Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One Sided Friendship?

cloverisconfused December 28th, 2023

Hi! This is my first post here. I hope everyone who reads this is having a wonderful day, and if you're not I'm sending virtual hugs <3. I was just hoping to make a thread where I can vent a little about a friendship problem I'm having and maybe come back and update later. Advice/comments are welcome if you have them, but please be gentle :) 

Ok, here we go. First off, here's some background for context. I honestly only have a couple of friends who stayed in contact after high school. I commute a fair distance to my university every day, so although I've made some very casual friends there, it's been hard to foster anything more than that. My job is one that is mostly executed alone, but there are coworkers who I am friendly with. But really, it's just the three or so friends from high school that I feel close to. One of the main ones was a friend I'll call Alice for the purpose of this thread.

Alice and I have been friends for nearly 8 years now. For the most part, I really enjoy our friendship. We have similar interests that I don't share in common with almost anyone else, and we've got a lot of common history to bond over. She shares things with me about her life that (according to her) she doesn't share with anyone else besides her therapist. I'm so glad she feels safe enough around me to do that.

But the thing is that for a long time, especially these last couple of years, I've really been feeling like the friendship is one sided. She always vents to me, but there's only been a handful of times where she's given me a chance to vent to her. I'm almost always the one to initiate contact or to try to arrange time to spend together, or to remember birthdays and things like that. Because of that, I feel like an afterthought in her life. I was really lonely, and it felt like I wasn't getting any support or acknowledgement from her.

The final straw for me to fully realize why I wasn't happy was honestly really small. I sent Alice a text asking how she was, nothing else, and I didn't get a single response for almost a week. When she finally did text me, she completely ignored my previous text and just boasted about a small victory in her life. Don't get me wrong, I was happy for her. But I felt unimportant. And after she finished being excited over the thing in her life, she stopped texting. It feels petty to care about, but she didn't even ask how I was doing.

I was so tired. I spent senior year of high school feeling incredibly lonely but doing my best to cater to her needs at the time because she was going through a rough patch. Unfortunately that included leaving her alone to sit in the band room with a bunch of her other friends because hanging out with me and the rest of our friend group was "too exhausting". I didn't want to be selfish and petty, but I was and am still just tired of it all.

So, I figured I'd stop contacting her. I'd let her come to me so I could take off that mental weight. I told myself that if she wanted to talk to me, she would. But almost three weeks and I still hadn't heard from her at all. It's like she forgot about me. But with Christmas coming up, and the fact that I would honestly feel terrible if I ignored her on the holiday instead of sending at least a "Merry Christmas", I did just that. Early Christmas morning, I sent her a "Merry Christmas".... and nothing. So late that night, I gave in and I asked if she was okay since I still hadn't heard from her.

She did eventually get back to me with the excuse that she'd been "so distracted by family she forgot to even look at her messages". Honestly, I would get it. I don't blame her if that's honestly what it was. But this is a pretty regular thing, and I had seen her like things on social media during that time anyways, so I know she at least had access to her phone and the time to scroll. Just apparently not to respond to me after three weeks of nothing. 

But her response didn't do much for my resolve to let her come to me, and I kept the conversation going for a few texts (aka me asking how she was and how her Christmas was, her giving a vague "mostly good", me asking if she wanted to talk about it, her responding "eh it's all good", me saying something along the lines of "i hope it gets better", and then nothing). 

I've been chatting with listeners here and I finally mustered up the courage to decide that the next time we spend time together, I'm going to confront her about it. I'm going to tell her how I've been feeling, and I'm going to tell her that unless things change, she can't expect me to keep putting effort into this friendship. 

I've made the decision to do that, but I just feel so insecure about it. I'm worried I'm blowing all of this out of proportion. I'm sure that this entire post has been biased towards my side of things, so I'm worried that even if people who read this end up supporting me, it'll be wrong and it'll be my fault. I'm worried I'm just being a baby about this and what I really should do is man up and stop being weak. I'm worried it's all a skewed perception on my part because I honestly do have bad self-esteem. What if because I'm so anxious, I'm overthinking everything and in reality she's doing nothing wrong? Plus, this is a friendship. Is it normal to get so fired up over a friendship? Is there something wrong with me?

I just don't know what's right anymore. I feel stupid, weak, and clingy. I've made the decision to talk it out but since I can't actually see her until after the new year due to personal circumstances, I have to wait for a while. I'm fairly sure I'm going to chicken out in that time. 

That's partly why I'm making this thread. I hope there will be people who will take the time to read this long and exhausting post to tell me what they think is really going on, and to keep me motivated. If you've read this far, thank you. I'd very much appreciate if you could let me keep you updated, but I understand if you don't want to do that. Thanks again for listening to me rant, and I hope you have a wonderful day <3

Adam10999 December 29th, 2023

@cloverisconfused

I just accidentally deleted my entire response... the pain is real, but it's worth the retype.

Anywho...
I'm here because I had a confrontation with my Alice 2 days ago, and have since decided to take a break from everything and work on fixing my issues. I've only known my Alice for about 8 months, and I only lasted a week before messaging her back, which is when I had my awakening.

Some background of what my situation was; I would send gm/gn messages with the occasional "I hope you're doing okay". I never needed a reply from any of the messages, they were just to let them know I'm still alive, I care about them, and maybe make their day a bit better. Besides my Alice, I asked three of my other best friends (who I've known for 2 years, 8 months, and 2 months) and they said they were okay with it since they knew they weren't obligated to reply, and that it was just meant platonically; they pointed out though, that everyone might not see it that way, which validated my overthinking and why I was asking.

Well after about 5 days of no responses from my Alice and a bunch of overthinking that she suddenly hated me, I decided to see if everything was okay between us. Still nothing for another couple days, so I sent a short "are we okay" message. Now this is partially her fault because she chose not to tell me it bothered her, but my Alice then responded by telling me that it was pushy and annoying, and that it's something to say to your partner or family, not a friend.

I then did what I thought was right and apologized, and I've now stepped away and taken a break from communication with all my friends, so that I can work on myself and figure out how to be less emotionally reliant on my friends. Which on the one hand feels like I won't have very strong connections with my friends; but on the other hand, it means I won't make anyone I care about upset from this again, and overall that's what I want.

I also had some jealousy issues with my Alice, seeing her listening to music with someone all day for several days in a row. It brought up some nasty feelings of wanting to spend that much time with someone I cared about.

I did some self reflection and came to the conclusion that I don't really know how to be myself or happy without depending on one or more of my best friends. I decided to write down how I would like to treat others, how I would like to treat myself, what my flaws were, and what I wanted to focus on and take care of first. Turns out I treat others mostly how I would like to, giving them their space and relying on them for happiness are what I struggle with and need to work on. I treat myself almost the exact opposite of how I would like to, I overthink about every little thing and always get sad when I stop hanging out with my friends. Therefore, I have a lot I need to work on before I can comfortably feel ready to reconnect with my current best friends; I just hope I can figure all this stuff out before they forget about me.

Thanks for listening to/reading my rant about my situation. I actually would like to stay updated on how your situation and journey goes. I think something that helps you might also be beneficial to myself.

cloverisconfused OP December 30th, 2023

@Adam10999 oh the painnnn... I salute you for doing the hard work of retyping all of that

I'm sorry you've got your own Alice. I agree with you, I think it was partially her fault for letting it go on for so long without saying anything. I know people talk a lot about how we should all work on interpreting nonvocal social cues, and I know that it is important for a lot of things, but I think people don't communicate enough in general. It's unfair to expect anyone else to just know anything unless you tell them, so I definitely see where you're coming from. 

I'm proud of you for apologizing and taking that step away. It's really hard to do, especially if you're doing it from all your friends. I'm not sure if I could do that for long. I think you're right - it is really scary to try to be less emotionally reliant on other people. Good job taking that first step :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with jealousy issues. It feels shameful to talk about sometimes because jealousy is such a frowned upon emotion socially. To be honest, I've also been jealous with my Alice. After we graduated high school, she switched jobs and made a new friend there, one that she now spends more time with than she does with me. Funnily enough, that new friend and I are pretty similar personality-wise, although I think she's a bit milder and soft-spoken than me. I used to be more like that, but due to some family situations I was forced to learn to assert and enforce more boundaries. I think that's a good thing, but it was weird to see her become friends with someone that not only is similar to me, but is even more similar to the me I used to be. It made me feel like I was being replaced, like I'd become outdated and was no longer filling Alice's needs. 

After some of my own self-reflection, I'm sorry to say i think we're in the same boat. Overthinking everything you do, people-pleasing unconsciously, etc. It really is hard to appreciate yourself and your own company. After all, even if it's not true (because it isn't), it feels like you can't be worth much if no one else can appreciate your worth, doesn't it? Like before, I'm really proud of you. It feels weird to say to a stranger on the internet, but I am. It takes a lot of courage to really look at yourself and admit whatever it is you see.

Thank you for listening to me first - I really appreciate it. Just as I predicted, I was starting to lose motivation to have that conversation with my friend, but this helped a little. I wish you good luck in working on yourself - please keep me updated, I would love to hear how things go for you <3 I'll keep you updated too, especially if I come across anything that helps with all of this

Adam10999 December 30th, 2023

@cloverisconfused

I really apologize for how long this response is! Learning how to not overexplain is something else I need to work on too. I agree though, it does feel kind of weird to say you're proud of a stranger, but it's also nice to hear and know that it's genuine, so I really appreciate that!
I know it's only been about a day, but I wanted to take a second look at your situation and see if there was any advice/comments I could provide from what I've done for myself thus far - especially since taking those first steps can be one of the hardest part of all this.

