Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 5: 7 Cups Culture

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

I hope you have been benefitting from this course. This is the last discussion of our course 1.

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

FT6CBiW5mVP47-wPWozenRPs1u_IcJFHK_pus9qrgivlnIIbmyDplc84Ru-cASd7AH40vsu1Vj5avJ6OJFk9NIPuWr9o2TEZWsfSqHEJ-4wH81EjqCRd3htZHlcV5jgm-IsTiS3qCuysg629t1KLqt5NTYLQ4sF2G7Y6WzNoLycU_Cvv1miPljX03b2NPQ

View picture source here

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

❗❗After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.

2. Take the leadership oath here.

3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your 2-week trial (Please check your email for End of Trial date.)

4. Proceed to Course 2!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

December 20th, 2022

@Hope

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

The 3 most important things I have learned from the guide are:

1. Expect Failure, this is an important but also can be demoralising. Turn failure into a new opportunity to learn and become better.

2. Try Hard, this part of the guide mentioned the importance of practising, and feeling positive at the end of the day when you reflect back on everything you completed.

3. Collaborate, this along with team work is very important for a community to succeed. Working together and using everyones strengths can boost productivity.

Completed tasks 1-4 :)

iPHOENIX February 15th, 2023

@LunaHere

Understnding and accepting failiures will make us try hard, I think it's really great to know ourselves and look at inside sometimes. and the course does that to me. Hope you had a wonderful time with LDP too :)

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@iPHOENIX I agree these are all good things to learn

starryCandy6123 November 13th, 2023

Never give up keep trying to improve

take every failure and every success and learn from it

if in doubt always seek, advice from someone who knows

Mohamed10102121 July 17th

I learned

1. Knowing myself well and knowing what is right for me

2. Good planning of priorities in my life so that I can be well and be able to support others

3. To appreciate the task that I am doing and know it well before I undertake it to know whether it is suitable for me and whether I can excel at it or not.

TheFantasticPengua December 22nd, 2022
  1. Trust. We trust you, you trust us. I absolutely love this, because it can be extremely rewarding when that cycle is working.
  2. Collaboration. I like being able to work with people on certain issues and it’s nice to have people for support.
  3. Self-efficacy. I do like the reward system and it helps us keep going!
NanditaB January 6th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua Wonderful answers :)

CallumCares421 December 24th, 2022

My work matters: My work- OUR work saves people's lives... it is an honour to do so.

Failure is okay: To be technical- you don't fail until you stop trying, so as long as you keep trying, you haven't failed.

Take care of yourself: You can't fill someone else's cup if yours is empty.

January 5th, 2023

@CallumCares421

Great answers!

purplelady568 January 19th, 2023

@CallumCares421 excellent answers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

@CallumCares421 The first one about our working saving the lives of others is soooo profound and so true. Sometimes we do not think we are making a difference but the truth is, we are... I want you to know that everything you do is important and you matter! Continue to succeed and keep on making an impact in the lives of others.

beyoutofullkalon March 12th, 2023

@CallumCares421

This is so wholesome! Cheers!

sunnySea4551 January 5th, 2023

@Hope

I’ve learned a lot about my personality. I’ve also learned about avoiding burn out and setting up a system.

daydreammemories March 11th

@sunnySea4551

nicely done : )

NanditaB January 6th, 2023

@Hope

The 3 most important things I have learned from the guide are:

1. Take Care of Yourself : I feel this the most improtant

2. Self-Efficacy or Mastery: It is imp to improve ourselves

3. Accountability : It is imp work ethic

January 6th, 2023

@NanditaB

Yes I totally agree with you! Great answers!

@NanditaB I'm glad you are learning more about.yourself.

That is an important part of this leadership process.

@Hope

Top 3 things I learned-

1. "Expect failure". I appreciate that no one is expected to be perfect, that it is understood we all make mistakes and have room for improvement!

2. 7cups likes to "solve problems that matter". I also appreciate that this is primarily a free platform for people who are struggling with mental health issues and difficult life circumstances. I like that 7 cups can be accessed by anyone from virtually anywhere. However, listeners are limited in what we can say/do, especially in a crisis situation. So, as individuals, I am not sure that we can solve big important problems that really matter. However, collectively, I recognize that we are doing a good thing.

3. Collaboration. This is an important concept for any organization. Some of the interactions I've had on 7cups have been extremely superficial or seemed false/ungenuine. Other interactions have been amazing, and sparked deep, meaningful ongoing conversations. It is crucial that we continue to collaborate here, so that no one feels alone, overworked or overwhelemed.

AvyIsKing February 16th, 2023

@purplelady568

and so we meet again my friend <3 these are great things to learn <3 i hope your journey is going well :3

sky2Ocean20 March 6th

@purplelady568

I truly appreciate that you highlighted how important these things are. especially the 2nd one, "solves problems that matter". This platform has come up with such wonderful training and systems and educating us about mental health. 💖 

jasishereforallofu January 23rd, 2023

@Hope

1. Expect Failure

We all make mistakes but we learn by them. They are like lessons in life and we are improving by making them.

2. Take care of yourself:

We need self care and self love. If we don't believe and love ourself, we cannot give love to others.

3. Collaboration:

Wonderful team work on 7cups is just perfect, to be able to solve problems together make this a safe place for everyone.

