Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. ÃÂ

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here ÃÂ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

magicmango26 March 15th, 2022

@GlenM

- I am very conscientious and tend to be well-organized, reliable, and careful!

I enjoy having novel experiences, am very well-organized, and I am extremely social/energetic!

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I think that the strengths that I have identified will allow me to build long lasting relationships in my personal life and allow me to better connect to others.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

Being energetic will allow me to help individuals be more positive, my empathetic nature will allow me to better understand others, and being reliable will allow me to be there for users for long periods of time if necessary.

KBeauty12 March 23rd, 2022

@magicmango26

I believe you are on the extrovert spectrum. I have a mixture of both even though I come across as an introvert. Social skills are great skills to have, I can socialize, but not a full 100% sociable person.

AuroraBriarRose0 April 26th, 2022

@magicmango26

I like your positivity and think it'll bring you a long way both on 7 cups and in life.

Zarram77 March 22nd, 2022

@GlenM

I learned about myself that I enjoy novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.

My strengths:

• Open to Experience
  • Agreeableness
  • Disciplined and organized

These strengths could only help me if I use them in the right way. My strengths are compassion, Altruism and Passion. If I use them in my daily life, I would be able to make my relationships, career, and personal life better.

By using these strengths, I can show members and listeners that there are people around them on whom they can rely. By showing compassion and through altruism, I can help a fellow in need without expecting anything in return.

@Zarram77

We have similar strengths. I like how you said that you like to do things to others without getting anything in return. There is a term that states it is better to give than to receive.

ASilentBunny March 22nd, 2022

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learnt that I am well-organized, self-disciplined, careful, sociable, friend, fun loving and talkative. However, I am not in particularly nervous, nor calm.

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test? Well-organized, supportive and courteous

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life? These tests helped me to learn more about myself and figure out some stuff about me. I should use this qualities more in my life, by helping more in my community, meeting new people and of course creating a positive environment for everyone!

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career I actually figured out that the qualities that I possess, leadership, communication, organization, problem-solving and flexibility skills will definitely make me a successful leader here on 7cups!

@GlenM

The things I have learned about myself aren’t new. These are things that I know about myself, however for the “N”, I tend to get nervous in certain situations and this is something I must work on.

My top 3 strengths according to this test are open – mindness, conscientiousness, and agreeableness.

The strengths I identified on both test can help me in my personal life in a positive way. In general, I am open to new things. I like to test my creativity, what I mean, its only when I am doing something, the ideas start to flow. Having such traits are good, being organized is a great skill to have, I am not perfect at this, but it helps with having some order in life.

The strengths I identified on both tests can help me in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in my career by one thing for sure, completing my tasks. My strength in ‘agreeableness’ is a great asset to 7 cups. Being kind to others and being able to relate to others, I tend to be empathetic towards the individual. For my career, there are strengths that I can work with, for eg organizational skills.

Shadowmoonmoon March 28th, 2022

@GlenM

The five-factor model not only helps me to better understand myself but also how I compare to others.

I am open, extroverted, and agreeable.

I will focus on becoming a bit more organized since I am low on that.

I know my personality type makes me easy to talk to and gives me natural leader ability.

@Shadowmoonmoon

My results were similar to yours in some aspects, I need to work on my organization too lol

TheRusticMystic74 March 29th, 2022

@GlenM

On Openness, Scored 42 on this , meaning that Dont seek out new experiences (I little surprised with this one)
On Conscientiousness, Scored 17, meaning that I am messy (Completely agree 😂).
On Extraversion, Scored 66, meaning that I am a social Animal (Agree completely agree).
On Agreeableness, Scored 40 meaning that I am neither extremely forgiving nor irritable (Agree middle path is good.
On Neuroticism, Scored 63 , meaning that I am an anxious person and get worried(I agree).

After taking the test i think i agree with most parts of it and it makes me wonder can i change a few parts about me or not specially the worrying part.. I worry a lot and thats been taking a toll on my health.

I think my openness, extraversion and Neuroticism, are the best traits which show that i am open to changes and worry to the end regarding who thinks what of me and so am perfect with attention to details with things that every one wants. So good admin and great with people i can live with that.