I first want to start off with a few things I missed the first time.
I also attend college full time and my commute is over an hour one-way. Hopefully this next semester I can get my schedule to only 3 days a week - fuel is expensive! Closer housing is far more expensive though.
I'm in the same boat as you with finding it difficult to make friends, and although I am not currently working, I am hoping to get a part time position on campus or nearby, so I'm hoping that will help me with actually making some friends this semester.
Having your friends express that they trust you is something very special. I personally don't tell anyone online my real name, location (apart from the state), or what I look like, so I feel very honored if/when my best friends share that stuff with me, along with what they only trust with a few close people. I think it shows that they really care and see longevity in your connection, which is really sweet.
I share your feeling of being an afterthought too. It sucks when it feels like they don't care enough to even talk to you, especially considering it takes mere seconds to send a simple "hi" or "hope you're doing well" to give you that reassurance that they are thinking about you and they care. I would get bursts of depression where I would stop initiating contact with my friends, and I wouldn't receive anything for several days. I would then be feeling a bit better, and send out messages apologizing for not reaching out. It definitely took it's toll on me emotionally. My friends and I would occasionally have actual conversations and play video games together (sometimes for the entire day, which I absolutely loved), but it would always be fleeting. Friendships are definitely supposed to have effort from both people, so I don't think it's selfish or petty to want her to put in effort.
I definitely agree with you wanting to talk with her upon your next meeting, and I'm proud of you for making that difficult decision and sticking to it! I genuinely think it'll be great to not only put it out in the open, but also hopefully get some closure on whether or not she wants to preserve your friendship.
Your worries are valid; overthinking and poor self-esteem can definitely play a big role in skewing situations, but in your case I can say with confidence that I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You've given her plenty of time and space to respond and work through anything she may be going through, and you've absolutely put in your share of effort into the friendship.
If I know anything about 'manning up', it's similar to bottling up your emotions which is never good. Now I can't blame you for considering that, I've have plenty of occasions where I get too anxious or upset at myself and just want to bury all my emotions and press on. Without dealing with your emotions head on though, they're bound to resurface and put you back at square one.
8 years is a really long friendship, almost akin to a family relationship at that point, so I think getting this fired up just goes to show how much you care for your friendship, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, or with you for that matter! Your feelings of being stupid, weak, and clingy are all things I'm struggling with as well, but I think you've already shown that you are none of those things <3
You're working on your bachelor's degree and know a lot about your emotions and how you're feeling, so I'm sure you're very smart; you had the courage to talk about your feelings and make the decision to talk with your friend, so that shows you're very strong; and you weren't constantly checking up on her or demanding anything, so you're definitely not clingy. I also get being passive to prevent potential conflict, but I do hope you'll have that conversation with her and get this resolved; for the well being of both you and your friend.

Replying back to you now, and thank you for listening to mine as well, I really appreciate it.
I really wish I would have realized that what I was doing wasn't really appropriate for a friendship, and had stopped sending gm/gn messages before all this happened, but you can't go back and change the beginning, you can only start where you are and change the ending. My problem is that even though my other 3 friends said they were cool with it, I still realize that it wasn't okay, and that I'd rather just send the occasional message that gets a reply, than constantly be sending messages and risk repeating my situation with them too. Overall my friends mean a great deal to me, and I really want to make sure I'm doing right by them.
Overthinking can be good because it helps you hyper-analyze stuff like that and see things from a bunch of different perspectives, but it also makes you question every decision you've ever made along with how other people might be feeling. It can make situations really confusing and skyrocket your anxiety. That combined with the scariness of reducing the emotional attachment I have with my friends, leads me to think that my friendships won't be as meaningful since I'll be giving people their space and spending less time together, but I also don't want to risk being too clingy again.
Learning to assert boundaries, it's not an easy to do, and something I need to work on myself. Feeling like you are being replaced or that you aren't good enough is a tough struggle too; above all else though, you need to make the decisions that are best for you, even if that means letting that friendship go and maybe seeking a more nurturing one where you feel respected and valued.
The song artist NF has a line in one of his songs, "if you don't even believe in you, why would you think or expect anybody else that's around you to" (Hope - NF) and my overthinking has used this on multiple occasions as reinforcement for my thoughts of self-displeasure and low self-esteem. I think it works the other way around too, like what you said, where if you feel that others don't like you, it can be hard to like yourself.
I do really appreciate your kind words of encouragement, it really does help, thank you! And I'm very proud of you for everything you've done so far too!

Last but not least, the stuff I've done so far to work on myself. Sorry this is so much reading haha!
One of my friends said that she did some self-reimagining, and ended up making a list of how she truly wanted to treat others, another of how she wanted to treat herself, and another of what her flaws were and some actions she could take towards improvement. I did that along with using generative ai as a sort of chat bot to help work through some possible actions and further insight into my flaws.
I do absolutely have to recommend this mental health podcast on Spotify called Let's Talk About Mental Health by Jeremy Godwin. I would even maybe encourage getting a friend to start listening too, and have the two of you talk about each/certain episodes together and share your thoughts about it. That's what a friend of mine and I started doing, but then school got too hectic and we didn't make it past the first couple episodes. If you would like, I would be open to going through them with you if you also think it could be beneficial to us both, but I'll leave the decision completely up to you.
I've also used my skills of "putting myself in other people's shoes" to help me get a jump start of feeling a bit better. I can sort of take all my emotions and values, set them aside, and make up essentially a whole new perspective (usually based on someone else) to see things pretty well from their point of view. Now, knowing how I want to treat others and myself, and what I want to work on and change; I have come up with a sort of alternate persona that encompasses those ideas while still holding onto who I am. It's given me a quick taste of what I'm looking for my life to be like, and although some of my previous concerns, about my friendships being less meaningful, still linger - I think I do actually like who I want to become, and I think the new me will be quite beneficial both to myself and others.

Thank You again for listening to me <3 I look forward to us both overcoming our struggles! We got this!
cloverisconfused OP December 31st, 2023

@Adam10999 No worries, it looks like overexplaining is another thing we have in common lol. I don't mind reading a long reply, so don't worry about it :) Mine will probably be long as well, so I apologize in advance.

I appreciate you taking another look and offering more advice/comments! Just one reply was already very helpful, so thank you for putting in the time and effort for another :)

Oh, boy, that is a lot of gas, and a lot of money. I'm very fortunate in that my university offers a free pass for my state's public transportation system, so even though it doubles my commute time plus some (😭) it takes a lot of pressure off of my finances. I really hope you can get your schedule down to 3 days a week! 

I fully agree with you on trust in friendships. I think its so important - after all, friends are there to help each other through their darkest times and be a cheerleader, so if you can't trust them the relationship can feel a little pointless. For me personally, I also really need to know my friends trust me. If they don't trust me, I worry a lot about why that might be, and I tend to spiral. I really hope you can find a job soon and make some new friends. A fresh start can be exactly what you need sometimes. Good luck! 

And yeah, being an afterthought does suck. I don't always need an entire conversation or anything, but like you said, I just need to know I'm being thought of and cared for. For me, my close friendships are such a crucial part of my life that I don't go a day without thinking about them. I find myself wishing that would go both ways, only to be disappointed a lot of the time.

I also go through a bit of a cycle of depression. I generally have about two-ish weeks where I'm okay, and then a similar amount of time where I'm very suddenly extremely lonely and depressed. I start out that low point by contacting all of my friends in an effort to stave off the loneliness, but when they inevitably don't respond or the little interaction I do get doesn't live up to my lofty expectations afterwards, I tend to become a bit of a hermit. All I want to do is be alone, preferably while wasting time being anything but productive. It's very strange, especially considering I usually start feeling okay again after a week or two, so I'm glad I'm not going crazy on my own with this. 

As for talking to my friend, thank you for saying that! I really appreciate it. I just hope I can stick to my decision this time. Wish me luck haha

I really appreciate you saying that you don't think I've done anything wrong. It's so validating to hear, especially considering I've spent so much time worrying about it. My own anxiety and self-esteem are a beast, so I imagine I'll worry more, but I know it'll be extremely helpful to be able to refer back to this and remind myself. 

I also needed to hear that about "manning up". I do tend to bottle up my emotions quite a bit - I always have, unfortunately. I've been trying these past few years to let myself be more open, and I've gotten better, but lately I've been reverting back to some older coping mechanisms. I'm still not sure why, but I'm working on figuring that out. I'm sorry you have the same tendency to bury your emotions. It's extremely taxing - mentally, emotionally, and physically. I hope you can take your own advice and keep doing your best to be open with your feelings. Whatever they are, you have a right and responsibility to yourself and others to feel them and communicate them in a healthy way. I believe in you! 

And thank you again! I'm sure I sound like a broken record by now, but I really am just grateful for the validation. I'm sorry you've been feeling stupid, weak, and clingy as well - I think we both know it's no fun at all. But from what you've shown me I think I can also say with confidence you are not those things either. You've already shown you have the courage to have difficult conversations with the people you care about, and I admire that quality - it's hard to come by. You've been able to give them space as well, so you're not clingy. And I know you're also very intelligent as well. Not only intellectually, as is evidenced by the fact that you're also studying for your bachelor's in a difficult field, which is very impressive, but emotionally so, which you've shown you have in spades during our limited conversation. From what I've seen, you are very kind and empathetic towards others, but you're hard on yourself. I hope you can look at yourself with the same kindness and understanding that you do other people, because you do deserve it. 

