Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #2) Service Leadership at 7 Cups

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Being a leader at 7 Cups takes many forms. One thing every listener has in common is that we are all agents of service. Whether we are taking member chats or we are welcoming a new listener to the community, every unique contribution made by listeners is equally wonderful and valuable.

There are many ways to spend our  volunteer time at 7 Cups. Some of you will choose to focus on member chats and others will choose to be involved with our community programs, or both!  No matter which path, all contributions are considered incredibly valuable and special.

The term  Service leadership  (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in  which the main goal of the leader is to serve)  can be explained in this way:  "Traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the top of the pyramid. By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible."

Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

Leadership - Becoming a Teen Star, Mentor, Mentor Leader or Ambassador.

Weve long said⦠that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually youll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

One misconception I have heard floating around is that once youre in one of these roles you need to do more, be more, show more, etc. The reality could not be any further from the truth. These roles signify contributions that are currently being made & are not about contributions we hope these individuals will make in the future.

Another way to think about this is - Â if youre accepted to be a mentor leader or ambassador, we will not be giving you more work. Our aim is to honor the work you have been previously/currently doing. In fact, wed love for you to add more self-care to your regular routine. These titles are reserved for successful project leaders & community members who are already involved in community engagement projects and actively making a positive impact. In some cases, we may give you more tools to do your specific projects more effectively.

In this sense, service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective  community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Dont take on more than you are able. If you dont have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters! Â

If youd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If youre not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

-

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@QuietMagic

heart Admirable! We can t thank you enough. heart

Zahraa000 February 12th, 2022

I agree with you🥀

QuietMagic August 17th, 2020

@RedGlowingButterflee Hi--I agree with what you're saying. Just restating your points in my own words:

The word "serve" feels pretty problematic/uncomfortable. It feels really cold to imagine listeners as "servants" obeying their masters or waiters "serving" customers in fearful obedience to a domineering employer. From the point of view of the listener, it feels like it undercuts their freedom and dignity. From the point of view of the member on the receiving end, they're not looking for a servant so much as just a caring/helpful human being. Listeners shouldn't "serve" so much as just freely offer support out of the goodness of their heart. Both listeners and members benefit when they're able to relate to one another as equals.

If the word "serving" feels gross because it has other connotations/meanings, then you can replace it with something else. That's just the word that was used by the person who came up with the general leadership concept.

Once you get past the wording, the basic idea is just that people who are in leadership positions should think of their role as helping others... as opposed to it being some kind of self-centered ego/power trip where it's like, "Haha, I'm the leader! Now, all of my puny minions, cower in fear and bow before my awesome presence. Give me the riches and adoration that are due to me." Winking

So yeah, I feel like we're all on the same wavelength.

Re: getting banned, if that does happen it won't be because of the ideas/feelings you're expressing so much as the way in which you're expressing them. It's totally okay to be upset or disagree with something (and like I've said I feel your points are valid), but calling another site user a Nazi or a cold [...] is an inflammatory/personal attack that doesn't really follow the spirit of rule #2 in the forum guidelines.

2. Unsupportive content including targeting or attacking other users in the community is not allowed. Disagreements may happen, but always maintain a respectful tone and try to move the conversation forward in an on-topic and constructive way. Sometimes this means agreeing to disagree.
https://www.7cups.com/about/communityGuidelines.php#forum

DeathRaceCarFrankenstein August 17th, 2020

@QuietMagic

You have "translated" my words and my message much better...

What you put in italics is exactly what I meant and better written...

I thank you for your help...

@QuietMagic

It is tge essence of what I meant...

@QuietMagic

Myself I have the strength to pass over the wording but I am pisssed off with tge domineering and old phrasing.

I can pass over words bevause never in my life I allowed myself to be manipulated but I do npt want to see a heard of people manipulyed to manipulate other people again...

I appologise for my vehememence...and again I thank you for rephrasing...

I wish you well...

@QuietMagic

If you want to humble me, I am an actor, a mind bender myself and say:

"I am truly sorry for my out of place words"

I may be genuine or not but in this case I am truly sorry...

You do not squash a bug for not knowing any better...

