Community /

IDG 7 Cups Community Hub

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
September 11th
...See more Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors. Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion. Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity. Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth. Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now? Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved. Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
September 2nd
...See more Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you! Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty. Instructions: 1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue. 2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems. 3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic. 4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario. 5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships. 6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario. 7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future. 8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments. Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
Showing Empathy and Compassion
by BeesOnFlowers
Last post
Thursday
...See more 🌼 Is Empathy and Compassion learned or innate? Recently, my mother told me about her encounter with my empathy when I was little. I was always a tearful child by her account, too sensitive for my own good.  One day, I came to her in a tizzy, babbling about something as I gestured to the garden. When she came to see, I had found a butterfly with a ripped and broken wing, my trembling baby finger gently petting it's back as I begged her to fix it. I'd found him hurt and wanted to help him, but upon realizing I couldn't, I was completely inconsolable. I think about this story when I feel insecure about my emotions, an overactive empathy engine running on tears.  For some, they lose this painful side of empathy as they grow, their compassion slowly becoming locked behind doors of uncertainty and insecurity. 'Tears are shameful,' 'Why do you care?' 'It's just a bug.' And yet there's an innate deepness to the child's heart, wanting to relate and help. Sometimes it's hard to relearn this trait as an adult. You want to have that bond and connection, but it's just not becoming of an adult who needs to be strong. What is a person to do when they want to share these painful feelings but they don't want to feel them? I think there are things we can learn from childhood. The capacity for Compassion is in everyone, Empathy is an active feeling we can express, and it's not learning how to have it, it's learning how to unlock it again. Now under safer hands where we can cast and reel as needed.  🌼 Is Empathy and Compassion learned or innate?
🌱 Recipe for Growth: Appreciation 🌱
by plop
Last post
September 11th
...See more Happy Wednesday (my dudes)! Today we'll think about appreciation. What is appreciation? It is relating to the world around you with a deep, full sense of joy and gratitude, being genuinely thankful, and not being afraid to express it. Benefits of everyday appreciation: * Improved social relationships * Reduced depression * Consistent positive thinking * Improve sleep quality * Lasting joy * Reduce stress * Increase general wellbeing Activity: * Practise showing appreciation every day, drop it into conversations and watch the mood lift!  * Keeping a gratitude diary is also shown to increase wellbeing and positive thinking. Before you go to bed write 1-3 things you were grateful for during that day. (bonus points if your gratitude diary is super cute!) Reflection: What could you say to the next person you see to show appreciation? How do you feel when others express appreciation for you?
optimism. for those who want happiness
by Hermionetps
Last post
September 11th
...See more As a child, I was always jumping with joy here and there. I had this radiance about me gosh, you wouldn't believe the joy. my outlook on life tainted by nothing but the brightest of hues. I remember one particular incident that might help you guys realise my never endind everylasting joy. I must have been roughly 7 or 8 years old when I found a stray dog wandering the streets near my home. Without a moment's hesitation, I scooped up the pup, determined to provide it with food, shelter and a loving home. Despite my limited means as a child, I refused to give in to the notion that I couldn't make a difference. You wouldn't believe what i did. i found a card board Amazon box which had just come in with a delivery and made it that sweet puppies home. i even shared my food with it. though i knew not to give him chocalates. In the end, my mom and i were able to connect the dog with a nearby animal rescue, overjoyed that I had played a role in giving the creature a second chance. Somewhere along the way, however, that unwavering optimism began to fade. The daily grind of adult responsibilities, the discouraging news cycles, and the general negativity that can surf into our lives all took a toll. I found myself becoming more rude, asserive, always afraid of  betrayal and what not also,less willing to believe that positive change was possible. This course has been a revelation, reminding me of the reality of optimism. Through reflection exercises , I've rediscovered the child-like wonder that used to be my default setting. Now, I approach each day with a new sense of hope, believing that I can make a genuine impact, no matter how small the gesture. Discussion Questions: What are some of the key factors that can was away our natural optimism as we grow older? How can we consciously work to maintain a more hopeful outlook? Describe a time when your own optimism and determination helped you overcome a challenge or make a positive difference. What did you learn from that experience? How can we cultivate a culture of optimism within our communities, workplaces, and society at large? What are some concrete steps we can take?
