Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3: PL 102 - The Problem is the Path (Discussion 1)

GlenM August 26th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 3, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello LDP Team!

I am enjoying this program and I hope that you all are finding it helpful and meaningful! I'm excited about this next course. The problem is the path is the core insight that helps us evolve as individuals and as a community here on 7 Cups.

Here is an overview of this course:

Course Description: It is natural for us to want to avoid problems. Problems can cause worry, anxiety, and frustration. These are feelings that we often want to avoid. Problems, however, are the key to growth. When we face our problems directly we get smarter and grow stronger. A saying that captures this is: Progress = Pain + Reflection. This course helps you learn the value of problems by highlighting the difference between problems you might be concerned about and problems you can directly solve. Next, it walks you through the ancient practice of steering into problems directly in order to unlock their value and gifts. Finally, it helps you identify and measure progress so you can make continued gains in your personal and professional life.

1. Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

https://youtu.be/tD0aFZkFrFA

2. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8dmSgQa1c

Bonus: Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control.

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

(edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly on 29/1/2021 to update (1) to replace it with a working YouTube link)

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

peacefulIris56 May 22nd, 2021

@FawkesCare12

I'm glad to see your focus and determination.

FawkesCare12 May 22nd, 2021

@peacefulIris56

Thank you :)

Hope you have an amazing day ahead!

Suryansh May 13th, 2021

Hello Everyone!

1. Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.
~ Three things in my Circle of Concern: My Family, My Education and Future, Global Health and Justice
~ Three things in my Circle of Influence: Taking care and spending more time with my loved ones/family, taking care of my health and studying hard with consistency, environmental issues.
~ One thing I can do to Remind Myself to focus on my Circle of Influence: Say myself that I can control and change some things, not everything and so to work hard and bring a positive change in what I can control and change, rather than focussing which is not in my control. Also, thoughts and quotes motivate me a lot.

2. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
What stood out to me about the executive was that he worked hard and made changes in his own behavior instead of trying to change the behavior of the boss/president. He worked so that his strength could complement the president's strength, and that it would compensate for the president's weakness. Rather than getting vexed or griping over the president's conduct, he was empathetic and sorted out some way to work with him and the rest of his associates to help keep the workplace positive. This was what they did that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive.

Thank You!

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

@SuryanshSingh

That's a good way to look at thd situation.

DigitalKnight May 21st, 2021

@GlenM

My 3 concerns :

1) My Grades

2) My relationship and insecurities attached to it

3) My unpredictible future

What can i do?

I can study harder, not get demoralized by falling grades

I can try to give my partner privacy and personal space. I can try to be more understanding.

I can lay out a plan for my future, where i want to see myself in 5 years and start gradually working on it.

How can i remind myself?

Whenever i feel stuck or unable to cope with a problem, I need to re-evalute my approach to the problem. Is what i am focusing on constructive and solvable? If not, i need to change my focus towards my circle of influence.

Had the executive been reactive, he would probably have felt victimized like the others and unable to see any clear soolution to the problem. Instead, he was smart and proactive, he compensated for his weaknesses and made them irrelevant. He empathized and focused on his strengths, As a result his circle of influence grew and he started moving towards success. Great lesson to be learned!

@DigitalKnight

I'm happy to see you focusing on the lessons.

I am happy to see all the people that focus on self-care, the care for others, looking at situations and the bigger picture and focusing and finding solutions, believing in teamwork, having self-control, knowing what can and cannot be controlled, focusing on strengths and strengthening weaknesses, having courage and determination, being optimistic and giving positive, uplifting and encouraging feedback and support, focusing on positive goals such as academics, career and abundance for oneself and others. And also wanting to be a positive influence to create positive change. And many things more that were mentioned.

bigmac73 May 22nd, 2021

1.Circle of concern: Anxiety Depression Low self esteem Circle of influence: Engage others, increasing social intelligence and reducing anxiety Become proactive, creating self worth Respect others and don’t denounce someone. Combined with the above, this will lead to a reduction in depression. 2. The executive was both empathetic and sympathetic to their boss. They recognised the strengths yet acknowledged the weaknesses of there boss. They then focussed on the areas where attention was immediately required, understanding that this would in turn make their boss become more confident. Empowering both him and his boss.

@GlenM

My circle of concern and circle of influence are of the same same people. People who are self-determined, like to get along with others and are optimistic about themselves, others and the future. People than can learn from past mistakes and turn them into positive opportunities.

