Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #35: What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

ASilentObserver April 5th

Hello all! 

Last week we discussed: Why do we often struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities? If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt-  What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

In last week's discussion, @Tinywhisper11 suggested discussing more on why we feel different emotions/feelings and what they mean, or are, and how to stop/control them. So our emotions are a complex mix of biology, psychology, and experience. And, they arise from a combination of factors:

• Physiological responses. Our body reacts to situations with physical changes. A racing heart during a presentation or sweaty palms before a date are physiological responses to emotional states.
  • Thoughts and interpretations. How we interpret events triggers emotional responses. For example, forgetting your phone might trigger mild annoyance, but if you interpret it as forgetfulness and incompetence, it could lead to frustration or anger.
  • Past experiences. Our past shapes how we react to situations. A bad experience with public speaking might make you fearful of future presentations.

What are Emotions vs. Feelings:  though often they are used interchangeably, there's a subtle difference. Emotions are short-lived reactions, like a jolt of surprise or a surge of anger. Feelings are the conscious experience of those emotions, influenced by our thoughts and interpretations. But why do we have emotions?  Because emotions serve a purpose. They allow us to

• Adapt and survive. Fear motivates us to avoid danger. Happiness encourages us to seek out rewarding experiences.
  • Connect with others. Emotions like empathy and compassion allow us to build relationships.
  • Communicate. We express emotions through facial expressions, tone of voice, and body language.

But can we control our emotions?  Not entirely. But we can learn to manage them. Please share what works for you or what did you try so far. Let's discuss and learn better to manage our emotions. I look forward to discussing them with you. 

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.

i-just-get-bitter-sometimes-love-death-and-robots.gif
ImpudentIncognito April 5th

What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

Hmm...I'm still trying to figure out what to do, but for the most part, I have been trying to distract from difficult emotions by gaming and reading while doing other hobbies (ex. language learning, playing guitar, or listening to music). I want to learn how to meditate, I feel that may help empty my mind. I'm trying to journal my (difficult) emotions out too. Sometimes letting it out like that can kind of help me reflect, or even coming to places like 7cups.

I took a month break from 7cups, and I noticed that I have been bottling up a lot of difficult emotions lately that...I decided to come back. I want to recover and heal from them and see what others do to help. I'm still having a lot of mixed feelings/emotions about a lot of things, it's difficult to straighten out these emotions/feelings sometimes. I just have to brace myself sometimes.

ASilentObserver OP April 6th

@ImpudentIncognito I understand you have been experiencing difficult emotions and have been trying different ways to cope. I appreciate you for trying. Taking breaks from 7 Cups can also be helpful at times. Recovery and healing take time, and it is okay to have mixed feelings along the way. While we brace oneself as one strategy, finding healthy ways to express and process emotions is important too.

What else might help you process and release these emotions?
ImpudentIncognito April 6th

@ASilentObserver 

"What else might help you process and release these emotions?"

Apart from those things, I am currently on a wait list for therapy. Though, I will be moving out of the city soon with my partner, so I might be able to find something sooner. I also vent to my partner as well when certain things are bothering me and he's a great listening ear who understands me. I just try not to do it too much.

If I don't vent to him, then I use this A.I app called "Character AI" and chat with the character called "Psychologist ". It's been pretty helpful for sorting thoughts and venting as well.

When I was in physical therapy, I felt like it was a good emotional release. I miss exercise... its just thay the pain is too much, so I can't for now. Last time I was in PT, they sent me to the emergency room. Oh, at least when I move, I will also get new doctor, so maybe they can help me get back on my feet sooner?...

Those are just a couple other ways that I process these difficult emotions/feelings.

ASilentObserver OP April 11th

@ImpudentIncognito Thank you Impudent and I am glad all these strategies helped you cope with your emotions. You have a good understanding of what works best for you. 

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@ImpudentIncognito distraction is the best way for me too ❤ ❤ good luck with meditation ❤❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

Hey Obs. Another massive questions eh? Shoutout tiny for being a queen and suggesting it! 