I think that they both show that i am a caring person who cares a little too much about the way the world thinks about me. They are my strengths and they are my weakness as well. I need to focus on myself a little bit more than what the world thinks of me.

On 7 Cups, these strengths enable me to put out the best quality work that I can, and be focused on the ultimate goal of improving the quality of service that is provided to members, an equal focus on members and listners and there mental health as well.

Dan76 April 2nd, 2022

1. I learned that I'm not particularly nervous or calm, which is definitely accurate.

2. I'm open minded, agreeable, and relatively in control of my emotions.

3. I think the more helpful aspect here is being able to understand my weaknesses, so I can work on mitigating them. Like how much more I focus on others rather than myself.

4. I think these tests will help me connect with others both with similar personalities, and those with different ones.

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@GlenM

Moved around a lot as a kid. Mid-range intro-extrovert.

Not extremely forgiving or irritable.

Tend to worry about things, even though I knew this, it's quite the thing to read and realize on a deeper level.

Open-mindedness

Organized.

Supposedly the high scorers tend to be anxious and high strung, which I scored highly on. I didn't see this as a strength but I suppose it could be.

The more you know yourself, the better you can improve and evolve.

I can aim more towards focusing on things from these strengths, the natural and developed strengths, rather than Spending time creating a strength from ground zero.

Doing my job and living my life, as well as being evolved in a role here on 7 cups that my certain strengths can help and push me to do better instead of the other way around.

Elise849 April 24th, 2022

@GlenM

I'm generally more critical than forgiving. I'm very high on the open-mindedness spectrum.

I'm open-minded, good at critical thinking, and good at finding patterns out of things that seem random.

I can find roles that are suitable for me and that won't push me too much into territory I'm not comfortable exploring.

Same as above. I can find suitable roles and better serve the people here.

victoriousVoice21 April 24th, 2022

@GlenM

1/ I took the test and I learned some new things about myself , i learned that I'm a creative and altruistic person but I can be pretty disorganized and slightly nervous. And those are things I'm willing to work on and better myself !

2/ according to the test my top 3 strengths were creativity , open-mindedness and friendliness .

3/ I tend to capitalize on my natural leader skills and open-mindedness to help others and benefit myself and my surrounding ! I'm also an empathetic person so I can put this strength into better understanding people and relating to them.

4/ i think being outgoing and friendly but also creative and empathic will help be in my future leadership roles to connect with others and direct them

MelodyoftheOcean May 14th, 2022

@victoriousVoice21

Those are amazing strengths Voice! Keep it uup! *offers you cookies and tea* 💙

GoldenNest2727 April 26th, 2022

I've taken this test before, I'm a bit surprised that I have continued on the same path. My results remain the same.

Extraversion, Open-mindedness, and Conscientiousness

I can call on those strengths when I'm facing a difficult task or problem.

GoldenNest2727 April 26th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

My answer to #4 failed to post. My answer is the same as in #3.

@GlenM

I tend to take a more haphazard approach when solving problems (which sounds pretty accurate), I'm not reserved or sociable (also, sounds accurate), and I am highly anxious.

My 3 strengths from this test are being open-minded, good natured, and supportive.

I believe the strengths outlined in both tests can help me find a direction in my personal life
of where I want to go moving forward.

The strengths outlined in both tests and help me improve and enhance my role and career by helping others meet their personal goals.

https://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/results/?o=100,69,94&c=44,88,19&e=44,69,50&a=94,100,81&n=81,75,75&y=1990&g=f

@AuroraBriarRose0

You seem like a really supportive person that clearly wants to help others. Thank you for all you do on 7Cups! ❤️

Train1 April 28th, 2022

@GlenM

1.What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I found a couple of points about my self that I was not really aware.
I enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. And I am extremely outgoing, social, and energetic.

I am conscientious, agreeable and extraverted.

I think that being extraverted helps me to meet new people and learn from them.

My ability to be agreeable helps me to respect other peoples opinions.

My conscientious strengths help me to be a organized leader.

I believe that the strengths mentioned help to make me a responsible leader that is suitable for 7 cups and in my career in general. It is great to be able to analyze them in these tests so I know what areas I need to work on as well.

