Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Amigurumi Fun

EmotionsListener July 15th, 2022

To start off, I guess I'll define what amigurumi is for those who aren't familiar with the term. Amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small, stuffed yarn creatures or dolls. Amigurumi vary in size, and appearance.

I am an avid crafter, I enjoy all sorts of different mediums and outlets, one that I've spent a lot of my time on recently has been crocheting various amigurumi. I often take requests for different forms people want to see, currently on my hook and not quite ready for it's photographic debut is a little red dragon. Some days I will make 2 or 3 of these projects in a day, other times it will take me a few days to finish all the pieces for one.

What I love about this form of crochet is that it's nearly all worked in spiral rounds, so there is less struggle working into a foundation chain. Not to mention somehow no matter what you make, they almost always end up cute which boosts my mood. Further, they can work up quickly so it's easier to stay motivated and have the satisfaction that comes from completing something.

I regularly find cute patterns for free online, or even just use my own knowledge of basic shapes and forms after all those patterns to create my own. For example I recently made up my own pattern for a tiny little "Noni" and used the basics design from another pattern to create my own pattern for a sloth.

_1657887517.Noni.jpg_1657887637.Sloth.jpg

When I first started making amigurumi, I used the recommended hook sizes from patterns, often a 3.25mm or D hook but found that I wanted a denser fabric where you couldn't see any of the stuffing inside and now use a 1.3mm(US10) hook regardless of the weight of the yarn I'm using. I also finally invested in safety eyes instead of sewing on beads or buttons which may have been my best decision yet! Overall what I've learned is that the patterns are a good guide especially when you are starting out, but it's okay to find what works best for you as you pick up new tips and tricks along the way.

Complicated as they may look, amigurumi can actually be a great crochet project for beginners!

Questions to ponder:

1. Do you knit/crochet? What project(s) are you currently working on?
  2. Have you ever made an amigurumi?
    • If you have, what did you find most challenging/rewarding? (I'd also love to see pictures!)
    • If not, is there anything you feel would stop you from trying?
  3. If you were going to pick your own amigurumi pattern to try, what would you want to make?
MistyMagic July 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Those are so cute! I love them! I can't crochet, I knit but I have yarn and hooks so tell me how! Please!

I look forwards to learning more about this :)

Listening - One Step At A Time!

EmotionsListener OP July 15th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Thanks. I'll definitely be happy to try to share and teach any who want to learn how to make these fun little critters. I'm looking forward to the process!

Tagging the subcommunity tag list (If you want to be added/removed click here!) @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @BlueRiver5968 @ChildGoddessFlute @Fristo @HealingTalk @Lou73 @MistyMagic @Paprika001 @sweetrosa1987 @WorriedMagpie

WorriedMagpie July 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

These are incredible :O

OOh what an insightful post! I've always wanted to try having a go at amigurumis !

1. Do you knit/crochet? What project(s) are you currently working on?

I had a go at knitting a few times although the best I got was a really long skinny scarf !

1. Have you ever made an amigurumi?

Noo I've not, though with some imagination I guess I could say the scarf was a long skinny snake with out eyes XD

If not, is there anything you feel would stop you from trying?

Just the lack of knowing where to start, I have a crochet hook and would love to learn though, ive never really put the time in

1. If you were going to pick your own amigurumi pattern to try, what would you want to make?

A Uromastyx lizard! -- I have a pet one called Kiiki :D

Oooooh I'd love to learn more about this! Gunna keep an eye out ! :D

@WorriedMagpie

Firstly thank you, I'm glad you liked them.

I know before I made my first amigurumi I was very intimidated just looking at them, but once I finished my first one, I was hooked. (Pun intended!)

Long skinny scarfs, ah my favourite kind of knitting project! I've learned they may start off looking wide enough but with the way knitted fabric stretches, I have to start them off a lot wider than I expect!

There you go, you made an amigurumi snake that also makes a charming scarf! Excellent use of creativity!

Oh you may like my big lizard pattern then, I've made little ones simply by using sock yarn instead of regular yarn! This guy was one of my very first amigurumi projects, and very colourful upon request!
_1657901430.Lizard.jpg

As to learning... I guess you could say I'm working on a bit of fun for around these parts when it comes to that! 🧢

WorriedMagpie July 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

:D thanks so much for the encouragement! :) Yeah we all gotta start somewhere right!

Haha yeah - real expert on the long skinny snakes me πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Oooh he's so lovely and colourful! And one of your first? He looks super complicated! :0 I'd love to have a go at making one of those one day!

Wellllll that sounds ominous and very exciting :< will absolutely be watching this space with hook at the ready!
πŸ˜πŸ¦πŸ’š
EmotionsListener OP July 17th, 2022

@WorriedMagpie

Yes, I hadn't done much before I made the first Lizard, the most complicated part of that pattern was probably the feet/toes, I actually made up my own pattern for the toes the next time I made a lizard. But I've always been one to enjoy taking on a challenge, and sometimes they turn out to be easier than I anticipate!

