Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pain and Fatigue Management

fairmindedWater1140 December 28th, 2021

Hi everyone! I'm Water and I'm fed up with my pain and fatigue from hEDS. I thought maybe we could gather some of our favourite tips for managing pain and the fatigue that so often comes with it? My favourites are:

• Rest, rest, rest! it's boring, but effective
  • Use all the heat. heating pads, hot water bottles, warm teas, warm baths, all of it!
  • Weighted blanket. This one has been surprisingly useful in helping my joints feel held stable
  • Music! I find it makes everything so much more bearable
  • Podcasts. they make me feel like I have friends without the responsibilities of friends (that sounds a little sad, but oh well)
  • ✨meds✨ as much as I hate having to take them, they're there for a reason

I hope everyone is having a lower pain day, and I look forwards to hearing your favourite tricks!

kenzixo December 28th, 2021

@fairmindedWater1140

Distractions. For example, light walks, calming music, or watching a film.

Writing down thoughts and emotions into a journal.

Cursing helps. It's been proven to relieve pain.

Value the good days and cherish them. Try not to focus too much on the bad days, that tends to get you down fast.

Final tip, weep and sleep! Hang in there and have hope that tomorrow will be a good day.

fairmindedWater1140 OP December 29th, 2021

@kenzixo I love those!! it's so helpful to take time to validate all the emotions that come with disabilities and chronic illnesses

adventurousBranch3786 December 29th, 2021

@fairmindedWater1140. These are some good ideas. I like to use a heating pad and listen to podcasts also. I try to pace my activities too.

fairmindedWater1140 OP December 29th, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786 I'm so bad at pacing! no matter how many times I try, I always seem to overdo it 😣

adventurousBranch3786 December 30th, 2021

@fairmindedWater1140. I hear you. Pacing can be challenging to do.

AffyAvo December 30th, 2021

Cold can help at times too. Sometimes the heat feels good but ultimately makes inflammation worse. I have found that for my neck especially!

ASilentObserver December 30th, 2021

@fairmindedWater1140 thank you for posting this, water <3

bokett0 October 17th, 2022

good ideas, thank you :> will use some of these in the future