Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #4) What is Triangulation? 3 Steps to Avoiding & Stopping & Take the Oath!

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

What is Triangulation?

Let's call you Person A. Now, you have a problem with Person B and really dont know what to do about it. You go to Person C to discuss it. This is triangulation, when a problem between 2 people comes to involved a 3rd person unnecessarily.

The triangulation process can happen in all relationships. Let's say someone is offended by another user. Triangulation can be very tempting, but it ultimately only ends up negatively impacting all involved. Having clear, calm, and honest conversation is challenging and requires you to overcome your fears, but, when done right, it positively impacts all involved.

At times a person doesn't realize that some words or phrases may seem intimidating to another person.We all come from different backgrounds thus it is important for us to support each other.

Why is triangulation unhelpful?

Because it perpetuates the spread of information, which can be hurtful to those involved. It lends itself to rumor spreading and it takes a private situation between two users and exposes it to more people.

What should you do if someone comes to you for support on something which occurred in the community?

1) Never share the names of another user

2) Never share specific details of a chat with another user

3) If someone wants to share with you, please say this:

"I am sorry this happened! Sounds like a challenging situation. As to avoid triangulation, it would be best for you to practice conflict resolution with that person. If conflict resolution is not possible, please let a community manager know by filing a L-L report. Please do not share this situation with other users as to preserve confidentiality.

Special note: You should avoid triangulation with all other users, including mentors, group mods, peer supporters, mentor leaders and ambassadors. Any time a situation cannot be worked out via conflict resolution, please file a L-L report.

Taking responsibility for our actions: Take the Pledge!

As a listener in our community, it is your responsibility to stop triangulation when you see it or are invited to participate in it. Doing this will keep our community healthy and moving in a positive direction. I challenge you all to take the Avoiding Triangulation Pledge:

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: Heather225 8//6//20

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

SofiaT2000 October 29th, 2020

@RebekahRoyal Yay! Thank you for pledging!

Helpingsoul98 September 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: @Helpingsoul98 03/09/20

crystalclearnow September 4th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: crystalclearnow , 4th September 2020.

crystalclearnow September 4th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: crystalclearnow , 4th September 2020.

Petrichor2000 September 7th, 2020

Signed : Petrichor2000 Sept 07,2020

JaimieF September 8th, 2020

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: JaimieF 9/8/20

Beaconx September 8th, 2020

Signed: Beaconx 8/9//20

Irena0225 September 9th, 2020

Signed: Irena0225 9/9/2020

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: CompassionateDreamer8522 9/10/20

freshMint9376 September 12th, 2020

Signed: freshMint9376

hopedreamlove September 12th, 2020

Signed: hopedreamlove 9/12/2020

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

//CognitiveACE//

Signed: 9/14/2020

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: shiningSound31 ; 14 September 2020

InvaderStitch September 15th, 2020

Signed: //InvaderStitch// 9/15/2020

September 18th, 2020

In all my interections on cups on cups, I will work to Matain a healthy Relationships and a Supportive environment to stop the Spread rumors and mis information . I will matain my professionalism by not involving my self in Conversations or situations whitch do not Include include or my presence.

goldenbutterflyof hope

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: BookChunky 18/09/2020

lovelyNight9853 September 18th, 2020

signed: lovelyNight9853

DayDreamWithYou September 18th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: DayDreamWithYou 9/18/2020

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@Heather225

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumours and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: Grace8402 19/09/2020

Liru0417 September 19th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed,
Liru0417 09/19/20

MoonlightHelper1 September 19th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: MoonlightHelper1 19/9//20

pizzaiscool September 20th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: Pizzaiscool 20/9/20

bubblyJulie September 21st, 2020

Signed: bubblyJulie 9/20/2020

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

"In all my interactionas on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive envrionment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Posted by CintaBali

frostyIris5554 September 26th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: frostyIris5554

dancingMoment7201 September 28th, 2020

@Heather225

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumours and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: dancingMoment7201

EvelyneRose September 29th, 2020

Signed: Evelynerose 09/29/20

SofiaT2000 October 29th, 2020

@EvelyneRose Evelyne! Nice to see you here! Thank you for pledging <3

WelcomeToChat September 29th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: WelcomeToChat 8/29//20

Vintagechoc September 29th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed : vintagechoc 09-29-2020

TogetherForeverAlways October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Avoiding Triangulation Pledge

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and  misinformation. I will  maintain  professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: WatchingOverYou, October 1st, 2020

amiablePeace77 October 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and  misinformation. I will  maintain  professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: amiablePeace77

amiablePeace77 October 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: amiablePeace77 Oct. 1, 2020

peacefulWarrior10 October 2nd, 2020

Signed: peacefulWarrior10 03/Oct/2020

NorahListens October 3rd, 2020

In all my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: NorahListens //

October 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and  misinformation. I will  maintain  professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: DonaldDraper Date: 3rd Oct 2020

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: kateaala 03/10//20

Ginevra962 October 6th, 2020

Signed Ginevra962

SophieWX October 7th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: SophieWX 06/10

AffyAvo October 9th, 2020

Signed AffyAvo