Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 2: Lead by example

Hope December 5th, 2022

Great Leadership, unsurprisingly, starts with yourself!

Practice what you preach. Lead by example. I am sure all of you heard these phrases. But why are they so iconic?

Because the journey starts with the first step and you are the person who is taking the initiative to lead -- Start a journey! So, you are the one who needs to take the first step before expecting others to do it.

To start with leading yourself, close your eyes and visualize two people: someone who inspired and encouraged you to be like them, and someone who discouraged you to be not like them.

Then, write down the good qualities of the person who inspired you as well as the qualities of the second person. You do not have to be specific with the details. Just a bulleted list.

Now, compare the list to yourself. Note the good qualities you have, the bad qualities you have, and give yourself a rating on a scale of 1-10. What we just did is identified your strengths and weaknesses and what you need in order to lead yourself. This allows you to create self-awareness.

Self-awareness is key to leading yourself in the right direction. But, leading yourself is not easy. Just being self-aware isn't enough. It's igniting the spark but not enough to catch the fire. To catch the fire, you need to be persistent with your practice, which is regular reflection. Be consistent with monitoring your efforts and holding yourself accountable.

You can't effectively lead others until you know how to lead yourself. That happens through Self-Observant Leadership: when you deeply understand your identity, compare it to your reputation (how others experience you) and then make meaning of the observations, and choose to adapt.

Exercise:

✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

✒️ Respond to one of your peers in this thread

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

December 23rd, 2022

@Hope

From this exercise I learnt that its important to lead myself before I can lead others. Its also important to understand your team, where the weaknesses and advances lie! Motivate the team and push them to succeed. Don't mention others members or competitors as this can dampen the teams productivity.

I will do when a peer arrives :)

TheFantasticPengua January 2nd, 2023

@LlamaLizz I love the leading yourself before others! Great way to put it!

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

@LunaHere

Agreed that motivation is key. So many heavy handed "leadership" strategies are brutal and don't seem to work.

LightsFromDark September 5th, 2023
@kindJewel5362 I agree with you so much, nice answer
LOOPHOLE September 10th, 2023

@kindJewel5362

Agreed

Rivelino3 July 6th, 2023

@LunaHere i agree with you on mentioning other competitors when trying to do a team building exercise, as it can sometimes hamper growth as the focus is on others than oneself , though it can be helpful at times to take inspiration

starryCandy6123 December 14th, 2023

I like the idea, of leading yourself, and becomertable.  Before you lead others

Wonderful!!

NeonDragon September 2nd

That's such an amazing way to put it!

TheFantasticPengua January 2nd, 2023

@Hope

I learned more about my morals and what I like vs dislike in a person. Helps me see who I should surround myself with to help my mental health.

Aight!

January 4th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

Great Answers!

CallumCares421 January 9th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

I agree these are important factors as well :)

purplelady568 January 19th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua what a great habit to use In Your life!

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@TheFantasticPengua Great job

CallumCares421 January 9th, 2023

I learned that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and we work together to build a strong system and whole. This is how 7cups works.

NanditaB January 14th, 2023

@CallumCares421 Thats nice :)

Shannon1996 November 7th, 2023

@CallumCares421 love this

@CallumCares421 

I agree that we all need to work together.

sunnySea4551 January 12th, 2023

@Hope

You can't effectively lead others until you know how to lead yourself.

@sunnySea4551 This is an excellent point. Thank you for sharing!

NanditaB January 14th, 2023

@Hope I learnt more about myself the good qualities and the bad qualities I have.

vivelespatates March 11th, 2023

@NanditaB Can you share some of those qualities?

@Hope i had a hard time picking just one person that inapires me. I tend to take many admirable qualities from many different people!

I learned that it is really difficult for me to rate myself. I also realize that I am my own worst critic, and I often see myself differently irmore negatively than others do.

JasmineFlower222 February 2nd, 2023

@purplelady568 it's good that you were able to learn these types of things. Sometimes we all are our own worst critics. But look at you becoming an amazing leader through this program! I'm so proud of you ❤️

purplelady568 February 2nd, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 that is such a sweet idea. I.love how you turned it into a positive. Thanks for the encouragement!

@purplelady568

Yes it is easier to recognise, your negative points, it is others who see our positive ones

Chloe1644 January 29th, 2023

@Hope

it is important to lead myself before i can lead others.

im kind and caring

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

@Chloe1644 That is soooo true! I bet you would make an amazing leader, if you are not already. To be kind and caring are 2 very beautiful qualities.

Artalistens August 2nd, 2023

@Chloe1644 absolutely that’s one of the first things I thought of as well.

JasmineFlower222 February 2nd, 2023

@Hope I learned that it's important to know yourself and be self aware in how you tackle situations to become a powerful leader. Being consistent is key in continuing a great journey to be a leader.

purplelady568 February 2nd, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 yes, consistency is very important! Agree.

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

I gained more clarity about types of people I respond well/ poorly to and why.
YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

Qualities I think a good leader should possess:

Be a good listener. Yes, good leaders know how to talk to people but they should also be able to be a good listener and hear people.

A good leader should also have integrity and just be trustworthy!

A good leader should also be someone who thinks of others before thinking of themself and would be what I consider a selfless person.

There are, of course, many more qualities but I find these ones to be the most important traits.

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

Through the exercise, I learned that to be effective as a good leader one must possess many great qualities. They do not have to be perfect but their heart should be in the right place. I consider myself to possess some qualities of a good leader but I know that I can always improve. One day, I hope that I can lead by example.

BenittaJ February 14th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

You will lead ❤️

jasishereforallofu February 15th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant Great answer 😊

iPHOENIX February 16th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant I second that, we can always improve and it's okay to fail to do so.

BenittaJ February 14th, 2023

@Hope

What I learnt ?

That i have most of the disliked persons quality. I can't change them. But i can control it . I guess. I want to learn the good qualities from the every person i like.

The person i inspire - 7/10

The person i dislike - -4/10

Myself - 1/10.

I can't change my blood but i can change my diet 😎

jasishereforallofu February 15th, 2023

@Hope ✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

I learned that I should lead myself first before leading others.
daydreammemories March 12th

@jasishereforallofu

: ) 🌟

iPHOENIX February 16th, 2023

I think listening to people as a listener or a leader is very important and it's actually my greatest strength, and I should always stick with that.

And it's okay to show vulnerabilities or emotions, and it doesn't make you a bad leader or person.

Also I need to be more open to people close to me and talk to them irrespective of doubt what they would think and/or how they will take it.