Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Systems vs. Goals (Discussion 4)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In todays discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here  and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy. A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldnt integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, youd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but itll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

Another example might be education. I dont really care all that much about grades for my kids. I mostly want them to learn and enjoy learning. We talk about what they learn, we draw things, they make their own educational videos, they explain things to me in their own words etc. I want them to have a system of learning and refining their perspective on things. If they have this system, then having good grades will be a natural result of enjoying learning.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages. Or, zooming back, think about this leadership development program. We could have an arbitrary goal of training a certain number of new leaders to serve our community; or we can co-create a system - this leadership development program - that helps people become leaders. The natural consequence of the program will be a higher number of trained, competent, and strong leaders that can better support our community. Â

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

IcicleSnown May 5th, 2021

@GlenM

A key system that I need to set up in my life to help me succeed is the system of doing things that keep me motivated to do work, such as this latest motivational video, IT'S TIME TO GET HUNGRY! - Powerful Motivational Speech for Success - Dan Pena Savage Motivation - YouTube, recognizing the full important of trying to get something done, and keeping my faith in myself high enough.

IcicleSnown May 5th, 2021

@GlenM

A key system that I need to set up in my life to help me succeed is the system of doing things that keep me motivated to do work, such as this latest motivational video, IT'S TIME TO GET HUNGRY! - Powerful Motivational Speech for Success - Dan Pena Savage Motivation - YouTube, recognizing the full important of trying to get something done, and keeping my faith in myself high enough.

3 behaviors I can implement to help me gradually grow that new system in my life: Better self-control, Avoiding seeing the show I really like when I should be working, Rewarding myself with things, such as that show, AFTER I have done work.

Banjothebudgie May 5th, 2021

@GlenM

The video link isnt working for me. :)

Banjothebudgie May 9th, 2021

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

I want to use a diary to check and plan daily activities.

I want to wake up at a certain time(still deciding) to allow for the most work hours.

I want to take more selfcare breaks which can help me achieve my goal.

DigitalKnight May 9th, 2021

@GlenM

There are many things i want to improve, but here are a few of them :

1. I tend to be lazy and procrastinate alot. The system i would set up here would consist of gradually starting doing things right after they are on my list and not delaying them

2. I struggle hard with determination. I usually lose the enthusiasm to do something very quickly. I want to start taking new tasks, which are easy and take a long period of time to complete. i can focus and work on them daily without much trouble, and gradually i will move on to harder ones.

3. I find myself overdoing things for people who never appreciate it, and it hurts. i want to be more selective, help those who are really in need, and who can atleast approve, if not appreciate my help.

Again, thanks for the great post <3

peacefulIris56 May 9th, 2021

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

A system where I can achieve and maintain abundance..

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

Maintain self-discipline, have a positive outlook and allow opportunities to come into my life that brings abundance of wealth and happiness

lueurspace May 12th, 2021

The key system that I need to set up in my life currently is to make a schedule and be professional with it. We are asked to be professional on 7 Cups as well but after hearing from my dad that I have actually been unprofessional by being *too available* for others and neglecting my own self. It's good to help others but being professional means that you have firm boundaries with people and are not letting your own self break them. I believe if I realize how all of it is under my control and I have the say in what I do, I will remain professional and stick to a schedule, practising healthy boundaries.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

(i) Say no when I have already reached the time limit to be somewhere and excuse myself

(ii) Prioritize things and not feel bad for not being able to help at times

(iii) Remind myself often that putting myself first and doing things that are important to me is not selfish

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

May 12th, 2021

As a student of a highly competitive program at a well known university, I need to set up a system to help me achieve my academic goals while maintaining balance with commitments I have such as 7Cups.

3 behaviors I can implement to help me gradually grow the new system in my life...

• Set up a general schedule so I’ll know when I need to do what.

• Turn off my notifications when I’m studying so I don’t get distracted.

• Recognize all progress made instead of getting discouraged when I don’t do well.

LovetoGod May 13th, 2021

@GlenM

1. I guess whatever I would do in any field or anything in the future I would try to focus on system not on the goals. Systems are helpful in proceeding towards our goals moreover they're best to learn and enjoy. I guess goals just give lots of pressure and if we couldn't get success it makes feel bad. But system always makes us to learn and getting experience. I guess this post totally relates to me bcoz I always focus on system not on the goals moreover I don't have any goals 😅. For example, I am in 12th standard I focus on my syllabus and to get good marks not focusing on that what I would do after high school. And I only try to do the things as usual routine or just add new things in it.