Yes, very "ominous"... 🧢

Paprika001 July 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I absolutely loveee your creations, they're so cute! Thank you so much for sharing these with us. I personally do not knit or crochet, that's definitely not my area of expertise, but I would like to try it some time. If I did try, I would start off with something super simple and maybe build up from there if its something that I enjoy!

@Paprika001

Thank you! There are so many ways to be creative and I enjoy many of them as well. Who knows maybe you'll get a chance to try some simple crochet soon and see if it is something you'd like! 🧢

Solome24 July 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Omg these are too cute πŸ˜‚ I especially love the sloth πŸ¦₯

I don't knit/crochet. I can sew a little. I used to knit a little as my mom was a great knitter, she would teach me. She also did a lot of needlepoint (I think is what it's called). She was very talented and had a ton of patience, which I am lacking I think lol. I do love to paint though, particularly watercolor painting. I just struggle to make time for it, get everything set up and paint... I paint for hours and hours lol Thank you for sharing this. You've inspired me, maybe some day I will share a few of my paintings 😊

@Solome24

Thank you! I've had a few requests for sloths since... Funny how that happens!

A lot of needle arts and yarn arts do require a degree of patience that can be challenging! Although I find it can also be good practice for learning to be more patient with ourselves and others. I find for me sewing takes the greatest patience and a bit of faith that the "mess" in my hands will turn a corner and start looking like the dress I was trying to make!

Painting can indeed be a wonderful outlet as well, but the "getting set up" is often what stops me for many artistic outlets! I think that's what helps me with crochet it's often a matter of pick up the ball of yarn and hook and away I go. So much less set up and clean up involved!

I do hope you will share your work with us all when you feel ready!

Solome24 July 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Thanks for the encouraging words, much appreciated! <3

HealingTalk July 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Those are so cute!

It might be wonderful to assemble a varied collection, or giving them as your-hand-made gifts

I have no experience with knitting of any kind, unfortunately

I have done some macrame (knots and braids). I have seen amazing things done with macrame, but they are well beyond me.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful knitted pets!

EmotionsListener OP July 16th, 2022

@HealingTalk

Thank you! I've actually been making a rather varied collection, in the past month alone I think I've made at least 20 different amigurumi. For some I am hoping to get a shadowbox or display case of sorts so I can put them in it for myself as the initial motivation for them means that much of the collection is something "sentimental" to me.

Oh macramΓ© is also fun, we only ever made like macramΓ© bracelets and things when I was doing it, but it's another impressive art form as you say!

HealingTalk July 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Wow!

20 different cute amigurumi in a month!

You are a cuteness-making powerhouse!

It's a great idea to have them on display, to see them every day, as they look very heartwarming and inspiring.

Lou73 July 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener these are absolutely adorable!!!β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

1. Do you knit/crochet? What project(s) are you currently working on? I recently learnt the basics of crochet and have successfully made a square haha, but not much luck making anything more complicated!
  2. Have you ever made an amigurumi? I haven't and would love to try, but something that might stop me trying is the worry that it would go wrong
  3. If you were going to pick your own amigurumi pattern to try, what would you want to make? If I could make amigurumi I would make every animal possible! :)

@Lou73

Thank you! Their adorableness is what makes it so addictive I'm sure.

It sounds like you are just starting, but I've found that really if you can make a square, you already have most of the skills you would need! Though a willingness to try and get it wrong can go a long way toward learning how to get it right. Who knows before long you may also be on your way to having a mini yarn zoo!

chyni July 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

1. Do you knit/crochet? What project(s) are you currently working on? So my mom does crochet and i always thought it was cool, because my grandma thought her, and my great-grand mom thought my grandma, and grandaunt, so it has been something special to my family.. so like i said, i always thought it was cool, but i couldn't crochet to save my life even when my mom thought me, lol, it just seemed so hard. However, when i left school, i decided to try again, and i'm now proud to say, with the help of youtube videos and my mom's guidance i can now crochet, :x

2. Have you ever made an amigurumi? so i crochet some cute little amigurumi keychains, i made an owl, panda, three octopuses and a starfish.. i haven't done anything since recent thou..

• If you have, what did you find most challenging/rewarding? (I'd also love to see pictures!) what i found most challenging would be trying to get a new pattern, and most rewarding is the finishing.. omg, i'd be like, i can't believe i made this, that i actually crochet this..

3. If you were going to pick your own amigurumi pattern to try, what would you want to make? um, i'd wanna make stuffed toys.. just because i love them, lol

Thank goodness for Youtube tutorials, some of them are really good when we are just starting out and learning how to crochet.

