Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. รƒร‚

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here รƒร‚ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

UnicornsCottonCandy March 25th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

I just wanted to mention that i love how you color-coded your answers ๐Ÿ˜„

I can see that really represents your 'energetic' personality!

shiningSky3745 March 25th, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy

Haha thanks a lot ๐Ÿ˜€

And it surely does

mamtasha22 April 10th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

You definitely are good-natured, energetic (a little out of hand XD) and supportive

AdylynS March 19th, 2021

@GlenM

I have learned that i am extremely different from my friend.

What aspects of personality does this tell me about?

There has been much research on how people describe others, and five major dimensions of human personality have been found. They are often referred to as the OCEAN model of personality, because of the acronym from the names of the five dimensions. Here are your results:

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You typically don't seek out new experiences. (Your percentile: 54) The other person prefers traditional and familiar experiences. (Their percentile: 1)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are neither organized or disorganized. (Your percentile: 42) The other person probably has a messy desk! (Their percentile: 0)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You tend to shy away from social situations. (Your percentile: 34) The other person is relatively social and enjoy the company of others. (Their percentile: 77)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You find it easy to express irritation with others. (Your percentile: 34) The other person finds it easy to criticize others. (Their percentile: 0)
I know understand myself plenty better and why i do things

Cristen April 13th, 2021

@AdylynS
Hey there! I like that you posted your results along with your rating for your friend! I did that too and got my friend to do the test so that we can compare our results - there were slight differences which I found interesting. My friend said that from how I rated him and myself - I seem to think pretty highly of him XD

So I think our views of ourselves and each other can actually differ slightly - hence the difference in results.
This reminded me of a video I watched before about how a selected number of people were asked to describe themselves to a painter and their friends were also brought in to describe them to the painter. This resulted in two different paintings for each of them! The paintings that the friends described turned out a lot more beautiful compared to the paintings the people described themselves.

By the way, sorry for going on this tangent cheeky but basically I think it's heartwarming to see how people would think more favorably of others compared to themselves.

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

1. I am very mindful

2. I am open minded

3. I know myself

4. In a 7 Cups role this can help me by easily being able to work with others.

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@optimisticDay8079

I am open minded, mindful, not afraid of being myself

mindful, openminded, i know myself

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

They help me learn about my personality

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

in a 7cups role this will let me easily work with others

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

That I am introverted :/ I thought it was pretty extroverted but that's okay lol

I'm open minded, Imaginative and warm

Well I don't know but I least I know a little more about myself now: )

It would help me determine my leadership style!

@thisisirene

My Big 5 test scores also said that I'm an open-minded person. I think it's a beneficial trait to have as the world is becoming more and more globalized every day! What do you think?

thisisirene March 25th, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy Yep. Hopefully this trait gets more and more extended!

@thisisirene

Imaginative is a great and important characteristic

@GlenM

1. To be honest, there wasn't anything about the results from the Big 5 Test that surprised me because it matched my personality 100% as it was just a reflection wrote about me. It was amazing how the test could figure out my personality with great accuracy.

2. According to this test, my top 3 strengths are the tendency to be an inquirer, being critical, and being open-minded. Tending to be an inquirer is describing my personality to be curious and stay creative while being able to develop my original ideas into complex ideas. Being critical is being able to give honest feedback or opinions to other people. Lastly, open-minded is being able to accept other perspectives and new opinions.

3. I feel that the strengths I have learned about myself were the ones that I was already aware of because it was beneficial in my personal life. I can say being creative and original was the strength that helped me the most during my academic life during English classes where I need to analyze different texts and produce my one piece of essay which delivers my own opinions about the text based on evidence. It helped me in engaging with different parts of the texts and making reasonable interpretations.

4. I think being open-minded and being friendly are the strengths that will help me the most in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in my career, which will be related to psychology but not specified yet. This is because both the leadership role on 7 Cups and my career are strongly associated with the interaction with many different people, understanding different perspectives, and empathizing with other's feelings. Being open-minded can help me accept other's opinions and perspectives while being friendly can make people feel comfortable when they are talking to me.

kindLemonade March 26th, 2021

@GlenM

Open-Mindedness

High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.

You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 92)

Conscientiousness

High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.

You tend to do things somewhat haphazardly. (Your percentile: 21)

Extraversion

High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.

You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. (Your percentile: 92)

Agreeableness

High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.

You find it easy to express irritation with others. (Your percentile: 20)

Negative Emotionality

High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.

You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. (Your percentile: 87)

kindLemonade March 26th, 2021

@GlenM

I leant that I tend to enjoy taking risk.

