Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

QuietMagic July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

1) Okay, for any and all interested, if you look at the above results: what does it tell you about our leadership composition?

Based on the comparison results, relative to the general population, we have a lot more Diplomats and a lot less of everything else, especially fewer Sentinels and Explorers.

• Analyst (NT): -4%
  • Diplomat (NF): +61%
  • Sentinel (SJ): -41%
  • Explorer (SP): -15%

I'd expect this to mean that collectively, we'd be pretty good at the things that Diplomats tend to be good at, but there might be gaps in the things that Sentinels, Explorers, and Analysts tend to be good at.

2) What would be our collective strengths? Things we should really double down on? How would these superpowers help our community? OTOH, what would be our growth areas? Or areas that might be blind spots that we should be aware of to minimize making mistakes or missing important info?

Here are a couple articles I found on 16Personalities that might be relevant:

Overview of the Diplomat (NF) role

Description of leadership style for each of the four roles

Here are a few snippets from the 2nd article that provide a high-level summary:

The Analyst Leader: The logical Analyst leader will create and adapt systems with an improved organization or product in mind. Rationality is the guiding principle with such leaders. They tend toward a "matter-of-fact" approach and will have little patience for anything too sentimental or not firmly rooted in logic. As leaders, they often value inventiveness.

The Diplomat Leader: The visionary Diplomat leader will involve themselves with ideas and imaginings often linked to higher causes and values. While they may be active in their organizations, they will shine more for their ability to inspire and to share a larger vision. They look toward what the future can bring rather than the offerings of the past and present.

The Sentinel Leader: The responsible Sentinel leader will take care of business as an administrator who gets all the details right and handle things in a meticulous way. They are likely to honor the past and be strict about rules and protocols. These personality types work from a sense of responsibility for taking care of the greater good. Sentinels see their leadership role as protecting and preserving society, some slice of it or an established tradition.

The Explorer Leader: The agile Explorer leader is most likely to find quick solutions to any problems that arise and to take an organization in a new and exciting direction. They don't mind taking risks when they feel there's a decent chance the risks might pay off. They don't care about how others have done things in the past - only what the next big thing is. They are leaders oriented toward acting rather than planning and analyzing.

Here is my attempt at a condensed version of this:

• Analyst: creating and adapting systems, applying logic and inventiveness
  • Diplomat: connecting to higher causes and values, imagining future possibilities
  • Sentinel: handling details in a meticulous way, protecting established traditions
  • Explorer: moving in an exciting direction by taking risks, taking decisive action

Based on all of the above, here are some possible implications for a leadership cohort that is composed mostly of Diplomats -- emphasizing strengths, consistent with the initial post. Slightly smiling

• Leadership strengths
    • Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning
    • Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal
    • Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings
    • Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve
    • Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness
  • Leadership weaknesses
    • Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals
    • Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed
EvelyneRose July 13th, 2020

I'm an ISFJ. I'm reliable, observant, and loyal as my 3 traits. I often try to be there for people, i am strongly loyal to friends, and I observe more than I get involved. I learned that we can be too altruistic, which is definitely true for me.

positivePumpkin22 July 19th, 2020

@EvelyneRose

Hi, those are some good qualities to have.

I find myself reliant, observant and loyal too. smiley

EvelyneRose July 20th, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

awesome!

River July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

Such an awesome idea!

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

Mine is INFP-T

I learned that I am type of the person who is passionate and driven to do the things I am interested in but I may ending up burning myself if I take it too hard on myself. I am also a person who loves listening to others and have a elaborate world built in my head.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

According to the test,

Idealistic – Mediators friends and loved ones will come to admire and depend on them for their optimism. Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.

Seek and Value Harmony – People with the Mediator personality type have no interest in having power over others, and dont much care for domineering attitudes at all. They prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

Open-Minded and Flexible – A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to Mediators, and they dislike being constrained by rules. Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, theyll support others right to do what they think is right.