I think having regrets is totally understandable. I regret my mistakes as well, especially those I made towards my friends. i admire that you recognize what's done is done. That said, I know that knowing something is very different from really feeling it and appreciating it. I hope you can start to understand emotionally that it's okay to have made mistakes or wish you did things differently, and it doesn't make you a bad person or "undo" any of the good you did. Having regrets of your own doesn't excuse the mistakes of others, and as a third party looking at your situation, I can say with confidence that what happened was mostly on your Alice. You sound like a very genuine person who cares a lot about your friends and wants to make sure they know it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If they were uncomfortable they should have said something sooner instead of leaving you to wonder what you did wrong, and that's the end of it. 

And I agree, overthinking is really a double-edged sword. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes is a really important ability. However, it also leaves you vulnerable to falling into the trap of subconsciously believing you know what they might be thinking, good or bad. I fall into that trap quite a bit, and it sounds like you might too. It is really scary, especially when your subconscious highlights all the bad and explains the good away. I'm also dealing with that same fear of the loss of meaning in my friendships that might occur with the loss of contact. I hope we can both remember that not only is that most likely not going to happen, but even if it does, it's just going to be a step in our long journey. We've swung too far one way and we'll probably have to go to the other extreme as well before we find a good balance in our friendships.

I agree. Like I said before, knowing things and feeling them are two different things. I've got the knowing part down - I know I need to do what's best for me. I've just got to work on feeling it. I hope you can too <3

I really relate to that line as well - I've been stuck with similar trains of thought before too, and I'm sorry you've done the same. It really is just a horrible loop of "if they don't like me, how can I, and if I don't like me, how can they?" 

And of course! I appreciate your encouragement too, it really has been very helpful and comforting. I'm proud of you too! I can tell you've already done a lot of hard work on yourself during your life that has paid off, and I wish you luck on continuing that journey. 

And again, no worries about the reading! I'm writing a lot too, and I'm not sure how much sense I'm making, so I'm sorry as well lol! 

That's such a good exercise! I think I'll try doing that when I get the chance. And I'll definitely check out that podcast! I'm not much of a podcast person myself, but I've been trying a few out while looking for things to listen to while I work. So far, I've only really liked SciShow Tangents, so this will be a good one to add to my list. My schedule is kind of crazy and I'm not always able to listen to stuff while I work, but I'd also be open to discussing the episodes when I get a chance to listen to them! 

That's another good exercise. I think being able to look at an alternate, ideal version of yourself and remind yourself of what you want to work towards is a really good asset to have. I'm glad you like who you want to become! I hope you can get closer and closer to that version of you smoothly. 

As for my own self improvement... it's hard to describe in terms of exercises or anything I did on purpose. So far, it's been a chaotic mess of trial and error while I tried things out and did my best to maintain the mindsets/behaviors that felt right. I think something that's been really helpful to me is to try to stop making assumptions that other people are unhappy somehow. I really struggle with worrying about "oh well they said this but what if they just felt like they had to and they really feel this other way about it?". Of course, there are some things that are exceptions, but I mean as a general rule. For example, if I've asked for something I need, and the other person has agreed to it, then my job is to assume they don't have a problem with me. Even if I think that something in their tone of voice, for example, or maybe their body language seems upset. I've done my part to communicate what I need and ask for it respectfully, and they've agreed. If they have a problem or are unhappy with me in any way, it's their responsibility to talk to me about it. It's helped me to set boundaries and enforce them, even if I feel anxious or guilty about it. It's a small thing, and I haven't done as well remembering it lately, but for me it's made a big difference, and a positive one.

Thank you for listening to me too! <3 I believe in us! Good luck with everything and keep me updated! 

Adam10999 December 31st, 2023

@cloverisconfused

No worries, I also don't mind reading long replies :)
It's kind of crazy to think about just how similar our struggles are, and Thank You for all your kind words! I really can't put into words just how appreciative I am of you not only understanding my struggles, but also being so supportive and validating <3 Broken record or not, it's nice to hear every single time!

After making my list of how I wanted to treat others and myself, I realized that I already treat others mostly how I would like to, which is great to know that I've at least been treating others well. Myself on the other hand, like you said; I don't really treat myself with respect and I'm very hard on myself. 'Perfectionist' mentality so to speak, and that's mostly how I don't want to treat myself going forward.
If overthinking was a job, I'd have made millions by now haha, so you're definitely right that I share in your thinking that you know how someone else if feeling.

Your encouragement is very comforting and helpful too, it calms my mind and helps me stay focused on growth. And you certainly have a way with words because everything you've said has made perfect sense, so you definitely don't have any reason to be sorry!
You can definitely feel free to send me a message with whatever episode you listened to and your thoughts and takeaways, and I'll be sure to check out that episode and discuss my thoughts with you as well!

Trial and error is how most things get done, and how most progress is made, so that's definitely a great practice for working through things. To stop making assumptions about other people's feelings, and only go based on what I know to be true and what they express and advocate for themselves, is absolutely something I will try to enforce throughout my improvement and beyond.

I actually really enjoyed listening to what you had to say, so Thank You!
I will continue to wish you nothing but the absolute best of luck with everything you're going through, and with all your plans and ways of improvement <3
cloverisconfused OP January 1st

@Adam10999

It really is crazy, isn't it! Pretty much every time I hear something new from you I find myself going "what? I thought that was just me!" I'm glad I've been a help, even a little bit <3 I worried I was being overbearing or just spewing nonsense over and over again haha. I appreciate your words of support as well! You really are doing a great job at helping me stay motivated and comforted these past few days. Thank you! 

I'm glad you've been able to make that realization! I'm sorry you're hard on yourself. You really do deserve better. I understand that mindset - I've also got some perfectionistic tendencies. Hopefully we can both remember that perfection is impossible, imperfection is good and healthy, and that it applies to us too - even if it doesn't feel like it. That's another thing I know but still have yet to feel. Good luck to you! And I wish overthinking was a job! I'd be anxious but at least I'd be rich haha

Aw thank you! I'm so happy to hear that. I find you give sound advice and it is so comforting to hear someone else in the same boat as me in terms of my struggles. I haven't listened to any episodes yet - I go back to work later this week, so I'll probably listen to one then. I'll be sure to send you a message! 

That's good :) I'm sure you'll do great, just as you have been so far

Thank you! I've enjoyed listening to what you have to say as well. It's comforting and refreshing to talk to someone with such similar struggles. I wish you the best of luck as well, although I'm sure you don't need it! 

P.S. A minor update! I still haven't contacted my Alice since Christmas. I'm planning on wishing her a happy new year (it's still not quite midnight where I am), but other than that there's been nothing. I know it's not very long but it does feel longer than it was. The update is that I haven't been so caught up in my head about the whole situation quite as much. I'm both happy and sad about it. I'm sure it's good for us both in the end, but it does play into those fears we were discussing earlier about losing meaning in my friendships. But, as they say, life goes on! I'll continue to keep you updated :) I look forward to hearing more from you! 

honestFan5149 February 17th

@Adam10999 First of all, welcome to the community! It takes courage to open up about personal struggles, and it's commendable that you're seeking support here. Your feelings are valid, and it's understandable to feel hurt and confused in a friendship that feels one-sided. It's clear you've invested a lot of time and effort into maintaining this relationship, and it's okay to expect reciprocity and support from your friend. It's not selfish to prioritize your own emotional well-being and set boundaries in relationships. Confronting your friend about your feelings is a brave step, and it's important to communicate openly and honestly about your needs and concerns. Remember, you deserve to feel valued and respected in your friendships.

Adam10999 January 1st
@cloverisconfused
I think we've gone too far down the reply chain, cuz it won't let me reply to your most recent message haha

Happy New Year!!
Virtual cheers to our mutual resolution to better ourselves and strive for excellence and stability!

I'm sorry you're still having conflicting feelings, but I do agree with you that we just have to have faith that everything will work out the way it's supposed to. And hey if it ends up causing you more distress, I don't mind at all helping u stay on track and motivated, as well as providing you with some comfort to get you through it <3
cloverisconfused OP January 1st

@Adam10999

oh no haha

Happy New Year! And yes, a hearty virtual cheers to that! 

I appreciate that! I'll probably take you up on that. And the same goes for you! If you ever need motivation/comfort I'd be happy to help! 

Adam10999 January 2nd

@cloverisconfused

I'll probably take you up on that offer too. Feels like I'm moving but not making any progress.

So a little extra information about my situation:
I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing if what I feel towards someone are platonic or romantic. (Only my women friends since I'm a straight guy) But this causes an internal struggle for me and makes me question my own true intentions, like my subconscious has a different agenda than what I want. Which makes me wonder if the reason I've been jealous of her and her new guy friend hanging out so much, is actually because I like her. And that was the reason I sent the follow-up message asking if everything was okay between us, because she hadn't replied to me but had been playing video games and listening to music with this guy for basically the entirety of the previous 3 days and occasionally still does. Not to mention that my Alice is lesbian but does like some guys, and around mid December I felt comfortable enough and when I told her my real name she said she got butterflies. (which I thought was only a romantic thing, so maybe I just got my hopes up or something) And also my nickname in her *** server was "[my username] the only guy Alice loves", but a day or two before sending the follow-up message, around the time she started spending time with her new guy friend, it got changed back to just "[my username]" which just made me overthink even more about me doing something wrong. So I'm either jealous because I wanted to spend a lot of time with her, or because I liked her. Like I said though, the long distance should make me realize that's not something I would want, especially since she's literally on the other side of the continent. 