Relating: How Communities have Changed in the Modern World
by reginalistener18
Last post
September 8th
...See more This path course provided valuable insights, teaching us the various qualities and skills needed for personal growth and effective leadership. One dimension I found the most compelling was the dimension of relating- caring for others and the world. Before reading this, I’ve already recognized the importance of strong emotional bonds and social connections. Particularly, with people in our community. Without this, the quality of life for each individual and the community as a whole will be diminished. But this course also reminded me that the actions we take today shape the foundation for the future generations to come. If we live in a world so isolated from one another, in the future, that gap will be even wider.  This reminded me of something I saw on social media. It was a long time ago and I can’t remember the full context but I remember one mom asking if “things have always been like this?” regarding stories of children who were put in danger and had no one to help them. An older woman responded to her question “No. Back then we took care of each other”. This relates to the relating dimension. Back then, it seems that there was a greater sense of community between neighbors. Families would get together for dinner, children would go hang out in the park together, block parties and community picnics, etc. Neighbors would check on other neighbors and ask for favors or perform some acts of kindness because they’ve built that relationship where people felt safe and supported.  I think this is what is missing in our world today. We lost the skill of connectedness. We are so focused on our own lives that we fail to see the bigger picture: our relationships with others, with humanity, and with the global ecosystem. This disconnect has also impacted our capacity for empathy, making it challenging to understand and extend kindness to others. When we fail to relate to one another, we lose our ability to foster compassion and understanding. This can be dangerous. It’s what can lead to inequalities, social injustice, environmental problems, etc.  What do you guys think? Do you agree that our neighbors and communities are less connected than in the past? Is this something you see in your own neighborhood or communities? What are some tips on fostering connections and empathy that you can used to address these issues?  *
Relating - Caring for others in the world
by ScorpiaD
Last post
September 4th
...See more This pretty much explains itself. We know that to relate means to appreciate others, have emphathy and compassion for others, have a certain type of connection to others and have humility for others.  What are some ways that show how you relate or can relate to others?
: "Leading with Heart: How Empathy Can Transform Your Leadership Style"
by CrescentSkylar
Last post
September 4th
...See more Hey everyone, As leaders, we often focus on developing skills like strategic thinking, communication, and problem-solving. However, I want to highlight the importance of empathy in leadership. Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others, and it's a game-changer in building strong relationships, resolving conflicts, and driving positive change. When leaders demonstrate empathy, they create a safe and supportive environment where team members feel heard, valued, and motivated. Empathy helps us understand different perspectives, address unconscious biases, and make more informed decisions. In my experience, empathy has been a key factor in resolving team conflicts and improving collaboration. By actively listening and seeking to understand others' concerns, I've been able to address issues before they escalate and build trust with my team. What are your experiences with empathy in leadership? How have you seen it impact your team or organization? Share your stories and insights
Appreciation
by luffyisthekingofthepirates
Last post
August 9th
...See more Appreciation: The Key to a Better Relationship with Yourself and Others One of the most transformative practices I've tried to adopt in my journey towards personal growth is the art of appreciation. It’s more than just saying “thank you”—it’s a deep, heartfelt acknowledgement of the good in our lives and the people around us. When I reflect on my past, I realize that I often overlooked the value of appreciating the small, everyday moments. I was so focused on what was missing or what needed to change that I rarely paused to truly appreciate what was already there. It wasn’t until I intentionally started to practice appreciation that I noticed huge shifts in my perspective and relationships. Here’s how I integrated appreciation into my life: Start with Self-Appreciation: It begins with being kind to yourself. I made it a daily practice to recognize my own efforts and achievements, no matter how small. I made an achievements list to see what all I had achieved in the past year and acknowledging the progress i have made however small it may seem. Express Gratitude Regularly: I made it a habit to express genuine gratitude to those around me. Whether it was a note, a verbal thank you, or a small act of kindness, acknowledging the efforts and qualities of others helped strengthen my relationships and foster a positive environment. I also started using an app that acts as a gratitude journal (app name- GRATITUDE- self-care journal). Reflect on Positive Moments: At the end of each day, I took time to reflect on the moments I felt thankful for. This practice shifted my focus from what went wrong to what went right, helping me maintain a balanced perspective. It takes a lot of time to learn to focus on the positive instead of the negative, but it will eventually happen and make your life all the more better Celebrate Small Wins: I learned to appreciate the small victories and milestones, both in my personal life and in my interactions with others. This helped me build a habit of recognizing progress and effort, not just results. Since I have always just viewed my achievements as common or something that was just supposed to happen, this step was a big one. Okay, now its time for you to look upon your lives and see how you can fit appreciation into it. * What does your foundation look like, and how does appreciation fit into your life? * How can appreciating others more deeply transform your relationships and perspective? ------------------------- Appreciation is one of the values taught in the Inner Goals Development course, you can learn more about it here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/academy/AcademyPrograms_2311/InnerDevelopmentGoalsCourse_318284/].
