Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cataract Awareness!

MistyMagic August 17th

August is Cataract Awareness Month!

AD_4nXfG8-sacXz2nh5TArceM1e73SQEXa-JH2aMa4zKRpKzEousoc5oQ2n0UXLlh8_jA_ckEa1wn9LhX7PtnDsMhNJ1nPy_-N8OKloJKFlzv-H2TuYyF1AeKodm_YAJ6vYHM5NJgAZR-W0JkPLJyjlMrBHf_hnz?key=nzXI8lHCNTqIAWJB-OI-yw

Cataract Awareness Month is an important time to raise awareness about cataracts, a common eye condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Understanding what a cataract is and how to help those affected can make a significant difference in maintaining eye health and preventing vision loss.

What is a Cataract?

A cataract is a clouding of the eye's natural lens, which lies behind the iris and the pupil. The lens is primarily made of water and protein. As we age, some of the protein may clump together and start to cloud a small area of the lens. This clouding can grow over time, leading to blurry vision, difficulty with glare (especially at night), faded colors, and eventually, loss of vision if left untreated. Cataracts are a leading cause of blindness, especially in older adults.

AD_4nXemeous5qp1TF_XJZcjKV4Djaks_4FNDzigEjm0CoGbTxAVtPFg8SYBMuYXRRhOG_R7AE3nrOtTcDp_A375DrnJZ11lt15nqG6Scq2oWi_937Cu9CNq_uRI8Cb8NzQ5Yp04JTNWCvCZx9Mf1CWgPIGd1wnv?key=nzXI8lHCNTqIAWJB-OI-yw
If you think of the eye as a camera, the lens is the piece that focuses the picture.  There are many different types of cataracts, ranging from congenital cataracts to “Christmas tree” cataracts to total white cataracts.  The most common types are nuclear cataracts, cortical cataracts and posterior subcapsular cataracts.  The surgery for all cataracts is almost the same with some modifications for certain types.

What causes a cataract?

The main causes of the most common cataracts include aging, UV exposure, poor nutrition, radiation exposure, long term steroid use and diabetes.  Trauma to the eyes can also cause cataracts. Cataracts are most common among people over 65 years of age, but younger people and even small children can develop cataracts due to trauma or conditions like diabetes or taking certain medications or having other eye-related problems. Cataracts can even be present at birth in some cases, this condition is called congenital cataracts.

AD_4nXd4evYBsF5HnYLCbwxScEpGu8DcWwD7W8i5MhJ3elSgQHGxifqjbRZJyHLhSl5cIh7cBaHaz_ihM8o3eqtVfocaVAxomce_p1-3w8tXCxLpAPGPhst3gImMNn1LiEj_W4bHveQ0oCp8TxsVRFyUEe5xITg?key=nzXI8lHCNTqIAWJB-OI-ywAD_4nXfCUhSefLCpYDZKg5PYtvjOYPUz9TnI3XdhLVrJPNc-kdBa4dBrAL1QVLQFiXBce900rKUMkFCet5T7guQNrt9yP7un64tpCi1GQp8vYa1OE4CA7NLX8ypJGFtVTeTVXBfC1qzzX76iOsLUiz7IQP8-PAk?key=nzXI8lHCNTqIAWJB-OI-yw

Key Symptoms of Cataracts:

• Blurry or cloudy vision

• Increased sensitivity to glare from lights

• Difficulty seeing at night

• Faded or yellowish colors

• Frequent changes in prescription glasses or contact lenses

How do you treat cataracts?

There is no medical therapy for cataracts at this time.  If the cataract or clouding of the lens is significant enough to decrease your vision on the eye chart and interfere with your activities of daily living, hobbies or work, then you can consider cataract surgery and discuss it with your eye physician and surgeon.

Useful Prevention Tips!

1. Raise Awareness by Education: Share information about cataracts, especially among older adults, who are most at risk. Educate about the symptoms, risk factors, and the importance of regular eye exams and check-ups, diet and protection as detailed below.

2. Regular Eye Exams: Encourage people, especially those over 60, to get regular eye exams. Early detection through routine check-ups is crucial for preventing significant vision loss.Eye exams are typically recommended every two years, or more frequently if there are signs of vision problems.

3. Lead A Healthy Lifestyle: Promote a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which may help reduce the risk of cataracts. Foods like leafy greens, fruits, and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial.

4. Use Protective Measures: Encourage wearing sunglasses that block UV rays to protect eyes from sun damage, which can contribute to cataract formation.

By taking these steps, you can help spread awareness, encourage preventive care, and support those affected by cataracts, ultimately contributing to better eye health in your community.

https://www.rnib.org.uk/ 
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-are-cataracts 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cataracts/symptoms-causes/syc-20353790 https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/what-are-cataracts 

MistyMagic OP August 17th

Want to join the Disability Support Community Team?
😍We Need YOU! 🧑‍🦽
Find out more Here

Taglist, Ask to be added or removed HERE
@777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @cal1860 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enigmaticOcean8813 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @greekcatperson @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @Ofenkartoffel @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @reservedOwl6476 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @tearstruck @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @xxParkerxx @Zed786

For anyone interested in being interviewed, as well as volunteering to interview someone else there is a form https://forms.gle/MZ1df1FWtJYHQvuy9  Or you can pm @MistyMagic or @AffyAvo

Catch up with other Interviews Here in our Master List!

audienta August 19th

@MistyMagic

Thank you for this interesting post!

slowdecline48 August 21st

My mother had them when she was alive, in her later years. Apparently not all cataracts cause whitening of the eye, because hers never looked like that. She eventually became almost blind as a mole, though.

This is something I try not to think about, tbh...already know it's coming & I will eventually go blind, too. When that day arrives, I don't want to draw breath or occupy space on the globe anymore.
MistyMagic OP August 21st

@slowdecline48 I am so sorry your Mum lost her sight. Yes, you are right, not all cause the whiteness that many think of as cataracts. I do feel for you though, facing the future can be very hard sometimes and is that where "ignorance is bliss" comes in? 
My thought was to make more people aware and not to trigger or bring you any discomfort, so I apologise for that. 

@MistyMagic No need to apologize. I'm not triggered* at all, just kinda sad about knowing what will most likely happen in later years. But you already know the old law of physics: over time, entropy always increases within a closed system. Human bodies are no exception to that law...I don't think there's any exception to it, anywhere in the universe.

*Am slightly annoyed as "triggered" is one of the words used far too often in 21st-century America. But I guess in 7Cups forums, it makes sense.