-taking risks, staying out of comfort zone

-being honest and upfront with people, do not mind disagreement

-extraverted hence good when working in groups!

My current job requires me to work with a lot of people so social skills are required,therefore my innate strength can aid me. Also, ability to take risk is always beneficial in life.

- since i don't mind disagreement, i can be an honest listener, both showing supports and also be truthful to the members.

cuteeeezombieeee March 31st, 2021

I'm mostly introverted but quite open-minded. I can be pretty messy when I want to, but find a way to accomplish my task anyway.

Agreeableness- I always consider the feelings of others and take their opinions into account.

Conscientiousness- I am usually messy when it comes to stuff like homework, but tend to stay ultra focused if given important responsibilities.

Open-Mindedness- I like being creative in figuring out a solution to my problems. I'm also open to new experiences and trying out others' ideas.

They helped me learn new sides to my personality. I can put these to good use in both my personal and professional life. As for personal life, being agreeable means I can always find a way to avoid an argument and deal with it calmly instead. Open-mindedness will help me grow as a person and learn new things about the world and people all around me.

Learning about my strengths will help me to work smarter. The result will be more productive as I will be able to pick roles and career opportunities that highlight my strengths.

Ahmed April 4th, 2021

@GlenM

1.What were the main things you learned about yourself?

- The test indicates that I'm more anxious person than I thought as well as I'm disorganized and this goes with my intentions to work on these aspects to reach a balance that helps me achieve my goals as well as focusing on improving my strengths

- being open to new experiences: this helped me to have a much broader perspective towards different life events and made me try and explore new things that gave me more confidence to aim for higher goals.

- The test says I am neither particularly social or reserved: This kind of balance through these past few years in university gave me the opportunity to enjoy others presence and get along with new people in social events and as the same time I still enjoy my alone time.

- The test says I'm good-natured, courteous, and supportive: I'm happy to be there for people in time of need and listen and I think being on 7cups gave me a new window to practice this with people from so many different backgrounds and it brought me joy to be able to help

By working on sharpening them and improve and be more persistent towards my goal. I shall use them as a starting point to build a better me compared to myself today.

- These strength would help me get started and support me as I work on my own weaknesses to make a difference during my leadership role or my career.

Cristen April 13th, 2021

@Ahmed
Having a nice balance in extraversion sounds so good!
Wish I had that but I'm way too introverted - not that I can't be sociable but it can be really draining at times cheeky

Ahmed April 13th, 2021

@Cristen For me i do have my awkward moments and also times when i feel drained by others so i can understand what you mean to an extent. Applause to you that you go out of your comfort zone and be sociable at times even with it being draining. That is really brave

Cristen April 14th, 2021

@Ahmed
Aw thank you! You're too kind hehe X3

herealways27 April 5th, 2021

That I'm pretty conscious, introverted, and calm/relaxed.

I'm conscious and can be close-minded at times, calm/relaxed, and tend to be a little critical.

I'm more conscious about my strengths and weaknesses now, so I can be more mindful before responding to someone. I would consider re-thinking about my choices several times before carrying them out.

I value honestly and that would help me give the best guidance to those who need it. Hopefully others would find me reliable, that would make it easier for me to carry out my role effectively.

Cristen April 14th, 2021

@herealways27
I get where you're coming from! I'm a pretty direct/honest person myself but I can be somewhat harsh and blunt at times XD
So I'll have to work on being more mindful in my responses too blush

herealways27 April 5th, 2021

It seems like you really appreciate being open-minded and extraverted, I would be too! I think being open-minded is really essential for being a good leader!

WynterRose April 7th, 2021

@GlenM

That my introversion/extroversion was overall balanced well and I think that's accurate, deep reflection is a must and a core of my personality.
Independence, Versitality, Determination

They can help me build my career using those good characteristics

For determination, it would help me not to simple throw in the towel or be discouraged when I am having long discussions with others, for versitality it can help me be open-minded to diversity and a variety of individuals.

Readylistener April 7th, 2021

1. I learnt that I am quite introverted! I also learnt that I am not messy, and not organised (I'm somewhere in the middle!) Moreover, it validated the fact that I just like exploring new things and having novel experiences.

2. My top 3 strengths are being curious, good-natured, and supportive

3. The strengths I've identified in both of these tests can help me with my social relationships, especially since I've realised just how introverted I am. The tips the tests gave (mostly the mbti) can also help me set healthy boundaries. They also helped me identify my strong points and further affirmed the fact that I was making the right choice in choosing psychology as a future field of study.