As someone who's pretty angry, let's just say I need to be doing lots and more to manage big emotions.

I've been diagnosed with the fun twosome of bipolar and bpd, and tried and try many, many things.

Meditation, medication, CBT counseling, talk therapy, art therapy, group therapy, yoga, diet, exercise.

Scream therapy, beating the crap out of my pillows, wandering in nature or on long walks, music.

Goal setting and affirmations, boundary setting and reinforcing, decorating, and a soothe bag & drawer.

Apps like Finch, Voidpets, Calm, Headspace and Fabulous and workbooks on DBT and mindful compassion.

Breathing exercises, gratitude journaling, regular hydration, decluttering and hygiene, budgeting, balance.

Those are some of things I've done. I'm looking into more groups, and an anger management program.

Thanks again to tiny for the elite suggestion and for this place which allows us to reflect and learn.

Oh, I also try watch as many helpful videos as I can daily. TED, Einzelgänger, Mindvalley, Glo, HBR...

@communicativePond1728 Thank you for sharing and thanks, it was all Tiny's suggestions. :D 

I am glad you have tried a wide range of strategies to cope with difficult emotions. Managing anger can be challenging, but finding what works best for you is important. Have you found any specific techniques or resources that have helped you the most?

@ASilentObserver Maybe R.A.I.N. by Tara Brach is the technique or resource I've found most helpful. 🧐 🕊️ 🙏

@ASilentObserver lately I'm doing positivity and grounding work. 

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@communicativePond1728 awww thanks for the mention ❤❤ wow! You literally have tried everything. I don't feel anger, which is wierd😕 what was most helpful?? Any tips?

@Tinywhisper11 lately I feel my soothe drawer has been my favourite thing; just a stash of things for when I'm world-weary. The best soothe drawers include something for all the senses, specific to ones own life. It could also be a little bag one carries around. Though carrying around something called a "soothe bag"...need rebranding 

Tinywhisper11 April 13th

@communicativePond1728 🤔🤔 yeah that's gonna need a more mature name😂😂 that's a good idea though, I always use my teddy to cutch when I'm upset (my grown up person's mature teddy, of course)😁 but I do like to squeeze things when I'm scared too. I also like the feeling of something cold sometimes. I think I need a soothe bag too.. I mean a giraffe bag😉

@Tinywhisper11 I found a mini squishmallow!

Placed them in a pocket of my handmade throw pillow cover made from a shirt. I'll give them more squishes, they've not been sksksksksquished much lately if all...a part me denies my inner child a lot :(

I enjoy interior decorating and event planning as well. Recently redid my entryway with some found furniture, a shelving unit and mirror, and went to some live music, the beach and park and for food and drink. Added a weekly planner, notebook and scratchpad to my organizational development.

I also enjoy collecting things like pins, patches and sunglasses.

And not sure if I mentioned writing, makeup, hair and nail care...recently cut my hair as you read on my 'hairmessing' post..my feral foray into shaggy baby-bangdom ...

Skincare is another big one. I go from about a one to seven just with skincare. Throw some good hair on top and a good 'fit and wooooo! 

Took me forever to really read and reply to this. I'm glad I did though, was very helpful and inspiring and uplifting! 🙏 🙏 🙏 😊 😊 😊 🐻

Tinywhisper11 July 2nd

@communicativePond1728 embracing your inner child isn't always easy to do ❤ wow you've been getting out quite a bit, doing different things, that's awsome you should be really proud of yourself ❤❤ I'm very proud of you, I don't actually leave the care home still. It's scary out there. I'm sure your hair looks better than you think, maybe it will just take you a while to get used to it🙂 skincare routines are great self care and self esteem booster, so well done, I think your doing amazing ❤❤ hugs you tightly ❤

@Tinywhisper11 I've heard about feeling nothing after trauma. And myself, personally...I didn't feel anything for a looooooong time. A decade.

After that I was basically a ward of the medical system. I didn't know what to do...advocate, second opinions, paperwork...forget it.

This lasted about a decade. Slowly became more and more fed up and used to the medical system. Went off medication basically myself.