Mohamed10102121 July 17th

@jasishereforallofu

هذا هو good and great 

JasmineFlower222 January 24th, 2023

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1. My work matters

I help everyone who may chat with me on this website. Just talking with someone can give a person hope and the will to go on. Not only am I helping them I'm helping the people that care about them to. That is a priceless act of kindness.

2. Failure is okay sometimes

No one is perfect. Sometimes you may mess up or say the wrong thing and that's alright. Get back up and try until you finally get it right.

3. Collaboration

Everyone here at cups is a team. We all come together to help people in need no matter who they are.

purplelady568 January 25th, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 these are great points to keep in mind! Nice reflections.

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

@JasmineFlower222

Spoken like a champ!!

Hope4Tomorrow32 May 19th

@JasmineFlower222 Great reply I love your response 

Chloe1644 January 29th, 2023

@Hope

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

trust. it's important because you need to trust people to be able to help them

High Expectations. important because you need expectations so you know what needs doing.

Take Care of Yourself- important cause you cant help others if you don't take care of yourself

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

Caring for People with Fewer Financial Resources

This is a great value because in today's society too many are denied help due to lack of money. This is inhumane and untenable. It's great that we're taking a stand to address this.

Friendliness and Conscientiousness

In our capitalisitc and neoliberalistic society a person's value and how society treats them is often based on how much they can produce. As someone who has known dire straits (and has been fortunate to escape) I find this abhorrent. I very firmly believe that every human being must be treated with respect and are entitled to the best that 7cups listeners can provide.

Solving Problems that Matter

So much time in the world is wasted due to blathering and power plays and cover-ups, while the actual issues are obscured due to nefarious reasons, which helps no one. This needs to stop.
YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

Everything I read in the guide is important but these 3 things I find to be the most important:

1. Take Care of Yourself - Everyone matters and self care is soooo important. By caring for ourselves we are in a better position to care for others. If we care for others too often without a break then we can experience burnout and that would not be good. We are all important and it is ok to take much needed breaks.

2. We Believe in Equality - Just what it says. All life is valuable and I, wholeheartedly, agree with this!

3. Accountability - Being accountable shows that you can be counted on and people can rely on you. We need to all be accountable for our actions and words as they are very powerful. I try to be accountable to my person and others because I know that people depend on me so I try to be my best self.

BenittaJ February 13th, 2023

@Hope

Gas tank - i have a gas tank 7cups has a gas tank ❤️

We beleive in equality ❤️

Take care of yourself ❤️

iPHOENIX February 15th, 2023

I definitely think that, focus, discipline and accountability is most important and I don't know why I kinda really want to keep studying and implement it in my life now more than ever. I think it's something that'll define you and in this way I can achieve my true potential and be best at my strength.

If point out 3 important things,

1. Accountability

2. Try hard

3. Take care of yourself

calmingsun111 March 5th, 2023

@iPHOENIX I agree with your words a lot. :)) Have a great days ahead!

AvyIsKing February 16th, 2023

top 3 things i learned :

trust - We want to trust you and we want you to be able to trust us.

just how big of a thing im apart of <3 - 7 Cups is the largest mental health system in the world. This isn’t an exaggeration. Your work saves lives.

collaboration is key :D - Helping others problem solve will help you to be more successful at 7 Cups.

Mitanshi003 February 17th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319

Those are indeed some great factors to learn about from the guide 🍀

Mitanshi003 February 17th, 2023

@Hope

1. Trust:
Trust is the key. Trust helps us grow together and enables us to rely on each other.
2. High Expectations & High Warmth:
The community has high expectations from us that enables us to contribute to the community efficiently. Also, the community provides us with high warmth in exchange to keep us engaged, making us feel appreciated, and helping us avoid burnout.
Friendliness and Conscientiousness:
As the community deeply values trust and warmth (friendliness), it expects us to fulfill our roles efficiently and thoroughly while offering good-quality performance.

I believe that these 3 factors are equally proportional to each other.
🍀

FrenchMarbles February 20th, 2023

✒️To help make it more accurate, in this post, please highlight the three most important things you learned from our guide and why they are essential to you.

One thing I learned from this guide is that our personality influences our leadership styles. Doing the tests you provided us allows us insight into ourselves and explores what things we could work on to enhance our leadership.

It is also a great reminder to focus on ourselves to reduce the impact of burnout, it happens to everyone but if we're there for one another, we can almost cushion the pain and be there for one another.

I also really liked the idea of working on a system and modifying this to ensure we're getting the best of it rather than goals that get done and forgotten about.

EnigmaticCat24 February 21st, 2023

@FrenchMarbles

You got Great answers !

EnigmaticCat24 February 21st, 2023

@Hope

Trust - trust is the base of any relationship. It's great to know that community trust us and we can trust community. It's really encouraging and appreciated. Giving opportunity to improve the leadership qualities through this program is really good example for community's trust on us.

Friendliness and Conscientiousness

Since this factor improve trust among community and us, it's really important. It's really motivate us to do things as best we can.

Try Hard

Since every role in the community is important and it can make someone's life better it's important to try hard to do our best. And 7 cups have given so many opportunities to improve our skills it's really great factor.

Overall i really appreciate 7 cup's culture!

Trintzu March 3rd, 2023

@Tobedoctor Well said! ❤️

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 8th, 2023

@Tobedoctor

those are some really good points to follow.

good luck with the ldp.