Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

1) Gossiping is bad because oftentimes it is spreading false information and is hurting others. 2) “I don’t know enough about the situation” I think that is definitely an important phrase because we don’t know all the details of what happened so we have no right to make those judgements about someone or a situation without knowing all the facts.

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@positiveTurtles

I totally agree with you 💖

peacefulIris56 May 21st, 2021

@positiveTurtles

I agree about the fact that gossip creates false information. It's good to stay on track and stay informed with the correct information.

May 22nd, 2021

@positiveTurtles Rightly pointed out. We should not say anything to hurt anyone, as well as we do not have enough information about someone to say something negative about them, especially behind their back.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@positiveTurtles

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@positiveTurtles

Hello!

Thank you so much for your post. I think that as you said, gossiping can only hurt other people and there is just nothing that comes out of it. I personally have never seen a case in which it has been beneficial, it is just the opposite. Take care! :)

wonderfulRainbow817 July 6th, 2021

@positiveTurtles I also agree with the fact that we don't always know all the information to comment. Sometimes it can just be good to say you don't know all the information even though you might just to stay out of the gossip.

milkoreos July 15th, 2021

@positiveTurtles agreed, wonderfully explained

ComradeRuhi August 6th, 2021

@Enbyowl
I totally agree. Gossipping needs to stop, since no one is every in the right position to do it. We can never fully understand someone else's perspective, so it's unjust to talk about somebody else behind their back, in a negative way. Loved your response. I wish you the best on your 7 cups journey, and I hope you become a fantastic leader! :)

bubblingBreeze14 September 5th, 2021

@Enbyowl

Very true. It can create false information.

LavenderFlower September 25th, 2021

@Enbyowl

For sure! We should be okay with saying we don't have enough information. It's harmful to judge others without knowing the full story. Great answer!

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Gossiping is really bad. There are of lots of reasons to say it bad. Everyone has different personalities and different perspectives. It's not possible to agree with them always. But they're right own their own place. So we shouldn't try to prove them wrong by gossiping. Because it will hurt them. Moreover, by gossiping we make ourselves showing judgemental and creating negative environment by talking about bad qualities of others. It makes people to dislike ourselves.

2. Try to change the topic

Changing topic is a simplest way to avoid gossiping. By changing topic we can distract people to something else if they're going to gossip about someone else in their absence. We can talk about anything like about any specific topic, about their favorite hobbies, about healthy lifestyle or moreover we can start to play game or something like that.

@LovetoGod

I agree. There are better things to focus on other than gossip.

LovetoGod May 21st, 2021

@peacefulIris56

Yup. Glad to see you again. Good luck ❤😃

Thank you. And the same to you!!!

LovetoGod May 22nd, 2021

@peacefulIris56

💖💖

May 22nd, 2021

@LovetoGod Right, creating [and indulging in] a negative environment could be very entertaining, but it is harming others and oneself in the bigger picture.

LovetoGod May 22nd, 2021

@Fristo

Yup ❤

Zarram77 March 24th, 2022

👍❤️ @Fristo

May 30th, 2021

Hi @LovetoGod! I love how you put emphasis on changing the conversation topic as a way to stop gossiping because it’s so simple yet effective. It’s a technique many moderators including myself use in group chat rooms when we see gossip occurring.

LovetoGod June 10th, 2021

@richuyulin

Yeah that's easiest way and wonderful to know that you try to use it ❤

helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021

@LovetoGod Great answer ! I totally agree with you

LovetoGod June 10th, 2021

@helpfuldipper

Yeh ❤

July 7th, 2021

@LovetoGod
Totally true! Gossiping does impact the way people look at us!

LovetoGod July 7th, 2021

@Hope2103
Yup 😊

ComradeRuhi August 6th, 2021

@LovetoGod
Your response is so detailed, I loved all the points you brought up. I also think trying to change the topic is a much better action in combatting gossipping. I totally agree with what you said! I hope 7 cups makes you into an amazing leader. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!

LovetoGod August 7th, 2021

@iigotyourbackii
Thank you so much for your appreciation. I got into leadership role. I wish you the same. Hope you will enjoy the program. Good luck ❤

bubblingBreeze14 September 5th, 2021

@LovetoGod

Exactly. People have different perspectives. Whatever it is others should not critisize or gossip about someone without knowing that person's perspective. (By knowing the other person's perspective one might understand the reasons behind their actions and avoid gossiping)

LovetoGod September 5th, 2021

@bubblingBreeze14
Yeah true ❤😊

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3.  Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Gossiping is bad because it is not positively constructive. The best way not to gossip is simply not to participate in it or entertain it.

May 22nd, 2021

Why is gossiping bad?

It creates a bad impression of you on others when you gossip/say-something-negative behind someone's back. Even though others enjoy your gossip, underneath they are getting the signal they cannot trust you.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

"I do not know enough about the situation, or about the person's perspective, to be able to say anything negative about them." Or I can say something positive about the person "My experience with this person has been rather good." Or I can look to change the topic to health, travelling, something new I tried etc.

Ethan May 30th, 2021

@Fristo I love your explanation, and absolutely agree - Hearing somebody gossip can be fun, but it 100% makes you doubt whether or not you can trust them. What if they gossip about you to other people?

FlourishingDimensions June 22nd, 2021

@Fristo That is such an important point, that it is giving the signal that others can't trust you if you gossip. Well said!

IcicleSnown May 25th, 2021

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Because it hurts people’s feelings and creates a bad image of yourself.

I learned that more people than I thought see gossiping as bad. I also just realized it is probably also seen as unprofessional.

Ethan May 30th, 2021

Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is bad because it makes people unlikeable. When somebody gossips, the person they are gossiping to links the negative gossip with the gossiper, making them less likeable. By not gossiping, people shine, they foster trust, and are seen as non-judgmental.

“I don’t know the other persons’ perspective so I would prefer not to discuss in their absence”. This is a great statement because it emphasizes how every person has a different perspective of every situation, further showing the importance of not gossiping as you may comment on a situation that, really, you have no knowledge on.

May 30th, 2021

Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is bad because the usual intent of gossip is to make someone who isn’t present look bad and to make yourself look good for sharing this information. It breaks the trust between you and others as they would wonder what you would say about them when they’re not around.

• I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it.
  • I don’t know the other person’s perspective so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.
helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021
1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because for temporary gratification, you tend to spoil a long term relationship with someone. It's demeaning to the person who is being made out to be bad and without giving a chance for them to explain something. I really liked how we can easily steer the conversation in other directions instead to give in to gossiping.

"I don’t know the other person’s perspective, So I prefer to not discuss what I think, they were thinking or feeling in their absence."

I usually try to do it. I will try better from here on out.
BecauseImBatman22 June 25th, 2021

@helpfuldipper
I loved reading why you think gossiping is bad, great insights Dipper, thank you for that :)

milkoreos July 15th, 2021

@helpfuldipper you got this.

Brinaa101 June 22nd, 2021

Why is gossiping bad?
It is bad because it harms other people when it's not true and makes other people not trust you because of your horrible actions.

If you don't know enough about the situation to comment, don't say anything! It's also helpful to instead add some positive commentary instead of bringing other people down.