Some news as an update:
Since I've taken a break from essentially all my friends, so I don't mess up again while trying to fix myself and make everything even worse, I've made myself a list of things I would like to be able to go through successfully before reconnecting with them, and trying to fix things together with my Alice. Some examples, and the main ones for me, are that I want to be able to have no contact with anyone for a week or two without overthinking or feeling alone or abandoned, and I want to be able to not get jealous whenever I see her spending time with that guy, or even seeing that guy in general.

I know you didn't distance yourself from anyone, so this might not help you all that much, but I still wanted to give an update on what's been happening.

Continuing with some other realizations and whatnot - one thing the Noni chat bot suggested, is to imagine playing tug of war with the negative emotions, but the goal is not to beat them and win, but to find a way to drop the rope. That the key to ending the internal fight, is willingness to accept and experience the feelings as an observer, as the thoughts and feelings may be unhelpful or inaccurate in navigating life. To observe the thoughts and feelings as neither good nor bad, and struggling against them leads to more suffering than simply accepting them as they are and moving past them. Simply observing the thoughts helps to create space between the thought and the thinker, and help to realize that they are just something we have and not who we are, that they are not always the complete truth and we do not have to act on them. 

Another update, is that I've started playing this other game by myself, since none of my other friends really liked it or played with me anymore, I thought it would be a good way to accept being by myself just doing my own thing. Well I met a new friend on there, and we've been hanging out a lot over the past few days, which sadly makes me wonder if maybe my other friends just didn't care for me all that much since this new friend actually wants to spend time with me. Like I always thought that best friends were supposed to want to talk to one another at least every other day, and that's the least I wanted from my best friends, but maybe those friendships were more one-sided than I care to admit. I just don't really know because when we would get done hanging out, I would tell them I had a great time and we should do it again soon, and they would express the same level of joy and appreciation, but then it would be quite a while before we would hang out again. It's sort of like a "if they cared about me, they would make time for me" sort of thing.

Anyway, that's about all that's new with me right now. I appreciate you and I hope all is going well!
cloverisconfused OP January 3rd

@Adam10999 I understand that feeling. Like, I'm not exactly stuck, but I just kind of keep bouncing around between different bad mindsets, you know? Like I'm running around a track at the gym and I can go from the free weight section to the treadmills to the machines, but I can't leave the gym. It's a weird metaphor but I can't think of another way to put it right now lol

That sounds really difficult. Questioning your own intentions is very confusing and scary, too. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. That username thing also sounds sucky - if I were you I think I'd feel hurt and also overthink it all. I'm glad you realized that even if you do like her, the long distance is not something you would want.  Unfortunately, I don't have much advice to give about the romantic vs platonic feelings. To be honest, I can hardly remember the last time I had genuine romantic feelings for someone. I'm bisexual myself, but it's been so long since I've really liked someone. Even so, I find myself questioning what other people might think of my intentions. Since I can swing both ways, so to speak, pretty much anyone is technically on the table. I honestly just feel platonic affection for my friends, but part of me is afraid they'll think otherwise. That my affection (which I'll admit can be over the top sometimes, and I need to work on that) has something else behind it - something that would push them away. That's a part of why I'm afraid to talk to my Alice about how I'm feeling. I'm worried she'll think I like her and that it will make her uncomfortable. But if I stress that it's just platonic, it sounds like I'm just trying to cover it up, right? It's all just weird and complicated. 

Good job making the list! I think, for me at least, that can be one of the harder steps to do because I overthink so much about what I really want and how I really feel. I also think those are some good goals to make, and I wish you luck! 

I appreciate the update either way :) Plus, I'm kind of distancing myself from my Alice, so it's helpful. Technically, I could go see her sometime this week, but I find myself putting it off. For one, I'm still in that phase I was telling you about where all I want to do is just be alone and stay at home and watch movies or otherwise distract myself from how I'm feeling. And since my spring semester doesn't start until next week and I'm only working part time, this week might be my last chance for a few months to do really do that. I know it's probably not super healthy, but I'm having a hard time justifying doing anything else these past few days. Right now, my tentative plan is to contact Alice at the end of this week to set up a time to meet. Hopefully then I'll be able to muster up the courage to talk to her. 

I think that's a really good way to put it. I'd heard people describe it as watching cars pass on a road. Your emotions are there, and they are happening, but they're going to keep making their way down that road, away from you. All you have to do is let it happen. If I'm being honest, I have no idea how well I do at that. To keep with the metaphor, I can't tell if I'm still having to work so hard at just observing these feelings because I've caused a roadblock, or if there are just a lot of "negative emotion cars" coming down the road lately. I hope that makes sense haha

I'm proud of you for trying to find something you can do alone and still have fun. I'm also glad you've found a friend that seems as invested as you are, although I totally understand the sadness. To be honest, I have sort of a similar thing going on. I mentioned in my initial post that I only have a couple of friends I'm really close to after high school. One of them is my Alice, and the other is a friend I'll call Sally. (also wow these are the most generic names lol) Sally really is wonderful and to be honest, she's the only friend I can think of who is so invested. I never have to worry about losing contact with her because if anything, she texts me more than I do her. She partly made me realize how little I was getting from all of my other friends, including Alice. I really am so grateful for her, and it's to the point where I kind of feel guilty. I feel so lonely and rejected by my Alice, and I wonder if I'm an Alice to Sally sometimes. I feel like such a hypocrite, and I feel almost greedy because I am lucky enough to have someone like her, but I just still don't feel good yet. It's so frustrating and confusing.

Thank you again for the update! I don't have a whole lot to update right now, because as I said, I've mostly just been at home alone, distracting myself these past few days. I'll let you know when I finally do contact my Alice. I appreciate you too, and I look forward to hearing more from you! 

Adam10999 January 3rd

@cloverisconfused

Exactly, just caught in an endless loop. I like the gym metaphor, it makes a lot of sense.
Glad to know I'm not blowing the username thing totally out of proportion. If I were her I might have justified the change, but that's also just my overexplaining and wanting everything to be super clear so that others don't even have the chance to overthink; which might be a bit much at times. An example of this is when I changed a message to my friend from "yeah yeah" to have an exclamation point at the end, because sometimes "yeah yeah" means "that's nice, don't really care" but "yeah yeah!" means "Wooh! I'm excited for you!" and I wanted to make sure the message properly expressed what I meant.

I absolutely am also over the top in how I compliment my friends, a lot of the time to be honest, but usually it comes up during conversation or when we're hanging out, so it gives more of a friendly/platonic tone. And I think sometimes stressing friendly intentions can seem like a coverup for deeper feelings, but I think that also kind of falls on the other person to not overthink what you're trying to make clear. I agree though, very weird and complicated situations.

I completely agree that it's extremely difficult to figure out who you want to be, what you want to do, how you want to feel, etc. I still don't completely know that myself, I just figure that all future moments will be completely new situations and circumstances; and since I'll never have been in those situations before, I can't expect myself to know exactly what to do or have everything figured out. I think a good thing to remember is that we might not know how to be our very best selves, but we can try to do out best right now. And we might make mistakes or go down the wrong path, but we can take those mistakes and choose to learn and be better - and then when we know better, we can do better. Our mistakes and mishaps can show us ways of improving that we may have never thought of before, and I think that's their true purpose, not to hold us back or tell us we aren't good enough.

I want to reassure you that there is nothing wrong with being in that phase. We can't be expected to fight every battle that comes our way, and a lot of times we just need to take some time to recuperate. There's a reason flight attendants tell you to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others - because you can't help anyone else if you're passed out. I think your plan for the end of the week is great! And again, feel free to reach out if you need anything and I'm happy to help keep you distracted if that's what helps; I'm also curious what movies you enjoy.

Your car metaphor and situation do make sense, and I also feel the same. On one hand I feel like forcing myself to not feel certain things, and let the cars pass by, would get me through it; but that wouldn't fix a roadblock, nor is it being very nice to myself then in the process. Maybe it's just like when you get a stomach illness, you just have to endure and work through the pain until eventually it goes away and you feel better.

Yet another thing we have in common haha, and I'm enjoying the generic names. They help keep anonymity obviously, but them being kind of funny helps make our situations a bit lighter, which I find to help a little. I completely understand what you mean though, it's not at all that Sally isn't good enough or you're greedy, it's just that you have room in your heart both to care about others and be cared for by others, and that's leaving you feel incomplete. And you are most definitely not a hypocrite! Like you said, if you're ever an Alice to Sally, it would be up to Sally to express her concerns of that; and I know for a fact that you would communicate your feelings, explain your situation, and express how much you care for and appreciate her - and that makes you not an Alice in the slightest <3 It also makes me so glad that you have someone like that in your corner cheering you on, you really deserve to be cared for!

P.S. - To give you a sense of my struggle with making sure things are worded properly and such, your message said 4 minutes ago when I started, and it now says 2 hours ago lol

It's always a pleasure talking with you and helping each other through our struggles, and I also look forward to hearing more from you!! And maybe seeing what other generic names we can include into our stories lol

@Adam10999 

Haha thank you - both of the metaphors get more embarrassing every time I reread them so I appreciate you saying that😅And yeah, I don't think you're blowing it out of proportion. If it were the only complaint you had about your friendship with Alice, I might advise you to take a chill pill, you know lol? But it's not, it's part of a bigger problem and just so happens to be a fair example of your guys' dynamic right now. I don't think it's crazy for you to feel the way you do about it. Also, about the message revision - you might be entertained to hear I had to read that a couple of times before I figured out why you thought you were overthinking lol. It seems so normal to me to think that way. When I'm messaging people I tend to do the same thing. And to a degree I think it's only considerate to do your best to properly convey your tone like that, but when that mindset leaks into other formats of interaction like I believe it has it has for us both, I think it can pose a problem. 

