Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Taking ACTION when you don't feel like it

Frankie111 12 hours ago

To make change in ones life, actually ACTING on what one desires is such an important concept. In my experience, it’s true that it does take courage, resilience, hope, and optimism.

I’ve recently found that I shouldn’t wait for my feelings to change before taking action, but rather that by taking the action that my feelings end up changing positively.  

I was recently unmotivated to work out. I set a goal that first thing in the morning I was going to do a short 15 to 20 min hitt workout 4 days a week, while listening to fun music. Now that I’ve been doing it for a few weeks, it’s turned into a habit and I’m actually feeling really good about it.

Have you ever taken ACTION on something, despite not feeling totally ready/motivated? How did it work out for you?

Frankie111 OP 9 hours ago

@Frankie111

Updated to make response longer:

To make change in one’s life, actually ACTING on what one desires is such an important concept. In my experience, it’s true that it does take courage, resilience, hope, and optimism.

I’ve recently found that I shouldn’t wait for my feelings to change before taking action, but rather that by taking the action that my feelings end up changing positively. This realisation was a revelation to me.

I was recently unmotivated to work out. I set a goal that first thing in the morning I was going to do 15-20 min hitt workout 4 days a week, while listening to fun music. Now that I’ve been doing it for a few weeks, it’s turned into a habit and I’m feeling really great about it.

Through the process of doing my short workouts 4 days a week I also realised that it doesn’t need to be massive action that one take to derive a benefit. Instead of being extreme, it just needs to be consistent action. Consistent action leads to progress and progress leads to results.

Have you ever taken ACTION on something, despite not feeling totally ready or motivated to do so? How did it end up working out for you?

@Frankie111 Hey, I appreciate your post and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I agree with you, acting on one’s desires is essential to make a change in one’s life. I’m elated to know that although you were unmotivated to work out you still pushed forward, eventually feeling really great about it and even turning it into a habit. That’s amazing that you were able to do this through consistent action.

Indeed, I have taken action on something despite feeling low motivation at the time. When the feelings of low motivation occurred and I realized, I took a step back to examine the root cause. I discovered that I was having these feelings due to burnout, given the excessive work I had to do at the time. I took action on decreasing my feelings on low motivation by working on managing both important tasks and the time. I took to a chart to document everything needed to do and the time needed. I took action on each one of these tasks, ensuring that my time was managed and there was also room for self-care.

Quite quickly through taking action, I found that my levels of motivation were back up and I was able to function more productively.