Petrichor2000 July 14th, 2020

@River

Mine is Infj

We r sooo similar

River July 15th, 2020

@Petrichor2000

We are!!!

@River

Hi River!!

woww!! we have soo much in common, I am an ENFP-T

I like how you have put effort into doing this.

idealism, seeking and valuing harmony, open minded and flexible are some great qualities to posses!!

SofiaT2000 October 25th, 2020

@River These are some pretty impressive gifts! I'm sure you'll do great as a leader if you're determined to succeed. Good Luck!

Petrichor2000 July 14th, 2020

What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFJ- T

Advocate

I dislike sharing stuffs about myself and dislike asking for help which is bad.

I got passion and conviction for things.

I got a way with peoples

I believe in the power of love.

SociologicalNate July 18th, 2020

@Petrichor2000

We are both INFJ-T's :) hopefully the description for INFJ-T is as accurate for you as it was for me

Petrichor2000 July 19th, 2020

@SociologicalNate

It's accurate for me too my friend.

WynterRose April 6th, 2021

@Petrichor2000

Those are very admirable qualities especially that you believe in the power of love. We are very similar. Although I recieved INTJ-A.

invaderfelix July 14th, 2020

As soon as I saw a thread about MBTI, I knew I had to hop on the bandwagon and share my own type and experiences. Anyways, let's get right into it.

I'm an INFJ. And just to be extra, I will include my enneagram as well, 6w5.

I learned the ways in which I will function in my daily life. I already knew that I was a complete introvert. My next letter was N, for iNtuition. This shows how I tend to be more future oriented rather than focusing on the present. This also showed me how instinctive I am and how I am able to use a "sixth sense" to identify certain situations. Something else I learned was my ability to sympathize with people while still being logical. I tend to listen to both my heart and my head, but my gut feeling takes the cake for being more dominant. As I've aged, I've started to use my head more often than my heart to make decisions, though. The last thing I learned about myself is that I like to do things according to a set plan rather than leaving my schedule to be flexible. That way, I can have a rough idea of what my day would consist of.

According to 16Personalities (which isn't 100% accurate but will work for now), my top three strengths are:

-Creativite

Having a vivid imagination along with strong compassion, which makes us able to find effective solutions to the challenges we face.

-Insightful

Our ability to see through dishonesty and manipulation makes it so we can get to the bottom of certain situations and be honest with those around us. Having insight also causes us to make connections between certain things.

-Inspiring and convincing

This gives us the ability to connect to those around us, being able to connect with other people's inner selves. Our inspiring nature also comes with passion for the things we stand for.

So yeah, this is basically a summary of my type and the things I've learned from it. I've become very invested in this topic and want to know the types of those around me, and I won't rest until I know.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@invaderfelix

How's your research into other people's personalities going? :p

Erato July 14th, 2020

I'm a Mediator (INFP).

I'm an idealist and an altruist that's why I tend to search for good in everything or look for ways to make things better. Not to mention, I'm passionate in everything I do and have an inner flame that truly shines which I think it's very suitable to volunteerism.

Idealistic – Mediators friends and loved ones will come to admire and depend on them for their optimism. Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.

Seek and Value Harmony – People with the Mediator personality type have no interest in having power over others, and dont much care for domineering attitudes at all. They prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

Open-Minded and Flexible – A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to Mediators, and they dislike being constrained by rules. Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, theyll support others right to do what they think is right.

Beaconx July 15th, 2020

@Erato, I appreciate your personality qualities

July 14th, 2020

Logician - INTP-T

I learnt that its a rare type. This type are intutive/craetive/lthinkers something ive always been, the curious one. There is a lot of what is told about the type that matches my personality.

Honest and Straightforward - believe that the truth is the most important factor, and they expect that to be appreciated and reciprocated.

Great Analysts and Abstract Thinkers - People with the Logician personality type view the world as a big, complex machine, and recognize that as with any machine, all parts are interrelated. Logicians excel in analyzing these connections, seeing how seemingly unrelated factors tie in with each other in ways that bewilder most other personality types.

