Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #10) Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this insightful doc written for us by @Hope.

Questions:
Please list some advantages of a diverse team.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 14th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

Great answer!

InvaderStitch September 24th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

I definitely think the points about rising above stereotypes and not pushing beliefs on others is important.

blindHeart12 April 18th, 2021

@InvaderStitch

I too relate with your post of " Idefinitely think the points about rising above stereotypes and not pushing beliefs on others is important

amiablePeace77 October 4th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

Love that you brought up the point about "positive stereotypes". All sterotyping is unhelpful and can be damaging in some way.

She13 December 16th, 2020

@hopedreamlove yes Thumbs up

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

@hopedreamlove

Good one :)

Jili February 28th, 2021

@hopedreamlove

good thoughts!

Zahraa000 February 22nd, 2022

Well done 👍🏻

shiningDay80 September 13th, 2020

@Heather225

What it means to work with a diverse team 🤔. Well for starters, we all know that we all come from various parts of the world on this platform. I feel as though we can teach each other some things: Patience and comradery. Reading over the part about English being a second language to some members and listeners, patience is going to come in handy. It is easy to forget that some people cannot speak good English and it can be reflected in their typing skills. Exhibiting patience and helping them where they struggle to be able to both communicate effectively is important. Working with a diverse team is beneficial because we can learn from one another and show each other support on a constant basis. We are not alone and we all care about each others well-being; thats why we are on this platform! laugh

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@shiningDay80

This is a great answer. Good job :)

September 17th, 2020

@shiningDay80

I agree, it is really easy to forget that English may not be the first language to some users on the platform! So it is all the more important to be mindful of our teammates and to have patience.

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@shiningDay80

I love your answer!

WelcomeToChat October 1st, 2020

@shiningDay80

Patience, Patience, Patience. I love it !

I am an ESL person, so thank you for focusing on that !

October 3rd, 2020

Hi, @shiningDay80. I am from India

amiablePeace77 October 4th, 2020

@shiningDay80

I do like how you see it, great answer!

KindnessMatters2020 October 9th, 2020

@shiningDay80

Love "exhibiting patience" as part of your response. Seems such a small thing, but has such a big impact! Well done!

SofiaT2000 November 1st, 2020

@shiningDay80 Remarkable answer! You justified your point perfectly!

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@shiningDay80

well said :)

ouiCherie January 5th, 2021

@shiningDay80

Super! Great points there about patience ♡

⭐︎ ( ‿ ✿)

Fergie12299 February 5th, 2021

@shiningDay80

Excellent points made shining, wish you the best of luck on the rest of the course

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@shiningDay80

I really appreciate how you highlight the fact that this platform is acessable to people all over the world, and that the different cultures involved need different things and may communicate in different ways. I agree that this is one thing that makes this place great.

Best of luck on your LDP Journey!

kindFish9215 October 7th, 2021

@shiningDay80

I love reading this answer! This is perfect!

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear." --Mark Twain

NoelleListens February 27th, 2022

@shiningDay80

Your response is very insightful!!

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

🌸 Diversity is beautiful! We get to learn so much about people from different background, we learn to respect and be patient,understanding , brings a whole lot of life and creativity to the table

🌸 By being inclusive of everyone, not judging someone on the basis of their differences (because that's what making them unique), respecting the differences, learning more about their culture, being understanding about the different timezones.

September 17th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

I couldn't agree more, diversity is beautiful! We should celebrate our differences, not shove them away

Great answer!

October 3rd, 2020

Hi @ahealingEndoftherainbow22. I am from India

KindnessMatters2020 October 9th, 2020

I really love how you mentioned diversity brings creativity to the table! That is such a great point :)

SofiaT2000 November 1st, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22 This was a great answer! You seem to be very understanding!

Dinohorus November 14th, 2020

Wonderful post. Thank you!

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

I agree that diversity is beautiful and that it is a wonderful thing that we have such diversity here at 7Cups. I think it is wonderful that so many types, shapes, languages and cultures are here and I learnt from your share.

Best of luck on your LDP Journey!

TheRusticMystic74 April 1st, 2022

absolutely!!

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

1) Different perspectives can drive innovation.

2) It allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture.

3) It covers different time zones and allows us to support people living in different time-zones.

4) We get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to our set of skills.

5) A wider range of skill sets available for the team which can fuel creativity and productivity.

We can be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups by rising above stereotypes, being respectful of individual beliefs and values, and be mindful of schedules & time-zones. Lastly, we need to be respectful and mindful of people who learned or who are learning English as a second language.

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

Great answers, Acesmileyyesheart

@CognitiveACE

Great answer!! 👏

Asher October 26th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

In what ways do you think creative might play in diverity?

Asher October 26th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

I really liked your point about gaining skills from other cultures. That's a great point.

TheRusticMystic74 April 1st, 2022

@CognitiveACE

i agree with you

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@Heather225

A diverse team is likely to be more creative, productive and innovative.

We should rise above stereotypes and shouldn't judge people belonging to a different culture based on the prevalent stereotypes about their culture.
We should try to learn about a different culture. It makes us feel good if someone from a different culture knows about our culture and is respectful to it. Others too feel good if we take interest in learning about their culture and are respectful to their culture.
It is nice to wish people belonging to a different culture on their festival.
We should be respectful of individual beliefs. Someone's opinion may contradict our opinion. In such cases, we should be respectful to them and work together for common ground. We shouldn't force upon a task to someone who is not comfortable doing so.