Community /

IDG 7 Cups Community Hub

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
September 11th
...See more Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors. Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion. Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity. Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth. Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now? Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved. Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
September 2nd
...See more Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you! Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty. Instructions: 1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue. 2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems. 3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic. 4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario. 5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships. 6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario. 7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future. 8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments. Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
The Importance of Critical Thinking in Decision-making
by ChillingRain
Last post
Sunday
...See more Critical thinking is a skill that has had a profound impact on how I approach problems and make decisions. In the IDG framework, critical thinking is described as the ability to review the validity of views, evidence, and plans. This means going beyond accepting information at face value and instead asking questions, analyzing the sources, and considering different perspectives.  One of the key moments when I realized the power of critical thinking was during a major life decision—choosing a career path. I felt overwhelmed by opinions from family, friends, and societal expectations. However, by applying critical thinking, I began evaluating the evidence behind the advice I was given. Was it based on current job market trends, or was it rooted in outdated beliefs? I also considered my own interests and long-term vision for my life. This process helped me feel more confident in my decision, knowing it was well-thought-out rather than influenced by external pressures. In today's world, where we are bombarded with information from various sources, critical thinking is essential. It allows us to navigate through misinformation and make informed choices, both in our personal and professional lives. Discussion Prompt: - How do you practice critical thinking when faced with important decisions or overwhelming amounts of information? - Have you ever applied critical thinking to challenge your own beliefs? What was the outcome?
Making sense
by Maslow
Last post
Thursday
...See more Sense-making is interesting because it involves noticing patterns, I am sure many of you have noticed a pattern and then once noticed it is impossible to unsee. So many things that seem random are patterns. What patterns do you notice in your life? Are the patterns good or bad and why?
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
September 2nd
...See more Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you! Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty. Instructions: 1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue. 2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems. 3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic. 4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario. 5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships. 6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario. 7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future. 8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments. Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
My journey of critical thinking
by Renjik8013
Last post
July 31st
...See more Hello, everyone in the IDG community, and it's lovely to read everyone's posts ❤️ I found the course interesting and learned so much from it. Of the five domains discussed in the course, critical thinking is one of the skills that sticks out to me the most. I've heard the word "critical thinking" since my first year of college because it seems to be a central theme of my major. I've never realised that such a skill could also be a big part of our everyday lives since then.  Throughout the course, I've noticed that such skills could help in daily decision-making processes and, most importantly, long-term goal orientation and visioning, which I believe is one of the essential components. As a person who's always self-judging, I believe developing critical thinking can help weigh the pros and cons of options in choosing the best course of action, which is important in various situations.  The tips provided in the course are also extraordinarily valuable, and I aim to practice my critical thinking more.  * Exploring more literature regarding critical thinking, not just those required by my study. * Set long-term and achievable goals * Listen to different people's perspectives - Discussions - * What are some strategies you use to enhance your critical thinking skills in your personal or professional life? * Can you share an instance where critical thinking helped you navigate a complex situation? How did it change the outcome?
Critical thinking as a cognitive skill
by Maslow
Last post
July 31st
...See more People often take things for granted, like basic facts everyone knows but you would be hard-pressed to list what makes it true yeah? Try listing one of those facts. critical thinking is perhaps the most important cognitive skill there is as it is the basis for forming any argument, or position, or is it?
Cognitive Skills
by ScorpiaD
Last post
July 29th
...See more Reflecting on our cognitive skills is not only critical, but also essential for our personal growth and our development. Our ability to think critically, solve problems, and learn effectively shapes our daily experiences and long-term achievements. Now, consider a recent problem or challenge you faced. How did you approach it? Did you use any specific problem-solving strategies or techniques? Did you solve the problem or challenge? Reflect on the outcome. What worked well? What could you improve next time? Now, think about your learning habits. How do you typically absorb, or receive, new information or acquire new skills? Are there any areas where you feel particularly strong about? Or are there areas that you'd like to strengthen? Continuous learning is the main key to enhancing cognitive skills. Have you recently taken up a new hobby or pursued further education? How has this impacted your thinking process and everyday decision-making? By regularly reflecting on these questions, we can refine, or improve, our cognitive abilities, become more adaptable thinkers, and achieve greater success in various aspects of our lives. What methods do you use to keep your mind sharp and adaptable? How do you integrate new learning into your daily routines to maximize its impact on your cognitive skills?
