Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 5: 7 Cups Culture

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

I hope you have been benefitting from this course. This is the last discussion of our course 1.

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

FT6CBiW5mVP47-wPWozenRPs1u_IcJFHK_pus9qrgivlnIIbmyDplc84Ru-cASd7AH40vsu1Vj5avJ6OJFk9NIPuWr9o2TEZWsfSqHEJ-4wH81EjqCRd3htZHlcV5jgm-IsTiS3qCuysg629t1KLqt5NTYLQ4sF2G7Y6WzNoLycU_Cvv1miPljX03b2NPQ

View picture source here

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

❗❗After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.

2. Take the leadership oath here.

3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your 2-week trial (Please check your email for End of Trial date.)

4. Proceed to Course 2!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

@radiantUnicorn3506

I'm starting to notice a trend here! I sincerely relate to your first lesson. I know everybody struggles with failure at some point, but as the oldest sibling and now a parent, I think I grew up expecting to be perfect for those who depend on me. 

@Hope

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1. Failure is expected. - This is something I have always struggled with. I grew up being the best at most things, and as I got older I gave myself unrealistic/impossible expectations. Unfortunately, I have lived in what I like to call "a perpetual state of existential crisis". Seriously, it's bad. 
  2. Caring for People with Fewer Financial Resources - This is important to me because I am usually in this category. It is refreshing to see a company not care about profits first. Honestly, it's hard to believe an organization like that exists. I am choosing to believe 7cups is being truthful about this. 
  3. We Invest in You - I have worked in a couple of different fields and honestly, I feel like this is hardly the case. You're usually just a spot that needs to be filled, which can be replaced if needed. I guess that's true in almost everything, but I think there's value in investing in your current employees/volunteers. 

kabir22 Monday

@LovelyKittyCat

I totally get where you’re coming from for the failure is expectations part. It’s tough when you’re used to being the best and then suddenly find yourself grappling with expectations that feel like they’re from another galaxy. It’s like trying to hit a bullseye while blindfolded! But even if the path is bumpy, you’re not alone in this. It’s okay to stumble and even fall a few times—those moments don’t define you, but they do shape you. :)

LovelyKittyCat 2 days ago

@kabir22 awh thank you 

Arie3 2 days ago

@LovelyKittyCat loved the answer, this was so thoughtful, im glad u took out the time to explain the "why's"

kabir22 Monday
  1. The Power of Trust: Building a strong foundation of trust is vital. For me, trust isn't just a nice-to-have; it's the cornerstone of effective teamwork and collaboration. When trust is established, it transforms group dynamics, making the environment more open and productive. It's like having a reliable partner in a challenging expedition—essential for navigating the journey successfully.

2. Balancing High Standards with Support: Setting ambitious goals while offering ample support resonates deeply with me. It’s crucial because I believe in striving for excellence without losing sight of the well-being of the team. This balance ensures that we’re not only achieving high standards but also maintaining a positive and supportive work environment. It's akin to climbing a mountain with a well-equipped team—both challenging and rewarding.

3. Self-Care and Alignment: Integrating self-care with aligning work to personal strengths is crucial for me. When my work aligns with my passions and strengths, it not only enhances my productivity but also brings a sense of fulfillment and joy. It's like finding the perfect blend of comfort and purpose, making every task feel more meaningful and less of a chore.

Arie3 1 day ago

@kabir22 Those are some really good points, keep working on yourself! youre doing great so far <3