Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Systems vs. Goals (Discussion 4)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In todays discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here  and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy. A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldnt integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, youd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but itll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

Another example might be education. I dont really care all that much about grades for my kids. I mostly want them to learn and enjoy learning. We talk about what they learn, we draw things, they make their own educational videos, they explain things to me in their own words etc. I want them to have a system of learning and refining their perspective on things. If they have this system, then having good grades will be a natural result of enjoying learning.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages. Or, zooming back, think about this leadership development program. We could have an arbitrary goal of training a certain number of new leaders to serve our community; or we can co-create a system - this leadership development program - that helps people become leaders. The natural consequence of the program will be a higher number of trained, competent, and strong leaders that can better support our community. Â

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

IShiFood August 12th, 2022

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?
I think having a firm system in place as far as managing my different clients will help me manage my tasks more efficiently.
What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?
1. Buy a timer and use it to help me break up my day and create systems that help me better serve my clients.
2. Set very strict boundaries as far as when and where my clients can contact me. By setting these boundaries, I have a better picture.
3. Forcing myself to take breaks. Playing games, indulging in movies and etc.

niceworldmnd August 13th, 2022

@GlenM

The system i want to set up for myself is to be proud of the progress that I am making.

1. never settle for less
2. value the work/feeling i am doing /having .
3. not to forget how far I've come.

August 22nd, 2022

@GlenM

A key system I need is one that helps me manage my time based on an effective schedule and be satisfied with the progress I've made.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

- celebrate successes through rewards

- set a good schedule that is flexible and serves its purpose

- set appropriate boundaries when needed

Here4good74 August 30th, 2022

@GlenM

I think focusing more on healthy eating habits, instead of losing weight, this way keeping healthy is an important factor to succeed.

commitment, consistency, and Continuation

SirenOfSerenity August 30th, 2022

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

- A quote I resonated most with the article provided was "The purpose of building systems is to continue playing the game. True long-term thinking is goal-less thinking. It’s not about any single accomplishment. It is about the cycle of endless refinement and continuous improvement." This is true for my own key system, endless refinement and continuous improvement in the way I maintain my health as well as the way I Coach and Counsel others who come to me for this support. Three behaviors I can implement to help gradually grow this new system in my life would be tapping into my top 3 strengths in everything I apply myself to, according to the Big Five test in the previous discussion: Open-mindedness, conscientious and extraversion.

Strawberrymitts101 August 31st, 2022

@Glen M

+What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

**I need a system that will help me stay fit and active as I mature in years.

+What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

**Behaviour 1: adding a reminder to my phone to measure my blood pressure once per month

**Behaviour 2: outdoor exercising by walking/ cycling to my car everyday; and doing yoga twice per week

**Behavior 3: indoor exercising at regular timed and mapped out intervals during a week on a matt or with weights at home or in a gym

yourbuddy30 September 28th, 2022

@Strawberrymitts101 seems like a motivational system you could have. Good luck with that!!

November 2nd, 2022

@Strawberrymitts101

good luck on your journey.

KimByeongIn September 4th, 2022

@GlenM

The system I need to set up in my life and which I'd be implementing from right this second is to be a man of my word. I need to do what is right and in line with my principles. It's right, goals are not what makes winners, its the day-to-day life of everyone and how they work/act in this moment that matters.

The three behaviors that would help me would be:

1. A clear mindset that I'm doing this for myself and this community.
  2. Stop any procrastination.
  3. Be on my schedule

Mari228 September 12th, 2022

@GlenM

A key system I need to set up to help me succeed is self-care. Mainly because at this very moment I have a lot going for me like a decent full time, subbing, volunteering here, taking enough time for family and friends and my pets, taking my vitamins everyday, and working on exercising a bit twice a day and lots of water some tea. Seeing the article and video made me think of what I was taught in high school and college about growth mindset in learning our faults instead of fixating on weakness and enjoying the journey itself to the destination thid also is a good example of my situation where I’ve made goals to get a full time and I attained it and I’ve had goals go graduate school and I did and while I was happy at the moment I was still living my life afterwards and things didn’t feel as meaningful and felt like I was at an end Whereas practicing a system to cultivate and include skills like listening empathy has helped me continue things for a long time I also just realized too that instead of just focusing on just thinking I want to graduate with honors I looked around me instead and did programs and events here and there that kept me interested and helped a lot with graduating successfully while also keeping with me these unique experiences and courses I took

Three behaviors I can implement to help me gradually grow the new system in my life are the following:

-Set aside 10-15 minutes to journal and read my past entries I read mine the other day and realized how it’s helped me see where I was and what it took to get me here and want to continue that even if I don’t always have the time

-learn an easy breathing or grounding technique that I can do whether at home or work whenever I worry or feel too drained from doing things that take a lot of energy.

