also expecting member to upskill and help others as well as take care of your self.

- Equality: ' we believe that every single person is valuable'. Everyone is matter and have equal respect. 7 cups embrace diversity, that is the key solution to variable perspective and understanding.

Vintagechoc September 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

The 3 most important things you learned from the guide:

1- Take care of yourself. Sometimes i am so caught up in my emotions that i forget (or think that i do not deserve) to take care of myself.

2- Equality. Every person matters heart

3- Failure. It's important to always remember that failure is temporary. It's not what defines our capabilities.

TogetherForeverAlways September 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1) Compassion is king and our priority - only then can we be true to ourselves and truly be of help to others.

2) Support and collaboration - they make what we do here so much easier, effective and succesful.

3) Kindness and respect - they are (or should be) a part of us all, and drive our personal growth forward.

CintaBali September 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

I like how you say that every single person is valuable, and that you like leaders who can be trusted and who don't make excuses. I like how you say that we are all accountable. I especially like how 7 Cups caters for people who do not have money. Your analogy of personal and company petrol tanks seems interesting.

Alwaysthereforyou28 September 24th, 2020

1. I learnt that it's ok to fail as long as you tried. Failures not only indicate what you could've done differently next time, but it also teaches you to not give up. You will fail many times in life, but in the end, it is also failures that can improve you as a whole.

2. Taking care of myself is important. To take care of others, you need to take care of yourself first and this includes taking breaks, enjoying yourself and working when necessary. All areas of health must be taken care of in order to maintain a happy life and achieve your goals.

3. Equality is also an important thing that I learnt. Everyone deserves fair opportunities and recognition no matter who they are. Everyone is unique and should be valued because afterall, we are all humans.

@Alwaysthereforyou28

Well written!

WelcomeToChat September 26th, 2020

@GlenM

I learned that Trust is of great importance in 7Cups, as the "lubricant" for smooth operations, favors delegation of tasks, reduces the energy that would be lost in micro-management and controlling people, thus making available more energy to accomplish the mission of the organization.

It is also important to me as a subordinate to trust my superior and the instructions given to me, to concentrate in achieving the sasks assigned, and not wasting energy in wondering whether I should be doing something else, etc.

I also learned that 7Cups prioritizes solving the biggest challenges first, facing the most difficult problems, and that this promotes the strength of each volunteer, as well as the team, and dislodges the main roadblocks in the path to successfully achieving the organizations mission.

It is important to me to be challenged and caf problems to solve, as this promotes my growth in skills, as well as emotionally and intellectually.

I learned that 7Cups aspires both to be a community of friendly, humane people, and to be greatly effective and efficient.

I feel that friendly human relations among members of an organization, combined with high efficiency, makes for the best combination for human flourishing and happiness. Without a friendly environment, work becomes hell. Without efficacy, goals are not achieved, and you suffer from despair, disappointment and low self-esteem.

@WelcomeToChat

Detailed answer!

friendlyEars8792 September 26th, 2020

The three most important things I've learned and why they are important to me:

1. Being Proactive: instead of being shaped by events (reactive), proactive acts first, designs first, and implements first. This gives participants AGENCY. In dealing with mental illness giving yourself and others AGENCY can lead to change and empowerment.

2. High Expectations and High Warmth: when clear expectations are set all are accountable. Being warm, caring, and accepting are perfect for learning and finding your best space.

3. Strength Based: doing what you are good at and interested in helps solve problems and set goals.

friendlyEars8792 September 26th, 2020

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 98)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. (Your percentile: 80)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. (Your percentile: 86)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive. (Your percentile: 89)
Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. You aren't particularly nervous, nor calm.

amiablePeace77 September 27th, 2020

@GlenM

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1. Caring for People with Fewer Financial Resources. The world can only heal if every person has access to help.