I love making the really tiny amigurumi with crochet cord as keychains! Sounds like you were having a bit of fun as well. I do agree finding a good pattern can be a challenge, but when that pattern turns out as cute as you had hoped it's very rewarding!

chyni October 10th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Indeed, thank God for YouTube, and you are absolutely right, I was having fun, LOTS. I haven't crochet anything of lately, but I can't wait to start again, trying new and different stuff this time.

EmotionsListener OP October 10th, 2022

@chyni

I've been so busy my poor hooks are missing me too! Hopefully I'll get back to it this week! Good luck with your new and different creations!

chyni October 24th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Thank you, hope you can get back to crocheting soon.

EmotionsListener OP October 24th, 2022

@chyni

Well I was poking around in my project bag already this morning, so we will see! 😁

orangeTriangle4803 July 17th, 2022

So cute 😍 . I crochet , but I have never had patience for counting rounds or stitches. I have tried amigurumi but have always given up before finishing.

I tend to find repeating patterns of one or 2 rows that after the first couple rows you have the pattern memorized. For whatever reason it takes away from my enjoyment and relaxation when it's a complicated pattern.

Currently working a throw blanket in a picot lace stitch. I love how relaxing and rewarding crochet is. It helps me work through anxiety and I feel a great sense of accomplishment that I created something.

@orangeTriangle4803

I used to find I hated counting rounds but I've noticed that with the smaller amigurumi it's fairly easy to keep track. I've often found the type of project I want to work on depends on the mood I'm in, though I usually end up knitting when I want to make blankets and use crochet for designing my own projects or amigurumi.

But overall, I agree, once you find what you enjoy it can definitely be a relaxing outlet and give that sense of accomplishment when you finish projects.

July 18th, 2022

@EmotionsListener you made a Noni.. Aww <3

EmotionsListener OP July 19th, 2022

@DonaldDraper

Well Noni was so simple to make up I couldn't resist!

emotionalTalker2260 July 18th, 2022

:P i made something

_1658137981.6F43FFEE-B601-4C30-A917-6FE2061A0589.jpeg

A little jellyfish made by freehand 😊 her name is jewel. As she’s a jewel (and the only project I’ve ever finished under a year 😬 only took 3 days. Whoohooo)

WorriedMagpie July 18th, 2022

@emotionalTalker2260

Bdeiwochwhojxbwoduebwvock it's so cute!!!!! 🀯🀯

@WorriedMagpie

It really is :0 can’t believe i finished my first ever crochet project πŸ‘€

@emotionalTalker2260

Your first! πŸ€―πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

I can't .. she's too cute 😭😭😭And three days!! Big pat's on back! You should be proud that's incredible 🀯 pretty inspired to try myself ! I'll see you in about a year 🀣🀣🀣with a long skinny snake!

I need more cute things :< what are you planning on trying next? πŸ’šπŸ¦

@WorriedMagpie

xD snakes are easy to make. Just need to make a very thin one 😭 /jk jk

next project is what i was trying to do in the first place, which was making a dino @_@ i may need instructions for that one hahahaha. Or I’ll end up with another lil jellyfish πŸ˜€

@emotionalTalker2260

I meaaaannn head of a Dino body of a jellyfish sounds incredibly cute πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ¦•

Haha yeah they call me the straight line snake maker πŸπŸπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Maybe I'll have a go at a jelly first πŸ€”

@WorriedMagpie

hahaha. How did you know it was the dino’s body πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

and hehehe, i was very good at making β€˜clotheslines’ for many years. Just haven’t made anything out of them really xD

EmotionsListener OP July 19th, 2022

@emotionalTalker2260

Yay dino-head jellyfish! (New species of jellyfish right?) I'm glad you finished a project and well done on getting it done so fast!

emotionalTalker2260 July 19th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

it was a dino tail jellyfish xD

MistyMagic July 20th, 2022

@emotionalTalker2260 wowwwwwww! Well done!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

emotionalTalker2260 July 20th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Thanks mistyyyyy πŸ˜€

TypoQueenie September 11th, 2022

These are amazing creations! I love crochet. Amurigami crochet is so so fun! I have several half done amurigami around my house lol. I love bringing little creatures to life! Right now I am making crochet frog headbands. Crochet is my favorite thing to do. I like to throw on an Audible book and get lost in crochet. :)

EmotionsListener OP September 12th, 2022

@TypoQueenie

Amigurumi is so fun, only trouble is where do you but the ever growing collection of cuteness? πŸ˜†

As to the 'half done' status of some, I have a few dragons waiting for me to sew them together. I've made all the pieces but sometimes that final assembly takes me a while to complete. It's like I have to be in the right mood for that part.

Crochet frog headbands sound cool, perhaps you'll have to share a picture?

I typically throw on a movie or tv show when I crochet, and have often struggled to enjoy audiobooks, but maybe I'll have to try listening to one while I crochet and see if that works for me too.

Thank you for sharing! Happy crocheting!