Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

September Check In

AffyAvo September 2nd

goodbye-august-hello-september-september.gif

[Peanuts characters look off a dock, at the sunset while leaves swirl around them text states GOODBYE AUGUST Hello September]

September can be a shift, some schools are full of people settling into new routines, the weather changes into a new season and pumpkins seem to pop up everywhere. Some of us are also cheering on the Paralympians (check out this post)!

Are you experiencing and changes or stating something this month?

What's a fun activity you are doing this month?

How are you doing? Would you like support with anything?

AffyAvo OP September 2nd

For anyone interested in being interviewed, as well as volunteering to interview someone else there is a form https://forms.gle/MZ1df1FWtJYHQvuy9  Or you can pm @MistyMagic or @AffyAvo

Catch up with other Interviews Here in our Master List!

Want to join the Disability Support Community Team? Find out more Here

@777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @cal1860 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enigmaticOcean8813 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @GreekCatPerson @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @Ofenkartoffel @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @reservedOwl6476 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @tearstruck @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @xxParkerxx @Zed786

Iamwhoiamwhoami September 2nd

@AffyAvo

I suppose I am responding to a little of the first and third questions. I struggle with a lot of things. But this latest issue has kept me off work and off my feet for around six weeks. I have severe back and leg pain that the major contributor to the pain is one disc is on a nerve root on the left side and another disc on a nerve root on the right side . In around two weeks I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon for consultation. I have no family or friends. I can walk a few steps then excruciating pain sets in , sending me back to bed . I have not really bathed since my last day of work. I can only manage a few minutes in the shower but that involves holding onto shower walls while I try to endure the pain while the warm water washes over me. I can barely towel off a little then I hobble to bed. My depression and anxieties are at their peak. My only distraction is here in this community.

I normally keep to my own little corner and write in my ramblings in the 50 plus side. As far as experiencing changes and how I am doing. I am not doing well at all. I have experienced a lot of different things that have created things that most would consider a disability but I have always dealt with those issues and continued on. This lack of mobility is wreaking havoc with my struggles, my severe depression that I have dealt with for nearly 50 years has hit an all time low,my anxieties are on high. Trapped in bed with my thoughts is crushing me.

I will stop whining now. Thank you and take care.

AffyAvo OP September 7th

@Iamwhoiamwhoami Thanks for coming over here gor a bit!

Back issues can be so difficult to manage and it makes sense that being in pain and with limited mobility your depression would get worse and you feel anxious. I hope the neurosurgeon has a good plan for you! Until then, are you finding any things that make it a bit more bearable, passive activities or distractions?

Iamwhoiamwhoami September 7th

@AffyAvo

Thank you for reaching out to me.

Pretty much I am relying on this community for a passive activity plus a distraction. I am making an educated guess plus I am almost hoping it will be surgery as the next step. Otherwise if they want to try different routes I would anticipate a lot more of what I am doing.

I really do appreciate you reaching out.

AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@Iamwhoiamwhoami You're welcome here through that pre-surgery process and beyond!

Iamwhoiamwhoami Tuesday

@AffyAvo

Thank you

StrawberryShaken September 2nd

I'd like some support. I was diagnosed with a kidney infection yesterday and it's been very painful. On top of my usual chronic pain, I'm struggling. I still did my best to get some housework done for my partner before they come home but I'm quite exhausted..

AffyAvo OP September 7th

@StrawberryShaken I hope you're able to get some rest while recovering and the treatment is working!

Is your partner expecting you to do much right now or are you just wanting to do some household chores?

Oh no, thankfully he's always telling me to rest but I feel guilty. I have been on antibiotics and it's helped a lot. Thank you ð¥¹

AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@StrawberryShaken That's good he's supportive and glad to hear you're doing better!

communicativePond1728 September 3rd

@AffyAvo

Are you experiencing any changes or starting something this month?

Yes, I'm hoping to start something this month and am experiencing changes...I'm saying goodbye to the last vestiges of youth and trying to figure out what a new beginning might look like and the heck happened in my childhood, teens and 20s. Also what happened during the pandemic, when I was in my sexual peak but totally isolated and stressed into self harm and eventually losing my housing under shady circumstances.

