Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #1) Welcome to Course 2!

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Congrats! You made it the second course in the LDP! In this course, we focus on the specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, stress management and empowering new leaders.

I know if you are here, you have read our values and culture guide. I would like to start off by further emphasizing one value that's required for a leader to be successful here, and that is balancing High Expectations & High Warmth.

Work environments with high expectations and minimal warmth tend to result in companies that are very driven, rule-oriented and risk-averse. The people do not tend to grow as much personally or professionally. On the other hand, workplaces that are high in warmth, but have minimal expectations, tend to struggle. Everyone is happy and feels loved, but not a lot of effective or focused work gets done.

7 Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. We expect a lot from you. You might feel like we think you are more capable than other people have suggested or maybe even more capable than how you see yourself. That is okay. Every person on the team has outperformed and done better than they expected. This is largely because warmth, patience, and trust help people make much more progress than they have in other environments. We have high expectations, but we will provide plenty of encouragement and guidance to help you get there.

-

Question: What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

kdsyahirah November 15th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 I'll agree with your reply and I'll be here supporting you.

Tyedyedbutterfly65 April 8th, 2021

@kdsyahirahyes Thanks greatly appreciated !!

Tye

giggleSun1695 November 28th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I totally agree!

@giggleSun1695yes Thank you very much,

Tye

Anexmos December 4th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Perfect answer and well written thoughts!

Thank you !

Tye

beautifulSeal9714 January 14th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Great Answer :)

@beautifulSeal9714yesThank you very much..

Tye

SirenSymphony21 January 23rd, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

quite a good answer

@Kindstar45yes Thank you very much !

Tye

Kieran000 March 7th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I totally agree!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 March 8th, 2021

@kieran000 Thanks !! smiley

Readylistener April 8th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 This makes so much sense, and the last line is especially great!

@Readylisteneryes Thank you very much !! Glad you liked what I had to say.

Tye

IcicleSnown May 14th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Very considerate to think about others: "impact the people I am around" But take care of yourself too hehe

Lotta self-care recommended please :))

Tyedyedbutterfly65 May 15th, 2021

@IcicleSnown Thank you and for sure I do lots and lots of self care heart

wonderfulRainbow817 July 2nd, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Thank you for being that team player we need! Everyone matters! You are right - our community is our backbone so it is important to make sure it is secure.

HereToHelp135 November 26th, 2021

I agree

Zahraa000 February 9th, 2022

great 👍🏻

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

So beautifully explained !

Tyedyedbutterfly65 June 21st, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972Thank you very much !! 😊

Immakindlistener22 December 16th, 2022

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

truly very honest and thoughtful answers! I wish you good luck in your endeavors Tye!

WishUponAStar968 February 12th

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Yes, butterfly, I agree that at times we may not always achieve our goals the best way possible or find that perfect solution but we are trying, and every second to reach the our best is what makes us stronger and wiser. 7cups builds, helps assists others, we are here to help and not push others away. 

CheeryMango August 8th, 2020

@Heather225

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of these?

I think there will be a lack of structure and order with the community and the area that I am involved in if there is an imbalance of expecations and warmth.

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact

1.) the community

Having too low of expectation or too little warmth will cause the foundation of 7cups, which is community to struggle because if no one knows what is expected of them or which part of the upbuilding of the community that they contribute to.

2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

I would let my fellow leaders down by not knowing how to contribute my part to the team

shiningDay80 August 13th, 2020

@CheeryMango

As the saying goes "Teamwork makes the dream work". Here at 7 Cups, we all have a similar dream and that's to help others and to build each other up as well. It will be hard to do that if we do not follow expectations and hold ourselves to a higher standard in order to make things flow. Thanks for your input!

PeaceLoveandPaws August 18th, 2020

@CheeryMango

I have enjoyed your positivity working together in section 1 and working with you outside of this course. You bring an energy and spirit that is welcoming and warm.

CheeryMango August 18th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Mangooooooooooooooooooooooheart

September 15th, 2020

Really well said @CheeryMango

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

@CheeryMango

Still a Mango fan - Lovely answers. Have a great day when you find this

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

@CintaBali

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

@CheeryMango

I suppose I should explain myself - I'm a fan of both of you because every single time I read something by either of you it is caring, compassionate and encouraging - you guys never fail to motivate me. It has taken a long time for me to become a fan. It's relatively easy to say something bright now and then but you are both consistent and consistency is a real achievement that evidences great dedication on both your parts. Have a great day.

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 29th, 2020

Thank you so much ? appreciate your kind words. I Do hope we have helped you in any way possible. TYE hugsss

TogetherForeverAlways September 27th, 2020

@CheeryMango

Great answer, loved it, kudos to you for posting it, thank you!

peacefulWarrior10 September 28th, 2020

@CheeryMango

So important to be aware of where our contributions are needed! Agree to your observation!

SofiaT2000 October 28th, 2020

@CheeryMango That's a great answer Mango, I totally agree with you.

giggleSun1695 November 28th, 2020

@CheeryMango

I totaly agree!

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of these?

I think there will be a lack of structure and order with the community

1. How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact the community

if no one knows what is expected of them or which part of the upbuilding of the community that they contribute to, things wont go okay

2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

I would let my leaders down by not knowing how to contribute

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

I totally agree, well thought out

wonderfulRainbow817 July 2nd, 2021

@CheeryMango I agree, it is pertinent that our community knows what role they are. For example, we can't have a listener taking over a moderator's job willy nilly because they aren't necessarily trained enough to be a mod and the last thing our community needs is someone taking over and doing more harm than good.

Cazzy8752 July 5th, 2021

CheeryMango, Love your response. Agree 100%

Zahraa000 February 9th, 2022

I like this🥀