Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Epilepsy Awareness Day Masterpost (26th March, 2022)

MyNameIsNicole March 26th, 2022

_1648322006.image.png

Welcome everyone! Today we celebrate and bring awareness for Epilepsy Awareness Day! Many of us have heard the word epilepsy, but who knows what it actually means?

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal (imbalanced) causing seizures or periods of unusual behavior, sensations and sometimes loss of awareness. In order to be diagnosed with epilepsy one must have at least two seizures without a known trigger that happens at least 24 hours apart.

Diagnosis can be done through a neurological exam, blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, lumbar puncture, and electroencephalogram (measure’s brain’s electrical activity).

There are three main categories of seizures: generalized onset, focal onset, and unknown onset. Let's take a look at what each means:

• Generalized Onset seizures: These are seizures that affect both sides of the brain or group of cells are affected at the same time. An example of this is a tonic-clonic, also known as grand mal seizure. This is the one most people know as the person usually has violent muscle contractions and loss of consciousness. Absence and atonic seizures are also forms of generalized onset seizures.
  • Focal Onset seizures: These are broken into two subcategories - aware and impaired seizures. Focal onset aware seizures occur when a person is awake and aware that they are having a seizure (used to be called simple partial seizure). Focal onset impaired awareness is when a person is confused or their awareness state is affected during a focal seizure (used to be called complex partial seizure).
  • Unknown Onset seizures are diagnosed when the beginning of a seizure is unknown. It can be unknown if the trigger cannot be identified or if it’s not witnessed by anyone (i.e. seizures happen at night or in a person who lives alone). It is only later on as more information is learned is it possible to be diagnosed as a focal or generalized seizure.

• Epilepsy can be caused by many different things such as genetics, head trauma, brain damage, stroke, and tumors. People have a higher risk of having epilepsy if they are a child or an older adult, family history of epilepsy, head injuries, drug/alcohol use, vascular diseases, dementia, and brain infections.

Some common signs of a seizure are staring, jerking movements, stiffening of body, loss of consciousness, breathing difficulties, loss of bowel/bladder control, appearing confused or unaware, rapid eye blinking, and falling.

To learn more about Epilepsy as we spread awareness today, visit https://www.epilepsy.com/ or click Here.

References

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/epilepsy/symptoms-causes/syc-20350093

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/epilepsy/evaluation-of-a-firsttime-seizure

This is the masterpost for the event, and the links to the posts will be added once made!

Icebreaker: Do you have or know someone who has epilepsy?

To be added or removed from this taglist, see Here.

@777Bre777 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @Averayne93 @Azalea98 @azuladragon34 @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Colorfulcatsofhope @considerateBunny7436 @considerateParadise6717 @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @killaj0ule @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @OneErased @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @sabeyesofblue3535 @SmolBurrahobbit12 @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @sunshinegiraffe123 @TimidBear @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @WeedyGarden @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Zed786

Many thanks to @wonderfulrainbow817 for drafting this, you're such a blessing to our community❤️

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 26th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Hey hey Nicole, thanks for creating this super informative post, your time and efforts are appreciated greatly. It is certainly great to expand our knowledge. 💜

Sending love to everyone coming across! 💜

MyNameIsNicole OP March 27th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad this was of use to you. Have a nice week ahead Sun💜

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Aw ofcourse, it was! Thanks, lovely! Have an amazing week ahead too! ❤️

MelodyoftheOcean March 26th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Thank you for spreading awareness!

❤️💛💚💙💜

@MelodyoftheOcean

Thank you for being a part of this❤️

MunchieTaters March 26th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Very nice article!💜💜

I have known people with epilepsy. My mother currently deals with seizures, though we're not certain it's epilepsy or another factor.

wonderfulRainbow817 March 27th, 2022

Hey @MunchieTaters. Seizures in general can be hard to diagnose, especially when the factor is unknown at the time. Sometimes the factor may be unknown but later on down the road it becomes known. I hope your mom can find some answers!

@MunchieTaters

Thank you!

As @wonderfulrainbow817 put it, I do hope she's able to get a diagnosis soon. It's hard pinpointing the cause of seizures, but when you do it's easier managing it since the cause is known.

Much love to you and your mum💜

Elleabelle March 26th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

love this post!! amazing that you’re spreading awareness. 💜💜

my best friend has epilepsy and she’s so strong. i love her so much!

@Elleabelle, thanks for sharing with us! I think those with disabilities, disorders, conditions, etc. are some of the strongest people ever!

@Elleabelle

love you for being so sweet💜

your best friend seems amazing, especially with a great person like you by her side!