May 24th, 2022

@Train1

Those traits are good at getting a very well respectful leader.

FrenchMarbles May 4th, 2022

@GlenM

I didn't like that link, it kept asking for really specific questions such as my post code, then my age, and my gender, so just thinking of safety issues with that.

You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. [91%}

You probably have a messy desk! [3%]

You tend to shy away from social situations. [30%]

You find it easy to criticize others. [2%]

You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. [ 98%}

I'm open to new experiences

I'm very disorganised

and I'm high strung(!) [gee thanks ha!]

I am open to new experiences - this is good because it means I'm more likely to try new roles to see if it's a good match!

I'm disorganised - but as of recently, I've cut out my roles so I have a more focused goal of improving the quality of listeners by being a quality mentor.

High strung - something to be aware of for sure!

(oh, I just answered them LOL)

@FrenchMarbles

Being open to new experiences is definitely a great strength. And you seem very passionate for the program too! 💜

@GlenM

I really like the Big Five test, I think it's a good way to figure out strengths as well as to learn about where you can improve. Thank you for that post!

Looking at my results, I am learning one thing. I can see that I am really open-minded towards others, that I enjoy helping and supporting.
But the second that the thing is about me, I don't look after myself. I am disorganized, insecure and pretty introverted, as I don't want to be a bother to others.
I think this is something I would like to work on.

Looking at the first category "Open mindedness", I can see that I scored very high. My strengths in this category include being original, creative and curious. I can actually see that.
I like to create things, f.e. express myself through writing, which covers that originality and creativity. But I am also a very curious person, I like to try new things, visit new places, and once I stepped out of my comfort zone, I love meeting new people as well.

I can see many strengths in the category "agreeable" as well, that I actually do agree on. They include sympathetic, forgiving and supportive. I guess I am a sympathetic person or at least always trying to, the best way I can. I forgive very easily, because I strongly believe that everyone deserves second chances, as everyone makes mistakes. And if I wouldn't be supportive, I suppose this would not be the website for me. I love supporting others more then I like to support myself. I like to spread smiles and positivity, or simply to be there for those who need a listening ear.

Empathy - It can help me in my life to find friends, to understand them and to be there for them. It can help me with any social situation, be it in my free time or at work, that may ever come up.

Generous - I like to give. So maybe looking at it, I can't benefit from being generous, but as it is something I enjoy doing, it can bring happiness to me too. I want to uplift people in any way I can, so I think that this is a strength I am really grateful for.

Open-minded - Same as Empathy, it can help me with social interactions and it can make others feel heard, feel safe around me.

Sympathetic / Curious - Showing sympathy to others can maybe spread a smile, make a day, appreciate someone who needed it. I would love to be able to do that. And by being curious, maybe this can be stronger then my introversion and help me to meet new, amazing people!

Original / Creative - As I said in the previous post, I love to create art. Be it a song, a piece of writing or just anything that falls into that artsy category. Focusing on that strength of originality and creativity can be something that I go back to, once I need a break. It can take my mind off of things and help me to avoid burn-out

Forgiving / Supportive - In and out of Cups I want to be there for everyone, as I find joy in supporting others, handing them a helping hand. Supporting them and being forgiving, rather then judging them, I can make an impact for them, and do what I love most. Being there for others.

Empathy - My leadership roles so far focus a lot on quality and on the rooms. When I am offering mentorship, I need to be there for my mentees, show them I care. As a care team leader I want my team to know that they are always are most welcome to reach out to me, as they mean so much to me, and in my chatroom roles empathy is often the key to resolve conflict.

Generous - Especially in the chatrooms showing that I will support everyone who might need it is so important. I want to give all the love and all the cookies to everyone in there. I think most people know that by now soo, *hugs offered*

Open-minded - Being non-judgmental is one of the key points in active listening. I don't only listen to members though. As a peer supporter, chat supporter, listener chat room supporter and mentor I can use those skills and strengths everywhere that I go. Listeners are just humans as well and showing them that I will never judge them, and that they are safe with me is really important to me.