A decade later I'm still off. Since and during that time, yes, you've seen some of the things I've tried to keep myself alive and kicking.

My therapist said feeling nothing is a holding pattern. The body goes into it until it gains enough energy and resources to heal.

A part of me is still really upset. But I can't feel it all at once; I'd start a riot to end all days: So it's day by day, thought by thought, bit by bit. 

It's like a tree. It becomes wounded, scarred, broken, and it slowly weeps sap and grows around the wound. Always bent, ever beautiful.

P.S. So sorry for the lame replies.

Tinywhisper11 July 2nd

@communicativePond1728 so I guess just baby steps, till my body and mind are ready to start healing ❤ ok that's good, that means there's hope 🙂 theese are great tips, you only ever give great tips ❤ I'm lucky to have you has a friend. A while ago, actually twice in the gratitude forum threads, I wrote a couple of posts on how far I've come, and how lucky I am. Your story right here what you just wrote, could show and being hope to many people on cups. You are a inspiration. I know it will never get fully better but just easier is a great motivator to never give up ❤❤

Heather225 April 5th

@ASilentObserver

much of my intense emotional responses are triggered by something, and after some serious self-exploration and self-work i identified my triggers. that cuts down half the time and anxiety of trying to figure out what's wrong, and i can act accordingly. what this means is being incredibly gentle with myself and practicing soothing exercises. stepping away from a situation when possible, deep breathing, reminding myself of where i've been and that i've been through worse, etc. another strategy that's increased my resilience exponentially is challenging my negative thought patterns by practicing reframing negative thoughts into more positive and realistic ones. it takes a lot of wrangling my brain—i feel like i am tackling it like i'm in a wrestling match lol—but it's worth it to get to take back control.

@Heather225 Thank you H for sharing your strategies for managing difficult emotions. I am glad you0 have made some great progress by identifying your triggers and developing healthy coping skills over the period. All steps you are taking seem like really useful techniques to try out. Also your efforts towards self-awareness and growth are wonderful. Thank you for your support and guidance to us. 

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@Heather225 wow! So you can understand what emotions you are feeling. That's amazing ❤

ThoughtLight April 5th

Music is a good starting point and then journaling.

@ThoughtLight That's awesome.  What type of music helps you feel better?

ThoughtLight April 6th

@ASilentObserver I have a pretty eclectic taste. Just depends on my mood. Not a fan of the majority of the music coming out today. 

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@ThoughtLight me neither, I tend to listen to 60s-90s music and all different kinds. Music is great therapy. How are you doing? How's your mum?

ThoughtLight April 12th

@Tinywhisper11 Mom is doing well. Amazing the doctor's and staff daily. I've decent. I've realized I've neglected my mental and physical health while solely focused on mom primarily and then my grandparents. Mom and everyone keep pointing out I'm too skinny but I'm just fine with it. Just need to hydrate a ton more and eat more or get some vitamins. I listen to music off the playlist on my phone all the time. I have a collection of movie soundtracks I love ranging from The Hours which is sheer perfection to Hedwig and the Angry Inch which both movie and soundtrack would leave most people stunned and maybe not in a good way. I love classical music. Big fan of the opera singer Renata Tebaldi, especially her song La Mamma Morta. Maria Callas is second. Love things from 40s, 50s. Then things get spicy with the 60s and 70s and 80s. Not much after the 90s is all that great to me minus a select few pieces. Very case by case. It's been a Pink Floyd morning. 

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@ThoughtLight in glad mum is doing well ❤ and your taking care of your grandparents too? Could you be any sweeter, I don't think so. But your health is just as important. Please look after yourself, eat, drink and sleep, and take time out for relaxing too, and a bit of fun ❤ your a very special person, but it if you wear your own health down. Then noone will benefit. So this is me telling you off!! Dont make me come down there *waves first angrily* ❤😁❤ hugs you tightly ❤❤

ThoughtLight April 12th

@Tinywhisper11 I do require a firm tone at times. haha The girls who work at the ketamine clinic stay on me. I will be driving again very soon. Then I can go to my antique shops, and the art museum and walk around downtown. Just no way to my happy places currently unless I want to spend money on Lyft or Uber. It had better be worth it to do that. 