2. Trust. To me the foundation of a good relationship is trust, it allows everyone to feel safe.

3. High Expectations & High Warmth

We can only grow as a site being able to offer good support if we need to be able to fulfil certain requirements, perform in certain ways. It is important that everyone participating in this journey feels safe and understood not only as an act of human kindness but also to help people perform as best as they can.

ouiCherie December 30th, 2020

@amiablePeace77

Beautifully said Ami! Great notes. Agreed, it's important for everyone to have access to get help and it is important to feel safe and understood for us to stick witht the community and have the fuel to strive higher in life.

So glad I'm on your team 😊❤

queenviebsonly September 28th, 2020

@GlenM

One of the most important thing I learnt is how essential and vital it is to know yourself, know your strengths and your weaknsesses. I also discovered that weaknesses is something most of us have and it is OK to have them. Lastly, I learned the value of trusting and being kind to yourself.

September 28th, 2020

@GlenM

It is difficult to choose only three things, as there are so many that feel very important to me... I am going to try though!

So the first one would be this: We Expect Failure. It felt very powerful to read this. Failure is nothing to be scared of and it is nothing to worry about as long as you are focused and trying: so true, and yet not always recognised.

Second one: We are Strenght-Based. Again, this is something that makes so much sense. When we operate out of our stregths, we are much more productive and effective. Entusiasm and passion make the difference.

Third one: 7Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. Working in a place that expect a lot from us because it believes in us and trust us, and shows this by encouraging and guiding us, feels empowering.

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 28th, 2020

This culture guide was fantastic! Upon review, three things I learned:

1. 7 Cups has a gas tank, and I have a gas tank. I have to focus more on making sure my tank is full more often. Work, life, all those things take from my tank, and focusing on refilling it needs to be a more important part of my life.

2. Failure is expected. Whooo boy, do I hate failure. Hate it. This is a lesson I need to learn to accept.

3. Self- efficiency - problems disguised as gifts. That's another one I need to really focus on. I tend to get bogged down in "solving the problem" or ruminating on it, not modifying my thought process into making my brain realizethe problem is a gift or a challenge.

helpfuldipper September 29th, 2020

Three things I learned from the 7 cups guide are:

1) I think the most impactful thing for me was the sweet spot of finding the work you are interested in, good at and create a difference. I think more often than not organization do not tend to follow the approach and it is big reason why many organizations do not grow at a pace at which they should.

2) Collaboration and Accountability are extremely important at 7cups since we there is no physical presence.

3) Having trust and building trust is crucially important for 7cups and leaders being at the forefront of the site need to take active initiative in building it.

AffyAvo September 30th, 2020

Your Work Matters

I've spent a fair bit of time here and have supported others, I hope that matters to others.

Behaviors that increase trust are celebrated and deliberately cultivated. Behaviors that decrease trust are minimized and removed.

I hope that this ios a place where people can trust it to feel safe, it's difficult for people to open up about what bothers them if they feel distrustful.

At 7 Cups, we believe that every single person is valuable.

I do think everyone has value and is worthy of support.

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
  1. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” —Amelia Earhart
fireyseastar97 October 2nd, 2020

@GlenM

The three key things I learned from the guide is that 7 cups helps to support people in vulnerable financial situations which is something I care deeply about coming from a low-income family myself. Failure is expected, even though I hate to fail I need to learn that it is only a mechanism for growth. Having fun and being fulfilled is an important part of 7 cups because it helps to drive the community to new levels.

October 6th, 2020

My work matters:

I wholeheartedly believe that my contributions efforts commitment and willingness to make 7 cups a better place to be is why I am here in the first place. I like changing poeple's lives and helping them find hope that they didnt have before.

Trust:

I like to point out that trust is another important factor in keeping relationship strong and supporting each other achieving goals that matter to poeple and matter to everyone in the community. Without trust, there is no communicating. If there is no communicating, there is no sharing and learning from each other. If there is no that, its hard to stay on top of things when you dont feel supported or appreciated for all that you do.

I like that this site is fee and everyone is welcome to join. That just shows that 7cups is pure on Equality & Diversity. We are different from one another, but what brings us together and keeps as one unit is that we are all here for the same reason.