Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 1: Understanding your Leadership Style

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello everyone,

If you are reading this, it means you have come a long way in your leadership training. Kudos to you for all the effort and resilience you have shown! It is amazing how you all are open to learning and adapting to new environments: the environment of leadership!

Before we zoom in and talk more about learning and adapting, lets zoom back out first and talk about how you feel about leadership. Regardless of how you see yourself, there is a leader within you. The one who visualizes how things could have run in a better way if you were in the leading spot. Leading spot here means:

• A desire for change

• Believing you got the abilities to make it happen

• Visualizing success while keeping in mind the bigger picture.

Lets take a look at the leadership styles as proposed by Daniel Goleman

7cm7YPLGjkdZL0_5Ff1A6TbGkM24Ou_r6Ozr9qk9pGacBDWlfjoJ50oAou3MfhjhmygGbWfHAKr0jes5xoz0Qj7DH0-cptA5M9O64NSSGc6foGyD6SuLGgFOsr0ovNLmAOEzrrHewDxK6HBEatv63v2nmuMFSyV3VLRqQWD4zGYbiqIY5v3knB8QlwBnrA

Picture taken from this source.

Your original style could be any of them. So for the purpose of this course, we are going to use a leadership style test to help you identify your core competencies. In brief, we are using the test here to help you identify your leadership approach. So, when you know how you approach an event, you could think and put efforts to bring a change in it. It will allow you to polish your strengths and focus to improve in other different areas as well.

Let's get started!

- Please take the leadership style test linked HERE.

✒️ Which leadership style did you score the highest for?

✒️ Do you agree with this quiz?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! tinyurl.com/Course2Discussion2

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

sameeeeee

RainbowRosie April 9th, 2023

@Hope

✒️ What is your leadership style?

🌹 I am an Affiliative leader. I have leadership style that encourages relationships between people, prompting them to work together.

✒️ Respond to one of your peers who share your leadership style!

🌹 I agree with vivelespatates and CharmingFlower8111 that there were other answers which I felt would be applicable depending on situation.

zaatarHoney April 13th, 2023

@RainbowRosie

I was also given Affiliative leader, too. And I agree, as well, that a couple of them felt circumstantial but picking out your general approaches didn’t require much overthought luckily.

zaatarHoney April 13th, 2023

@Hope

Affiliative leader

You have a leadership style that encourages relationships between people, prompting them to work together. Your approach involves focusing on the importance of working together. You also understand the needs of your team and your partners very well, and you try to satisfy them. Your greatest strength lies in your ability to ease tensions or motivate all your team members during difficult periods. You also have a knack for getting people who are accustomed to working alone to work together instead.

✒️ Respond to one of your peers who share your leadership style!

Gottie! On it. ♡

broadfemmelovelive April 17th, 2023

@zaatarHoney 😊 I received this result as well. I love that we both can bring people together to accomplish a goal!

zaatarHoney April 18th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

I really love how you put that! 🥹 Agreed, ty for choosing my post to share love on.

April 25th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

I see our paths have crossed again. 😃 *high five!* I'm also an affiliative leader.

gsp-banner_1682443069.png

zaatarHoney April 25th, 2023

@richuyulin

You know, that makes total sense!! 😂♥︎ You got definite affiliative leader vibes (and actions).

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@Hope

i'm a visionary leader.

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@spedolivia Hello fellow visionary leader!

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@Hope I am a Visionary leader.

broadfemmelovelive April 17th, 2023

@Hope

I received the result of an affiliative leader. The quiz illuminated that I approach leadership with a focus on working together. According to this quiz, I know the needs of my team/partners very well. Results say that my most significant strength is conflict resolution, but it hasn't always been; I worked hard on that skill. The authors mention that I am a hype person. I also liked how the quiz included pulling those who prefer to work individually into a group project.

Gilbird July 16th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

Great results, I'm also a leader with an affiliative style, and it's so nice to see more of us around.

April 25th, 2023

@Hope

According to the test result, I'm an affiliative leader.

gsp-banner_1682442796.png

Nvlmi May 22nd, 2023

@richuyulin

It's wonderful we are the same leadership styles! I think this style also sees the bigger picture and is a peacemaker of sorts who supports those on the team toward higher goals.

SnowTabby May 25th, 2023

@richuyulin
I have noticed a huge amount of 7cups listeners are affiliative leaders and I feel like this website is a strong magnet for empathetic leaders focused on communication and listening. Peacemakers are important to bring the warmth to this environment. From my experience with you in Academy Hub, you do a good job of it

AnnaSilverberg June 4th, 2023
🐬 @richuyulin 🐬

🔅 Yay! 🔅
😊 Same here! 😊
✨💙✨

jadenrjc7 May 4th, 2023

@Hope

I'm a democratic leader!

Mahad2804 June 23rd, 2023

Hiya @jadenrjc7

Looks like we're leadership buddies! Best of luck with your leadership journey and life in general!

Hope you're having a great day!

GermanZebraCupcake May 11th, 2023

@Hope

I'm an affiliative leader mainly. This totally makes sense to me when I review my own leadership opportunities and how I moved forward.

Smrtbibliophile May 12th, 2023

@Hope

I'm a visionary leader!

I feel this fits me well as I think it's important to motivate and delegate, I believe everyone has strengths and weaknesses and if we work together we can be unstoppable.

