Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

Great point about a mentor :):)

magicalOcean594 July 8th, 2022

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would respond with kindness and empathy and respect, as i know that there are “limited spots” for certain roles and not everyone makes it, i would ask the leader who informed me what made that decision? And also if i am missing any qualifications or certs and if their is anything i can do to touch up on what i need for the role in the future?

CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@magicalOcean594

That is a great answer Ocean! I love that you would be kind and respectful even if you did not get the role <3 It is great to see that you would work on touching up your qualifications if needed for the role. Thank you for sharing a positive answer

Waves

yourbuddy30 October 8th, 2022

@magicalOcean594 That is an awesome approach. That is a positive outlook on things and I appreciate that

CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I was not given the role, I applied for I would initially be very disappointed and feel a bit let down with myself. However, I would reach back out to the leader to ask them about why I didn't get the role, their opinion and ways I can improve to maybe try and get the role in the future. If the role is no longer an option, I would discuss with the leader other alternatives they feel would be a better fit for me. After I had a discussion with the leader, I would thank them for sharing their thoughts with me and bringing this to my attention. I would also let them know I appreciate them for reaching out and bringing this to my attention and making me aware so I can move forwards and grow. I would use the situation as a learning experience <3 I would also allow this experience to motivate me more :)

Aileen1114117 July 12th, 2022

Reach back out to the leader is a great response. And it looks like you really want to improve and maybe get the role in the future. What a growth mindset!😀❤️

Discussing with the leader about what other alternatives would fit for you is also a great idea!

It sounds like you want to use failure as a learning experience! That's amazing! I hope you keep growing on your path!❤️

SparklingSeashells July 14th, 2022

@CalmWaves3939

So great to see you turn what could potentially dishearten you, motivate you!

StarrrGirl20 August 20th, 2022

@CalmWaves3939 beautifully said

Aileen1114117 July 12th, 2022

If I were not given a role, of course I'm gonna be upset but I will also ask the leader why I didn't get the role and ask what I need to improve. I will also explore what other roles I can be.

@Aileen1114117

And it's okay to be upset about it! Sounds like you'll accept your original response of upset and then move on and want to improve!

@Heather225

I would show gratitude that I have been considered, and accept that not everyone is suitable for every role. I would ask for some feedback, as to what my mistakes were, or what made me not as suitable for the role, so I can improve where my weaknesses were. I think I’d be interested to know if there was anything else I could still take on, or with my answers, whether there is a specific role they’d recommend. Definitely would highlight my gratitude and focus on what went well and what could go better.

Asking about specific roles, that's fantastic! *steals*

blissfulTouch29 July 22nd, 2022

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? However, your reaction is normal and valid however you don't have to be rude about it. You can ask questions. What would you say to the leader who has informed you? Ask questions. Ask them to explain something more. See what you can do differently and if it is something you really want keep trying.

@blissfulTouch29 wonderfully said 👏

blissfulTouch29 August 24th, 2022

@StarrrGirl20 thank you

August 22nd, 2022

@blissfulTouch29

That is a very realistic approach. I like what you have shared.

blissfulTouch29 August 24th, 2022

@Helpingheart23. You're welcome

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? With grace, compassion, and trying to understand. Accepting feedback would also be helpful!

What would you say to the leader who has informed you? I would thank them for letting me know and for any feedback, and ask whether the role is still open should I decide to grow and come back to it later <3

blissfulForest7074 August 11th, 2022

@WarmLightXO

Your answer was really mature. Loved it

August 22nd, 2022

@WarmLightXO

I like your answer, I think that works too.

Ninziesss July 30th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would react kindly and mention that there are limited roles and that I probably have some improvements to do.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Thank you for taking my application into consideration. Thank you for your feedback. I will take it into account and improve that what I have to improve before re-applying again.

@Ninziesss

A kind and lovely answer :)

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@Ninziesss very nice and well said answer

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role.

Q: How should you respond? A: I would talk to the leader of the role that I applied for, and ask for some feedback and on what things I could improve so I could apply for the role when I improved on those things that the leader gave feedback on.

Q: What would you say to the leader who has informed you? A: I would say thank you for letting me know, and I would ask them how I could improve on the things that I did wrong in for example the exam that I took. I wouldn’t get sad as I understand that I might not be ready for it yet and that’s okay.

- Lena

@kenzolena

I like your approach. It was optimistic and a mature away to deal with the situational problem.

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would thank them for informing me of the results and ask for points for improvement if they had read or gone through my application form.

@blissfulForest7074 bravo 👏👏

August 22nd, 2022

@blissfulForest7074

That's a good approach 👍

@Heather225

If I wasn't given the role i wanted, then there must definitely be a reason behind it. I would inquire the leader for some feedback on how I can better myself and ask for any available places on the team.

August 22nd, 2022

@Heather225

I would first thank them for considering me for the position, and then respond in a friendly and professional manner and ask for feedback to improve.

@Helpingheart23 feedback is a great way to improve and get the role next time, I agree

SirenOfSerenity September 12th, 2022

@Helpingheart23 I like that you mentioned showing gratitude for being considered 😊 And showing interest in improving for that position or better

niceworldmnd August 24th, 2022

@Heather225

I should accept and respect them first. but the thing is i never get disappointed , so easily I go for discussing it with my mentor and find out the problem like which area what i should be doing or vise versa and etc.. after it , i start again and work on myself to get the role next time ;)

@niceworldmnd I agree with you, really thoughtful response, good job 👏

@niceworldmnd

It's very admirable that you keep your composure and utilize having a Mentor to work towards improvements or opportunities that are a better fit 😌

KimByeongIn September 12th, 2022

@niceworldmnd

Such an amazing character. Nice to have you as my peer.

@Heather225

I would respond to it thoughtfully, take my time to calm down a little in order to move forward. I also may switch to my member account if I needed extra support or reach out to a peer supporter to talk about my emotions.

I would ask them for some input on what I can do next time in order to succeed. Also give them time as they might be busy.

@Here4good74

I like that you mentioned connecting into your Member account for support, that support is always there for us 💙

KimByeongIn September 12th, 2022

@Here4good74

Great answer and I'm happy to see that you have a growth mindset too!

Mari228 September 14th, 2022

@Here4good74

Switching to member account when needing the support is a courageous idea and knowing you’ll be understood and being heard in some way definitely helps without being obligated to act a certain way.