Sympathetic / Curious - In the group rooms new listeners come in all the time. Often that can be a scary thing, going into such a new setting for the first time. But I can be sympathetic towards them, I can be curious about who they are and what brought them here, as long as all the boundaries get respected. I hope to make that start easier for all those who are new to the rooms.

Original / Creative - I love to come up with new ideas, and 7Cups is still growing, developing, it is a process and I feel honored to be part of it. In the past I have worked closely with the care team to improve it in every way that is possible, to bring new ideas into it, but I came up with new ideas and scripts for the chatroom teams to, f.e. the music event pop-ups. I will try my best to keep that creativity flowing!

Forgiving / Supportive - Making the rooms, especially the member rooms, a safe space can be challenging. But by supporting each and every individual and forgiving mistakes, I can do my part to improve them and avoid any conflict.

Thank you for reading through this, I hope it was insightful! *offers you some tea*
Have an amazing day!
💜

May 24th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

you did a good job at saying how these traits can help you on cups and off cups.

gentleFox20 June 1st, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

Thank you for such an insightful post Mel. Your understanding of yourself through these tests really shows. I have personally seen these strengths in you throughout cups! 😊

Glencia89 May 16th, 2022

@GlenM

I learned that although I'm open-minded, I am not agreeable as I thought. I could dislike other's opinion but not showing it on the outside. I need to be aware of it.

Open to new experience, sensitive to worries and emotion, and not inclining to introverted or extraverted.

Openness helps me to understand people from other culture, which helps me to make friends. Neuroticism could be a trouble for managing emotion, but it means that I am mindful about my situation. Being balanced on social style means that I'm pretty flexible on those circumstances.

Firstly, being open-minded give me a chance to see things from other's point of view, which could help me to understand other people's intention and advice. Neuroticism could be a bit problematic, but with proper skills it can make me sensitive about time and thus make me more punctual and responsible. Being neither extraverted or introverted makes it easier for me to communicate with both type of person.

@Glencia89

I really liked how you phrased your ability to communicate well with being neither extraverted or introverted, that's really interesting.

Harsvin May 18th, 2022

@GlenM

I have learned that I am Open minded( percentile score 77) - where I'm relatively open to new experiences. I'm neither organised or disorganised - Conscientiousness (percentile score 54) I'm an introvert- Extraversion (percentile score 23). And I tend to consider the feelings of others- Agreeableness ( percentile score 74) Lastly , I'm in a neutral state of emotions where I'm aren't particularly nervous nor calm - Negative Emotionality (percentile score 53)

Open minded - I'm keen on learning and growing more by being open to new experiences/insights . Also flexible in understanding and viewing certain situations in someone else 's perspective and not rigid on only one mindset.

Considerate/empathy - I tend to care and empathize with people by putting myself in their shoes or relating with their situation to help understand their feelings. Taking an initiative by asking how they are doing and providing an emotional support if they ever felt like sharing.

Neutral state of emotions - In a stressful situation, I'm not particularly nervous nor calm, as I'm somewhere in between, which I think is better than being anxious or nervous.

It helped me understand better the strengths / qualities I have in me which I could implement it in my real life. For example, I have learned that im open minded and considerate, this would be greatly beneficial in my interpersonal relationships in terms of understanding my loved one's perspective - being open and non judgemental towards them and expressing empathy to help them feel they are heard and each and every emotions experienced is valid.

All these quality/strengths I have learned in both of these test actually helped me realized and dive deep into the qualities I have in me which I think I could effectively implement it on 7cups and in my career . Firstly being hardworking on my leadership roles, completing each and every task efficiently and timely. Being open to new perspectives and experiences by having the mindset of growing and learning more as a Quality Mentor to provide an improved and insightful coaching. Last but not the least , being supportive and empathetic because it makes us feels "human " to be heard and understood, emotions experienced even in a professional environment is valid and I think having the ability to provide a safe environment to express oneself is important.

May 24th, 2022

@Harsvin

Those are some really traits to have with roles. Keep it up.

May 24th, 2022

1 already knew all the stuff.