I'm the same - I generally do it in person when it comes up naturally, and always with a friendly/platonic tone. I've rewritten this paragraph specifically like ten times because I can't find the right words to describe why I'm so anxious about it, but I think you understand.

That's good - I'm glad you're taking that pressure off of yourself. And I like what you said about mistakes - they're meant to show us ways of improving, not to hold us back or tell us we aren't good enough. It's a good way to phrase it. I'll do my best to keep it in mind <3

Thank you, I really appreciate you saying that. I feel guilty every time I fall back into this, especially since there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why I do, and I think I needed someone to say that to me outright. And thank you again for the offer - the same goes for you <3 Also, I could talk for a long time about the media I enjoy lol, so I'll try to keep it short. My favorite movie of all time is easily The Princess Bride, and if you haven't seen it you are missing out lol. I grew up on movies like Hook, Jumanji, Mary Poppins, Mrs. Doubtfire, Newsies, etc. so those will always have a special place in my heart. And I say movies in my earlier reply, but actually I've been watching a lot of tv shows. My Alice actually got me into kpop a few years ago, which accidentally lead down a kpop -> kdrama -> asian drama pipeline lol. I just binged a Korean show called Flower of Evil. It's pretty dark, which is not usually my style but it was so good. What about you, what do you enjoy watching?

Oh, good, I was worried it was kind of nonsense haha. I'm sorry you feel the same - it's such a frustrating thing. And yeah, forcing yourself to block out the feelings is different from observing them, but I haven't quite figured out the difference in practice yet. Maybe you're right, it's just a matter of suffering for a while until it's over, although I kind of hope you're wrong because that just plain sucks haha. Here's to us figuring it all out soon!! 

I'm certain now that you have to be my long-lost twin lol - or maybe we're emotional clones haha! It's such a cliche thing to say, but I really thought I was the only one who thought like this. I'm glad you're enjoying the generic names! I'm sure you'll have more to look forward to lol. But thank you for saying all of that. It feels so nice to be so honest about my feelings and be met with kindness and understanding <3 and although there's probably always going to be a part of me that's stuck with impostor syndrome, it's a relief to hear someone say I'm not a horrible friend or person. I also hope you have someone in your corner because you deserve it too, and more. And if not, then I'll be here in your corner, cheering you on :) 

P.S. Um, I just did the exact same thing lol. My condolences, good sir

Same here! It's been nice to come back here and hear more about your life, and then be able to be honest about mine as well. I hope to hear from you soon! Good luck with everything. (And about the names - we'll have to see lol. Maybe next we'll have a Tom. Or a Mary? Or we might as well just go with John Doe next. I named the last two so you vote haha 😉)

Adam10999 January 3rd

@cloverisconfusedNah, the metaphors are great lol, and if the username thing was my only complaint, I would definitely want you to tell me to chill haha!

That's what I'm saying! It's just so normal for me to quickly think about how they might easily misinterpret it, and fix it then. To be honest though I am kind of glad she asked, because that gave her some insight into my way of thinking, and also gave me some reassurance that if I had a problem with her, she trusts that I would say something; a point she's reinforced a few more times since then too. I think quickly overthinking to clear up any easy misinterpretations is okay, but more overthinking than that and it starts getting into unhealthy territory. I thought you worded it perfectly, so maybe tenth time's the charm haha.

I'm more than fine delving as deep into media as you want to, so I say go for it! I have not seen The Princess Bride, but it has officially made it on my list of priorities purely based on your recommendation! I grew up on a few of the ones you mentioned as well, but I don't really remember much about my childhood and thus don't have much to reminisce about. They are great movies for sure, I just prefer more modern ones personally - Marvel and DC, Dreamworks and Disney (although maybe less stereotypical for a guy), not a horror fan though (Children of the Corn wasn't even scary, just weird. only horror movie I've seen though, and I don't count Haunted Mansion, Corpse Bride, Hocus Pocus, or similar ones). TV shows were mostly DC with some Knight Rider, The Tomorrow People, The 100, Psych, Supernatural, Bones, and probably some others thrown in too. A friend of mine got me into kpop a few years ago too haha (KDA, BTS, (G)I-DLE, BlackPink, and Jisoo) Some other artists I listen to are Starset, NF (during times like this), Bad Omens, BMTH, Falling in Reverse, The Zealots, and occasionally some FFDP, I prevail, and some random songs thrown in like Paradise by Sixlight or Innocent by Mitchel Dae.

I'm sorry you're going through most of the things I'm going through too, but at least we have each other's company and help climbing out of this hole we've found ourselves in. And yeah, this is one of those situations where I really hope I'm wrong. I can't tell you how many times I've overthought about something and figured it would turn out poorly and it did. I'm not sure if the people expected me to say "I told you so", but I just kind of get sad and tell them I wish I wasn't right and that things had turned out differently - almost like I manifested it to happen or something.

I was almost a twin tbh. The other didn't develop though, so don't feel sad. If you also like Starset and feel like they can't make a bad song, then we might just be twins lol. Emotional clones could definitely be a possibility though haha, we have way too many similar viewpoints and struggles that something has to be going on right? Haha! And even with our brief history, you're one of the kindest and most understanding people I've ever met <3

You're perfectly fine haha - again, relieving that I'm not the only one doing it lol. I'm really glad to hear I make you comfortable enough to share your life truthfully with me. I feel the same way, like there's no possible way I could be judged or criticized harshly in any way, like my honest thoughts and opinions are welcomed and encouraged. I appreciate you!
(maybe we'll go with... I like Mary and Tom, and maybe Hannah and Dan haha 😉)

@Adam10999

That totally makes sense. That is nice to have that reassurance. And I agree, quickly thinking about easy misinterpretations is okay, but any more than that is when it crosses from consideration to overthinking. And thanks lol

Good! If you do end up watching it you'll have to tell me what you think! If you don't mind my asking, why don't you remember much of your childhood? If you don't feel comfortable answering that's totally fine, I'm just a bit curious.

I enjoy modern movies too! They just don't come to mind first for some reason. My dad's family is also super into Marvel movies, and I actually just rewatched Captain America with my little sister a few days ago. And Dreamworks and Disney are also great! Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are some of my favorite animated movies, and there are a lot of great Disney movies as well. I'm also not a big horror fan. My go-to Halloween movies are actually some of the ones you mentioned - Corpse Bride, Hocus Pocus, and I also enjoy watching Hotel Transylvania around that time of year. So yeah, definitely not big on horror lol. I haven't seen Children of the Corn, so I'll have to take your word on it haha. DC shows are fun! I'm not sure if we're talking about the same ones, but I did enjoy The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl, although I haven't checked back in on them in a while. And Psych is such a fun show, I'm glad you mentioned it! I haven't seen the other ones you mentioned but I'll have to check them out sometime. As a general rule, I tend to lean towards fantasy/sci-fi so some of the other shows I enjoy are BBC's Merlin, Doctor Who, and Good Omens. And no way haha - that's so funny your friend also got you into kpop. I'm a fan of groups like Ateez, Seventeen, BOYNEXTDOOR, Dreamcatcher, LUCY, and Shinee, and I just finished watching Kingdom for the first time so I've been listening to a lot of BTOB, iKON, and The Boyz as well. And although I'm not super familiar with the groups you mentioned (besides a little bit of BTS), I do like the little I know about them! Unfortunately, besides a few songs from NF, I don't know any of the other artists you mentioned, including Starset, so maybe I'll have to give up the twin idea 😂 But I'll definitely check them out! Any particular songs you'd recommend? Some other artists I like, just off the top of my head, are Rachael Yamagata, Michael Jackson, Queen, Iam Tongi, AJR, Eric Nam, and Jeff Satur. As of late, my new go-to during times like these has been a korean-american artist called NIve, particularly the songs "Tired", "To: My Dear Friend", "Till u say i go", and "In My Head".

That's very true, and I'm very glad for your company. And I'm sorry that's happened to you so far - and although it's impossible to manifest bad things to happen, I totally understand the feeling. Sometimes overthinking can feel like having prophetic abilities, only you can only see the bad. 

Oh, that's interesting! I was actually a rainbow baby, and if the other babies had made it I would have had triplets as older sisters. And thank you, you're so sweet! You are also one of the most sympathetic and accepting people I've had the pleasure of coming across. I've really appreciated hearing your viewpoints and experiences so far <3

Good haha. I'm so happy to hear you feel the same way. I really do want to hear your honest thoughts and opinions, so I'm glad you feel safe enough to share them. Thank you for being so great! (and yes, Hannah and Dan, I approve 👍Added to the queue 😉)

Adam10999 January 3rd

@cloverisconfused

You could probably ask me anything and I would feel comfortable answering. I don't feel that talking about my childhood is too personal either; that could be just me though. I'm not really sure why I don't remember much, but I remember a couple bad times in school when I was younger, playing soccer and baseball, and visiting with family for the holidays, but that all starts around 7-ish years old? The only thing I have to go on from before that is what my parents tell me. Come to think of it though, I did whack my head on the tile floor when I was younger haha - twice... so maybe that has something to do with it lol

Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon came to my mind first too! And Elemental was a cute one too, but I did just watch that recently. I forgot about Hotel Transylvania, and The Flash is the only TV show I've actually watched all the way through - I finished that a month or two ago. And I also used to watch Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and Big Bang when I was in middle/high school. When I started college the first time, I really got into video games so I didn't watch much TV from mid 2017 forward.