4. The strengths I've identified, especially open-mindedness and being insightful, aid me in becoming a better listener. As a leader, they are what motivates me to see the potential in my team. They allow me to work efficiently and communicate effectively with my team members. As for career-wise, they are what allow me to look for the best in people and just remain optimistic and explore every avenue. Since I wish to go into a field like psychology, these qualities (along with creativity and the rest of course!) are of utmost importance to just explore an idea in-depth and understand people better.

generouswings April 8th, 2021

@GlenM

1. It helped me knowing a lot about my own personality. It's not something that I didn't know about all these earlier, but this helped me in deciding that my assumptions were true about myself.
2.what I learnt from this is that I'm very open-minded, I'm neither particularly social or reserved and I'm neither extremely forgivable nor irritable.

3. Being open minded is a great trait, or that's what I believe. It can make people believe in me and share their fears and secrets because they know that they wouldn't be judged. It's a great trait to have if someone wants to connect well with other people.

4. Again, being open minded would help in 7 cups and my career as well. In 7 cups, both listeners and members would be able to trust me because they know that they're not being judged, and I'm genuinely concerned about them. I'm a school student, so in my career, I'll be able to make more friends because of this nature.

@GlenM

What are the main things I learned about myself :

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 90)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are neither organized nor disorganized. (Your percentile: 48)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You tend to shy away from social situations. (Your percentile: 38)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good-natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You tend to consider the feelings of others. (Your percentile: 74)
Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things.

What are my top 3 strengths according to this test:

I think my top 3 strengths will be

1.Open-mindedness

2. Conscientiousness

3. Agreeableness

How can the strength Identified on both tests help me in my personal life :

Honestly, I am biased over here I am using the 16 personality test more as a reference here than the big 5 test I don't know if I am allowed that or not but yeah

So according to both the test I consider other peoples emotions I am open-minded and like to explore but I have principles that I believe strongly I am neither organized nor disorganized so I can be reliable in a relationship but know my boundaries

How can the strength Identified on both tests help me in my personal life:

According to the tests I consider other peoples emotions I am open-minded I can take feedback and use it to improve I am not an idle dreamer I take concrete steps to realize my goals and which means I am open to exploring and taking steps to realize whatever goals I have

Cristen April 13th, 2021

@mamtasha22
Hello again! Just wanna say that I felt more biased towards the 16 personality test as well cheeky i think i related more to that test instead of this one but this was also pretty informative!
Your high level of open-mindedness and agreeableness is admirable!

mamtasha22 April 13th, 2021

@Cristen I think because the 16 personality test is more well structured designed better and has more slightly more research behind it is what makes it more believable

Cristen April 14th, 2021

@mamtasha22
Ooooo yeah...you're right! The Big 5 test does seem to be more limited in that regard surprise
Wooo MBTI XDDDD

loveagape April 11th, 2021

My O is 84%

My C is 38%

My E is 65%

My A is 29%

and my

N is 69%.

I'm easily anxious or nervous.
O N E

That I can do more mindfulness on regular days.

I will help myself to calm down more!

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

I learned that I have am considered agreeable, which means I get along well with others.

They were open mindedness, extroversion, and agreeability

Mainly, I think they can help me grow socially I continue through school and life.

Being extroverted and open minded will allow me to connect and reach out to new people comfortably.

EmpathicPikachu April 11th, 2021

Hello Glen,

I hope you are doing great and staying safe. Big 5 is really a unique test in a way with more questions. The percentile scale helps alot to learn where we stand. So, I thank you for sharing this test.

A: I learned that I am not as introvert as I usually think I am. Most of scores I received were in middle percentile so I know where I need to work on myself. I learned about my flexible nature since I gave bit different answers to some questions than earlier.

A : Open-minded : Its same as before I tend to be non judgemental and its an important strength of mine.

In Middle of Introvert and Extravert : I am not that much outgoing but when I do I am good at expressing things in a good way.

Agreeable : I tend to stay away from arguments while being good at finding middle grounds.

A : They can help me a great deal since knowing about myself better can help me in nagivating through my own personal issues and issues involving people I care about. e.g. I know I am open minded so I can do well in rigid discussions involving politics, etc.

