Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #10) Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this insightful doc written for us by @Hope.

Questions:
Please list some advantages of a diverse team.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

September 17th, 2020

@shiningSound31

I think the last point that you made is important: we will not always agree with everyone that we come across, and it is important to learn how to work around our differences. Diversity forces us to face new ideas and beliefs and can challenge our pre-existing ones, which can enable us to be more open, understanding, and empathetic.

shiningSound31 September 19th, 2020

@IvyL

I agree, IvyL heart

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@shiningSound31

Your explanation for making a more respectful community is extremely good and makes sense. Good job!

shiningSound31 September 19th, 2020

@BookChunky

Thank you, Chunky for liking my response. Your kind and a warm reply to my response is really an encouragement to me. Thank you, Chunky heartheartheart

September 17th, 2020

Diversity can bring about different perspectives and backgrounds and beliefs, which brings more ideas to the table and more approaches to solutions. Diversity also increases our acceptance of each other: knowing that others are different, and being able to celebrate our difference, makes us a stronger team altogether.

To be respectful of different cultures, I think it is first important to acknowledge that 7 Cups has a platform that stretches around the globe, so you will find people from all sorts of backgrounds here. It is important to approach everyone you meet with an open mind, and an understanding that there will be differences, whether it be in practices or beliefs, but ultimately, we are all share at least one thing together: membership in this caring community.

@IvyL

This is really good explanation and clear response. :)

River October 1st, 2020

@IvyL

Loved your answer! I loved how you put that we all share membership in this caring community.

norahdavex September 17th, 2020

I would like advice about something related to this. I work at a call center as a customer support agent for a tax software and with English being my second language, many American customers are very rude to me. I take it personally and end up wanting to cry after a lot of calls. Can you help me navigate this difficulty?

MoonlightHelper1 September 20th, 2020

@norahdavex

Hello norah. I am really sorry to hear you had such an awful experience. I think working with people is often difficult because not all people are open-minded and emphatetic. My advise would be to kindly state that you are doing your best and that you really wish to give the assistance they need. I am not sure whether they are being rude to you because of English or just the fact that it is a call centre as I heard way too many similar experience from people working in call centres. I think it would be a good idea to talk to someone here on 7 cups when you feel terribly like that even though I am not sure whether that would be possible at that moment when you are at work. However, it is also good in my opinion just to talk to someone about it at the end of the day. Another thing to keep in mind is that it seems like you are really trying because you are asking how to manage it better but I can understand that it is difficult not to take these comment personally. I think it would be also a good idea to review this presentation that talks about burn-out: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Cn4qDGLC7-8JI_MkUP3GNBKMEsYDwGO7MbA2Fa7ozL4/edit. I hope this answer helps. When you feel sad again and you feel like you need someone to talk to, then remember that you can message me and we can talk about it together! Stay strong!

@Heather225

There are so many advantages of working with a diverse team - We are more understanding, caring, patient, appreciate everyone around us, tolerating of cultures and most importantly we learn how to respect each other more and be more inclusive of members and listeners, and the community as a whole.

Be patient, understanding and inclusive of others and our differences.

@BookChunky

Nice response! I think you highlighted something that is extremely important - to be patient, understanding, and inclusive of others and our differences. Although I think that sometimes it is very difficult to really understand the other culture but it is important to keep trying, ask questions to better understand and always remain kind and respectful.

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@Heather225

- It helps have more perspective on any issue, increases creativity and productivity across different timezones, gains understanding about various cultures

- Understand that we have different backgrounds and lifestyles and hence a difference in opinion is not unnatural. Keep in mind the timezones. Realise that English may not be the other person's first language and so mistakes should be seen as opportunities to help improve and not discourage.

DayDreamWithYou September 20th, 2020

@Grace8402

Ooh, I love how you mentioned about productivity despite the time zones difference because sometimes we can be even more productive when we have different timezones :) Understanding different cultures is definitely also another plus! I agree that keeping an open-mind about people with different backgrounds is extremely important and that mistakes always happen, and to view it as a chance to improve is great!