MagnificentSunrise May 15th, 2023

Visionary sounds grand! I am glad that you find that it fits. 😊

MagnificentSunrise May 15th, 2023

According to the quiz, I am an affiliative leader. I think there is truth in that. I like input and I want others to collaborate. But I had problems with some of the questions and I think I could give different answers too.

Nvlmi May 22nd, 2023

I have an affliative leader style. This leadership style works to create a cohesive team. It also seems to motivate it's team members and build connections in various ways. It also strives to include team members accustomed to working alone and those that work well with others.

TabbyCat97 June 4th, 2023

@Nvlmi

I love this! You're awesome (: I think thats a really good way to explain it

SnowTabby May 25th, 2023

@Hope
I am an affiliative leader, meaning I focus on encouraging relationships between people. I understand the needs of the team and try to satisfy them rather than go about it my way. I'm good at motivating and easing tensions.

AnnaSilverberg June 4th, 2023
@Hope

What is your leadership style?

My leadership style is an affiliative leader.
Which makes a lot of sense, I am all in for team work.
I am also very positive by nature and encouraging.
Focusing on what we can do instead of what we can't is way more effective.
And when we work as a team, we compliment each other strengths.
We also support each other to find solutions to challenges that may come.
So no one is alone, feeling stuck on a problem.
They instead always have the option of reaching out and feeling supported.
✨💙✨

TabbyCat97 June 4th, 2023

You are an affiliative leader

You have a leadership style that encourages relationships between people, prompting them to work together. Your approach involves focusing on the importance of working together.

Team work makes the dream work 💜😛

RosaHere July 2nd, 2023

@TabbyCat97 That's amazing, Tabs!

JLisjustlistening June 9th, 2023

@Hope

✒️ What is your leadership style? I am a democratic leader - someone who believes in collective intelligence.

MaggieListens00 June 13th, 2023

@Hope

I believe I am a coaching style leader - showing through example to lift others up though I would love to progress to becoming a visionary leader by making this more collaborative and two way!

Mahad2804 June 23rd, 2023

@Hope

The linked test didn't tell me what type of leader I am, so this is just me making an educated guess.

I think I'm a democratic-style leader. I believe that people will be most enthusiastic about their work if they are part of the decision-making process behind it. This makes them feel included, heard, and important. If they feel satisfied with why they're working and what they're working on, they're likely to work much better and more efficiently.

Jenna June 27th, 2023

@Hope

I got a tie between Visionary and Coaching. 24 out of 35.
But my highest is Democratic. 32 out of 35.

I do agree with it, actually.

RosaHere July 1st, 2023

@Hope Affiliative and Visionary. I scored 34/35 for both of them.

I agree with the result of this quiz.

beck1 July 3rd, 2023

I am a Visionary Leader

Provides long-term direction and vision. Moves people toward shared dreams by ensuring that the direction is in the long-term best interests of the group and the organisation.

Rivelino3 July 4th, 2023

I scored highest for being s visionary leader and I think it suits me well, I do try and have a mixed style of leadership as no one style works well all of the time, but for most aspects I would be seen as a visionary

The quiz had got my qualities measured well and I agree with what it portrays about me
CharlieDont37 July 4th, 2023

@Hope

Coaching @ 35

Affiliative @ 33

All the others were in the low 30's

No - I think there should be a melding of the different types of leadership based upon the team members and the desired goals. I like clearcut and explicit areas of responsibility and control those are far easier for me to manage than obscure or muddy goals. I do not think that Leadership qualities can be that easily ascertained as identified in this quiz.

Gilbird July 16th, 2023

@Hope

I am an affiliative, visionary, and democratic leader (matching, high scores). I also scored fairly high in having commanding traits as a leader.

This mixture of results actually aligns very closely with how I've evaluated myself. I myself flourish well when I'm routinely encouraged, feel as if I'm listened to, have a long-term purpose, and when expectations/deadlines are clearly communicated. I treat those in my team in the same way. I focus on encouraging them, assuming the best in them, holding feedback inside until I know the entire situation, and communicating expectations as early as possible. I want them to really *feel* as if they are respected as individuals on the team for as long as they are with the team. Having had my share of toxic workplaces, I tend to recognize these qualities very fast and do not hesitate in also giving feedback to my own leaders. As a leader, I encourage the same but do not hesitate in laying down the rules so that such an atmosphere may be maintained.

DisLifeNot August 1st, 2023

@Hope Thank you for your post!

Which leadership style did you score the highest for?

I'm a democratic leader, who generates ideas and builds commitment among employees through participation and consensus.

Do you agree with this quiz?

Honestly, I don't know. For one point of difference, i am not a coaching leader, who invests in the long-term professional development of employees and helps individuals with their development plans and provides ongoing support and feedback. I would like to be a coaching leader honestly, but I recognize that maybe I am a democratic leader

Artalistens August 2nd, 2023

@Hope

once again, very informative test that helps us see more about ourselves!

1. Visionary was my top scoring leadership skill. This means I am good at providing long-term direction and vision. This means I move people toward shared dreams by ensuring that the direction is in the long-term best interests of the group and the organization.
  2. I do agree with the test results, and that actually makes perfect sense because of all the community agencies I do work for in my area. I am able to help people find themselves through the volunteering that I do. I feel like my experience in psychology also plays a huge part in this and makes it make even more sense.