Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Amigurumi Fun

EmotionsListener July 15th, 2022

To start off, I guess I'll define what amigurumi is for those who aren't familiar with the term. Amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small, stuffed yarn creatures or dolls. Amigurumi vary in size, and appearance.

I am an avid crafter, I enjoy all sorts of different mediums and outlets, one that I've spent a lot of my time on recently has been crocheting various amigurumi. I often take requests for different forms people want to see, currently on my hook and not quite ready for it's photographic debut is a little red dragon. Some days I will make 2 or 3 of these projects in a day, other times it will take me a few days to finish all the pieces for one.

What I love about this form of crochet is that it's nearly all worked in spiral rounds, so there is less struggle working into a foundation chain. Not to mention somehow no matter what you make, they almost always end up cute which boosts my mood. Further, they can work up quickly so it's easier to stay motivated and have the satisfaction that comes from completing something.

I regularly find cute patterns for free online, or even just use my own knowledge of basic shapes and forms after all those patterns to create my own. For example I recently made up my own pattern for a tiny little "Noni" and used the basics design from another pattern to create my own pattern for a sloth.

_1657887517.Noni.jpg_1657887637.Sloth.jpg

When I first started making amigurumi, I used the recommended hook sizes from patterns, often a 3.25mm or D hook but found that I wanted a denser fabric where you couldn't see any of the stuffing inside and now use a 1.3mm(US10) hook regardless of the weight of the yarn I'm using. I also finally invested in safety eyes instead of sewing on beads or buttons which may have been my best decision yet! Overall what I've learned is that the patterns are a good guide especially when you are starting out, but it's okay to find what works best for you as you pick up new tips and tricks along the way.

Complicated as they may look, amigurumi can actually be a great crochet project for beginners!

Questions to ponder:

1. Do you knit/crochet? What project(s) are you currently working on?
  2. Have you ever made an amigurumi?
    • If you have, what did you find most challenging/rewarding? (I'd also love to see pictures!)
    • If not, is there anything you feel would stop you from trying?
  3. If you were going to pick your own amigurumi pattern to try, what would you want to make?
blitheSun94 February 24th, 2023

My kids would love that!

BrokenBrainiac February 14th, 2023

Oh yes! I love crochet! I've been struggling to get back into it lately but I love it!

EmotionsListener OP February 21st, 2023

@BrokenBrainiac

It can be hard to pick up a hook again, sometimes even just finding the time to set aside for it can be a challenge. It seems your hooks are calling, I hope you will take some time to crochet again soon!

β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