Grace8402 September 21st, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

Thank you for your reply! And yes, I agree with you. Have a great day. 😄

@Heather225

Please list some advantages of a diverse team. How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Different cultural perspectives generate greater creativity; therefore a culturally diverse team can generate better ideas. Due to diverse backgrounds, the problem-solving process is faster as people have different experiences and views that all contribute and result in better decision making. We can be respectful to different cultures by using culturally sensitive language, by accepting differences, and by developing cultural-awareness.

@MoonlightHelper1

Thank you for this wonderful response :) I agree that different cultural perspectives can really generate creativity, ideas, and as Hope mentioned in the document, innovation. Ooh, I also really loved that you mentioned that problem-solving process is much faster because we all have different experiences. The three main things you listed as to how to be respectful to different cultures is honestly amazing; it was worded very well, and it is also 100% true!

@DayDreamWithYou

Thank you so much for your supportive and kind words! I also loved your answer and you included so many things that I did not even think of which is amazing! I especially like that we should not let stereotypes and our own biases affect our work and our relationships. I totally agree with it and I think it is one of the most important things.

@Heather225

- different perspectives, bigger set of skill sets

- learn about different cultures

- appeal to the more diverse website; better at reaching out to different cultures

- understand and respect the ideas and perspective of people from different cultures

- understand and respect when people are available (time zones)

- understand and respect that some people may be more sensitive to certain topics

- do not let stereotypes and our own biases affect our work and our relationships (sometimes it really helps to write our own biases and really take some time to reflect on them); avoid generalizations

- be open-minded, don't assume, and just in general, respect and empathize :)

AffyAvo October 15th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou I like the idea of reflecting on our biases to avoid them from affecting what we do here.

BeautifulMasterpiece October 16th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

Understanding and respect really do go hand in hand, and it's important that we always remember that!

Asher October 26th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

What topics do you think we should be careful of other cultures?

lovelyNight9853 September 21st, 2020

There are many advantages of working with a diverse team. One is that you will be exposed to the way others think which can help you become more open-minded. Another is that there are more ideas to be shared and diversity allows groups of individuals to refrain from using tunnel vision.

We can be respectful by being inclusive to everyone and being warm and welcoming to people to everyone.

InvaderStitch September 24th, 2020

Different perspectives allow for more innovative and creative ideas to be expressed and put into place.

Allows 7cups to help and reach more people around the world in a way that is supportive.

Drives connectivity between parts of the world that are normally very disconnected.

I think one of the big things to being respectful of different cultures comes to being mindful we are all different, but we all are human. We live in different parts of the world and we all have different experiences and different realities, but we are all human, with human brains and the human brain, no matter what part of the world operates in very much the same way. We are more similar to one another then we are all different.

pizzaiscool September 25th, 2020

@Heather225

Having a diverse team increases reachability and skill sets.

People of different time zones are able to be online at their timezones. This allows for almost 24/7 reachability for members

English must not be the first language for everyone and thus having a diverse team allows for translators. This increases accessibility.

7cups already does a great job at allowing us to report racist individuals. Furthermore, we can respect others cultures and languages and allow them to feel included in all discussions no matter how 'different' the individual is

CintaBali September 26th, 2020

The different perspectives can drive innovation

Allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture.

Covers different time zones and allows us to support people living in different timezones

You get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to your set of skills.

A wider range of skill sets available for the team which can fuel creativity and productivity.

Rise above the stereotypes

Be respectful of cultural beliefs

Be mindful of schedules and availability

Consider time zones

Avoid bringing up any criticisms about the politics/economy of that persons country one person can rarely do anything personally to change what is going on in a whole country

Real diversity training also involves finding out what is considered disrespectful or inappropriate in another culture and then not doing that when speaking to someone from that culture.

For example, when I speak Indonesian, I do not use the words I or You unless its absolutely necessary to the meaning of what I am trying to say, because in that culture it is inappropriate. When I speak French I use the word vous (you) for an adult stranger as a gesture of respect, and I use tu only for someone who is very close, after asking permission, because in that culture, tu is the word for you that is used to indicate disrespect - e.g.when you are swearing at or abusing someone.

bubblyJulie September 27th, 2020

1.) Advantages of a diverse team:

- different perspectives drive innovation

- learn about different cultures and practices

- fuel creativity and productivity

2.) As 7 Cups is a diverse community, we have to value inclusiveness. Every cultural background is beautiful, and us as a community needs to appreciate and respect every single individual member of 7 Cups.

