Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Evolution of Values: Embracing Change

SoulfullyAButterfly October 5th, 2023

values_1696500900.png

Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors.

Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion.

Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity.

Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth.

Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now?

Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved.

Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.

Paul07 August 19th
I think that patience has become more important to me over time. I used to be impatient, but life experiences like setbacks have helped teach me its value. Now, I approach challenges more calmly, leading to better decisions :)
exquisiteGrace9695 August 24th

@SoulfullyAButterfly Embracing change...initially it was not my value. But life experiences led me to this value, when life would throw anything whenever at me, unannounced, that's when I realized some things are outside my control, and started embracing change. Now, instead of complaining about why things happened the way they did, and cursing my fate, I just try to accept the situation, and bring out the best possible solution that maintains my peace.

Hermionetps August 25th

@SoulfullyAButterfly never realized that there were so many small things you and I can do for such good lifes

Robbin77 September 4th

My values have evolved a lot into my adult life. While I still feel there are many core values that have stayed consistent, I have gained an emphasis greatly on community connection as well as familial connection. I think this mostly comes from being a queer person who comes from a very religious family, and despite it being tough, knowing that for myself personally I need both my chosen family and my biological family even if it looks different than I expected.

Anooshay September 11th

@SoulfullyAButterfly Thinking back on changing values has great power. My own experiences with loss and difficulties have made empathy more important to me. I used to prioritize ambition, but these days I put understanding other people's hardships first. This change improves my relationships and helps me act more compassionately. What changes have you seen in your values?