2. 1. Hard work 2. Stop wasting time 3. Give your best and learn and enjoy whatever you do. Don't think about results.

lueurspace May 13th, 2021

@LovetoGod

hey Love, good seeing you again! Red heart

You are very right with saying goals may make us feel a certain kind of pressure, so making a system is much better for us long-term! It's about the learning experience and about the journey to get there. Fall in love with the process, the result will take care of itself - that's what I believe! I am in 12th grade currently too, I did not think we'd have such a big thing in common! What subjects are you studying if you would like to share? I am wishing you the best of luck with finishing the syllabus and scoring extremely well in your final board exams. I am doing the same thing, focusing on what college to apply to and all, haha. It may distract us from currently focusing on our studies! So I get what you mean.

Good luck with the breakdown of behaviours and habits you will be working on. You got this! Trophy

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

LovetoGod May 13th, 2021

@lueurspace

Nice to see you again too 😃

I would love to appreciate one thing about you that you try to reply so many people in the forums and it really appreciates other people.❤

And thanks for replying me again. Glad to know that you are in 12 th but I would like to tell you that I am not in the badge of this year. My exams got postponed due to the pandemic,moreover,I have chosen Arts. And I literally don't care about the future.bcoz no one knows it so it's better to focus on the present system 😄❤

And wish you big good luck too 😃

lueurspace May 13th, 2021

@LovetoGod

aw thank you so much Love ❤️ I appreciate you getting back to me with all the responses too! You're such a kind and sweet person.

I am the same as you, I'm waiting on getting the finals dates of the 12th boards! I was in 12th grade last year too, hehe. So just hoping to done with it soon! I see, you're studying Arts currently, that's great! I'm studying Science :) You're so right, we can just focus on the present and do our best. Thank again for getting back to me and for your good wishes! Lovely hearing from you

LovetoGod May 13th, 2021

@lueurspace

Awwww that's so sweet of you. You are an amazing and sweet person as well . Good luck💖😃.

May 19th, 2021

I need to invest my time consistently and daily in helping others, because this leads to rise in my mental wealth and ultimately a lot of fulfillment and peace.

i) I can Actively Listen daily on 7cups and wherever possible (online/offline), and help spread the message of harmony.
ii) I can enjoy my learning daily, make educational presentations, videos etc., to enable myself to then be able to efffectively teach (I am a teacher).
iii) I can daily help my mother in household work.

Ethan May 23rd, 2021

One of the key systems I would like to implement in my personal life is eating healtily and exercising daily. In the past I have always come up with "goals" I should meet to become healthier, but these goals have often stopped there and then the motiviation to carry on has been last. For example, eating my 5-a-day is a goal on its own, but if I were to implement a "eating healthily" system then eating my 5-a-day would come naturally. To start on this new system, I have been going on a one hour walk each day, and substituting unhealthy snacks like crisps and biscuits with fruit and vegetables instead. To continue growing this system I will carry on with the healthy eating and the daily exercise, but will gradually add new things, such as with exercise I'm planning on starting swimming again at my local gym.

ThisIsLauren May 23rd, 2021

I can’t stress enough the importance of healthy boundaries and self care. Giving in to others can cause you to lose yourself in the attempt to please others. I also need to work on improving my interactions with others. Thank you for writing this!

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

A key system I need to set up in my life is being more outgoing and less shy.

The three behaviors are saying hello to my school's crossing guard and guidance counselor who opens the school door, participating in class, and sharing more of my ideas in group projects at school.

greatfulSmiles6152 June 15th, 2021

@Brinaa101
I'm pretty shy too, so I can relate with wanting to be more outgoing. I think you have come up with a great system though, and I hope it works out!

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@Brinaa101 best of luck with it, you can do it :D i know being shy is incredibly frustrating at times, you've got this <3

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

The best teachers are those who tell you where to look – but don’t tell you what to see.” – Alexandra K.Trenfor

What's the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable." --Anonymous

loveagape June 14th, 2021

A: that I need to find away that I can live with happiness, love, hope, and faith.
A: I think I need a new system so that I do not have so many arguments with parents.

greatfulSmiles6152 June 15th, 2021

@GlenM

A key system that I need to set up in my life to help me succeed would be to implement healthy habits to increase my productivity. This is because I tend to set many goals for myself but often struggle completing them or complete with unsatisfaction because I haven’t enforced a key system.