One thing to do as reminder is self-care and make sure that people are focused on themselves as individuals and also focused on themselves as a part of the collective.

https://youtu.be/tD0aFZkFrFA

What really sticks out to me is that he took the initiative in making a difference and did it in a way that was constructive.

helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021

@peacefulIris56 Amazing analysis !

GlenM OP September 14th, 2021

You are welcome!

GlenM OP September 14th, 2021

You are welcome!

shallowWater7547 May 22nd, 2021

Three things in my circle of concern are:- My education, family and health and the three things in my circle of influence are:- being consistent in studies, being healthy and stop caring what other people think of me.

Reminding myself that consistency is the key of sucess.

He was proactive and he focused on his circle of influence. He worked hard to control the situation by anticipating his president's needs and concerns rather than responding to the problem after it has happened.

@shallowWater7547 I think that it's great that you are focusing on being healthy and to stop caring what other people think about you. This will help you focus on yourself not. Also people are always going to have their opinions.

May 24th, 2021

1. Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

My future, my family, and my frailties are my three concerns. The same three things are in my circle of influence if I remain patient and faithfully let things gradually move forward. I can remind myself to practise acceptance (of my limitations) and to imbibe further composure and steadiness.

2. Next, watch the video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

He maintained his calm and kept distance from what is going on, which enabled him to read the situation and work ways to focus and expand on his circle of influence.

Bonus: Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control.

The analogy of Aunt Maggie well explains the nature of problems in life. The problems feel burdensome to bear, let alone face. Yet, if we take the courage to face and look to work your way through it, then this problem-solving journey is what brings a greater level of happiness and success in life; this is the only-way you grow and evolve as a person.

@Fristo Great analysis and detailed answer !

lueurspace May 24th, 2021

Circle of concern - studies, the well-being of my family, better future for myself and those I love

Circle of influence - performance in studies, interpersonal relationships, my own development

1 thing to remind me to focus on my circle of influence - "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at, changes." Realize what things you have control over, no point in grasping the sand any tighter, it will always just escape away

I like how he only focuses on what he can improve, little by little he decided to expand his circle of influence by being proactive. He remained calm and did not stress over what was not under his control. They took out time and slowly started working with different people, asked questions, and made a detailed analysis of their findings. He didn't react to his situation, he instead tried taking the situation into his consideration and gave it thought, did not do something as a reflex!

I will read the complete book, I am looking forward to it so much!

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

LovetoGod May 25th, 2021

@GlenM

1. 3 things in your circle of concern -: my life, my studies and my family

3 things in your circle of influence-: my studies, my family and about the world

1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence-: I guess to not think too much about the people and things I am concerned about. Moreover, doing something better than thinking.

2. This executive shows the quality of good leadership. He is proactive. He really did hard work and he focused on the circle of influence. He didn't give up. He understood and learnt things to do better. Rather than, thinking or worrying he utilized his time and energy and in the end, he got good results and got success.

The book seems really amazing and great. I didn't read whole book yet. But I will for sure. In the chapter 8 of the book, they have told us about the ways to get calm. The best thing I learned in that chapter is worrying doesn't work. And I agree with this statement. By thinking and worrying about the past, nothing is going to change. Moreover, we would start feeling anxious and worried. So it's better to accept our present and we should work on it to make our future bright. And I read about mindful exercise and gratitude it was really very well explained 😊

peacefulIris56 May 25th, 2021

@LovetoGod I like the way that you look at this. It's true that worrying or that being stuck on the past prevents us from taking the initiative and making achievements. I feel that worrying also decreases good moods and optimistism about oneself, others, the world and the future. I like how you stay optimistic and take the initiative to share your perspectives. I also have seen you support many team members in positive and uplifting ways. You show a lot of love also. By being in those ways, you are setting a great example of support and progress. Keep up the good work!!!

LovetoGod May 25th, 2021

@peacefulIris56

Yeh, I agree with you. And worrying really creates a negative and bad environment around us. And awww thank you so much. It really means a lot. Your reply always makes my day and I am really grateful for your appreciation. You are also giving me support by appreciating me. It's just awesome. Thank you❤❤

peacefulIris56 May 25th, 2021

@LovetoGod You're welcome!!!