Open-Minded - Logicians couldnt make these connections if they thought they knew it all – they are highly receptive to alternate theories, so long as theyre supported by logic and facts. In more subjective matters like social norms and traditions, Logicians are usually fairly liberal, with a none of my business sort of attitude – peoples ideas are what matter.

Beaconx July 15th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

This personality qualities is indeed awesome and great benefits to the world

July 29th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

That's what I am talking about ✋

July 30th, 2020

@DonaldDraper are you INTP as well

July 30th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

Yep. More like ANTP
You can find my post on page 2, if you haven't read already. :)

July 30th, 2020

@DonaldDraper

Ill check it out

sisterdj July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

Turbulent Campaigner
ENFP

The main things I learned about myself:
I'm way more of a giver than I am a taker, and I focus mainly on other people before I focus on myself. I guess that can become a problem sometimes, huh?

Strengths and Gifts:

Observant
I hold the belief that everything that happens, whether good or bad, is supposed to happen -- and it's part of somethig bigger. I try to notice all of these things, and never miss a moment.

Energetic & Enthusiastic
I jump at the chance to make new friends and have more diversity, in both opinions and in people themselves, in my life.

Curious
I don't hesitate to jump out of my comfort zone if it means experiencing something new. I'm 'imaginative and open-minded'!

This was fun!

Beaconx July 15th, 2020

@sisterdj

This an awesome personality

sisterdj July 18th, 2020

@Beaconx

aww thank you <3

@sisterdj

yayy!! i am an ENFP-T too!!

Seeker1898 July 15th, 2020

All I can say is that the the results described me to a T

@Seeker1898

That's great how accurate it was for you!

Beaconx July 15th, 2020

My personality type:

Defender ISFJ (Assertive)

Things learned about myself:

1. I discovered that the attributes described for Defender personality marched with my behavior.

2. I learned that I'm doing match my personality by giving support on 7 cups.

3. I discovered my profession as social worker match up with my personality

My top 3 strengths according to the test

1. Execellent analytical Ability

2. Well-developed people skills

3. True Altruistic, meeting kindness with kindness in excess

@Beaconx

That is amazing that you're so aligned with your personality and doing things to match. Are you studying to become a social worker/are you a SW?

softMusic9759 July 16th, 2020

1. What is your personality type?

I'm an INFP-T (Mediator)

Something really cool I learned was that mediator personalities comprise of only 4 percent of the population! Another interesting thing I saw was that people with this personality type find it easier to learn a second language - which gives me a bit more motivation to start learning a language!

Idealist - Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.

Open-Mind and Flexible - Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, theyll support others right to do what they think is right.

Seek and Value Harmony - They prefer a more democratic approach and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

@softMusic9759

What language would you like to learn, and have you started since this post? :D

July 16th, 2020

@GlenM

I'm an INTP-T (Turbulent Logician)

I learned that I may seem unreliable but I can be more enthusiastic and capable of spotting a problem, drilling through the endless factors and details that encompass the issue and developing a unique, I just won't be timely. I learned that I am unlikely to understand emotional complaints.

My top 3 strengths are

1. Great Analysts and Abstract Thinkers – People with the Logician personality type view the world as a big, complex machine, and recognize that as with any machine, all parts are interrelated. Logicians excel in analyzing these connections, seeing how seemingly unrelated factors tie in with each other in ways that bewilder most other personality types.

Imaginative and Original – These connections are the product of an unrelenting imagination – Logicians ideas may seem counter-intuitive at a glance, and may never even see the light of day, but they will always prove remarkable innovations.

Open-Minded – Logicians couldnt make these connections if they thought they knew it all – they are highly receptive to alternate theories, so long as theyre supported by logic and facts. In more subjective matters like social norms and traditions, Logicians are usually fairly liberal, with a none of my business sort of attitude – peoples ideas are what matter.

