Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Birth control influence in depression?

amusingHuman5441 November 23rd, 2016

Hi, I would like to share something. I haven't been actually diagnosed with depression, I just go with my gut and with what I've read about it and I want to tell a part of my story.

When I was 19 I decided to start taking birth control, not only to not get pregnant but because my period is super irregular and painful, I tested two brands and with the second all my issues, emotional and physical seemed to disappear. Last year I quit taking birth control cause I read about the side effects and i didn't wanted to risk myself, but a few months later my nightmare began, all the physical symptoms came back, and then I started to feel depressed as I never felt before. I went back to the doctor and my ovaries and my hormones are completely messed up, so I had to go back to birth control. The doctor said the depression would dissapear along with the rest of the symptoms, but it's not been true at all. I'm still very depressed, and I start having panic and anxiety attacks. There's a lot of contradictory information about this and I'm desperate, i feel that i can't trust the doctors but there's nothing else i can do to fix myself, and there's not even a way of knowing if this is truly related to my depression.

Hopeful0001 November 23rd, 2016

@amusingHuman5441

I am sorry to hear that you're struggling with a lot of these emotional stuff. I am not a doctor so I can't say if there is a significant correlation between depression and birth control but I believe it is listed as a possible symptom. You said you have been to doctors for birth control.. have you been to a doctor for your emotional health yet?

amusingHuman5441 OP November 23rd, 2016

@HalliwellSister

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a low cost therapy yet, like a month ago i started looking and never thought it would be so hard, in my city all the public health services are overloaded and the private ones are way out of my reach in this moment. I know there's a chance depression has nothing to do with me taking the pill, but I'm really confused and I feel like I am being forced to do something I don't want to and that might be affecting other aspects of my health. Thank you for reading :)

@amusingHuman5441

You're welcome. yeah therapy can be so expensive and then finding the right one and being seen and then not even being sure if it is the pill. Have you considered switching to a different BC? Or another form of BC?

amusingHuman5441 OP November 23rd, 2016

@HalliwellSister

In this moment I'm taking it to fix two cysts and an abnormal growth in one of my ovaries, as well as the lack of ovulation, so apparently the only thing that can help me is the pill, other methods are effective to prevent pregnancies but don't work for other issues that the pill does cover, I'm stuck until that get better :/

@amusingHuman5441

oh. :/ I am sorry to hear that.