Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

6) Ensuring Best Writing Practices

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

After understanding the general requirements to keep in mind whilst submitting your content articles for 7 Cups publication, this discussion highlights some general writing tips to keep in mind when writing content that relates to mental health.

Things to Do:

• Make sure the article is empathetic, kind, helpful & informative (it fulfills the reader who found it), empowering. Replace mental “illness” or “disease” with “condition” or “issue” and soften any other mental health stigma language that might pop up. This helps ensure that your tone is supportive.

• Think of story ideas that will be sharable in social media

• Be concise

• Be conversational and accessible in your writing

• Back up statements with research or facts if applicable (cite sources) - try to confirm facts by ensuring at least 2 different sources mentioning them.

• Include expert quotes and insights -- you can reach out to a psychologist or expert about your story and offer a quote and link to their practice for the collaboration. Make sure their title/expertise is attributed in the article

• Be thorough, don’t gloss over specifics

• Give the reader empathy and hope

• Put yourself in the reader’s shoes: ask yourself what they need out of reading your piece and then deliver that

• Try to combine personal experiences with expert insight to strengthen your piece.

• Consider including friends and family members of people impacted by your topic in your audience.

For more tips on reporting mental health conditions and choosing words carefully, read the American Psychiatric Association’s article here

Other Tips:

The following are general guidelines to help find facts, help link things with 7 Cups as well as outreaching tips for personal stories and expert insight:

• Always try to hyperlink some of your main sources.

• Use authentic reporting websites such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization, or American Psychological Association, etc. for facts and up-to-date statistics. (Can be hyperlinked as mentioned above)

• Use Google Scholar to search for relevant research work. Abstracts usually summarize research findings.

• When outlining your article, consider asking yourself which information and what type of information can be added as a priority. For example, an article about mental health during the pandemic would likely report authentic global statistics and could use published research information.

• When reviewing other resources that cover your topic or something close to it, always ask yourself what can help enhance that available content. How can you ensure you are providing a unique take on the topic? Consider thinking about what is missing that could be worth mentioning.

• 7 Cups has lots of free services, including available self-help guides, subcommunities with forums, and other areas - generally, editorial assistants at 7 Cups help backlink to these resources, but you are welcome to directly mention them if it applies, for instance, mentioning how Sharing Circles can help users cope with loneliness or the lack of support in their daily lives.

• Outreaching for both personal or expert quotes can be done via social media, contact forms of blog posts, or even email considering which information is available. You are welcome to PM @SoulfullyAButterfly if you think a 7 Cups Expert can help provide you the quote or required insight.

• When outreaching for personal stories, introduce yourself and 7 Cups and explain your article topic briefly, and why you think their personal experience could help. Share how you can back-link (link back) to the person’s blog or other resources if they would like that in return for sharing their quote. Ensure that you ask them if they would like their name to be disclosed, or if they would like a pseudonym. Finally, let them know you will share the final published version so they can also share it with their acquaintances.

• When requiring an expert quote, use the same procedure discussed, but consider asking for the expert’s availability. Mention how the expert’s work can aid your write-up and any questions you have. Ask for the expert’s professional practice page link and if they are interested, mention how they can have a published expert profile at 7 Cups (you can CC ayesha@7cups.com if needed).

Things To Avoid:

• The overuse of cliches or corny language

• Making it overly formal or using references most wouldn’t understand

• Using extraneous words/phrases. For example, you don’t have to write, “it’s important to…” If you’re writing it, the reader will assume it’s important. Unless, of course, it really is a surprise that this piece of advice is important - in which case say that

• Forgetting to explain the “why”

• Repeating the same word or phrase often (unless intentional, i.e. in an article about a mantra you might repeat the mantra several times)

• Overusing exclamation points

Activity

Using the information you just learned, write a paragraph (minimum of 100 words) for the article topic “Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic” - as this is only a paragraph and NOT the complete article, state a brief heading which will inform the reader whether your paragraph is about a general introduction or something more specific. Ensure your paragraph contains facts. Please note that you are to mention your sources too, as well as a link to at least one source within the paragraph.

Bonus: Consider using previous discussions to research and use keywords.

Additionally, reply to at least one other student and highlight the strengths of their work as well as areas for improvement.

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

GoldenRuleJG January 24th, 2022

@blissart

Area of improvement is to check the spelling in the last sentence and provide the hyperlink to the Linkedin resource. 3 strengths include great statistics, a great image to engage the audience and a really good closing statement. :)

MoonlightHelper1 March 17th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Problematic levels of loneliness are found in most countries throughout the world. A recent study found that more than 1 in 3 Americans face “serious loneliness” during the pandemic, with young adults and mothers with young children being affected the most. Loneliness is linked to a range of physical and mental health problems. “By nature, humans are social creatures who crave interaction with others. Without it, our mental health can significantly deteriorate,” said Paraskevi Noulas, PsyD, a psychologist at NYU Langone Health. Increasingly, COVID-19 restrictions are being removed, and more individuals are reentering society in ways they may have felt were out of their reach for the last two years. “Balance is really key here, so what mental health providers generally encourage is finding a mix of enjoying time on our own, be it for work or personal pleasure, mixed with pushing ourselves past our comfort zones to reengage more with others” (Noulas).

