Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Binge Eating

KristenHR April 30th

ed-breaking-news-hope-binge-eating_1714403785.png

Binge Eating seems to have a lot of shame around it.  People sometimes think that binge eating can just be controlled by stopping eating so much.  If this were true, there wouldn't be a need for treatment for it. 

Common symptoms of Binge Eating disorder per NEDA are:

• Engages in episodes of binge eating large amounts of food in a short period of time, often in secret (eating in a discrete period of time an amount of food that is much larger than most individuals would eat under similar circumstances)
  • Feels lack of control over ability to stop eating
  • Experiences shame, guilt and despair after binge-eating episodes
  • Steals or hoards food in strange places
  • Creates lifestyle schedules or rituals to make time for binge sessions
  • Disruption in normal eating behaviors, including eating throughout the day with no planned mealtimes; skipping meals or taking small portions of food at regular meals; engaging in sporadic fasting or repetitive dieting

Here is a screening tool to see if you may have an eating disorder. 

There are treatment programs that do focus on Binge Eating Disorder, though most treatment programs put all eating disorders together because most eating disorders have various symptoms but the underlying issues are similar, and treatment is similar when dealing with underlying issues.

There are some types of treatment that are used for Binge Eating.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), which focuses on our thoughts and beliefs, which help to address what we are telling ourselves and what we believe about ourselves.

DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) which focuses on helping us to cope in 4 areas - mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation and Interpersonal effectiveness.  Using the tools found in these four areas can really help to manage emotions and stabilization of emotions and even healthy relationships that may be difficult due to the eating disorder or other reasons.

Binge episodes may be triggered by stress, dieting, negative feelings relating to body weight or body shape, the availability of food, or boredom, symptoms of PTSD or other symptoms. 

There are many reasons that individuals develop Binge Eating, but there is a high correlation between Trauma and Binge Eating, PTSD, Substance Abuse, Depression, Anxiety, and Borderline Personality Disorder.  Not everyone develops these, but many individuals cope in many ways and show co-occurring psychiatric diagnoses with their binge eating.

Some books available that you would want to determine if they are appropriate for you:

Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr Christopher G. Fairburn

The DBT Solution for Emotional Eating: A Proven Program to Break the Cycle of Bingeing and Out-of-Control Eating by Safer, Adler and Masson

Binge Eating Disorder:  The Journey to Recovery and Beyond by Pershing and Turner

Intuitive Eating:  A Revolutionary Anti-diet Approach by Tribole and Resch

Crave:  Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop by Bulik

What thoughts or questions do you have about Binge Eating Disorder?

What treatment programs have you been to that offer Binge Eating Disorder Specialized treatment programs separate from other types of eating disorders?

What resources are you looking for?

ASilentObserver May 16th

@KristenHR Thank you for creating this Kristen. I believe there are many who have been struggling with binge eating for years but never admitted it or sought help. But your post is great way to bring spotlight on this front and encourage further discussion that how one carry how much shame and guilt. I look forward to listening to everyone's experiences and supporting them in their recovery journey. 

KristenHR OP May 16th

@ASilentObserver

I'm looking forward to the responses as well!  Thanks for posting.

Alexa647 May 16th

In my country they have no idea how to treat it. They treat us as other eating disorder patients, but I think binge needs a different type of approach. At least, the conventional help offered in the clinics don’t help me.

KristenHR OP May 16th

@Alexa647

I'm sorry to hear that the conventional help in the clinics doesn't work for you.  What would you like to see different in the clinics there?  What has been helpful for you that you are aware of?

It must be really frustrating to not have the help that you have sought.  I'm really glad that you posted here and have shared with us.

Alexa647 May 16th

They were interested in my fears about some foods (that I don’t have) and then tried to teach me nutrition and cooking but I do not need support for that because I am a biologist and studied nutrition. I sometimes knew more than the ones teaching me. The psychologist tried with “don’t weight yourself”, keep a good diary, write down emotions after a binge episode… but nothing really helped.

KristenHR OP May 23rd

@Alexa647

That had to be super frustrating.  It sounds like you need a more individualized approach.  Are there any support groups where you are?  Not treatment, but the ability to meet with others struggling as well, but learning from each other and supporting each other.  Sometimes support groups provide a great resource and ideas from others that help tons.

I'm glad you're sharing.  I imagine that it can be so difficult to not have programs to help.  Have you considered any books?

Alexa647 May 23rd

Yep. Tried one for addiction in general: the miracle morning for addicts. And then a specific one for binge called Bed Lions .

