Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Courage - Big and Small Changes

seaturtle54 July 31st

Hi again!

For my second quality I decided to write about courage, which is a trait that I admire a lot but sometimes struggle to harness in my own life. A large part of courage is overcoming difficulty and uncertainty, which can be very hard to do. However, I believe we all have the capacity to show courage, and it’s really important that we do because, as we learn in the Inner Development Goals course, it’s a big part of acting and making change both inside and outside of ourselves.

Many of the greatest leaders in both history and modern times have shown outstanding courage in standing up to unfair social structures and practices and are responsible for making the world a better place for everyone. If it wasn’t for their courage and strong commitment to their values in spite of the status quo, nothing ever would have changed. This is a very powerful lesson to learn because it shows how much a single person can do just by being brave enough to take action.

Of course, not all of us are leaders on that scale (at least not yet!), and taking small steps can help us build up our courage to something bigger. With that being said, here are two questions I came up with to help us reflect on courage in history and our own lives:

1. Who is a leader you look up to, and how did they show courage against strong odds?

2. What’s something in your life you’ve been afraid to do, and what’s a small step you can take toward eventually doing it?

Again, thank you everyone for interacting with this discussion!

@seaturtle54

1. A leader I look up to is Malala Yousafzai. She was a women who stood up for the education of girls.

2. An area of my life I have been afraid to do is social interaction. I have been afraid to communicate with people. This has led me to feel lonely. But, I now realize it takes courage to talk to people. A small step I can take to initiate a conversation can be to start by being kind to people and make one feel understood.

seaturtle54 OP August 4th

@Admirablerainbow2825

I love Malala too, her story is so incredible and her bravery and resilience is so inspiring! I'm happy you're finding the courage to start talking to people and helping them feel better about themselves too! Good luck :)

@seaturtle54

1. Martin Luther King Jr.

2. Drumming, i guess i can start by taking 1 lesson a week.

exquisiteGrace9695 August 24th

@seaturtle54 I afraid to approach people I interested in making connection with. To overcome this I took few steps: tried to reach them out in person when they were alone. Talked to their friend who I was comfortable with. Talked to people I was comfortable with to express my discomfort. They just know how to fill me up with courage, by listing me the bright sides.

Hermionetps August 25th

@seaturtle54 I look up to my ex teacher.

and I am generally afraid of results

Anooshay September 11th

@seaturtle54Hello!

What a profound issue courage is, and I love how you're examining it. It's true that, whether on a large or intimate basis, courage frequently entails taking risks and questioning the existing quo.

Nelson Mandela is a leader I greatly admire because of his bravery in defying South Africa's apartheid system in spite of grave personal danger. Even after years in prison, his continuous dedication to justice and equality is a shining example of the power and influence of courage.

I know that fear of failing has kept me from pursuing several job objectives. I might start small by scheduling informational interviews with experts in the sector to gain knowledge and boost confidence.