LovetoGod May 25th, 2021

@peacefulIris56

💖

Enbyowl May 30th, 2021

1) Circle of Concern: my little sister, my health, my education Circle of influence: my mental health, relationships with those in my life, working hard In my circle of influence: I am in charge of who I have in my life. I don’t have to keep people who bring me down in my life. 2) The executive showed amazing leadership skills by looking at the circle of leadership and trying to expand upon it as well as improve upon it. He was proactive in reading through the situation.

mamtasha22 May 31st, 2021

@GlenM

Cookie My circle of concern: 1) Finances 2) Getting into a better school 3)Health

Cookie My circle of influence: 1) Start budgeting and spending less on useless stuff using the want and need technique 2) I can start studying routinely to get better grades 3) I can start slowly on building healthy habits

He was very proactive he focused on his circle of influence as opposed to others around him who were reactive and focused on their circle of concern. He used his strengths to complement the strengths of the president and grew his circle of influence and everyone trusted him Red heart

Every winner was once a loser who got up and gave it one more shot

peacefulIris56 May 31st, 2021

@mamtasha22 Yes. Maintain focus on the things that matter for a positive and successful future.

June 2nd, 2021

Identify 3 things in your circle of concern.
3 things in my circle of concern are:

• Well-being of my family, relatives, friends, and myself
  • My future (ex. studies, job and career, etc.)
  • Surrounding environment (ex. global warming, safety of the neighborhood I live in, etc.)

Identify 3 things in your circle of influence.
3 thing in my circle of influence:

• My own well-being
  • Focus and work hard on my studies
  • Take precaution to limit risk when going out to do activities in the neighborhood

Identify one thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.
Creating and sticking to a study schedule is one thing I can remind myself to focus on from my circle of influence.

Highlight what stands out to you about this executive.
This executive’s proactiveness in the situation stood out to me as not many would react in such a manner nowadays.

What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
He focused on what he could control, rather than what he couldn’t. He read the situation with empathy and decided to help compensate for the weaknesses in the situation instead of to complain like everyone else. He observed what the company needed and aligned his strength to that. Little by little, his circle of influence grew to the point where no one in the organization made any significant moves without his approval, including the president himself. The president didn’t feel threatened, because the executive’s strength complimented his strength and compensated for his weaknesses.

Ethan June 6th, 2021

1. Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.
My circle of concern: The past, my friends & family, the troubling things happening around the world
My circle of influence: Self-care/love, spending quality time with friends & family, looking after nature and the environment around me
Something I can do to remind myself: Focus on what I can control. Some things I cannot control and that is okay.

2. Highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
The executive focused on what they could control, the things in their circle of influence rather than the circle of concern. They did not complain, but instead looked at what they could do to make the situation better. They listened and empathised, they understood. They used their own strengths to ‘bounce’ off of the president's strengths, strengthening their team. The president did not feel threatened as the executive did it in a way where it was complementary to each other.

@IcedEthan Great answer as always Ethan !

3 things in your circle of concern

>Career specifically the work culture
>Future health
>Relationships

3 things in your circle of influence

>Working hard
>Adapting to situations
>Making best out of every situation

and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

>Just focus on the inner circle and the rest would take care of itself.

Watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

The executive perfectly focused on the circle of influence and maintained a positive attitude throughout.
He just focused on things he could control and shaped his staff to do the same. He analysed and anticipated the leader needs and change in accordance to that to accommodate them.
FlourishingDimensions June 24th, 2021
3 things in your circle of concern
Health
Career
Relationships

3 things in your circle of influence
Focus on positives
Grow and learn in the areas by taking advantage of training and learning opportunities
Do my best and roll with it, letting go of relationships that are no longer good for me and focusing on building up the healthy ones.

1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.
Making an actual reminder on my phone appointments because my memory is that bad sometimes and this is just that important! :)

Watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
He didn't participate in bad-mouthing or gossiping, instead, he focused his time and energy on reading the situation.
Instead of criticizing any weaknesses that he observed, he would instead compensate for them.
He worked with the president's strength and passions.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@GlenM

- In my circle of concern I have to be able to be happy, find someone to share my life with, and that my loved ones don't ever pass away + other causes of anxiety.
- In my circle of influence I have the fact that I need to do self-care in order to achieve the things that I want. I also have the fact that it is okay to be by myself and I also have a lot of time to figure that out. Last but not least is that I cannot be in control of everything that happens in life.
- Something I can do in order to remind myself of my circle of influence is thinking realistically and taking a deep breath when things make me too anxious or overwhelmed.

He was very focused on his circle of influence and read through the situation and he compensated them and empathized. He took away all the value of weakness, his circle expanded and his strength seen as a success.