Thus, I want to:

1. Exercise often
  2. Remove the fear of failure
  3. Have an open mind to learning new things
healingWhisper June 20th, 2021

I would really need to implement a system to set a regular schedule on when I will be on 7 Cups and how I would be using his time.

1. I would need to figure out a schedule that can be combined with my work

2. I would need to write down all the activities that I am/want to do on 7 Cups and implement this.

3. I would need to plan self-care breaks

1. So basically I would need to be more organized and consistent on daily basis �smiley �
milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@healingWhisper you've got this <3

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." --Anonymous

FlourishingDimensions June 22nd, 2021

I am working on a key system for my work-life currently. I keep an ongoing to-do list and prioritize them by labeling 1-4 (1 is urgent and I need to knock those out ASAP, 2 needs to try and be done today/this week, 3 needs to be done soon, but can hold, 4 is a more "nice to have" back can go on the back burner if need be") for the day. Changing the ones that carried over from the previous day. It has been really helpful in focusing on the more important issues, all the while making sure nothing else is forgotten.

1. Make it a priority for me to open this list on my laptop first thing when I log in for work to make any additions archive the "done", and reprioritize where needed.
2. Link any corresponding files to the to-do list for ease of access.
3. Keep tabs on the progress for larger items, add progress or status column?

unique73 June 27th, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions
That is amazing! So happy that the to-do list, prioritizing and labeling accordingly has been helpful to you! Goodluck!❤

FlourishingDimensions June 27th, 2021

@unique73 💜

FlourishingDimensions June 27th, 2021

@unique73 thank you 💜 I'm focused and trying !

July 5th, 2021

That is so organized!!😀 Good luck with your to-do list, hope it works💙

BecauseImBatman22 June 22nd, 2021
@GlenM

A key system that I need to develop in my life is eating healthier, improving the quality of my exercise/workout, and drinking more water.
1) I usually workout in the evening but I've felt that I'm more active and energetic in the morning.Therefore, I'm shifting my workout routine to a morning session.
2) Recently found out I'm deficient in Vitamins, which is why I've started eating more foods and supplements rich in those vitamins.
3) I have to eat more nutritious foods like vegetables and fruits, and eat more protein. I'm also making sure I drink atleast 4 litres of water a day.

Thanks for the post Glen.

unique73 June 27th, 2021

@BecauseImBatman22

That is great goal to have, focusing on health is so much important. Glad you're working on it. Goodluck!❤

BecauseImBatman22 June 27th, 2021

@unique73
Thank you Uni :)

July 5th, 2021

It is important to have a healthy lifestyle in order to have a happy and healthy life ☺️! Goodluck, you can do this!!💙

JustOneMoreEpisode June 22nd, 2021

@GlenM

A key system I need to set up in my life is to stop procrastinating and daily focus on completing my tasks.

I can maintain a schedule on what I want to do today early in the morning, keep reminders and also make sure to inspire myself to work daily by taking 5 minutes breaks where I can do anything I like and then get back to my studies.

unique73 June 27th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

unique73 June 27th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

Sounds like a plan! All the best! 😀❤

unique73 June 27th, 2021

@GlenM
Thank you for the post, it was so much informative and definitely something to learn!

I have set a key system in my life that'd help me succeed and they key system is to keep learning, fulfilling my academic goals, work on myself everyday and become a better version of myself with every aspect of life.With that comes better ways to balance my life personally and professionally.

☆3 behaviors☆
~ I need to work on time management because I tend to over work and that causes effects to my health, so working on managing my time fruitfully.
~ Learn to say No. I have often seen myself agreeing to help others when I am myself in need, and then I sideline my priorities to support others, but I need to learn to say No and prioritize my needs and self care first.
~ I am still working on proper eating and sleep habits, sometimes I indulge myself in work so much that I often forget about basic needs such as food, rest and sleep that my body needs hence resulting in bad health, so I would like to work on it, for that I decided to set up reminders after certain intervals to remind me that I need to eat at this particular time and I take self care breaks in between work for 15-20 mins to avoid overwork and burnouts.

LavenderFlower September 17th, 2021

@unique73

Hi there Unique! I totally get where you're coming from with health and time management. I think something that might be useful for you is schedule apps! There's a lot of apps out there to help you plan your day better so you're not slaving on tasks. Additionally, I think for health, the most important thing you can do for yourself is to make sure to practice self-care and being mindful of what you eat. With these systems you mentioned in your post, I'm sure you will see improvement!