Michelh1996 May 16th

@KristenHR Thanks for the post!! The external links have also given me a feeling of understanding, and that is probably one of the things I am looking for the most at times. Both in my head and also in those difficult moments. I am also looking for ways to be more clear about this myself, as for a long time in those difficult moments of personal struggle, decisionmaking, temptations etc my parents have had no idea why I behave/reason the way that I do. 😱

Recently I have started therapy and am trying to open up more and learn how to do this. But I am still looking for ways to get over those moments and deal with them because also since I have to track stuff, talk about it more because of the therapy, it has also become an even more promiment issue in my mind. Which can make the struggle worse at times. So far, I have learned that giving in is the easiest way to solve such a moment, but I don't want that to be the only way that works. That might take brakes and barriers away and lead to a deep hole of unhealthyness that I am afraid of because I am also very perceptive of my body and weight. So yeah, looking for solutions, knowing that one might be acceptance, but accepting in a combination with giving in is still a dangerous combo... 😅

KristenHR OP May 16th

@Michelh1996

Way to go on getting involved in therapy.  The funny thing about counseling, is that no matter what we are seeking treatment for, it does become a primary focus it seems, as you have mentioned, and it is now in our faces and every which way we look.  It can even feel like therapy makes it worse than better.  In reality, it just takes the issue out of the shadows into full light where we are required to look at it to address it.

I hear you about how challenging it is to resist the urges.  Someone once said that nothing helped until they broke it down.  It went something like this.

Percentage of support:

10% - friends

20% - therapy

10% - journaling

5% - calling a warmline

15% - support group

10% - using coping skills

10% - getting out of the house

10% - playing with their pet

5% - volunteering somewhere they enjoyed

5% - prayer/meditation/higher power

= 100% effectiveness.  If they only over the course of the used 1 or 2 things they felt like they were barely breaking the surface of things.  But if they utilized multiple parts of their list in a given day they could have 50 - 100% of effectiveness based on how many things they utilized. 

It took a while to really think about it but it makes a lot of sense.  Having a plan for how to manage the urges to binge, and things we can do instead of binging, they may only be a small percentage of help, but if we combine them with other things that have a small percentage of help, over the course of a day, we can have a lot of help through things, people and places throughout the day.  Of course, having direction from our therapists is also very important in beginning this search for the path for our recovery.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and a bit about where you are.  It's good to have you joining us in this discussion.

Michelh1996 May 16th

@KristenHR Thanks! And yeah, especially because it has been going under the radar for so long, the issues that come into the light are just so big...

I get that about the different approaches and all that, because I know, and I think we should all know, that in the end going to therapy is not the solution. In the end, I have to still make the decision in a difficult moment, cope, accept, give in, ignore etc. It is what happens outside the sessions that needs the focus and where you have to create the handles to win. With the therapy being one source of getting them. Like what people over here say sometimes: you don't get fat between Christmas and New Years, you get fat between New Years and Christmas 🌟

What makes it especially hard at the beginning is that a lot of mindgames you play on yourself with binge eating and eating disorders revolve around reward/compensation or specific habits/triggers. So certain activities can be relaxing to calm the mind, but als a trigger in the next moment at the same time. It doesn't help when your issues are related to timing and things that are also fun to do. Like relax or go to an event for fun, which will affect emotions and thoughts on food consumption and might trigger all kinds of stimulations. 🤔

I think a plan will definitely help, but in this plan, we should aim to make small changes to our habits in order to slowly change the assocciations and triggers around food! 🦾

Just avoiding them is also just a temporary solution, as for example: closing yourself from something and not attending just because you're afraid of what you might eat, also blocks you from having fun by attending something. Find the balance through the plan! ⚖️

KristenHR OP May 23rd

@Michelh1996

I agree with you.  If we don't address the issues and make the changes, therapy isn't going to make a difference.  I like how you address the little changes that can be made to move forward. 

It's not a one step change.  It is multiple steps and changes, and a lot of work.  It is so worth the hard work. 

Michelh1996 May 23rd

@KristenHR Thanks for the support! I am trying to create some kind of skillbox, like ways I can deal with the moments and issues. But navigating through the thoughts and temptations is so hard still. I am keeping track with a notepad, writing down the agreements I made to read them once in a while, and make extra notes on things that I can remember or that might work as a strategy :D

HopieRemi May 16th

@KristenHR

Thanks for sharing this content! :)

KristenHR OP May 23rd

@HopieRemi

My pleasure.

HopefulLife2301 May 19th

@KristenHR

I struggle with binge eating and restricting.  I binged last night and I hate myself for that.  I want to be able to restrict so I can lose weight, but instead my depression roars loudly and I eat and eat.  I crave sweets and even when I don't have sweets I look through the cupboards for a substitute.  I found a support group for 8 weeks but that is long as it lasts.  I need something longer to help me.  I wish I could afford to go into treatment for it at a higher level than IOP.  I already did IOP and while it helped, it's not enough with my depression.

KristenHR OP May 19th

@HopefulLife2301

It sounds really frustrating being in the situation you are in.  I can imagine how difficult it is to want and need more treatment and support and not have the ability to get that.  You've done well by posting here.  There are other Binge Eating groups online and can be found on NEDA

I'm glad you posted and shared how you are doing.

HeidisHaven11 May 24th

@KristenHR Thank you so much for sharing this! Binge eating is such a common ED, but it is talked about so rarely! I really hope that more people can get informed about it!