Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

In case one day you think about suicide...

HealingTalk September 10th, 2022

xTSD0_fhppRkJ9jX83lkKGhw8WbXZBkeGGAAFlMe1y91E47Hnd1hEoed91z1q1472T1OitlBQgefpSnFlI6WG9fnej0kvQH0Pax7dn_y6UhNlZPDdT9zqhb67mVY0_AnfA0LuM-lT-RIIjoNDyqmb-wVdjtXZOeDF6lm90a49TmB8vGNvt4PySgiCg

September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day, an awareness-raising event organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and the World Health Organisation (WHO), with the motto "Creating Hope Through Action: You can be the Light" (watch their video HERE)

For this occasion, I wish to share with you an extract of a frequently quoted article by Jaelline Jaffe, Ph.D., Lawrence Robinson, and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. on dealing with suicidal ideations or urges.

Note: If you are currently experiencing suicidal ideations, go immediately to the 7 Cups’ Crisis Resources page
HERE, where you will find “crisis hotlines” all over the world, where trained personnel can assist you by phone or texting.

In case one day you think about suicide…

If one day you find yourself thinking about suicide, your pain may seem overwhelming and permanent. But there are ways to cope with suicidal thoughts and feelings and overcome the pain.

If you’re having suicidal thoughts

No matter how much pain you’re experiencing right now, you’re not alone. Many of us have had suicidal thoughts at some point in our lives. Feeling suicidal is not a character defect, and it doesn’t mean that you are crazy, or weak, or flawed. It only means that you have more pain than you can cope with right now. But with time and support, you can overcome your problems and the pain and suicidal feelings will pass.

3z4GkYD_vGh3j5usa_wxLzFkG6d77SIMF3uYiLg6z1ceZdT0KXP528PIWm8IGn8rirMKSBpbjPe8Os38S9RsTYVcKXoSZICIHWSrSP69wR1vrQUVd8SLRNTobWlW2XKdW-N2_CddVoPdS55HkpUTaXnuelyA3WIrJCjlelHhMysbltSbeiMRmi9Ghg
Image by: Pan American Health Organization / WHO

Some of the finest, most admired, needed, and talented people have been where you are now. Many of us have thought about taking our own lives when we’ve felt overwhelmed by depression and devoid of all hope. But the pain of depression can be treated and hope can be renewed.

No matter what your situation, there are people who need you, places where you can make a difference, and experiences that can remind you that life is worth living. It takes real courage to face death and step back from the brink. You can use that courage to face life, to learn coping skills for overcoming depression, and for finding the strength to keep going. Remember:

1. Your emotions are not fixed—they are constantly changing. How you feel today may not be the same as how you felt yesterday or how you’ll feel tomorrow or next week.

2. Your absence would create grief and anguish in the lives of friends and loved ones.

3. There are many things you can still accomplish in your life.

4. There are sights, sounds, and experiences in life that have the ability to delight and lift you—and that you would miss.

5. Your ability to experience pleasurable emotions is equal to your ability to experience distressing emotions.

Why do I feel suicidal?

Many kinds of emotional pain can lead to thoughts of suicide. The reasons for this pain are unique to each one of us, and the ability to cope with the pain differs from person to person. We are all different. There are, however, some common causes that may lead us to experience suicidal thoughts and feelings.

Why suicide can seem like the only option

If you are unable to think of solutions other than suicide, it is not that other solutions don’t exist, but rather that you are currently unable to see them. The intense emotional pain that you’re experiencing right now can distort your thinking so it becomes harder to see possible solutions to problems—or to connect with those who can offer support.

Therapists, counselors, friends, or loved ones can help you to see solutions that otherwise may not be apparent to you. Please give them a chance to help.

A suicidal crisis is almost always temporary

Although it might seem as if your pain and unhappiness will never end, it is important to realize that crises are usually temporary. Solutions are often found, feelings change, unexpected positive events occur. Remember: suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Give yourself the time necessary for things to change and the pain to subside.

Even problems that seem hopeless have solutions

Mental health conditions such as depression, are treatable with changes in lifestyle, therapy, and medication. Most people who seek help can improve their situation and recover.

Even if you have received treatment for a disorder before, or if you’ve already made attempts to solve your problems, know that it’s often necessary to try different approaches before finding the right solution or combination of solutions. When medication is prescribed, for example, finding the right dosage often requires an ongoing process of adjustment. Don’t give up before you’ve found the solution that works for you. Virtually all problems can be treated or resolved.

Take these immediate actions

If you ever have the experience of feeling suicidal, please follow these five steps:

Step #1: Promise not to do anything right now

Even though you’re in a lot of pain right now, give yourself some distance between thoughts and action. Make a promise to yourself: “I will wait 24 hours and won’t do anything drastic during that time.” Or, wait a week.

