Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I stopped drinking soda, and...

IGuessIAmAPlatypus March 17th, 2016

I thought it would cut down the amount of sugar and caffeine I was consuming. It's been a few months, and now if I try to drink soda I get bad stomach cramps, gas, and a headache. I used to basically only drink soda, especially dark colas, for years and years, but now carbonated drinks are just plain unappealing. Once in a while I'll have a Coke if I go out somewhere nice, but for the most part, it's tea, milk, or water for me. Guess I can safely say I kicked the habit.

Years ago, during my first year of college, I stopped drinking soda and switched to milk with every meal. I lost ten pounds by the end of that year. This time, I'm gaining weight. It isn't a problem now (unless you ask the bmi chart, but that thing lies) but it will be in about twenty years. Both sides of my family are prone to obesity, especially the women and especially around middle age, so I'm trying to start getting into healthier habits while I'm still young, so that hopefully I can keep those healthy habits further into adulthood and avoid post-menopausal obesity and the effects it has on health. It only gets harder to stay healthy the older one gets, as I understand it, so I figure the best time to start is now. So far, soda down. Up next, actually eating vegetables.

Wicket51 March 17th, 2016

@IGuessIAmAPlatypus good for you! I drink Coke every day for years and want to stop but my meds make me tired so I feel I need the caffeine. I'm hooked but reading this now I have some hope and motivation :) Good luck!!!

OpenEyesOpenHeart August 1st, 2016

@Wicket51

I agree, I could use some help with kicking my Coke obsession. It's one of the two things that are left in my diet that are classified as really bad but I just like the bubbles and sugar. I am thinking of trying to try out other drinks to try substituting coke with a better option.

PoliteOcean March 20th, 2016

THat is so great that you have been able to "Kick the Habit"! And there is nothing wrong if you choose to have a carbonated drink "in moderation" if that is what you want or to treat yourself. Its great that you have decided this is better for you and you feel good about your choice!.... I gave up soda's and juices about 8 years ago. I lost weight immediately, but I really needed to lose what I did. But it was amazing to see the effects that drinking those sugary drinks daily had on my body and weight at the time. Congrats to you and keep up the great work!