-doing something creative or small course programs like this or if not than reading spiritual type books that help use my thoughts and imagination at least for myself in some way

@Mari228 Self-care is really important and it is one of the best ways to maintain our sanity. I really loved the idea about making a journal. Definitely would be helpful. Thank you for sharing that. Maybe I will work on that

fancycloud1234 September 24th, 2022

@GlenM

1. I have realized I need to keep track of my goals in a diary at least weekly.

2. There is something called a wellness wheel that I want to implement.

3. This will help me fix the next step I need to take in certain aspects of my life - This is my system and three types of behaviors.

iCareUK September 26th, 2022

@GlenM

@Yourstruly2000

I have realised that my dream to become a Mentor here is a goal, and I need a system in place to reach that, so this course is a great start, I tend to have my mind on the goal too much and in turn, find it very hard to concentrate or focus on the ways towards that goal.

I also have learning difficulties, ADHD and Autism so this also gives me difficulty doing these courses as my brain can switch off, I forget things and totally lose the initial point.

Three things I need to do to improve myself is firstly to respect I have the above issues, and use them as strong points rather than weak points, ADHD and Autism although can be mainly negative also have many positives that can help me to succeed, but I really do struggle, 2) If I get overwhelmed or confused, step back for a short time and seek some support from mentors which I have fears to do mainly due to my past experiences in the real world, and finally to complete any training available to improve myself not only on 7 cups but in life.

@iCareUK Seems we have similar goals. Your 3 ways to try and work on those systems is very inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing that with us

@GlenM What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

The key system I would set up is to do something that makes me happy. Rather than setting a goal I think would give me temporary happiness I decide to do things which are interesting to me and which I can be efficient at. My goal right now would be to finish my 4 years of college efficiently and giving my best during these years. The system I would apply is give my best every day and working hard to earn a living.

At cups my system I would apply is to be more active and people find it easier reaching out to me. My goal was to be an academy mentor, but after reading this post, my key system I would be applying is to give my best in the role. To reach out to as many trainees/interns and help them out in their respective journeys.

3 behaviors implement-: I guess it is human tendency to set up a goal and work for it. I would try and remind myself it is important to work on systems rather than my goals.

Make a goal, and rather than working on the goal have a made-up system and focus on the system rather than the goal.

Give my best to focus on my systems. The article really helped me change my perspective and I agree with that. Systems sounds as a better way in accomplishing something rather than setting a goal. Thank you for posting this as a part of course work. Very helpful

November 2nd, 2022

@yourbuddy30

I think you would be a good Academy mentor.

yourbuddy30 November 3rd, 2022

@Goalsforlife Thank you so much Goals!

CosmicMiracle October 24th, 2022

Setting boundaries. As an empath, I've always felt energies. If I enter a room, I can easily pinpoint who is having a bad day and go to that person whether or not we know each other to attempt to cheer them up. This was especially hard when I was still teaching in a local engineering university. My students are 98% boys and aren't open to discussing thoughts and emotions. But I still tried to make make a safe space for them to open up.

This was beneficial and I have developed friendships from that effort as time passed by. But it became a bit taxing especially in the past 7-8 years. They have access to me 24/7 and they know I'll go out of my way to be there for them should they need me. However, more often than not, I find myself with lack of sleep and rest, in tight financial situations, and even in compromised situations just so I can be there for them. The same goes for my full-time out-of-Cups life. I keep taking over things because I can and I want to.

I have started the journey towards setting up boundaries as part of me taking care of myself. It's still a struggle most days especially with decades of not having it, but I try my hardest and best.

What are 3 behaviours you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

I have to make peace with the fact that just because I can means I'm supposed to do it.

I have to honor myself and my needs before I am able to provide care, help, and assistance to others as I cannot give from an empty cup.

I need to learn how to say no.

November 2nd, 2022

@CosmicMiracle

I am also working on setting boundaries. Good luck on your Jountry.

November 2nd, 2022

What i am working toward on cups right now is getting higher roles on cups like chatroom. Mentor or some. Mentor role or some day become a mentor leader.

1 Master the skills I need to move up in l rooms

2 become a better mod by spending more time in teen and 18+ newbie hub.

3 I think I would make connects to help me getting into higher roles.

zareya November 11th, 2022

@GlenM

A key system I need to set up in my life to help me succeed is to be more organized and productive.

Three behaviors I can implement are 1) keeping a planner for my tasks/things to do 2) taking breaks in between to relax and recharge 3) set a time limit for those breaks as well as for my studying or whatever I'm doing at the time.

BenittaJ November 14th, 2022

@GlenM

They system i want to set up is in myself - Change my way of thinking & working .