Gargi07 July 23rd

@MoonlightHelper1 I love the writing and ofcc the highlight words, some quotes and more facts can be added but overall it's good

BlueCup55 April 24th, 2022

@blissart

your article is very empathetic and also gives strength to the reader. Tip: it can be more concise, you did a great job though!

RideaRainbow June 25th, 2022

Very nice topic and lucidly expressed. I do however think that it's a full-fledged article than just a paragraph as was stipulated. The same goes for Fristo.

Countrygirl095 March 3rd

@blissart this is a really good article I like it

SynSavory February 3rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

A Primer for Working Employees

It’s understandable that you’re dealing with a lot lately, especially when it comes to your mental health. Whether you miss talking to friends in real life or miss the pleasantries of travel, there’s a part of you that desires novel and ongoing support.

Today, let’s talk about a series of different coping mechanisms that can help you make sense of the complexities of our world, whether it is acceptance, self-reflection, mindfulness, self-care, and many more. For example, the CDC has mentioned that you can generate more control and reduce fatigue with a daily routine, regular self-care breaks, and reliable sleep.

[100 words]

February 7th, 2021

@SynSavory Very attractive title, and your writing style seems scientific and organised.

An area where improvement is possible- A balance between formal and informal use of language. While formal language looks organised, informal language makes you further connect with the audience. So a balance would be good.

SynSavory February 8th, 2021

@Fristo

I originally had a huge ramble that was more fluffy but I wanted to sound universal if that makes sense. I'll keep it in mind.

FinleyTews February 7th, 2021

@SynSavory Your paragraph has an empathetic opening, followed by an attractive and smooth intro of the content of the article. The link you chose is from a great source as well. I think it can benefit from stating clearly that the article is mainly for those working during the pandemic (it's in the heading but not the paragraph).

@FinleyTews

Yeah, maybe I could have specified in the article - I figured whoever might theoretically click on it would see the title first so was trying to not be redundant - I will keep in mind.

KatherrinneP February 7th, 2021

@SynSavory

It's very interesting how in the first part of your paragraph you are talking with your readers in a very friendly, emphatic way, and in the second part you are talking more formally by sharing with them some information. Well done! <3

@KatherrinneP

Interesting - I didn't really pick up on that. I was aiming for a more universal hook into the reader - and then the deep-dive would be more interpersonal encouraging them to read more.

@KatherrinneP

I will keep it in mind. :)

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@SynSavory love the word choice "primer" and how you also have working employees as your target audience/group addressed - I love the ideas within the paragraph to use coping strategies and perhaps the rest of the hypothetical article would list more details of each of those mechanisms - I can actually see this article shaping up to be very essential and great - good job -- one thing that popped into mind was to rename to add "Coping Primer" - what do you think?

SynSavory February 15th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Yeah. I suppose that might be good.

azureOwl6812 February 20th, 2021

@SynSavory

I loved the way you presented the ways of coping with empathy! Although one thing is that you could have mentioned something related to the working employees too,since it is mentioned in your title. Cheers! :)

SynSavory February 21st, 2021

@azureOwl6812

Ok, I'll make it more clear next time. :P

AnisiaCocanMA March 15th, 2021

@SynSavory

Straight to the point. You've also shown empathy and you've trasmited in few words exacly what you aimed to.

Nice and clear ! I like it !

SynSavory March 18th, 2021

@AnisiaCocanTherapist

Thank you! That means a lot!

FinleyTews February 7th, 2021

Tips for people with mental disorders

While isolation can be devastating for anyone and cause a significant decrease in motivation and well-being, it’s important to note that this period is even more challenging for people living with mental disorders. Disruption in their everyday life, limited access to treatment and medication, lack of support are some of the problems they face. Moreover, some people are quarantined in abusive environments, making it much harder to manage their mental health and increasing the risk of engaging in harmful coping habits. In this article are some tips to cope with loneliness during this difficult time more easily, as well as to support a loved one struggling with this problem.

WendinCaring February 9th, 2021

@FinleyTews

The openning provides hope and invites people to read on. Maybe it can enhance the inviting effect by adding a little bit of data to emphasize how challenging the lives of people with mental disorders are especially during the Covid-19 Pandemic.

@FinleyTews Great audience to include into the topic, and excellent presentation of information. One tip is to not state "in this article" if it is not our own - even when quoting the external page you could say "Mind is an organization that put together a great list of tips" etc.

electricWhisper3694 February 21st, 2021

@FinleyTews

I really enjoyed how the paragraph starts, and how you have talked about the fact that some people struggle lots during this time. What I would suggest however is maybe writing with a little more encouragement eg- fortunately things will get better/ you are not alone ext!

lyricalAngel70 March 8th, 2021

@FinleyTews

I loved the way you have written your response - concise, precise, on point. You also added the link related to coping with loneliness which makes it easier for the reader to quickly go through all the necessary tips. Maybe this response could be improved further by adding factual data & using empathy/hopeful statements towards the reader?