Thoughts and actions are two different things—your suicidal thoughts do not have to become a reality. There is no deadline, no one’s pushing you to act on these thoughts immediately. Wait. Wait and put some distance between your suicidal thoughts and suicidal action.

Step #2: Avoid drugs and alcohol

Suicidal thoughts can become even stronger if you have taken drugs or alcohol. It is important to not use nonprescription drugs or alcohol when you feel hopeless or are thinking about suicide.

Step #3: Move to a safe place and make your home safe

Go to a place where you can feel safe, like a friend’s house or a library. Or a room in your house where you feel safe. If you have to stay at home, keep away from things you could use to hurt yourself. If you are thinking of taking an overdose, give your medicines to someone who can return them to you one day at a time as you need them.

Step #4: Don’t keep these suicidal feelings to yourself

Many of us have found that the first step to coping with suicidal thoughts and feelings is to share them with someone we trust. It may be a family member, friend, therapist, member of the clergy, teacher, family doctor, coach, or an experienced counselor at the end of a helpline.

Find someone you trust and let them know how bad things are. Don’t let fear, shame, or embarrassment prevent you from seeking help. And if the first person you reach out to doesn’t seem to understand, try someone else. Just talking about how you got to this point in your life can release a lot of the pressure that’s building up and help you find a way to cope.

Step #5: Take hope – people DO get through this

Even people who feel as badly as you are feeling now manage to survive these feelings. Take hope in this. There is a very good chance that you are going to live through these feelings, no matter how much self-loathing, hopelessness, or isolation you are currently experiencing. Just give yourself the time needed and don’t try to go it alone.

You can read the full article HERE

You might also be interested in the following video by the suicide prevention organization of Australia:

Link in Youtube: https://youtu.be/MtTRUm86PJ4
Note that the phone numbers shown in this video correspond to Australia. For “crisis hotlines” all over the world, go to the 7 Cups’ Crisis Resources page HERE,

Another enlightening video by the World Health Organization: Click HERE

mytwistedsoul September 10th, 2022

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

So true

This is a good post. Some people think talking about it gives people ideas about it. And I know the policy here- just saying. I just wish it wasn't such a taboo subject

HealingTalk OP September 10th, 2022

@mytwistedsoul

Great definitions. I totally agree.

People with depression are at risk.

We need to be prepared and have in advance a plan, that includes things like delaying a decision, talking immediately with someone, and keeping away from deadly items.

People who live in earthquake or volcanic areas have a plan of what to do immediately in case of an emergency. They even practice often to make it automatic. Something like that.

Talking openly about the nature of those situations and how to prepare for them, reduces the risk.

This is the view of the organizations that deal with suicide prevention, based on their experience and research.

Thank you for your wise and encouraging words!

mytwistedsoul September 12th, 2022

@HealingTalk I used to have to make a daily contract with a psychologist. Every day I had to give my word that I would reach out to him before I did anything - final. It wasn't easy at times but I gave my word. As a kid it felt important to not let him down

Thank you for shedding some light on this

HealingTalk OP September 12th, 2022

@mytwistedsoul

I made a similar agreement with my therapist a few years ago, as an adult.

Thankfully, I don't need it anymore. For the foreseeable future.

Thank you for your kindness and support.

@HealingTalk I'm glad you don't need it anymore ❤️

Tbh - sometimes I still do

Thank YOU for all you do here on Cups. Stay awesome

HealingTalk OP September 12th, 2022

@mytwistedsoul

Thank you!

easyMaple3687 September 10th, 2022

@mytwistedsoul I am speaking at a local event about it and I shared the event on social media. People were so quiet and I believe your reason may be a reason why. I am sharing my journey from Suicidal person, to mental health advocate, author and speaker. I share to inspire hope

@easyMaple3687 Oh wow! Congratulations! I hope it goes well!

I think that alot of people don't understand the thinking behind it. The pain and desperation that lies at the heart of it. Its not really so much that you want life to stop but the pain and sometimes the pain is that great that's the only solution someone can see

I wish you the best of luck on this event and that the inspiration you share reaches anyone who needs it

Stay awesome ❤

pioneeringPlane5536 September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk Thank you for the advice. Many don't realize they aren't alone. There's nothing wrong with asking for help.

@pioneeringPlane5536

Thank you!

You are right!

We should always be ready to ask for help.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk

Not a lot of words at this time to say how good this is, and how needed it is to talk about it. ❤ Thankyou, Marcelo.