ResilientLucky June 29th, 2021
My circle of concern: My career, my finances, my health
My circle of influence: discipline, patience, communication skills
To remind me to focus on my circle of influence I need to learn to take a pause and reflect upon my actions whenever required.
  1. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
He remained very proactive and focused on his circle of influence while others were reactive and focused on their circle of concern.
He didn’t indulge in complaining. Instead, he anticipated the president’s needs and focused on finding a solution to the situation. He worked on his strengths and compensate for his weaknesses.
Cazzy8752 July 13th, 2021
My 3 things for the circle of concern:
Health, finance, and family.
My 3 things for the circle of influence:
Health, education, and relationships.
One thing to remind me to focus on the circle of influence:
Slowing down, or slowing my mind down, giving myself permission to stop, and seeing all of my blessings around me. Giving gratatude.
Watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did he do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
I like how he says "think harder."? To me, it means digging deeper internally and you will find your answer. In doing so when we find the answers we empower ourselves for change to happen (circle of influence) gets bigger.
I think it's humanly so easy to be caught up in society's norms, this has been moulded into us from parents, teachers, peers, co-workers, society and media.
Knowing change happens within us by digging deeper to find the answers is very empowering. Crazy I think we all know this but so hard to do

All it takes to start making the change in our workplace or home is one person (ourselves)
All it takes to make ourselves stronger is to keep digging deeper within.
We can all be leaders, influencing others by being proactive, instead of following the norm with being reactive.

As flowers grow from seed, nurtured and tended to with care to blossom; so can we and our lives. Self-care comes in again. heart

Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups?
I don't have the book, but it sounds amazing.

Cazzy8752 July 13th, 2021
My 3 things circle of concern:
Health, Family, and Finance.
My 3 things circle of influence:
Health, Education, and Relationships
One thing to remind me to focus on the circle of influence:
Slowing down, or slowing my mind down, and giving myself permission to stop and seeing all of my blessings around me. Giving of gratitude.
I like how he says think harder - to me, it means digging deeper internally and you will find your answer. In doing so when we find our answers we empower ourselves for change to happen. (Circle of influence gets bigger)
I think it's humanly so easy to be caught up in the reactive; it has been moulded into us from parents, teachers, peers, co-workers, society and media.
Knowing change happens within us by digging deeper to find the answer means:
All it takes to start making the change in the workplace or home is one person (ourselves)
All it takes to make ourselves stronger is to keep digging deeper within.
We can all be leaders, influencing others by being proactive instead of following the norm with reactive.

As flowers grow from seed, nurtured and tended to with care to blossom; so can we and our lives. Self-Care comes again.
Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching soul
I don't have it.
wonderfulRainbow817 July 15th, 2021

@GlenM

3 things in circle of concern: Finances, living up to other people’s expectations, living a fulfilling life

3 things in circle of influence: Things you say, Things I do, My behavior

1 thing to remind to focus on in circle of influence: Only I can control what comes out of my mouth. No one else has the power to force my vocal cords to talk. Only my brain can be the one who tells me to talk.

This executive was always thinking about future situations/problems. He always did that extra step and slowly it brought the team and president back together. Neither the president nor team felt threatened or like they weren’t heard. By bringing the team together it allows a business to grow.

explore1000 July 17th, 2021
3 things in your circle of concern: job, schoolwork, and relations with people
3 things in your circle of influence: keep giving back to my community, keeping with with my grades, and family
1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence: Keep a picyute of my friends/family on my phone lockscreen

How is he proactive rather than reactive: Aknowledged president's concerns and used his own reasoning to convey a plan, fixing the problem at hand
Brinaa101 July 17th, 2021

My health, finances, and family problems. In my circle of influence, I can exercise and watch how much processed foods I eat, start budgeting, and communicate better with my family to ensure there is no miscommunication.

I can remind myself that I have the power to change things in my life and it may be hard, but I can practice discipline everyday to achieve my goals.

I noticed that they were really focused on their circle of influence to ensure that everyone was heard and they compensated them. Instead of focusing on weaknesses, he recommended ways to be better and in turn, his circle expanded and he was a better leader.

unique73 August 5th, 2021

@Brinaa101 , that's a great reminder for yourself!!

milkoreos July 26th, 2021

@GlenM hello

• my circle of concern: 1.) people I care about 2.) education & my aims 3.) helping people
• my circle of influence: 1.) meeting my education & goals 2.) taking care of people aforementioned 3.) self-care
• i need to remind myself that not everything is under my control at the moment

• what makes him proactive is that he reminded himself of his priorities & kept to his circle of influence. instead of letting circumstances get to him, he shaped the circumstances himself

unique73 August 5th, 2021

@milkoreos , I am glad you included self-care in your circle of influence, it is very important for us but we often tend to ignore our needs.