You have my appologies...my remorses remain with me for the rest of my life to live with...

positivePumpkin22 August 17th, 2020

@Heather225

What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

I think its amazing and is the best kind of leadership. I love the idea of sharing power, putting the needs of others first and helping people develop and perform as highly as possible. It would create more space and oppurtunites of right people and talents to come up and would serve as an inspiration to people.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

There are many, many areas in 7cups where you see service leadership. But one area that i would like to focus right now are listeners who are involved in the quality domain- the mentors, the listener coaches. They became wonderful listeners in 7cups and is helping others become a good listener too by sharing their knowledge, resources, tips and suggestions, its great.

By reaching out and give back to the community. I reach out to new listeners or members in need whenever i find them, and help them as much i can. I might not be able to solve their problem (finding certain forum links, trainings, guides or sub community posts) sometimes but what matters to me is that i tried my best. I can also take up roles or participate in the activities.

PeaceLoveandPaws August 25th, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

I agree 100% that the quality domain is a great example of service leadership.

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@positivePumpkin22

I can't agree more to this. Excellent answer!

bookworm274 August 18th, 2020

@Heather225

1- I think the idea of service leadership is very important because it makes sure that the entire community benefits and not just one person. It ensures that peoples needs are met and that we work to help each other.

2- One example I've seen on 7 Cups would be the mentors or listener coaches who donate some of their time to new listeners or listeners who need some support in order to become a better listener. This helps the listener feel more confident in themselves and supported and also helps the community by creating better quality listeners.

3- I can become a better 'servant' to the community by taking more 1-1 chats which is something that I am trying to do, however I focus more on my forum supporter role and participating in member group chats as this seems to be my strength and I feel more confident in these roles.

QuietMagic August 20th, 2020

@bookworm274 I can appreciate focusing on an area of strength. Yay for everything you're already doing! Slightly smiling

smilingsnapples August 20th, 2020

@bookworm274 I agree with your first point! I would like to add on and say that service leadership is an important component of teamwork here at 7 Cups <3.

pamharley003 August 18th, 2020

@Heather225

The ideal service in leadership is to be there as the leader of my team. To answer any questions that a Member has, Help those who are needing to move forward in the team. A leader treats all on the team as an equal part becaused We each need one another to make our team grow.

One example would be how a Leader from a team I am on will write me to make sure I am doin g good, answer any questions and point out something I may have done wrong.

To collaberate with my team and see what ideas We have to make the community grow.

I will mentor any on my team who may need some help.

Listeningsarinn August 28th, 2020

@pamharley003

very much right when saying "We each need one another to make our team grow"heart

AstronomySkies August 19th, 2020

Being a servant leader is a big part of who I am outside of 7cups. So, I think its a really amazing thing to be able to integrate here. I've worked in public service a lot these past few years, whether its working at a grocery, a food establishment, or learning how to be an EMT. One thing we always talk about is how we can be a leader for others in the community.

One big example that sticks out to me is the volunteer and helping out aspects of leadership and service. These two play hand in hand with the other. Someone I've seen grow in their listener journey alongside me, he was never interested in gaining the roles or getting the title, so he never tried for badges. And still to this day, has no badges like that. He's still very much a leader in the rooms whether to other listeners or to members. Not that having badges or anything is a bad thing. But his self-less ness and just want to help spoke to me, identified him as a leader.

I want to better serve others and learn how I can best do that. Through feedback and working with others in the areas I focus in. Whether this is through mentorship, forums, or really any aspect of the site. I want to keep working to try my best. And hear from everyone else what I can keep doing better, for them and for me.

QuietMagic August 20th, 2020

@AstronomySkies That's really cool that you have such a broad range of experiences to draw from.

That listener you're describing sounds amazing. It reminds me of a couple people I know in real life who are similar--just quietly doing good things, but comfortable not having people really know about it... almost as if the attention or accolades would be a distraction or side-quest that would get in the way of them doing what they want to do, which is help people. Slightly smiling

August 25th, 2020

@AstronomySkies

I loved your anecdote about your fellow listener. One of my role models when I first started out as a listener was a lot like the listener you described: focused not on roles/badges, but on supporting everyone that they meet. They may not be active on the site anymore, but I still look up to them as an example of what leadership looks like!

cocoakrispies121 August 19th, 2020

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I think that service leadership is super important to 7 Cups! It is something that only works if everybody is on board, which makes teamwork and making relationships with other leaders is super important. One example of service leadership is a leader putting time into general requests! They are serving others, while being a leader of the community.