I'm not familiar with any of the artists you mentioned either (aside from a couple Michael Jackson and Queen songs) but based on everything else, maybe don't give up on us being twins just yet haha! Satellite, My Demons, and Stratosphere are my current recommendations for Starset songs, but they're all so good! I'll be checking out your recommendations soon myself.

I have an older sister and a younger sister, and I guess the real twin test is if your birthday just happens to also be October 9th - I keep thinking about how absolutely insane that would be, like we'd even narrow it down to the minute haha!

You're so sweet too <3 You make my day every time I come on here and read something from you!
Until next time madam!
cloverisconfused OP January 4th

@Adam10999

Oh, that's kind of a relief! I was a little bit expecting there to be some trauma or something, so for your sake I'm glad it's not that. Although I;ll admit potential brain damage is not anything to scoff at either haha 😂

That's cool! And oh my gosh I almost forgot Big Bang existed! I used to watch it with my mom when I was a young teenager but I haven't even thought about it in years. And I'm not much of a gamer myself but I am curious as to what video games you like

I'll definitely give those songs a try! Lmk what you think of my recommendations :)

I have two older stepsisters, an older stepbrother, a younger brother, and a younger half sister. Unfortunately we do not have the same birthday haha - mine's in January 😅 Ah, well, there's always the clone theory to go back to lol

<3 Same here! Until next time :D

Adam10999 January 4th

@cloverisconfused
I'm going to be honest, I kind of wish I did have some trauma or brain damage, because then at least I would know what the problem was and already have sort of a solution, you know? 😂

I appreciate your curiosity and interest! My gaming list would probably consist of Warframe (3rd person hack and slash looter/shooter), Minecraft, Destiny 2 (just got into it a couple days ago but I am really enjoying it)(similar to Warframe and first person), Forza Horizon 5 (racing/driving), Fortnite, Satisfactory (survival factory builder), and GTA 5 (I used to make vehicles for modded storymode). Dead Island (zombie hack and slash) and Fallout New Vegas (open world post apocalyptic really good story) were my go-to games back in my Xbox 360 days (2014-2017). Valorant would have also made it on the list if my friends had ever asked me to join them. To be fair I did tell them that I don't enjoy it solo but I enjoy it with them, so maybe they would have felt bad inviting me to play something I don't personally find enjoyable, who knows. Oh, maybe some Bloons Tower Defense (6 currently, but I used to play 4 and 5 on my phone several years ago). I'm also currently working on a big project of making my own custom tower defense game, so that's been interesting but fun! More or less dove head first into that once I started this whole reformation/self-reimagining thing - probably as a way to distract myself until I could process what I was feeling.

And Happy almost Birthday!! 🥳🎉
I hope your birthday wish comes true, not matter what it is! And I also hope you continue to receive more and more gratitude and appreciation, because you truly deserve it!
From what I know so far, it sounds like you have at least a few people in your life that'll celebrate your birthday with you and make your day special - but if you find yourself unaccompanied for your day, if you'll have me, I would be honored to keep you company on such a momentous occasion!

Turned into Shakespeare or somebody there for a sec haha 😂 I do tend to have spurts where my inner thesaurus comes out lol

It would have been nice to have a twin lol - nevertheless, having an emotional clone is pretty sweet too <3
I wish you all the best!

@Adam10999

Haha I know, right? It would be nice to have something to point at and say "that's what's wrong with me!" - but oh well lol. 

Those sound interesting! It's too bad your friends didn't invite you but I think you probably hit the nail on the head in saying they probably didn't want to pressure you into playing something you don't enjoy. And that project sounds so cool! It also sounds very complicated lol. I'm glad you've been having fun with it! I think it'll turn out well! 

Aw thanks haha, you're so sweet! Happy very late birthday 🎉!! And I appreciate the poetic words, Mr. Shakespeare - you're so kind

Very true <3 I wish you all the best as well! 

blueSpring7541 January 3rd

@cloverisconfused

I think we all have/had Alice at some point of pur lives.

Just wanted to say a few things

• Expecting respect in any relationship or friendship doesn't make you weak. It's a bare minimum.
  • From what you wrote, it is one sided friendship. 
  • It's not okay for a friend to go days without responding. Yes, life happens and sometimes gets in the ways, but if that happens too often, it's a problem.
  • You're not desperate or clingy for asking someone to explain why they stopped texting or whatever. You deserve to know. 

@blueSpring7541

Thank you so much for saying this, I really do appreciate it. I'm not sure how much you read in my conversation with @Adam10999 but I have said again and again how validating it is to hear that I'm not crazy or weak or mean because I'm not happy with this friendship. I keep finding myself thinking about how it would be easier to just let this go and keep on letting myself be unhappy with this friendship, but anytime I get a response on this forum helps remind me why I'm not doing that anymore. Thank you <3

blueSpring7541 January 4th

@cloverisconfused

I get it. We all get lonely sometimes or we miss good things about those friendships, or we hope they will change. I still miss certain parts of friendships that ended, but I no longer tolerate disrespect and gaslighting.

@blueSpring7541

That's good. I'm glad you've realized you don't deserve people that don't treat you right. Wish me luck in doing the same <3

blueSpring7541 January 4th

@cloverisconfused

Just come here and read all replies whenever you have doubts! 🤞🏻🍀

Adam10999 January 5th

@cloverisconfused
A third one here we come lol

Update: Spent the day with my best friend from college which was really nice. First time in a while that we've gotten to hang out without doing school work lol. We watched National Treasure and the new Hunger Games, and then played a board game. It was really nice!
Also, my Alice streamed for about an hour today, so I kind of got put to the ultimate test of my improvements. I conclude that I'm not nearly as ready as I thought I was, but I'm definitely a lot better than I was a week ago when all this started. She's streaming again tomorrow (not sure for how long) but I'm gonna go for round 2 and see how that goes. I'm also still in her *** server (haven't and am not going to check if I still have the really high tier role she gave me, not for a while yet) but I'm also still mod in her stream, so I'm both getting more practice with my emotions and having her back by helping give shout-outs and monitoring chat for rude or creepy people.
I've decided that whenever I do find myself ready to communicate with my friends again, that I want to reach out to my Alice (as I hope you have not lost hope or the courage to do so yourself <3 I'm rooting for you!) and ask to talk about things if she's up for it, or at least find out if we're still friends or on speaking terms. Definitely not that second part the way it's worded, because I don't want to assume that anything drastic has happened (cuz that would be me blowing it out of proportion, and that I need to chill out as she said) and also possibly thank her for incentivizing me to see how I treat others and myself, and giving me the motivation to work on that and become better - and also telling me some things that maybe were only bothering her a little bit, but that she pointed out to me from being upset. (I wanted to ask your opinion on thanking her though) I figure thanking her would definitely be part of a verbal conversation though, if we have it when the time comes. I also want to leave it open to if/when she wants to talk, and if she wants to speak or just message.

That's all I got for now. I plan on updating again after her stream tomorrow - if it runs overnight I'll update in the morning then. I hope all is going well with you, and I'm here if you need anything! <3

cloverisconfused OP January 5th

@Adam10999

That's awesome! I'm so glad you got to spend that time with a friend. Especially a college one, since I know we both have struggled to make good connections there so far. 

I'm glad you feel like you improved - that has to be a relief to know it's getting better, even if it's not happening as fast as you thought. Let me know how round 2 goes. Good luck with that and the practice managing emotions!! 

That's probably a good idea. And good on you for realizing you should wait until you're sure you're ready to communicate with your friends. As for advice, I'm not sure I could tell you anything you haven't already thought of lol. But I do think that thanking her is definitely going to be better as an in-person thing. I also think that it could go both ways in terms of whether it's a good idea. From what you've told me, it sounds like she was feeling a little bit smothered. I think that if you do decide to thank her, it would be a good idea to keep it on the casual side. Being too fervent about it could leave her feeling a little bit overwhelmed, if that makes any sense. And that's not to say that your gratitude itself is smothering or that you should necessarily stifle it, just that it might be good to keep her feelings in mind - it might help her feel freer to keep the conversation open in the future. But take my advice with a grain of salt! I'm no expert with this stuff, this is just what I think as a third party :)

I don't have a lot to update on right now. I was supposed to get dinner with a college friend last night to celebrate her graduation, but she canceled last minute. To be honest I was a bit relieved - I'm still not feeling super up to socializing. Besides a short few messages on Christmas and New Year's Day, I still haven't contacted my Alice, and I haven't been contacted by her. I told you, however, that I would contact her this weekend and set up a time to meet, so I am still planning on doing that. I'm really grateful, by the way - I 100% would have given up by now for the millionth time, but this forum is keeping me accountable. 

On one hand, the more time that passes without her contacting me, the worse I feel about it. But that's when I think about it. On the other hand, the more time that passes without us interacting, the better I get about putting those feelings to the side and focusing on other things. I'm sure that I'm not doing as well as I think, but I know I'm at least making some process, which is good. 