@MyNameIsNicole

I personally have unknown onset seizures. We get so close to figuring out the cause, but then it ends up a dead end. I hope in the near future I can find the main trigger so I can remain as safe as possible and manage it better.

@wonderfulRainbow817 I hope so too. Sending love and the best wishes❤️

P.s how did your finals go?

wonderfulRainbow817 March 29th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole, they went pretty well. Our college does an A to F scale. I got an A, B, B- and an A- so all in all pretty good

MyNameIsNicole OP March 29th, 2022

@wonderfulRainbow817

those are pretty good, well done! (:

Xatharr March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole thank you for how informative this is! I have epilepsy but I don’t know much about it because I forget most things lol. Was nice to learn more about it

@Xatharr I'm so glad you learned more about Epilepsy. I forget a lot of things too, hopefully this would be easy to remember ❤️

March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole Thank you for the post

Yes, my mid-aged cousin recently had epileptic shocks or seizures one night suddenly.

We took him to a hospital immediately and the doctors said that one of his brain nerves has gotten damaged somehow.

It's been months and he still is on bed rest.

Hoping he and everyone stays safe 🧡

@DonaldDraper

That's really tough, thank you for sharing. I do hope he gets better, and he is supported through his recovery. My heart goes out to him and his family❤️

lucy2 March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Thank you so much for this excellent post about Epilepsy, it is an issue so many of us bravely cope with! ❤️

Sending love

Lucy2

@lucy2

Sending love to you too Lucy❤️

bubbleDrum3448 March 27th, 2022

I was very surprised to see this thread, because I didn't know there was an awareness day for epilepsy!

I developed epilepsy as a result of complex trauma, and it activated under the overwhelming emotional stress in college. I started having grand mal siezures and scans revealed uncharacteristic reactions somewhere in my left prefeontal lobe. I've been on meds for a few years now, and will probably never drive a car.

I'm telling my story because I want to create the awareness of my situation, which seems rare in the epilepsy community. Epilepsy can be activated at any stage in life, even in the peak of health like your mid 20s like me. Brain damage can also come from emotional stress and repeated trauma. Emotional abuse can lead to epilepsy! Exposure to narcissistic abuse can lead to epilepsy!

So please stay safe out there, protect your mind as well as you protect your body. I'm rooting for you all, epilepsy survivors or otherwise!

@bubbleDrum3448

Thank you for sharing your story, it's always nice to hear from personal experience. I'm sorry the trauma caused your epilepsy, and I'm happy that you're thriving regardless💜

So many people have trauma from emotional and physical abuse, and it can lead to worse conditions such as epilepsy. I do hope that we can find peace especially to all those in dangerous and unsafe environments.

Thank you once again, and I'm happy this post reached acrosed to you. Take care (:

Zarram77 March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole I really love these posts. They are so informative and helps us learn something new and gives us basic knowledge about the things.

@Zarram77

I completely agree, the disability support is all about spreading awareness and we have a lot of these posts!

Zarram77 March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole thank you again!!!💓

rommebai000 March 27th, 2022

Thank you for this post as being someone with epilepsy it means allot to me. Seizures are not fun and it is great to know that someone cares. :)

@rommebai000

we care, we see you and we know it's not easy. We're here for you💜

audienta March 27th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Hey Nicole

Thank you for this very interesting post!

I actually do know someone with epilepsy and have seizures myself.

One questions: Are non-epileptic seizures (NES/PNES/FS/FND - there are a lot of names) part of this week as well?

MyNameIsNicole OP March 28th, 2022

@audienta

First of all, thank you for bringing up the knowledge that there are other seizures not related to epilepsy. I appreciate that.

This week is for epilepsy Awareness though, so we're talking all things epilepsy. There might be a post on seizures and non-epileptic sezires though, but the main focus is on Epilepsy ❤️

audienta March 28th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Actually, there is more and more evidence that it is very related. I found a really interesting publication here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/347841257_Psyche_Soma_and_Seizures The text is pretty long, but the main essence is that there isn't much difference found between epileptic seizures that are not caused by a somatic change, like a tumor, and non-epileptic seizures. Both come from a charge that builds up over time and then releases in a seizure.

But of course, it's not the same diagnosis, I totally understand that. ❤️

MyNameIsNicole OP March 29th, 2022

@audienta

this is very interesting, it would be so nice to spread awareness about this in a post.

thank you for letting me know!

audienta March 29th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

I'd be open to write one, feel free to pm me 😉

pandaprincess9 March 28th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

happy late epilepsy awareness day! i'm epileptic, thank you for posting this!!

MyNameIsNicole OP March 28th, 2022

@pandaprincess9

Of course, thanks for interacting!