Enthusiastic – When a new idea piques their interest, Logicians can be very enthusiastic – they are a reserved personality type, but if another person shares an interest, they can be downright excited about discussing it. More likely though, the only outward evidence of this enthusiasm will be Logicians silent pacing or their staring into the distance.

(I'm so sorry this is late, I am having internet issues)

@Proud14

Your post is really pretty with all the colors! The way you described your strengths, such as being Enthusiastic and a Great Analyst, make you seem like a very great person

SoftAlpaca10 July 16th, 2020

@GlenM

I have taken this test many times throughout the past couple of years. After taking it again, I recieved the same results as I have before.

My Personality Type Is: Advocate INFJ-t

Three Main Things I Learned About Myself Are The Following:

1) I tend to have an inborn sense of both idealism and morality and that I often see helping others as one of my life purposes. By inborn sense of idealism and morality, it means that I have a natural sense of forming and pursuing ideas and I have strong principles of right vs wrong and good vs bad.

2) While reading about my personality type I came across this sentence, "Though soft-spoken, they have very strong opinions and will fight tirelessly for an idea they believe in." I heavily related to this, but I had never put it into words, so this helped me realzie more in depth about this idea of myself. I took this sentnce to mean that I often hold my opinions to myself, but I take my opinions and fight for them with all I've got, even though I may seem silent about my opinions in a crowd of people.

3) The final thing I learned about myself was that I tend to go past my "breaking point" in order to help and support others through their hard times. By this it means that I focus on others instead of myself and I need to keep in mind that I must take care of myself too, espeically if I want to continue aiding others through their struggles.

Three Strengths/Gifts According To The Test And Their Description

Creative – Combining a vivid imagination with a strong sense of compassion, Advocates use their creativity to resolve not technical challenges, but human ones. People with the Advocate personality type enjoy finding the perfect solution for someone they care about. This strength makes them excellent counselors and advisors.

Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion. Advocate personalities see how people and events are connected. They are then able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter.

Inspiring and Convincing – Speaking in human terms, not technical, Advocates have a fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in their audience. Advocates can even be astonishingly good orators, speaking with warmth and passion. This is especially true if they are proud of what they are speaking for.

(Other strengths that were listed were decisive, determined and passionate, and altruistic)

@SoftAlpaca10

I am SO glad this test has helped you put how you feel into words! And you sound very much person-centred, which is amazingly suited for the allied health field too. :)

bigHeart71 July 18th, 2020

@GlenM

Virtuoso ISTP-T

I'm too private - this is way too accurate because i know a number of people but they hardly know a quater of me. I tend to look for new exciting experinces and i easily get bored. I'm always looking for new approaches/ways to carying out tasks and this can be frustrating to people around me that prefer to stick to one known approach.

I'm optimistic and energetic. I'll tend to look for the positive side in any situation.

I'm creative and practical. My imagination goes along way when it comes to building things, like craft.

I'm rational. I mainly rely on logic reasoning to arrive at decision.

@bigHeart71

These sound like really nice personality traits! Being "too" private is not always a bad thing.

Optimism is great - we really need more of that!

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.

My personality type is INFJ-T. I am described as a "Turbulent Advocate."

I learned that I am more likely to question myself more and am more sensitive to stressors, which is very true/accurate. I do see my purpose in life as helping others. What I found interesting was that people with this personality type like to go to the heart of issues, so people do not need to be helped at all. I notice this a lot as I progress through my Sociology courses. :p It is important for people with this personality type to care for themselves, and I have noticed that at times I do put others' needs ahead of my own.

1. Insightful. I am able to recognize dishonesty and disingenous motives. I'm able to get at the heart of issues and create more honest discussions.

2. Determined and Passionate. I do have interests in my life I am passionate about, and I have the determination to pursue my passions.

3. Altruistic. At the end of the day, I want to continue to use my strengths for good and create a better place/society, even if it is only in the area around me.