I listened to that podcast you recommended to me! I listened to 208: "Tough Conversations And How They Improve Your Mental Health" as it seemed relevant to my near future lol. It was really nice to listen to someone lay out the benefits of tough conversations out so plainly, and he gave really solid advice as to how to handle the conversation itself. One point that stuck with me was that it is a conversation, not a monologue about what you've been feeling. Another point I liked is that you need to go into it knowing what you want the solution to be. I've been going through different situations in my head for this conversation I'm going to have, and I didn't realize how many of them were like that - me having my little moment where I get to vent everything, and then with an unrealistic resolution where I feel 100% better afterwards and we suddenly have the healthiest friendship of all time. The fact is that if this conversation doesn't end the friendship, then it's going to end with me having more understanding to her reasons and her making the commitment to do better, not her somehow making up for everything that happened before. Either way, I'm not going to see results immediately. I can't expect to suddenly feel 100% better after the conversation, and I need to be okay with that. 

Good luck with the stream! I'm cheering for you :D I'll keep an eye out for your update, and I'll update you when I contact my Alice. I'm here for you too! <3

Adam10999 January 5th

@cloverisconfused
I really like your advice thank you! I definitely want to keep her feelings, thoughts, everything in mind moving forward, and I also want to make our conversation as comfortable for her as I possibly can. I think what you said about keeping the thankfulness important but light and not overwhelming will really help the situation, thank you!

I'm glad you got to do what you wanted in the end! Glad you're sticking to it, and proud of you for having the motivation to keep coming back here and reinforcing your original desire to contact her! I feel you too, although mine kind of got split between past and present - before I started working on myself I would find myself more and more sad and anxious the longer I didn't receive a reply, but now I'm finding myself to be more and more okay with moving on if things turn out for the worst. I completely agree too, any progress is better than no progress. Keep on keeping on - I think you're doing wonderfully!

I will definitely check out that episode today and share my thoughts, but I really like your take-aways and I think you've helped me so much already! I think I shared your expectations of my Alice and I having a meaningful conversation, and then just going back to out great friendship from before but with new boundaries and expectations of one another. That's definitely unrealistic though, and we will both have to put time and effort into building our friendship back up from a new foundation.

I really appreciate you <3

cloverisconfused OP January 5th

@Adam10999

Of course! Anytime :)

Thank you <3 I'll do my best! And that's interesting - I'm glad you're becoming more and more okay with moving on. I'm sure your mental health is thanking you lol

I agree :) Here's to both of us learning how to improve our relationships in a healthy way! Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the episode :)

Adam10999 January 6th
@cloverisconfused
Stream started while I'm typing this, but she was having issues gaming and streaming so it only lasted about 20 minutes. She seems really happy though like usual, unlike around the holidays when a mutual friend said they thought something was going on with her. In which case it was probably just bad timing with my overthinking and her dealing with her stuff. Also, I messaged my other best friends letting them know I'm still alive and working further on myself, and that I'm doing better but still have a ways yet to go.

As for episode 208:
Avoiding conflict for fear of releasing Pandora's Box on someone undeserving of it, hurting someone's feelings, and ruining the relationship, are all big parts of why I usually would bottle up my emotions or just play it off as if they're joking. Questioning the validity of my concerns is definitely something I do a lot too. The few days leading up to my follow-up message were just me fighting with myself over whether or not I was overcomplicating the situation and blowing it all out of proportion - about her being upset with me. Jokes on me though, my overthinking won in the end since she got mad at me because of it. Not being very confident or having good skills in communicating how I feel definitely held me back most times. Having these sorts of conversations early on is definitely best.

I think a lot of this situation could have been avoided, had I just took a moment to chill out and think about how much I was blowing this out of proportion. However, I can't go back and change the beginning, but I can start where I am and change the ending. (it's a wooden sign my neighbor made for me) - plus I wouldn't have met you or my other friend, so whatever the outcome, I'm glad I made the decision to realize there was a bigger underlying problem with myself and was able to meet you. Thinking about how I want to handle the conversation is great advice that I have already started on. Inviting conversation with open-ended questions and being straight to the point with "I" statements, is great for helping the other person not feel attacked while also being able to openly share what they want to share. I'm pretty good at listening and seeing things from different angles, so I don't see that being an issue for either of us in our conversations, but definitely important to understand. 

Again, I really like what you said about being able to expect and accept an imperfect conversation and resolution. I like how he said it's going to take multiple conversations before the issue is resolved, and I agree that expecting to work on things for a while is good practice. Also, being sure to focus on the problem rather than the people involved made a lot of sense.

Major Revelation: So several months back, my Alice suggested I get a Tellonym - a website or app that lets users anonymously ask you questions and you can answer them to post on your profile. Well... my Alice just answered "how was your day" by stating she had been moving some stuff from a recently deceased family member. That explains why her mood was "off" around the holidays, you know, the time when I decided I must have done something wrong or that it had to be about me...

I feel like I just lost any and all progress I had made so far. I feel like such an awful person right now. Like who does that? Who's so insensitive and insecure that they worry about whether someone likes them or not, when that someone is dealing with such a loss and hard time. Sure I didn't know that back when I made the fuss, but even I always say that you never know what someone's going through. Figures that I tell everyone I'm doing alright and then it all crashes.

There's a little part of me that wants to ask for your help through this. I'm not going to take any drastic measures or anything, besides maybe the self destruction from stress, anxiety, and depression.

I hope you're having a much better night (technically morning 1:20am) than I am.
Wishing you all the best!
cloverisconfused OP January 7th

@Adam10999

Oh my god! I'm so so sorry I am so late in responding. For some reason I didn't get a notification that you had written back, and with all of our conversation to scroll past it got a bit lost :( That's totally my bad - please don't think it was because I didn't want to respond to you, because I did :)

Gotcha - well, I guess it's good that she seems happier, although it must feel so frustrating to think it might have all been your overthinking. And in that case, I'm sorry. I'm glad you messaged your other friends though - that seems like a good idea to just let them know you're alive :) Good luck with working on yourself btw - I think so far you're doing great <3

I like your comments on the episode. I also think questioning the validity of my concerns is something I do quite a bit, and I'm sorry you also struggle with it. I'm also sorry you've spent all that time fighting with yourself - it really is such an awful feeling, isn't it? I just want to reassure you that you don't need to question the validity of your concerns. If you're having concerns, you're having them for a reason. Even if the reason might not be the one you're thinking of, you have a right to express those worries and expect the other person to respect both you and your feelings. I definitely agree - the longer you wait to have these conversations, the worse it gets. 

I really like that saying - it makes total sense. We were talking about having regrets and making mistakes a while ago, and I think it really fits this phrase. Although we may have gone about things in ways we regret, we can't do anything about it. But we can do better, and focus on fostering healthy relationships with others and with ourselves. I'm proud of you for recognizing what you need to work on and then actually cracking down on it. Talking about self-improvement is one thing, but implementing it is entirely different. Not everyone takes that step, but you have, and I think that's commendable. And I agree - for someone who overthinks, I think some of the most valuable information from that episode relates to how we go about expressing our needs while being assertive but noncombative. Good luck with any tough conversations you have in the future! I'm sure you'll do great. (And remember! Perfect is impossible, and great does not = perfect. You can make mistakes and still have done a great job :) )

That's a good way to summarize it! In the end, a tough conversation can only have an imperfect ending. So multiple conversations is good at improving that ending, little by little. 

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'm glad her bad mood doesn't seem to have been about you, but I'm sorry you spent all that emotional energy worrying about it. That really is exhausting and frustrating, and I'm sorry. But at the same time, I'm glad it was kind of able to start you on a journey to work on yourself and ultimately improve your mental health. 

I'm so sorry you're feeling that way. Although I absolutely understand your feelings, I hope you know that you are not a bad person at all. There was obviously a misunderstanding, and it doesn't take a crazy person for that to happen. Plus, you had no idea she was struggling with a loss. Sure, she could have told you, or you could have asked. But in the end, you didn't know. You saw signs that something was wrong and misread them as something was wrong with you. But that's okay. Things didn't go perfectly, and that's okay. You're not an awful person. Awful people don't feel bad about being awful. Good people who make mistakes do. Take it as a sign that you're a kind person who cares about other people. And now that you've made the mistake of assuming, you can take that information and keep it in mind as you go forward. You're not going to be perfect about it, but that is impossible and completely unreasonable to expect you to be. Be kind to yourself, and give yourself a break. You deserve it. <3

I'm not sure if it's too late to offer my help, but I am here if you need it. I'm sorry you're going through all this - it really is a rough situation to be in. Just remember I'm here in your corner! If you ever have doubts, remember I'm rooting for you <3

Adam10999 January 8th

@cloverisconfused

You're okay <3 I appreciate you getting back to me regardless! Rest assured that I didn't, and would never, think you didn't want to respond or anything! It's good practice for the both of us to understand that we just have to try our best, and that it's up to the other person to speak up if they are uncomfortable or have any issues, and not something for us to assume or overthink.

It really is good that she seems happier, because no matter what happens I'll always want the absolute best for her. I appreciate you saying that my concerns are valid simply by existence, and for helping me recognize how much I've done so far. You really are too sweet <3
I would really like to tell her that I'm sorry for her loss and that although I didn't know, it still doesn't excuse my overthinking and I'm sorry - but idk if that's how I want to word it, or if I should even send just that without also opening up for further conversation about "becoming friends again"? not really again I hope, and not fix or repair, but become better together. (I'm just not sure how to word it)
But also since she said before to just chill out, maybe now that she's doing better she wouldn't want to have that conversation until a while later after she's had time to fully grieve and take care of all of that, or that she wouldn't see it as as big of a deal anymore and me asking for a conversation would make her think that I'm still blowing it out of proportion.
Idk, I'm overthinking again...