Rebekah September 28th, 2020

Having diversity in a team is amazing and 100% needed. It offers a range of skills to a mix of different people (and not to mention it helps us to cover time zones!) Having different cultures and accepting those different aspects of different people is what 7 Cups is all about; diversity and equality. We can ensure respect by maintaining boundaries (and trying our best to understand different circumstances).

River October 1st, 2020

@RebekahRebel

I loved your answer! I definitely agree that it offers different range of skill sets too and maintaining boundaries is so crucial!

EvelyneRose September 29th, 2020

1) having a diverse team brings together a melting pot of beliefs and values that creates a multicultural and rich society.

2) Remembering that we are a global team and therefore must treat everyone with respect.

River October 1st, 2020

@EvelyneRose

I agree with treating everyone with respect!

AffyAvo October 15th, 2020

@EvelyneRose Oh, your answer brings up a good culture difference. When I was in school we learned that here it's like a cultural mosiac, whereas in the US it's more like a melting pot. The mosiac way of doing things was taught as 'better' even if not really directly. It's hard to lose the negative connotation of the melting pot (my learned bias), basically it was lack of diversity, everyone takes on the same quallities although everyone's 'flavours' or qualities get distributed in that. A salad bowl metaphor got added to the curriculum after me, I first heard about it from those younger than me.

I think it's also a great example of stereotypes. Canada really doesn't meet the mosiac model (or salad bowl) in many aspects. If doing a similar map distribution to what @QuietMagic shared I think Canada overall might lean a bit more towards the mosiac than the US, but there are differences in the various regions in both countries and there's overlap. Of course, there are also advantages and disadvantages to both.

I guess that's where too the salad model may come in? There's the individual items but then there's the dressing that is similar to a melting pot where flavours from all the incredients infusion in too. Balance between assimilating to some of the norms while also maintaining cultural diversity.

Vintagechoc September 29th, 2020

@Heather225

- Innovation from the differents perspectives

- Learning about differents cultures

- Reaching and helping people outside of our country or culture

First, we have to accept that people can have different beliefs or think differently. When a disagreement occur in such situation, we can try to find a mutual agreement or delegate the task to someone else.

October 3rd, 2020

Hi @Vintagechoc, I am from India

Vintagechoc October 3rd, 2020

@DonaldDraper

Hi! Nice to meet you smiley

October 4th, 2020

@Vintagechoc Nice to meet you too. See you around, in LCR maybe :)

dancingMoment7201 September 30th, 2020

@Heather225

Diversity is an important role in any industry or team. Not only give a variety of different point of views from different people based on background, culture, language, etc but also expand the community. A diverse team are more productive and perform better because it's a pool of talents, different speciality.

Learn more about other culture, respect others and talk to people from different places. If you're unsure about inappropriate behaviour toward people with a different culture, ask them. Try not to mock or belittle others when they make a mistake

Listeningsarinn October 2nd, 2020

@dancingMoment7201

i absolutly agree to your points! first of all to ask not to suppose and also to be mindful of the fact that mistakes are a side effect of being human and to be made fun of it!

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@dancingMoment7201 i love how you explained why diversity is important. :)

River October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Woop, I absolutely love this doc! Thanks @Hope <3

A diverse team means more chance to learn about different culture, more variety of ideas to help the team and different experiences that can help us be even more inclusive and plan things right!

We can do so by being inclusive of everyone and being willing to learn more about it. I also loved how docs mentioned timezones so yes, making sure we time things so that everyone can get the chance to join and mostly by being open-minded about variety of ideas, opinions and trying to understand each other.

TogetherForeverAlways October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Questions

A diverse team is more innovative, responds better to change, is a better crisis-solver, etc.

By being aware of their existence, acknowledging their differences and embracing them as part of our diversity, which is something that truly makes this place work, and an amazing asset.