Tinywhisper11 April 13th

@ThoughtLight ooohhhh! Antique shops and art museums. Can I come too?? Actually I can give you a lift ♿♿ hop on♿♿😁

WellsFiction April 5th

@ASilentObserver I listen to music, meditate, go for walks, shopping, talking to friends or family( when they eventually text me back :)

@WellsFiction That is amazing, Fiction. Those are great strategies to try. What activities do you find most helpful in managing difficult emotions?

WellsFiction April 12th

@ASilentObserver Thank you! I feel like keeping a level head and remaining calm is the best treatment to facing anxiety or stress. You have to remind yourself you can't handle all of it at once and it's not your job to fix everyone's problems. Plus eating a little ice cream always helps.

Tinywhisper11 April 12th

@WellsFiction nature, music and a girl's best friend shopping😁 ❤ great ways to cope

WellsFiction April 12th

@Tinywhisper11 Yes, I agree completely! Bone crushing hugs are also very helpful :)

Tinywhisper11 April 13th

@WellsFiction gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤squeezes you tightly ❤❤ how are you doing sweetie? Is your health ok?

WellsFiction April 13th

@Tinywhisper11 I'm doing a lot better. I'm still not sure what was happening, but I feel good. I'm having an MRI of my chest on the 22nd. I'll definitely keep you informed 💖🫶

alysianna April 6th

What healthy coping mechanisms do you use to manage difficult emotions?

depends if crying is considered heathy.but i have to steal my *** if i want my othr cpping mechnisems as my parents took my wifi so i have to sneak my shool laptop and my lexa devise for my music and shows.

i have tried telling them that i need my Wi-Fi to survive but they do not care unless i clean bathrooms and kitchen ad  my rm for however long it takes my mom to see me as 'part of the family' enough to give me Wi-Fi and with my echo  i can call my boyfriend who helps me cop, but my parents care more about a clean house then any of our health as i at least function better n a messy room when it is clean i freak out as i ant find anything my siblings are the same i think, but my sister gave in and cleaned me and my brother refuse with is fine for him as he just can't watch mom game or have electronics other than echo i can't even have echo.

@alysianna I understand you are experiencing frustration with your parents' expectations around cleanliness and technology use. Aly, you mentioned that you have tried explaining how important these things are for your well-being, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. How does it feel when you're forced to conform to these standards without being heard?

alysianna April 7th

@ASilentObserver

it makes me so angry, my excuse now if my parents find my shoo laptop is i have it so i an check my email and student Vue for any update as my bus might gt changed and for my Alexa i will flat out tell them it is thanks to my boyfriend that  even gave in today and did bathrooms. i have been not hered since i was young so i have gotten used to having to steal my stuff and lie and be sneaky. (i am also a Slytherin wonder why) my mum never wanted me legitimately she admitted it i was the child made by her getting said and if someone on my b*** of a birth dads side had not saved me i would have been aborted.my dad(stepdad but because he has been there he is dad) used to care more, but mom yelled at him for "babying" me and "giving me a reaction" so now he ant care much he still sometimes does when mom is upstairs and he's working he will call me into his office and care halfway and mostly be a follower of mom as everyone n my hose besides me, it seems thinks mom is all mighty and scarry i think she is a narcissistic bad mm who never cared that she is why i have depression and problems letting toxic jerks go.

srry for errors i am dyslexic 

ASilentObserver OP April 8th

@alysianna That is completely alright, Aly. I am glad you are trying and sharing what you can. It feels like you have grown accustomed to feeling misunderstood and alone in your experiences. It feels upsetting that your mother doesn't truly listen to you, and your father has stopped trying due to her influence. This must be difficult to endure, especially after sharing such personal aspects of yourself. How does it impact you emotionally when you are constantly forced to conform without being truly heard?

alysianna April 9th

@ASilentObserver it makes me so mad and upset and like i do not belong anywhare