The skill of critical thinking
by Maslow
Last post
July 21st
...See more Critical thinking is an essential skill required to be able to engage in thinking that is both reflective and independent. Without critical thinking, all people would be subject to believing everything they hear, without bothering or being able to see a need to assess and validate information. Critical thinking requires a lot from other people such as being able to check one's own biases, this self-regulation makes it possible to independently analyse information that may be viewed unfairly by oneself in an objective manner, and then with an open mind honestly digest the results of that investigation bet they favourable or unfavourable. What is a way that you have taken information at face value without investigating? Do you now wish knowing what you know that you have done things differently? What is a time that you did utilise critical thinking in your life? How did that impact the outcome of the situation? Compared to the time you did not use critical thinking. What conclusions are you able to draw from this? Critical thinking is one of if not the most important cognitive skills available. What are ways that you can train as well regulate your critical thinking? Looking forward to your responses!
Make sense not dollars
by Maslow
Last post
July 20th
...See more Sense Making is an extremely important cognitive skill as it allows people to comprehend the world around them in a manner that makes sense to them, while also being able to relay the world to others in a way that they can comprehend. Being able to integrate different pieces of information across a broad variety of subjects while then contextualising that integrated information piece in a manner that succinctly relays info to others is valuable. Not only this but being able to predict and sense patterns thus being able to draw conclusions based on available information, makes it possible for the sense maker as it were to understand information from a variety of viewpoints. Where has sense-making been useful in your life? How was it used? Was the application of it utilised to its fullest potential? In conversation, the skill of sense-making is extremely important to keep communication brief and efficient. When do you feel like your sense-making impacted how you were able to get yourself across to others? What tips would you have for somebody, so that they would be able to strengthen their sense-making ability do you incorporate this advice in your own life, if not why, and if yes how effective is it?
A Glowing Tapestry In Our Minds: Creativity
by fireflyyv
Last post
June 22nd
...See more Creativity does not have a positive reputation when it comes to progress building in a lot of conventional scenarios where logic and scientific inferences are more recognized. However, we sometimes become so logical that we tend to forget that creativity can be the root of good ideas. Not only does it help us achieve something that did not exist in our minds prior to our inception of the idea, but it can also play a more significant part of affecting our psychological well-being beyond what we can rationalize. Imagine you're in a dark place where the only company you have is a tapestry of your bright ideas. It sounds lonely, but somehow, it's the reality for some of us out there. Sometimes, people cannot be relied on because of circumstances that lead us to believe so. However, what if there was an outlet that could allow you to express yourself emotionally in your own art form? Whether it's paintings, poems, dancing, crafting, or any other form of art out there, we all have the freedom to express our creativity. Innovations do stem from creativity beyond what conventional sciences could do, but the beauty of creativity is how we're able to express ourselves and see our emotions, from the delightful to the darkest, become tangible art that we can feel with our senses.  Such an example would be from my own experience, where I pulled myself out of a dark time by learning how to express it through poetry. It's such a powerful weapon that you could own. And no matter how you express it, no one will be there to judge you as it's your form of art alone.  In order to reflect upon how creativity helped us during hard times, let's ask ourselves: "How did my creativity pull me out of a dark situation?" If you haven't used your own creativity, then let's think about the future and ask ourselves: "How can I use my own creativity to escape dark thoughts from my own mind?" Thanks for reading. I hope I was able to impart to you how important creativity can be both in thinking of ways out of a sticky situation, whether it be coming up of solutions or being an outlet for our feelings.