MoonlightHelper1 March 17th, 2022

@FinleyTews

I really like your paragraph! It is thorough with an empathetic tone boosting hope. I like it mentions not only how people that are struggling can cope, but also how people around them can support them. One thing I would suggest is to include more facts backed up by reference.

WendinCaring February 9th, 2021

“Coping with Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic”

Someone said,"It's okay not to be okay." Before the COVID-19 Pandemic, I may have scratched the back of my head, wondering the context. Now the expression has been used more frequently, especially many places across the globe are still in the middle of one form of lockdown or another. Physical distancing entails social distancing on a psychological level. New routines may ease anxiety and worries as days go by. "Not to be okay" may also mean loneliness at a sustained rate(referring to the article "less anxiety and worry about COVID-19, Canadians report sustained rates of loneliness and depression, By Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2020). You realize you are not okay. Now the question is: what can you do about it? Here I am going to share with you a few science-proven techniques.

Azalea98 February 12th, 2021

@WendinCaring

I love the positive tone that runs throughout this whole paragraph it is very inspiring and nice to read! I love the concept of basing your paragraph around a quote, that's really clever!

Prehaps siting your source at the end of the paragraph may make the paragraph read a little better?

Great job! It's a fantastic paragraph ♥️

@WendinCaring this paragraph has a very strong variance of facts and interesting presentation of information which everyone can agree on - I absolutely love your style for the closing - makes me want to ask for the rest of the article!! Excellent

WendinCaring February 14th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you. The cliff-hanger works!

followup March 22nd, 2021

@WendinCaring

Very interesting introduction. Good use of well known catch phrase.

optimisticMoment4139 December 21st, 2021

this work is nicely done , i like the tips

The devastating affects of the pandemic on teenage mental health

Personally, on of the haderest things about the affects of the global pandemic has been the fact I have not been in my school building in over 3 months. In this time I have left the house I'd estimate around 10 times in total, this means not only is my physical health being effected but my social life too. I know my friends, or at least the few I've managed to stay in contact with, are feeling the same way as me. Research shows that 20% of teenage girls ages 11-16 are suffering with diagnosed mental health issues. This is a dramatic change from just a few years ago in 2017 where girls ages 11-16 only had a rate of 13.9% This rise in mental health issues can definitely be attributed to the lack of a social life and a life in solitary many teenagers are currently having to go through. Here are some of my tips to improve your mental health and social life in lockdown: (next paragraph)

@Azalea98 Excellent job at bringing another needed angle (teenagers) onto the table! And a very great way of including an original, personal account to help ensure your own voice combined with great facts! This is another article I can see getting published and being a very great read.

Happy900 February 13th, 2021

"Coping with Loneliness During the Covid-19 Pandemic"

Do you know, what COVID-19 is:

It is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus according to who.int the World Health Organization website

According to the American Psychological Association, website: apa.org, psychological science will play a key roll in ensuring everyone can benefit.

According to the American Psychological Association website: apa.org

Psychological science will be at the forefront of combating vaccine hesitancy brought on by missinformation now that several vaccines have proven to be safe and effective against COVID-19.

In closing I would like to add, talking to someone helps.

So if your lonely, talk to a friend, talk to a listener at 7cups.

Read a book.

Watch movies, on Youtube.

Take an online course.

Ect.

Footnotes:WHO, APA

11820Read February 18th, 2021

@Happy900

Strength: directly mentioning website links so that readers can easily click to check these websites themselves, without having to Google again

What can be improved: the sentences sound more like fragments and they do not flow smoothly enough

11820Read February 18th, 2021

It is never easy being a migrant. In usual situation, it is already generally difficult leaving one's family and home country to stay long-term in a land they may have never been to before. Not only that language barrier sometimes occur, they might also know nobody they can consider a friend, no matter how many compatriots they may meet in the new country. Moreover, although tecnology has enabled them to keep in touch with their families, timezone differences is still a problem, and even the most advanced video call cannot replace human touch. Thus, it is no surprise that in the time of COVID-19 pandemic, migrants are among the people who feel the impact most. When the World Health Organisation (WHO) conducted a survey asking them to rank the impact of the pandemic to mental and physical well-being from the scale of 0 ("nothing at all") to 10 ("extreme"), the average score is 7.5. The study also found that many of them tend not to seek for health care and support due to financial constraint and fear of deportation - a flight or sea travel might increase the risk of contracting the virus. Therefore, in honour of these strong people, 7Cups would like to share some tips to help migrants cope with loneliness during this time.

(WHO source: https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/migrants-and-refugees-say-covid-19-has-dramatically-worsened-their-lives)

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 20th, 2021

@11820Read This is an extremely important take on an aspect of the COVID-19 Pandemic - I can see this being a very much needed article which we could consider publishing via Cups too if interested! Great factual information too - one tip I would suggest is to try use Grammarly to help proofread on the-go (whilst writing) or afterwards.

11820Read February 20th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for your feedback! I'd be much honoured if the article is truly to be written and published here on 7Cups; I also would be glad to co-author it if an interested expert agrees.