Something from my bio, "💛 If you are currently having crisis thoughts (active or passive, or actively harming yourself) *offers hugs*, I know how terrible it can be, please however respect our boundaries as a listener, and personal limits and that 7 cups is not a crisis platform, we do care and therefore ask you to reach out to relevant channels of support, find resources here:- 7cups.com/crisis and do connect with a hotline, you may not believe it at the moment, but you are not unworthy of living, you are not taking space unnecessarily, you are not your current situation neither your current thoughts. Nobody exactly knows, but we gotta keep hanging on tightly, to see it for ourselves when and how does it get better, because it does, *someday*, that much is for sure, if you think this is rock bottom, it couldn't get worse than this, hopefully and yes, only gotta get better from here.

Brave it in this very moment, reach out for help. You owe it to *yourself*. 💛 "

Sending love to everyone coming across! ❤

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Amazing words!

I like how they include and embrace the person, emphasize the temporary nature of those impulses, the possibility of taking such a terrible decision based on false assumptions, the existence of unknown possibilities in the future, and finally, how they put courage in the side of staying alive, and give the best advice: to connect with others and reach for help.

@HealingTalk

Woah you reflected so well to capture the essence, exactly and thankyou! ^^

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Oh, you deserve the praise for such persuasive, life-saving words!

@HealingTalk

Hehe how sweet, however, the real 'praise' will always be someone actually finding a little comfort through these, everything else doesn't matter as much. 🌻❤

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Merit is in the good effort, the noble aspiration, the intention to help.

@HealingTalk indeedioo ❤ (Requested an alert for this thread, hope more people get to see❤)

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Oh, thank you so much!

That's awesome!

HopefulBambi September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk

Thank you for this post

@HopefulBambi

You are welcome!

Thank you for your encouragement!

Stardew3 September 10th, 2022

A very important day, thank you for kind and uplifting words while providing us resources with the linked video.

@Stardew3

I totally agree that it's important to raise awareness about this issue.

I am glad you have found the information and links so valuable.

@witcheslovedilemma

Thank you Dilemma!

I hope so too.

GloriaD September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk

Thank you for this post, HealingTalk, this is so helpful, and much needed 🌻

Thank you for your words, @GloriaD

We need to learn, we need to be prepared...

goldenLion1121 September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk

This is amazing, so factual! Thank you! <3

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, @goldenLion1121

goldenLion1121 September 10th, 2022

Aw no worries! <<<<3

jasishereforallofu September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk This is so important ❤️ I just want to say im here anytime if anyone needs me🙏🏼

You are always putting a great, high-quality effort into supporting our members, @jasmineishereforu

You always show, in different ways, many small and great things that make life worth living.

This kind of Support is the best Prevention.

jasishereforallofu September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk Thank you so much i always try to do my best 😊I have my best intentions💜

You are so dedicated and aware that helps alot of people too💙

@jasmineishereforu

It shows that you care a lot, that you have a powerful drive to help people, and you do it wonderfully!

You are not only very compassionate but also hard-working, creative, articulate, and gifted.

Your contributions have enlivened so much the Forums at the Depression Support Subcommunity and the Anxiety Support Subcommunity...

You are a blessing to this Community!

sparklycomet September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk

❤️

Thank you @sparklycomet !

adventurousBranch3786 September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk. Such a good post. Thank you!

@adventurousBranch3786

Thank you for your kind words, Branch!

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk thanks for the article! I wanted to contribute something so adding these quotes. Dedicated to those who are struggling and in need of affirmation.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhYyHs7P-LzGS5JCMYt-uVZ62EGDi63X_cdQ&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM0j89LmRaECOuIfazCZM3yCpNbw5azoNa2Q&usqp=CAU

Thank you for your wise quotes, @spectacularCandy789 !

They contain the core of the message: that emergencies are temporary, and that, paraphrasing John Lennon, we should always "give Life a chance".

fruityPond7887 September 10th, 2022

@HealingTalk Thank you so so much for this wonderful post. Suicide is never the answer and there is always someone will to listen and there's always support out there for you!

I think it's important to remember that not all suicidal thoughts are considered crisis. Suicidal thoughts can be a spectrum, from active to passive and it's important to know the difference. If you have never had any thoughts of suicide before and aren't sure what to do, always seek medical attention! I have attached some more information below about passive and active suicidal thoughts and how to know the difference.

https://www.biltmorecounseling.com/anxiety/the-difference-b-n-passive-and-active-suicide-ideation/

https://saltlakebehavioralhealth.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-passive-and-active-suicidal-thoughts/

If you are having any sort of suicidal thoughts, please call the Hotline at 988 in America and if you are not in America, here is a list of international hotlines: https://blog.opencounseling.com/suicide-hotlines/

I hope this is helpful! You are all so wonderful <3

@fruityPond7887

Super duper helpful, thanks, lovely. You are an incredibly thoughtful hooman! 💛