A : On 7 cups, I feel they can help me in connecting well with the community as my open mindedness and calm nature can help me to tackle issues with ease. Also analytical side of me can help in learning things in a reliable way. In my career as Medical Professional, all my strengths can help me in developing good relations with my patients while also helping me to communicate well with them. They can open up easily about their mental or emotional struggles while also sharing things which might help me in reaching diagnosis earlier.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Cristen April 12th, 2021

The Big 5:
Open-mindedness โ€“ You typically donโ€™t seek out new experiences.
Conscientiousness โ€“ You probably have a messy desk!
Extraversion โ€“ You tend to shy away from social situations.
Agreeableness โ€“ You find it easy to criticize others.
Negative Emotionality โ€“ You probably remain calm, even in tense situations.

This test has pretty much confirmed most things Iโ€™ve noticed about myself from past experiences. The open-mindedness aspect however is something new since I didnโ€™t realize that I typically donโ€™t seek out new experiences. Personally, I would say that Iโ€™m not opposed to trying out new experiences. So thatโ€™s interesting!

> Being able to remain calm and levelheaded even in a crisis.
> Being down to earth which according to the Cambridge Dictionary, means being practical, reasonable and friendly.
> Being quiet, I personally think can be a strength as well especially for the times when you need to listen and let others be heard.

The strengths identified in both the MBTI and the Big 5 tests, I would say have already been helping me in my personal life especially with regards to the first strength Iโ€™ve identified above i.e. being able to keep calm and carry on. This, in combination with my other strengths especially curiosity, has helped considerably with my outlook in life, mental health and well being. However, thereโ€™s always room for improvement especially in the weaknesses department!

Career wise, as a law graduate, being calm, rational and practical are always good strengths to have. They can also be very helpful in a leadership role on 7 Cups since Iโ€™ll be able to maintain boundaries and keep things professional. Iโ€™ll also be looking to improve on my weaknesses while Iโ€™m at it though!

SweetDreamer69 April 13th, 2021

Hey everyone! Hope this message finds you all in good health!! โค 1. The main things I learned about myself is that I'm relatively social and I enjoy company of others. 2. Generally relaxed, supportive and reliable. 3. I believe that if I actually inculcate these strengths in my day to day life, I'll be more relaxed and will gradually increase my confidence level as I'll be able to socialise with everyone around me. 4. Both the tests mentioned some common strengths i.e., being reliable, Tolerant, able to work in teams efficiently, well organised and enjoying novel experiences. This will definitely be helpful when i work with everyone around here on 7 cups as well as in my personal life. Thankyou so much for actually making us take this test. I really appreciate it. Was able to find alot of things about myself!

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

I tend to be open minded, conscientous, neutral with social interactions, neither irritable or extremely forgiving, and not particularly nervous or calm. The open mindedness will definitely come in handy as an active listener on 7 cups when interacting in one on one chats. Both tests mentioned I was reliable, which is definitely a good quality to have as an active listener on 7 cups.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

@MarleyR the open mindedness will come in handy when making friends and decisions while being conscientous will help me when I return to school.

compassionateTree4567 April 19th, 2021

@GlenM

Minful yet ability to stay in present
Open minded, conscious, and respectful

treating others with an open mind and respect

By treating people with kindness, being responsible and respectful

kissemdiesel April 19th, 2021

How can i take the tests so that i may reply?

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

The results of the test didn't quite shock me as these traits are something that I deeply connect myself to. The test highlighted the following: Open to new experiences, neither organised or disorganised ,relatively social and enjoy the company of others, considerate towards the feeling of others and generally anxious and tend to worry about things

2. What are your top three strengths according to this test

According to the test ,being extroverted, considerate to others feelings and open to new experiences are my top strengths

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life

Living in a society, allows us to be dependent on people in different phases of our life and the way we can give back to those who have mentored, supported and nurtured us, is to do the very same by being and considerate to others and offering help when they are in need. This allowed me to be an altruistic empathetic which brought forward my love for volunteering and social care. Being open to new experiences is life nurturing and fulfilling as it allows me to close a door and welcome another, spark creativity and learn valuable lessons. Being extroverted helped me overcome my weaknesses and allowed me to open myself and communicate efficiently with anyone.

4. How can the strengths you have identified on both tests help you in a leadership position on 7 cups and in your career.

Being open to new opportunities, allows me to spark my creativity and put it into action when planning new strategies and mechanisms. Being considerate to others is yet an essential skill that a leader must possess which makes them a successful one as well. This trait allows me to consider ideas and opinions of fellow members and support one at times of need and importance. Members are the bridging step of an organisation and they are motivated through the support of a leader. Being an extrovert assists in my efficiency in discussions and sharing of ideas and plans.

peacefulIris56 May 7th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708

Yes. Being open to new experiences help us explore, connect to other people and grow.