So there's that while also processing grief and loss, toxic and abusive relationships and navigating the current housing market and life in general as a middle aged woman who arguably never lived a day in her and who has no idea what she wants or who she is...I know men end up in sports cars and messing around with their secretaries but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have a midlife crisis if any while on a serious budget and without work and with trauma.

Anyway there's a business program starting in October I'm interested in, a financial workshop I've signed up for and the usual meditation, hygiene, Feng Shui, Zeng Fu, journaling, music, photography, interior decorating and primal scream and craniosacral therapy I practice.

There's sport, job search and skill sectors of support through an organization I'm looking into as well, so could be biking with a grant to fix my tired and back in the gym to mix up my movement and working or something to keep from going so far into debt that I end up with the mafia coming after my kneecaps.

A fun activity I'm doing this month is drinking white chocolate mochas with pumpkin spice and rocky road bars while reading gossipy novels and helping on 7cups in cafes.

Just trying to embrace and explore with an innocent freedom and freshness the changing seasons, my changing body and the changing times in my life such as finances and sexuality rather than hiding, denying, avoiding, forcing, resisting or relying on anyone or anything outside of myself to determine my inner worth and environment.

I'm doing okay. I would like support with everything, everywhere, all the time lol (Someone at least come do my dishes, cooking and laundry please for the love of all that is holy 😂). I feel like a support animal would be nice but I'm not even sure where to start with that. I volunteered with animals during the pandemic and it was so painful to lose them and it was such hard 24/7 work...animals are such good energy though. 🧐 🐠 🐈

AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@communicativePond1728 That's a lot of complex stuff - soring out our younger selves, abusive relationships, grief, housing difficulties.

With the business program, workshop and your usual activities it sounds like a positive time ahead!

I hope the organization is able to help you with the job and movement.

The mochas and bars sound great! Have you shared the recipes in the Hobby Zone community?

I'm with you on the animals, we have fish, I would like a pet where there could be more of a relationship but for me my allergies are a big barrier.

I wish you well with your empowerment journey!

slowdecline48 September 3rd

Lessee here...

"Are you experiencing and changes or stating something this month?"

If you meant "starting" then yes, I am. Gonna finalize my plan for the land (prepping it for my arrival, etc ) & get a vehicle if possible. If not possible this month then I'll just have to get a ride down there, & bring my tools. One of which I need to get before I go... The trick will be to get a ride back to the town I'm in.

"What's a fun activity you are doing this month?"

Nothing planned for that. I'm a busy man these days.

"How are you doing? Would you like support with anything?"

Tired but that's normal. So are the chronic issues, though they haven't bothered me as much on the last few weeks. I need to get more sleep... Next month I'll be another year older. Am not looking forward to it.

slowdecline48 September 3rd
As my late father used to say, growing old stinks.
slowdecline48 Tuesday
Edit: if I can afford it, I'll go out one Friday or Saturday afternoon this month & find some diversion...that's a rather big "if", however.
AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@slowdecline48 Settling up some land sounds exciting and like a pretty big change!

I also hope you can find something affordable and fun to do!

daydreammemories September 5th

@AffyAvo

Are you experiencing and changes or stating something this month?

yes, im going back to uni for the new semester

i want to rewatch harry potter with my roommates haha

i do yeah, its been hard. but im trying to get the support  i need

AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@daydreammemories I hope you have a good semester!

I've only actually seen 1 Harry Potter movie and read part of a book. I think the series is complete now? It's probably a good time for me do a mini movie marathon over a month or 2.

daydreammemories Wednesday

@AffyAvo

Yes! The series is complete. They even did a reunion haha. 🥰 thank youu

LabeledBPD September 7th

@AffyAvo

strange you mentioned school, I’m not starting it but yes my kids going back now. Hoped it would make him happier but it doesn’t appear so. Neither does it seemed to have helped with waking and sleeping hours.  I hope it changes.

would I like help with anything?

yes lifting him. His getting heavier and taller. Last time i looked i couldn’t find a hoist that was useable in my house due to space. So tired into the first question I am starting that hunt again.

AffyAvo OP Tuesday

@LabeledBPD Oh, I hope you can find a good solution to a hoist, that's a pretty important need!

School starting can be an adjustment, even if we're not the ones going! May you and your family settle into a good routine soon!