Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #35: What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

ASilentObserver April 5th

Hello all! 

Last week we discussed: Why do we often struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities? If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt-  What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

In last week's discussion, @Tinywhisper11 suggested discussing more on why we feel different emotions/feelings and what they mean, or are, and how to stop/control them. So our emotions are a complex mix of biology, psychology, and experience. And, they arise from a combination of factors:

• Physiological responses. Our body reacts to situations with physical changes. A racing heart during a presentation or sweaty palms before a date are physiological responses to emotional states.
  • Thoughts and interpretations. How we interpret events triggers emotional responses. For example, forgetting your phone might trigger mild annoyance, but if you interpret it as forgetfulness and incompetence, it could lead to frustration or anger.
  • Past experiences. Our past shapes how we react to situations. A bad experience with public speaking might make you fearful of future presentations.

What are Emotions vs. Feelings:  though often they are used interchangeably, there's a subtle difference. Emotions are short-lived reactions, like a jolt of surprise or a surge of anger. Feelings are the conscious experience of those emotions, influenced by our thoughts and interpretations. But why do we have emotions?  Because emotions serve a purpose. They allow us to

• Adapt and survive. Fear motivates us to avoid danger. Happiness encourages us to seek out rewarding experiences.
  • Connect with others. Emotions like empathy and compassion allow us to build relationships.
  • Communicate. We express emotions through facial expressions, tone of voice, and body language.

But can we control our emotions?  Not entirely. But we can learn to manage them. Please share what works for you or what did you try so far. Let's discuss and learn better to manage our emotions. I look forward to discussing them with you. 

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.

i-just-get-bitter-sometimes-love-death-and-robots.gif
Admirablerainbow2825 August 30th

@ASilentObserver

What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

Some coping mechanisms I use to manage difficult emotions is writing down what I am thinking in paper. This helps me understand the difficult emotions. They are just a part of life. We all go through these difficult situations that causes us to react in ceratin ways. It's all about acceptance. 

Practicing gratitude and telling positive affirmations over yourself also helps. Being grateful for the things,people and events that has happened in one's life relieves all the stresses from mind that was caused due to negative interpretation of these events.

Doing some activity or the other also helps me to process this information. For example, physical activity helps. Doing any form of art also helps me. It is not necessary that what I do must help the other person. That other person may have other interests which she/he can practice.

ASilentObserver OP September 4th

@Admirablerainbow2825 It seems like you find journaling, gratitude, and  and art to be helpful in managing difficult emotions. How do these practices help you feel?

Admirablerainbow2825 September 4th

It helps me feel relaxed and calm. It also makes me feel happy. It makes me feel much better about myself because I have accomplished something. It reminds me of my strengths. That I am capable of doing things.

ASilentObserver OP September 9th

@Admirablerainbow2825 very cool.  So it increases your self-esteem. And it also makes you feel more comfortable with yourself. it is great rainbow. please keep taking your small steps and know you have all of us here for you as well 

patientTree4231 September 4th

I cope by distracting myself; normally through chat rooms in social media apps or singing but the chatting part wasn’t very productive though singing my heart away made my feel so much better all the time.

these days though , my hands are full with a baby (5 months) so she needs my attention and she’s a wonderful distraction from the problems in my marriage.

I also enjoy diy in the past, playing with skincare and makeup (I need to do this soon cos it’s a wonderful pick me up) , totally submerging myself into a Netflix drama seasons watching back to back episodes (though there’s nothing nice on nowadays).

ASilentObserver OP September 9th

@patientTree4231 thank you for sharing tree, i am glad you have found some ways to cope with the stress of your marriage difficulties. Distracting yourself can provide temporary relief. How do you think addressing these issues might impact your life if you chose to stay in the marriage?

patientTree4231 September 9th

Issues have been addressed but the solution isn’t favourable to him ; still there is nothing I can do about it. We just co-exist for the sake of our newborn. Being civil most times and even friendly on the rare occasions. Oh we both know how to act and do create a great drama of being “happy” together in the midst of friends who suddenly turn up at our home lol. Thankfully there is no need to act daily cos our family and neighbours are aware of the full situation.

ASilentObserver OP September 11th

@patientTree4231 It seems like addressing the issues has led to a sense of resignation rather than resolution. It feels like maintaining a facade of happiness is exhausting, especially when those around you are unaware of the reality of your situation. It is a lot to navigate tree, 

Sallyne September 9th

I go out. Sometimes I spend money (ok most of the time) but that also gives me the initiative to work cause if I didn’t go out I wouldn’t wanna work 🥲 I get to meet so many new people and have lots of conversations as well. Everything accept for the bit of money spending I consider healthy :)

ASilentObserver OP September 11th

@Sallyne It seems like going out helps you socialize and find motivation to work. Spending some money is a trade-off you're willing to make for these benefits. What do you enjoy most about meeting new people and having conversations?