Reflection on Thinking and Cognitive Skills
by Hollytail
Last post
June 17th
...See more After reading the contents of Dimension 2----Thinking and Cognition skills, I immediately think of an ancient metaphor in my culture. It compared human as a frog sitting at the bottom of the well. Frogs under the well can only see a small piece of sky above it and lost the ability to make a comprehensive judgement about the whole world, not mentioning using different thinking methods and experience personal growth.    For me, the difficulties once I encountered in my life seemed to be acted as the well that trapped me bereaved me cognitive skills. Years ago, I was taking an extremely important exam that could influenced the direction of my life. Honestly speaking, I was terrified and believed that ‘if I failed that exam, my life would definitely be ruined.’ Unfortunately, with a lot of preparation, I still failed that exam. However, thank to my failure, I finally got a chance to get of the ‘well’ that trapped me for so long and got a chance to explore the unknown world. And luckily, right now, my life was still going to the direction I liked and most importantly, I learnt a lot of possibilities of life.    With the tips provided by the course, I wish to further develop my cognitive skills. I was always doing badly at making long-term goals, I think I could start to focus more on the future and set possible and achievable goals.   Here’s my question for you: 1.     Do you find setting long-terms goals useful, why or why not? 2.     What had you down to improve your cognitive skills?
🌱 Recipe for Growth: Long-Term Envisioning and Orientation 🌱
by plop
Last post
May 27th
...See more Happy Sunday everyone! 🌱 Let's take a small break to think about long-term envisioning and orientation, and some tangible ways to implement it in our lives to boost personal growth and alignment with inner development goals. If you struggle with setting goals or maintaining progress, try the activity below! What is long-term envisioning and orientation? It is living with a focus on the future, embodying your commitment to your long-term goals. It is considering the broader impact of decisions that you make, and ensuring that your decisions align with your goals. Benefits of long-term envisioning and orientation * Boosting self-esteem * Boosting productivity * Fostering a sense of hope * Positive thinking * Building resilience and perseverance * Learning to overcome setbacks * Feelings of accomplishment * Having a sense of organisation * Increase likelihood to achieve goals Activity: 1. Brainstorm your goals. It can be messy, but just get everything out of your head and onto paper. Envision your best possible future in your head. 2. Break the big goals down into smaller, manageable, measurable goals. 3. Add a motivation to each of your goals. Why do you want to do this? 4. Design pathways/systems to help you achieve each goal. What specific steps will you take? 5. Identify challenges/roadblocks that might be in your way. How will you overcome them? 6. Embody your goals. Celebrate your small wins. Allow yourself to be proud! Reflection: Reflect on how far you've come from where you used to be. What would you 5 years ago think of you now? ------------------------- I hope you're all enjoying the IDG course and are learning a lot from it. Here's a short video for some further watching if you're interested in learning more. Cheers! Plop
Critical Thinking
by violetdreamer07
Last post
May 26th
...See more Hey IDG folks! I think critical thinking is so important in today's world where we have access to so much information. It is so important to take the time to ask questions of the information you have access to and really take the time to understand where it comes from and the kind of influences that go into producing this information. Critical thinking allows us to build our own opinions of things by weighing their  pros and cons while also allowing us to think about how they impact our lives. It can be harmful to just accept things and adopt them as beliefs without critically examining them first.  Critical thinking might also help us find creative solutions to our problems. For example, I might have some difficulty understanding an idea. Critically thinking about it would encourage me to think about what is is about the idea that makes it confusing or what it could be in me that makes it difficult for me to understand the idea. This would allow me or whoever is teaching me to figure out how to frame or present the idea in a creative way that also makes it more accessible.  Questions: 1) How can we incorporate more critical thinking in our lives 2) Can you give me an example of a time you used critical thinking?
Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader