Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Transformation One Affirmation at a Time" Challenge

EmotionsListener December 30th, 2022

Do you enjoy origami, want to work on some positive affirmations? This is a project I actually assigned myself a few years ago, and managed to do every day for an entire year, so I thought I’d share the idea with you all, and perhaps challenge you all to join with me in creating another year of origami affirmations!

_1672367109.Butterfly banner 2.png

[Image consists of lots of different colour origami butterflies in a pile]

The first time I did these I made origami butterflies with each little square of paper so I’ll share the steps to making an origami butterfly below. Why a butterfly? I like that butterflies are symbols of transformation, hope, renewal, The things we can do if we trust ourselves, and our ability to emerge from challenges stronger and better than before.

Otherwise it’s simple. Each day, on one side of a square of origami paper, you write a simple affirmation. For example: “I am creative”. Or maybe even something you are thankful for, or good that happened that day?

Then you fold that affirmation up and give it wings to soar. I then put each day’s butterfly in a jar, bowl or or vase and watch that container fill up with all the nice things you wrote each day.

Materials needed:

Origami paper - unless you want to end up with a very large container of origami, I recommend using a 2.5 to 5 cm (1 to 2 inch) square origami paper. That way you end up with mini butterflies.

Pen/pencil - Use whatever writing utensil you like. You can write on either side of the paper, I like to write on the back/inside so that you can’t see the words once I fold the butterfly.

Container - Something to store your butterflies in, I recommend something clear where you can see your butterflies and be reminded each day. This year I may use one of my large mason jars.

Shadow box *if desired* - After the year was finished I transferred all of my butterflies into a pair of shadow boxes so I could hang them on the wall and have that reminder of all those positive affirmations.

While you can fold any origami shape you choose, here is a simple butterfly pattern you can try!

Origami Butterfly Pattern Instructions:

_1672367167.Origami Butterfly Instructions 2.png

[Image consists of the steps to folding an origami butterfly]

Need help with those positive statements, here are some ideas, are you creative? Maybe you are thoughtful? Remember you can also write what you are thankful for, or something good that happened each day too!

Some positive character traits:

Accountable, adaptable, adventurous, ambitious, artistic, assertive, authentic, beautiful, brave, brilliant, capable, charismatic, compassionate, conscientious, considerate, consistent, cooperative, courageous, creative, curious, dedicated, determined, diplomatic, disciplined, dynamic, easygoing, effective, efficient, empathetic, empowering, energetic, enthusiastic, expressive, fair, faithful, fearless, flexible, friendly, generous, grateful, gracious, happy, hardworking, honest, humble, imaginative, independent, innovative, inquiring, intelligent, joyful, just, kind, knowledgeable, lively, logical, loving, loyal, mature, nurturing, open-minded, optimistic, organized, patient, peaceful, playful, polite, positive, powerful, proactive, productive, punctual, reliable, resilient, resourceful, responsible, sincere, skillful, spontaneous, strong, successful, supportive, tactful, trusting, trustworthy, truthful, versatile, vibrant, warm, welcoming, wise, young-at-heart….

So, challenge yourself to see more of the good in you, maybe use these words or find your own. Perhaps ultimately you will say “I am worth it!”

_1672367259.Butterfly banner.png

[Image consists of lots of different colour origami butterflies in a pile]

So will you join in the challenge? Perhaps you will join me in making this a year long practice, or maybe just do it for one month? Then share a picture of your beautiful butterflies with us?!

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @NixiePixieStick @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

Avocado8028 December 30th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I'd like to take up the origami challenge! I've crafted things with my hands since I was a kid 🙋‍♀️

MistyMagic December 30th, 2022

@Avocado8028 can't wait to see your results! I found my origami paper this morning!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

EmotionsListener OP December 30th, 2022

@Avocado8028

I can't wait to see what you create! 🦋

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 30th, 2022

@EmotionsListener @MistyMagic

I love thissss!🥺❤

_1672412497.image.png

The smol ones were trickier to fold but extra cute haha! 🥰

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Ohhhh well done! I love that family of butterflies! Yayyyyyy

@MistyMagic Thankchuu!🦋 Can't wait to meet yours!🦋

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I see you found one of the other origami butterfly patterns that are out there, I was trying to find a video for the one I have made since I was a little kid, but found lots of others instead, including a very fancy one I now have to try... first large size then miniature!

Thank you for joining in! 🦋

@EmotionsListener

I just searched "easy origami butterfly" on youtube lol! Emphasis on *easy*.😁

This was fun, thanks so much!

You're sooo creative and good at this stuff, I hope you find the other style you're looking for also!🦋

EmotionsListener OP January 1st, 2023

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I recognize the pattern you found, there are quite a few different butterfly patterns out there of varying levels of difficulty for sure. I'm just surprise that the one I've known since I was a kid is seemingly nowhere, makes me wonder where I learned it from?!

Who knows if you decide to make one every day for a month you'll be an origami expert in no time! 🤣

@EmotionsListener I love this and the colours are so beautiful! Thank-youuuuuuuuuuu! I will have a go. I found a big glass jar, but it has dog biscuits in at the moment lol hmmm I wonder.

@MistyMagic

Good luck finding the right jar/container. The first time I did it I used a "glass fishbowl vase" but I had to put a lid on it due to a curious feline!

@EmotionsListener Ok so I am now officially baaaad at origami, that will be why I had a stack of colored origami square paper on the shelf!

So instead I folded in half and cut out a butterfly and wrote on it :) very pleased with myself

@MistyMagic

Hey, whatever artistic outlet you enjoy sounds like a great way to honor the positive messages and words to me!

For example, I'm even thinking how I could write on the reverse of squares of paper of all different sizes and then glue them words down onto a poster board of sorts, each day filling in a collage of colour!

Maybe others will follow your lead, go outside the box and find their own creative expression to use in this way?! 🦋

Ohhh this isn't so easy, I ended up with a mess lol 😆

@MistyMagic

I'm trying to find some better instructions, it's too bad I can't make a video that would be anonymous to share the instructions. I may try to write up a summary of the visual instructions above, I know you start with the "origami triangle base". But I'll see what I can find to help! 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

SleepyShyCat December 30th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Finding the supplies for some butterflies :0

busy-cat-cant-talk.gif

@SleepyShyCat

Sounds like fun to me!

Also thanks for the cute cat gif, it's great that there are so many cute cats out there to make us smile! 😸

theboymoana December 31st, 2022

@EmotionsListener

i can’t do those my hands don’t work good just like those is so cool little paper butterflies say nice things that is good job did so many them !

@theboymoana

It's okay if you don't feel up to making origami, perhaps you can find another way to incorporate positive statements into art?

I know I mentioned one of my other ideas above where it just involves gluing down the squares of paper and making a 'collage' from them. Maybe you can find an outlet that matches up with your own skill set?

theboymoana January 2nd, 2023

@EmotionsListener

oh thats good idea. Maybe can do that I make collage first time at developmental disability center I go to we do new years collage for things want happen new years so maybe can do some thing like that !