I could be a better "servant" by picking up some more general requests, and putting more time into member chatrooms :)

PeaceLoveandPaws August 25th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

I think teamwork and building relationships is very important, too.

dancingMoment7201 September 28th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

'They are serving others while being a leader of the community'. Nicely put, I couldn't say it better. Putting time on 7 cups is a good way to commitment.

Jili February 28th, 2021

@cocoakrispies121

I agree that taking more 1 on 1 chats can be an example of service leadership

IcicleSnown May 21st, 2021

@cocoakrispies121

A beautiful and honest reply

River August 20th, 2020

@Heather225

I loved this one!

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is a great idea. Leading to serve the community better is such a good concept and view it. One could be forum & subcommunity leaders working together to make the subcommunity supportive place for everyone replying to posts, engaging in discussions, making posts.

This course is one of the ways to improve myself and continuing to be consistent & learning from everyone getting the feedbacks.

August 25th, 2020

@River

Riverrrrr! I love how you mentioned feedback here. As leaders, it is important to gain an understanding of how our efforts are benefitting the community, and also actively listen to concerns that are brought up, so we can better address any problems that arise as a part of how we are serving the community.

Rebekah September 3rd, 2020

@River, I think forums and sub-coms are an asset to our community, they're very helpful and can bring us all together!

IcicleSnown May 21st, 2021

@River

Loved the how you can become a better leader response. So true

crystalclearnow August 20th, 2020

@Heather225

1.What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

I really think service leadership is the best way to have a positive ripple effect in the community. Empowering and helping others to help themselves so that they can do the same as leaders.

2.Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

The best example of service leadership for me is being a Listener Coach. Improving and coaching the skills of a listener to be better in listening.

3. How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

To be a better "servant': in our community is by learning, growing and empowering members/listeners for an optimistic and a positive outcome with growth.

@crystalclearnow I love your second answer's energy <3.

crystalclearnow August 21st, 2020

@smilingsnapples

smiley Thank you!

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I think the idea of service leadership is something that is often overlooked in reality; this reality makes people who partake in it more admiring to my eyes. An example of service leadership that I have seen on 7 Cups is the steps listeners are willing to take to comfort their fellow listeners and make them feel in place.

One way I can think of becoming a better "servant" to our community is by committing a random act of kindness without the expectation of getting something in return. This can be in the form of many actions--one that comes to mind is taking a chat that another has had trouble with.

blissart August 23rd, 2020

@smilingsnapples

u r rt apples. Its such an encouraging and pleasant feeling to see how listeners support their fellow listeners and newbies.

appreciate all ur support and efforts to build this community heart

I encourage you to do what you do🥀

Asruu August 22nd, 2020

@Heather225

I think the idea of service leadership is absolutely incredible in all the ways.

The fact that a listener would go out of their way in volunteering to take on a leadership role to lead others and provide guidance is something very inspiring.

I think i can become a better servant to the community through providing as much help as i can in different roles that i took up while helping my fellow listeners in their listener journey.

August 25th, 2020

@Asruu well said. It's all about giving back to the community

Asruu August 25th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

Thank you ❤❤

You are wonderful

blissart August 23rd, 2020

service leadership is when a leader works by being Passionate, Engaging and Leading to Serve. The leader is comapsionate to the team, is a mentor to them, , is not selfish and takes decisions keeping the betterment of community in mind over their personal interests

A mentor or a coach is a good example of a service leader at 7cups

Can become a better servant by supporting my fellow listeners and members in all my capacities and with all my experinece and trainings and going that extra step to encourage, support and instill the values of this community to newbies and those in need for any guidance in my curent roles as a quality mentor and a listener coach

August 25th, 2020

@blissart being compassionate is key to be a good service leader. Thinking of others and working does make things more fullfilling

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

To me service leadership is a wonderful idea. I have seen listeners attending to distressed members in the chatroom, after discussions and after sharing circles. To become a better ''servant'' to the community, you need to be a great listener and follow the rules and have no behaviour reports.