2 open minded , outgoing and suppotive

3 it can help me make friends. In real life and be supportive to my team mates,

4 it can help me in my role as a rs and future roles.

@GlenM

I learnt that my mental health and my ADHD can make it tricky to answer some questions about my personality and they definitely have an impact on the results. I was surprised that I scored highly on extraversion as I know I'm an introvert really but I definitely do like to talk when I am around people, it's just it tires me out easily.

My agreeableness was very high which means I'm good natured, forgiving and supportive. My high score in open mindedness means that I am curious and creative. I'm friendly and talkative because of my extraverted tendancies which makes connecting with people easier.

In my personal life my strengths allow me to connect with others easily, come up with new ideas and be enthusiastic about other people's success.

My strengths mean that I can think outside the box and enjoy thinking of new projects or initiatives. I am also very friendly and try to make everyone feel welcome and valued. My empathy is high and I like to help others in any way I can too!

Glue June 13th, 2022

1. I learned I am exceptionally high on openness and conscientiousness, and I find this describes me well! I also learned I am high on extroversion, according to this test, which is a result I identify with.

2. I am creative (high in Openness), I am self-disciplined (high in Conscientiousness) and I am energetic (high in Extroversion).

3. My extroverted and energetic nature helps me express myself to the people around me—I wear my personality and beliefs and emotions on my sleeve. This is so helpful when it comes to meeting like minded people, whether for the purposes of romantic relationships or friendships. My discipline has helped me learn things I enjoy doing as hobbies, such as drawing, playing flamenco guitar and writing poetry.

4. My strengths help me bend the parameters of a problem in order to come up with new perspectives and ideas. In essence, my talents lie in thinking outside the box. This is very useful as an aspiring psychologist, as people can be so different it can be hard to anticipate and understand how their experiences and personality traits can be congruent if you only stick to theory. I am also self-disciplined, which has aided me greatly in being an autodidactic learner. I love reading textbooks and learning my instrument on my own, at my own pace. My principled nature helps me capitalize on this discipline and creativity in order to direct it towards a goal. In the case of my 7 Cups role, my strengths help me make the step towards talking 1-1 with problematic members. Members that have stories to tell, and difficulties like others, but simply cope in a way that can harm the room. I am a curious person, and this drives me to understand someone until I can empathize with them naturally, and without force.

audienta June 22nd, 2022

@Glue

Reading your post really made me smile! It's amazing how I can feel your traits through the text! I wish you all the best with following your dreams.

Kindhumanity June 15th, 2022

One of the main things I learned about myself is that I'm really empathetic, and caring, my strengths were attentive, compassionate, and kindness. The strengths will help me in my personal life because I can apply my listening skills from here, and use them to listen and help people in normal every day life

audienta June 22nd, 2022

@Kindhumanity

Using the listening skills in my day-to-day life really changed a lot for me. I hope, you'll have great experiences as well!!!

audienta June 21st, 2022

@sunnyLion4273

Hey Lion

Thank you for sharing this! At first, I was a little confused, why you would mention anxiety as a strength but now that you've explained it, it makes total sense! Thank you for this perspective!

audienta June 20th, 2022

@GlenM I'm happy to add an INTJ to your statistic...

I'm definitely more introverted than I thought. And I need to have stability to be able to be open-minded.

I guess it's being well-organized, reliant, and considerate to the feelings of others.

I think when I can give myself enough structure in my life that makes me feel safe, I can become more emotionally and socially skilled. That will enable me to explore the world more and follow my natural curiosity without getting overwhelmed and anxious about it.

I think that the domain that I'm a leader in at the moment - quality - fits my strengths pretty well, and the little engagement part that I do helps me work on my weaknesses. Two areas that I could also explore are "Content" and "Academy" since that's about learning, which is something that I'm passionate about.

For my career, research could fit my strengths pretty well.

kenzolena June 27th, 2022

@audienta

reading this was very nice, and was very nice to read your strenghts and stuff. Thank you for writting this

Ninziesss June 21st, 2022

@GlenM

result:

O: 68, C: 24, E: 11, A: 40, N: 24

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

That I am quite open for new experiences :)

Top 3 strenghs: Creative, good mannered, sociable :D