Empathy and Compassion
by Admirablerainbow2825
Last post
August 4th
...See more Empathy is the ability to put yourself in others shoes. It is the ability to understand the feelings and emotions of the other person. Compassion is the emotional response to sympathy or empathy and creates a desire to help. Where empathy creates understanding, compassion is more likely to inspire feelings of concern, worry, or sympathy. Compassion is related to taking action whereas empathy is related to feeling. Some of the ways we can be compassionate are as follows: ·       Forgiveness: Forgive someone who has wronged you. ·       Help someone in need: For example, helping an old person cross the road, helping a person carry the groceries to the car, etc. Even the simplest of such acts matter. ·       Listening and being patient with others: For example, actively listening to a person who is facing a challenge in their life. Some of the ways we can show empathy are as follows: ·       Actively listening to others: It involves asking questions or restating what the other person has shared. ·       Being able to sense the other person’s emotions: The ability to identify and detect the emotion the other person is facing ·       Feeling what the other person is feeling: It may seem like you are absorbing their emotions.
Empathy and compassion
by Catmomj99
Last post
July 31st
...See more I think to me empathy and compassion is something that really stood out for me. We live in a world where we are so engrossed by the hustle and bustle that we completely forget treating not only others but also ourselves with love and respect. To be part of a community in which you can relate, talk to without being judged is something I feel is very important for a community to thrive. To feel heard when you feel alone I something that really helped me and I know how important it is. Just an act of kindness can give you hope and sometimes hope is the only thing one needs when they are at the lowest.  We should not forget that we all need each other and this compassion should not only be restricted to humans but to other beings too that are co existing in the ecosystem together. I remember my mother and I used to place water bowls outside our houses so that the stray animals whenever they felt thirsty could drink from it. Just to give in a context we live in  a society where people have individual houses as it is a mountainous region so we don’t have apartments as such. So we started it and we noticed how everyone around us started practising the same thing. Also the kids in our locality became more compassionate and instead of hurting them or being afraid started taking care of them. And we received that compassion back from those animals too. Not even a single case of attack by any stray animal has been reported till date.(if it concerns you) To empathise is to let yourself in their position and feel what they are going through right now. compassion and kindness is something this cruel world needs to make it a better place to live.  Have you ever anytime in your life felt empathy and compassion from anyone maybe a stranger that left an impact on you? Do share your stories! 
Why MH is important in ones life?
by PassionPetals
Last post
July 27th
...See more In today's busy life we all forget how to take care of ourselves emotionally. Mental health is crucial in one's life because it affects how we think, feel, and act. These are few simple steps to understand ourselves better before helping others; * Emotional Well-being: Good mental health helps us manage our emotions effectively, cope with stress, and maintain a positive outlook on life. * Relationships: It plays a vital role in forming and maintaining healthy relationships with others, fostering connections and social support. * Physical Health: Mental health is interconnected with physical health, influencing our overall well-being and immune system. * Performance: It impacts our ability to function well in various areas of life, such as work, school, and daily activities. * Quality of Life: Good mental health enhances our quality of life, leading to increased productivity, contentment, and fulfillment. * Resilience: It helps us bounce back from setbacks, handle challenges effectively, and adapt to changes. * Self-esteem: Positive mental health boosts self-esteem and self-confidence, empowering us to believe in our worth and abilities. * Overall Happiness: Taking care of our mental health contributes to a sense of happiness and well-being, allowing us to lead a fulfilling and meaningful life. Let us make ourselves well-equipped mentally to help others who have no one to listen.