I appreciate everything you've said, and especially how you put the situation into perspective for me. It's very reassuring to hear that it's okay that I misread the situation and that I shouldn't feel bad about it, but take it as a sign of my kindness and caring for her. I did try to do my best, and now that I know better I can do better.

Your words of appreciation and encouragement could never be too late, and I appreciate you so much! <3
Keep being the absolutely incredible individual you are, and remember to be kind and compassionate to yourself as well!
And from the bottom of my heart, Thank You so very much!! <3
cloverisconfused OP January 8th

@Adam10999

Of course! And you have a good point, this is good practice for both of us. 

And you're welcome - you have done and would do the same for me :) 

Yeah, and at risk of becoming too blunt, I agree you might be overthinking it a bit. I think a simple, "I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry I didn't know until now" or something along those lines would suffice. Of course, we're all responsible for reigning in our own overthinking and anxieties, but she didn't tell you and you didn't ask - so in a way, the misunderstanding was a bit of a team effort lol. If after a while, after she seems like she's been able to move past her grief a little bit, it still seems like your friendship dynamic is weird... then I think that's when you should consider bringing it up to her again to make sure you're both on the same page. For now, though, I think it might be the wrong time to worry about it too much. 

Of course! I'm always here to do my best to help encourage and reassure you. I'm sure you're going to keep improving from here <3

Adam10999 January 10th

@cloverisconfused

Hey friend! I wanted to check in and see how you're doing - make sure you're taking good care of yourself.

Just a quick update - that I decided to say "I wanted to offer my condolences and deepest sympathies for the loss of your family member, and I'm sorry I didn't know until now." I haven't heard anything back yet, not that it needs a reply or anything though.
Power went out like 3 times earlier this evening due to high winds, so that was good times lol.
Almost done with the tutorial videos on how to make my tower defense game, then I get to go wild with making it my own and adding/changing things! I'm super excited!

As for me and my mental health, I've actually been doing alright the past few days. Still a little jealousy to work on being okay with, but other than that things have been going fairly well. Your advice and reassurance from last we spoke really helped with understanding the situation.

I really appreciate you, and I very much look forward to our next conversation! <3

cloverisconfused OP January 10th

@Adam10999

Thanks for checking in! Sorry I've been MIA - spring semester started this week and it has been really really overwhelming. I'm doing my best though, and I think once I get a couple of weeks in I'll be able to get some time to myself. Because spring semester has been so insane so far, I haven't talked to Alice yet. I still haven't heard from her at all, but I think I'll wait until I have a better routine and feel a little more settled before I ask her to talk. 

I think that was a good way to phrase it! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response yet - I'm sure that's discouraging. But I'm proud of you for doing it anyways. And oof power outages sound like tons of fun lol. That's so exciting to hear about the process on your game!! If you ever release it to the public I might give gaming a try haha. 

I'm so glad I was a help, and I'm relieved you're doing alright. I'm sorry you're still feeling a bit of jealousy, but that's understandable. I hope it starts going away soon though <3

I look forward to hearing from you!! I'll talk to you later :)

Adam10999 January 11th

@cloverisconfused
I can imagine... my first week last semester was all 11-12 hour days on campus... it was exhausting! I really hope you'll get into a good schedule soon though so you can relax and get some time to yourself! Classes start for me this Tuesday, but I'm on the wait list for 3/4 of my classes... 2nd, 5th, and 7th still... I'm hoping to either get in by Monday evening, or else I'll have to change my schedule to get into other classes.

Power was out all yesterday so I completely took apart my keyboard, cleaned it, and put it back together. Then cleaned the fans on my computer too. The power came back on around midnight last night so I went to get some gaming in, but turned on my computer to the smell of a burning keyboard. Turns out I plugged the power/data cable in upside down on accident and either fried the capacitor or data chip on the circuit board... 😭 I found a spare keyboard and I bought a new one from my friend for cheap, but hopefully I can not only find a new capacitor, but also get it to work again! (rip my Redragon K580 Vata... 😭)

As for the lack of reply, I've kind of just accepted that she'll respond if she wants to and I'm not going to try forcing anyone anymore. If they want to spend time with me or show that they care - they will, you know?

I look forward to hearing from you <3 Keep being your amazing self!

cloverisconfused OP January 12th

@Adam10999

Yeeesh, that does sound exhausting! I'm glad you made it through that haha. Good luck with your classes! It's always stressful when you don't know what's coming, so I hope it works out soon. 

Oh no!!! 😭 That's the worst lmao. I'm sorry! I hope you can get it to work again! 

That makes sense. At some point, you have to accept that you've got to match what the other person is putting in, even if it's almost nothing. I'm glad you've been able to find some sort of peace with it. 

Thank you - I'll do my best!! You too <3 As always, I look forward to hearing from you too :)

cloverisconfused OP January 12th

@Adam10999

Hey! I wanted to see how you were doing. I hope all your technical stuff is going a little smoother for you 😭 that is literally the worst lmao. How have you been other than that? 

was also wondering if I could ask you for a favor. Please feel free to say no - I promise I won’t be offended, and I’ll figure it out. But I’ve been trying to get myself to send that message to Alice for a day now and I think I just need a little encouragement or something because I keep coming up with reasons why I shouldn’t do it. I’d like to know whether you still think this is a good idea, and either way, why. 

Again, if you don’t feel like it I totally understand, and I promise I’ll figure it out and do it eventually. But either way thank you <3 

Adam10999 January 12th

@cloverisconfused
Hey! I just got done ordering a new capacitor that should come sometime later next week. I really hope that's where the problem lies, and that I didn't fry one of the processing chips - that would really suck!

I've been playing a lot of games lately, and I'm opening back up and being more social with the friends I so abruptly left. I don't remember if I mentioned or not, but I said screw it and checked my roles in her server and I still have that high tier role, and we had a minor interaction in someone else's Twitch stream last night, so I think we're all cool now which is fantastic! I still would like to wait at least a week after I sent my condolences, before fully opening things up and asking to go over things with her - so we're looking at this coming Monday, however classes start up the following day, so I might end up pushing it off until that following weekend, we'll have to see. I also have a long overdue hair cut scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so that's going to be so nice!

I think we both know by now that no matter what favor you ask of me, it's an immediate yes! If encouragement is what you need, then I shall provide an abundance!
My genuine thoughts are that I really do think it will be really beneficial. It's been something you've wanted to do for a while now, and it will definitely help you get closure on the situation so you can move past it and upward to better things. I think if you decide not to do it, you'll be left with a "what if" which just prolongs your suffering and fuels your overthinking. I think that it's better to know than to be left wondering, so even if Allice has moved on, knowing that will set you free - otherwise you'll both be able to rekindle your friendship, be more fulfilled, and have a friendship stronger than ever!

The simple fact of you wanting to do this, yet overthinking of reasons why you shouldn't, is reason enough TO have your conversation with her. And there's also no guarantee it'll even come to a conversation, but you shouldn't feel bad about your decision regardless. If she does decide to let your friendship go, remember that you lost someone who didn't really care about you; but she lost someone who would have done anything for her - and that means that she is at more of a loss than you are - and that you have people who care, value, and appreciate you; who are willing to help you through the bad times, and make the good times even more magical!

No matter what you decide, I'll be right here supporting you through it all! You got this, I believe in you! You're very welcome, and Thank You! You're amazing, kind, sweet, respectful, honest, and so much more! We should all strive to be as wonderful as you! <3

cloverisconfused OP January 13th

@Adam10999

Oh, I hope so too! I don't know much about computers but it sounds like an annoying and expensive thing if it was your processing chip 😬 I'm crossing my fingers it isn't lol

That's great! I'm so glad things are looking up for you in that department. I agree that it might be good to wait a while. In the meantime, good luck with your upcoming classes, the haircut, and with your friends! 

Aw thank you <3 I really really appreciate you. That was all really helpful, and that second paragraph was exactly what I needed to hear. And you really are so sweet, thank you so much! You deserve the world :) You know what - to help keep me accountable, I'm going to send the text as I'm writing this. Ready, set, and..... OK I did it! I spent like 10 minutes hovering over the send button and 'm a little freaking out about it but it's all good. I can't take it back, it's happening, and it'll be good for me. 

Thanks for being there to help! I really appreciate how supportive and sweet you have been - it really has helped me so much. Good luck with everything! Let me know how it all goes. Bye for now! 

cloverisconfused OP January 13th

@Adam10999

She responded right away, which was a little out of character. She said she was just about to text me because she hadn't heard from me in a while, and that she's missed me but has been busy and knows I am too, and that it makes it hard to reach out. She said she was sorry I've been feeling like this and would be open to talking if I wanted. 

I'm not going to lie, it's definitely nice to hear. But I'm having a hard time fully trusting it, you know? I don't know if that's because it's so not what I was expecting, or if it's because it's not trustworthy, or if I just can't believe her bc of my own anxieties... I don't know. But so far she's being really cooperative and seems like she wants to work things out. I really hope this is the truth. 

Part of me is frustrated and laughing at myself because I spent literal weeks trying to figure out the perfect way to bring up this issue and work this out in the best way possible, and it seems like maybe it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought. My hands are literally shaking from that release of pent up anxiety as I write this 😅

We're going to meet next thursday over some boba or something, so I'll update you on how it all went then! I'll also keep you updated on stuff in the meantime - if stuff happens, that is. As always, thanks so much for listening to me :)