The three things i would like to improve myself on would be

1. I lose interest fast cant keep at something for long , i want to improve that.

2. I get Emotionally attached.

3. Change my talkative nature . I trust n speak freely/openly to strangers and tell them my secrets to them and they take advantage.

chocolatebunnyy November 17th, 2022

@GlenM

A key system I can implement into my life is balancing my school and personal life.

3 behaviors I can use:

1. Only having a specified time to do schoolwork

2. Adding personal items into my schoolwork (aka making it more fun)

3. Putting more work into harder classes and less for the easier ones.

Immakindlistener22 November 28th, 2022

@GlenM

I need to set up a system to take my school work seriously.

I will do so by having a proper sleep schedule, study timetable and avoiding distractions

Josh3889 December 2nd, 2022

Hello everyone.

I would say a key system to have in my life would be to clean my room & to maintain that level of clean. Things that I could change in my system would be: A quick 10 minute clean up a day, glasses & containers to be out of the room on the same day & to organize my papers.

iStarlight December 2nd, 2022

@GlenM

I believe myself having 3 behaviours that need to set up to help me to succeed in my life is that :

1. Communication which helps to be able to effectively express my ideas up and down the organization or with society of any culture

2. Confidence where i believe with my courage in my own competence, Believe in my ability to learn, problem-solve and Belief in my own intrinsic worth.

3. Character of mine where I have Honesty, Loyalty, Patience, Sportswoman, Enthusiasm, Persistence, Passion and Motivation

claj333 December 7th, 2022

@GlenM Self-belief is my system. My three things are self-compassion, inner confidence and mindfulness.

sweetnutella December 9th, 2022

@GlenM

I need to build a system that helps me stay consistent and motivated. As a small business owner, I think I have to rethink my approach as to why I'm pursuing what I'm pursuing because achieving my goals won't help me stay in the game for long.

1. I need to teach myself social media marketing so that I can come up with brand new posts to promote my business with every single day;
  2. Continue learning new sets of skills that will be useful for my business in general (especially since I produce my own goods);
  3. Read books on entrepreneurship.

BrokenWingsThatFlew December 19th, 2022

@GlenM

A key system for me is organisation. Once things are laid out neatly and easy to find, it helps the process along quite a bit. Having a system of routinely using things and putting them back in a pattern, helps me both in my home and work as clutter contributes to stress.

1. One behaviour is creating a schedule of doing things and sticking to it avoiding delays.
  2. Cleaning is also important to find the time to declutter and arrange systematically
  3. Perhaps the most important behaviour is self appraisal, checking in to see how I am going and don't be too hard and improve on fallbacks

CurrySoup12 March 21st, 2023

@GlenM

I need to setup a system for taking breaks from doing long periods of work. I need to be able to spend time and relax without thinking about doing work. I am usually always concerned with doing work and staying productive, I need actual times where I can breath.

Three behaviours I can implement are: awareness, patience, and confidence

Awareness of the times I need a break can help me know when to stop working

Patience with myself and others around me is key as I learn to adapt to this new mindset

And Confidence in the work that I get done and not worried about always doing more

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

The system I want to set up for myself is not to be too trusting and giving to people around,Natural I’m good at emphasizing with people and they tend to prey on that,so I want work on it,I used to feel that my emphatic nature was my weakness but I want to work on it.

Three things I’ll fix is my

Saying No and not be a people pleaser

Loosing interest in things I start

Being overly concerned and filial

I would implement for my growth

Being firm

Being hardworking

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@GlenM I've been thinking about this a lot recently actually. I was thinking I need to set up a health and wellness "system" so I make self-care a priority not an afterthought and something I do reactively when I'm stressed or don't feel well. My plan was to exercise and meditate first thing in the morning, drink more water, add more vegetables and fiber to my diet and make sure to practice some music during the day.

serenePeace3726 January 30th

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life time management, my forever struggle. to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow

• Firmly decide what my biggest priorities are.

• Better schedule my time and recognize I do need to take occasional breaks, and it's OK.

• Start a task set a timer and work on that task until the timer goes off. 

yourbuddy30 January 30th

@serenePeace3726 Hello Peace. I hope you are aware that this thread is outdated and no longer a part of LDP. 

serenePeace3726 January 30th

@yourbuddy30 I did figure that out at the end and had to go back and do it again. I was just following the links at the top and didn't realize there were two links. but my bad on that.

yourbuddy30 January 31st

@serenePeace3726 I hope you have the right thread now Serene. 

serenePeace3726 January 31st

@yourbuddy30 yes I do! Lesson learned! Thank you for checking on me.

Hope4Tomorrow32 May 19th

@GlenM What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life? a system I would like to set up in my life is daily prayer I could do this by building my relationship with God Reading my bible more and going to church