Being Proud of Yourself on Your Worst Days
by Countrygirl095
Last post
July 21st
...See more Being Proud of Yourself on Your Worst Days Life can be filled with ups and downs. Some days may feel fulfilling and successful, while others may feel completely overwhelming and disheartening. It is during these moments of weakness that we can often lose sight of our own worth and accomplishments. However, it is essential for our well-being and personal growth to remember that even on our worst days, there are still reasons to be proud. Recognizing the Human Nature of Burning Out We all experience moments of burnout. It is an inherent part of human nature and can happen to anyone at any time. Whether it's due to stress, exhaustion, or mental fatigue, these moments are inevitable. It is important to remember that experiencing burnout is not a sign of failure; it is simply a sign that we need to take a pause and recharge. Embracing Our Fragility We are like fragile glass, vulnerable to the ups and downs of life. Just like a glass that breaks upon impact, we can experience setbacks and breakdowns. However, it is important to remember that this fragility is an inherent part of who we are. It allows us to grow, learn, and evolve. Failing as a Stepping Stone When we experience a breakdown or a setback, it is easy to view it as a failure. However, in reality, failure is simply a part of the learning process. It is through failures that we learn, adapt, and grow. Every setback is an opportunity for growth and a stepping stone towards our ultimate success. Finding Your Beautiful Base As we navigate through life's ups and downs, it is important to remember that our base, our core, is beautiful. Our true nature is resilient, strong, and compassionate. It is through our failures and setbacks that we discover who we truly are. Our beautiful base is always there, reminding us of our worth and the potential for greatness. Conclusion In conclusion, being proud of yourself on your worst days is a journey. It requires recognizing the inherent nature of burnout and embracing our fragility. It is through these experiences that we discover our base and find our strength. Remember that failure is not failure, but a valuable stepping stone towards our ultimate success. So, next time you find yourself struggling, take a moment to be proud of yourself, even on your worst days.
Growth From the Outside In
by positivelyLuna333
Last post
July 16th
...See more “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive.”- James Baldwin I want to reach into this quote. In my last post, "Growth from the Inside Out" I went over a key part of growth learned in the dimension of "Being- Relationship to Self". But, we are never going to survive in the world as good people, no matter how much we grow, if we do not have one thing. So, how can the world affect us for the better? How can it grow us from the Outside In? I have one word for you: Empathy.  Empathy is defined as this: "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another." Because the truth is this: we do not have to look into books to find people who have been through things like us, or worse than us, or better than us. Yet the thing is still this: that everyone is going through something different in life, and if we want to be good people we must meet people where they are at. We need to be able to know that you never know what someone has gone through, and in this treat everyone with the same amount of love and respect. To go to anyone at all and say: I see you, your experiences are validates, and I will never judge you for what you have gone through or what you feel because of it.  Two Questions/Activities to reflect on gaining empathy, and in turn care for others in this world.  1. Imagine you meet someone, and without knowing it fully, they have the exact same backstory as you: a past of pain, or healing, or conflicting emotional battles. Imagine they are at their, and in turn your, absolute worst. Have them pictured? Now answer this question: Is it safe to say you have met this person?  2. Now, mold this backstory, just a smidge or by a hundred miles. We are all walking in different shoes, you are always meeting yourself or a complete stranger who is at their best, or worst, or in the fragile stages of healing. Now, answer this question: No matter what someone is going through, how can I remind myself to extend the upmost empathy to them by putting myself in their shoes?  I hope you found this exercise helpful, and If you completed both, thank you! We are all just people who can use growth to make the world a better place, both by helping ourselves and others. :) ------------------------- Explore the Inner Development Goals Course here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/academy/AcademyPrograms_2311/InnerDevelopmentGoalsCourse_318284/]
Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader