Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

3) Social Media Graphics: Promoting Site Content

SoulfullyAButterfly January 24th, 2021

Graphics can be created to support as well as summarize site content on social media platforms that link back to the original content through shares links alongside them. For example, we can create graphics to present our optimized Question and Answer Page or a summary of an expert article.

Through this discussion, we will discuss the process of designing graphics, using image captions and hashtags, as well as posting best practices

(i) Designing Graphics:

To aid the graphic designing process, you can consider using sites that allow you to not only create your own graphics but provide a wide range of templates that you can edit.

Some tips to consider include:

• Know which design size you require beforehand - this may vary based on the social media platform. For example, Instagram offers a maximum resolution of 1080 x 1080 px.

• Use only 2 font designs to avoid going overboard.

• Use contrasting fonts or different text sizes to grab attention and to ensure the main message is conveyed.

• Less is sometimes more: if your design does not require extra backgrounds, images, or design layers, consider going with white space as that helps avoid your content being avoided due to noise.

• Use icons to help graphically summarize your content.

• Consider combining consistency with creativity: ask yourself what your major content can creatively look like as consistency is a core principle of content creation. Consistency also applies to your design (font, colors, etc). For example, an analysis of 7 Cups Instagram can help identify that most of the posts are quotes, affirmations, etc. Note that more foundational blocks can always be introduced into the flow with time.

• Consider adding your logo or site information on your graphic to help strengthen your brand.

• Think of ways to stand out: Research and observe current trends, international events, and other possible content inspirations, but don’t be afraid to think outside the box to trial new creative ideas. For example, 7 Cups hosted a very successful and engaging Mental Health Trick or Treat

Sites that have free editable templates include:

(ii) Image Captions and Hashtags

• Remember that your image caption not only represents the content you are posting about but the brand you represent.

• Consider the length of your caption based on your social media platform. For instance, Twitter limits characters, Instagram can be used for a medium length caption, while Facebook could host longer article-style captions too!

• Some ideas of captions include: summarizing the content, mentioning the main motto of the post, etc.

• Add emojis to connect with your audience.

• Don’t forget to ensure readability by breaking up your longer captions with headings or spaces.

• Questions help engage the audience: never forget to look for opportunities for reflection such as one-word answers to yes/no questions, or other quick icebreakers such as what everyone plans to do at the weekend.

• A call to action is important to ensure further practical engagement. You can remind users about more details about supporting content present in the link in your bio or directly share your relevant link (depending on the social media platform)

• Structure your caption with important information at the beginning, followed by any additional information of interest (such as goals, facts), questions for engagement, call to action, etc - you can style your structure based on your content type.

• Include relevant hashtags and consider using mentions and tagging other users. Researching relevant hashtags involves keeping an eye on the hashtags used by influencers and leading figures and profiles within the industry, looking for trends and patterns, finding related hashtags just like related keywords, as well as trialing different groups of hashtags for certain content types. Last but not least, your brand can aim to start a new hashtag of its own as well! Some websites have tools that can help you target and research hashtags - some examples are included in this external link.

(iii) Posting Time

Many people often wonder when to post their content, and this curiosity is definitely important because posting time does influence engagement and value of the content posted - however, there are no correct rules of guidance.

Rather, posting times should be based on insights on when your audience is most likely to be active - most social media platforms offer these insights for business or creator accounts, alongside insights in regards to other engagement factors.

One excellent feature to utilize to ensure posting time, as well as a smooth flow of content, is to plan content in advance and schedule posts - scheduling is possible through the Twitter platform as well as the Facebook Business Suite for both Instagram and Facebook

Activity

Using your answer to the question in Discussion 2’s activity, create a social media graphic presenting the content and share your graphic as a reply to this post. Creativity is welcome for this task, and you can create any form of content. Feel welcome to use the 7 Cups social media content for inspiration if needed. Reply to at least one student’s graphic as well.

Tip: You can discuss ideas or ask for help in the student discussion and support thread!

Not sure how to add images directly into this forum discussion? Find instructions here

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

AriadneLove October 2nd, 2021

@alexandra0321 using the font like in a smartphone is a great idea, it would level up the graphic!

@richuyulin

Yulin, the 'message' idea is great, we always feel the urge to read messages, so it is a smart technique to call for atention. Your graphic is a perfect example of 'less is more. Thanks to the minimalistic layout, you were able to add more text with avoiding overload. If you would like to you can level up the 'look at' by underlining or bolding keywords like 'good enough' or else. It will make the message in plain text even more accessible. The message itself, the content are beautiful.

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1633193334.png
alexandra0321 September 29th, 2021

https://imgur.com/a/fBA3gXH

Here is my graphic! I was thinking about making an Instagram post, that's why I made two pictures instead of one (although it can easily be published like that on Facebook and Twitter).

I was trying to do something very simple, but I feel it turned out a little bit too simple, and not eye-catching.

I also didn't know where to put the 7 Cups logo without it ruining the design. How would you do that?

Kudos! ❤️

@alexandra0321

Dear Alexandra, your graphic made me smile so much, it is cute, sweet, warm, the bottom line - it triggers emotion and this is essential in SM. The simplicity of the design underlines the content, it is always a great path especially when we expect our audience to use small screens.
There are many ways to add something 'extra' to a design without interfingering with the main concept. (I have made few examples, just for illustration of techniques)

1) Frame. Adding a frame to the graphic can be a great tool for bringing additional colour or shape and highlight the content.

screenshot-2021-10-02-at-19-44-52_1633196713.png

2) Background image. It can be the illustration of the message, a pattern or abstract shape, all can enrich a design.
screenshot-2021-10-02-at-19-18-03_1633196961.png

3. Dimensions. 2D or 3D in graphics often makes it stand out from the crowd.

screenshot-2021-10-02-at-21-08-41_1633201770.png

Placing a logo is often very tricky. It is great that you are thinking about options. While the logo is very important for promoting the brand, it can not overpower the graphic or the message (unless it is a brand promotion). The main guideline is that it should follow the flow of your design. For example, your original design was centred, thus the natural placement of the logo also would be in the centre. When you work for the same brand it usually places logos always at the same spot on each graphic. Consistency is important for professional representation.

Overall you did a great job and asked excellent questions which we always should consider when working with graphics. I hope this answer is helpful:) I wish you luck with your creative designs and hope to see more soon! You are very welcome to try modifying this post using the techniques mentioned above.

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1633202216.png

alexandra0321 October 2nd, 2021

@AriadneLove

Huuuge thanks for the insights and for the time you put in making the examples! I'll definitely use this advice next time. Thank you ❤️

Respectfulparadise77 September 29th, 2021

20210929-150318-0000_1632908091.png

@Respectfulparadise77

Paradise, I love this message and I know it will get a positive reaction on SM. The usage of colour is brave, it might be seen as strong and provocative, however, I think it is perfect with the content. You are using strong words in the content, exclamation marks and energising, loud colours support the concept. When creating graphics for social media we always need to mention the author, account or brand which we are exposing using this graphic. Social Media is a channel for someone's voice, so we need not forget to sign it, so people can come for more. The message is definitely powerful, it can create many reactions (both positive and negative), very often provoking is a great technique to boost engagement. Moreover, I can hear the honest voice behind it and it is very important for people, so they can relate and tap into their own experiences and feelings.

I wonder why have you used capital A for 'And'. What is the idea behind it?

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1633203205.png

ComfortingNutella2030 October 1st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I hope I've done this right😅

7cups_1633116896.png

alexandra0321 October 2nd, 2021

@ComfortingNutella2030

This is so so beautiful! Congrats ❤️

@ComfortingNutella2030

Nutella, this is a beautiful graphic and message. I like how you centered the main message, Placement of all components brings attention to the message perfectly. It would be great if in your future graphics you would add a safety margin (border without content). It may be different for each platform, the very minimum should be 2mm. Heart and 7 Cups are too close to the edge of the graphic. This makes the design feel busy. We want to make sure that the text/important information in our graphic doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall off the edge.
You have used well married colours, you can level up the visual intake by using the graphic from the same theme. My favorite part of your post is the usage of 'Daily - it sends the invitation, come back tomorrow. It would be so easy to place a call for action to sign up/follow with this graphic. Engagement is always a goal in SM and you've reached it with flying colors.

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1633192035.png
JustLikeMellie October 3rd, 2021

@ComfortingNutella2030

Beautiful work!

Clarisse29 October 5th, 2021

@ComfortingNutella2030

this is so amazing! good job!

MarinaLecubet November 6th, 2021

@ComfortingNutella2030

I really like this one, I like the ideas of fall colors for mine also to stay in season.

JustLikeMellie October 3rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

20211003-133304-0000_1633286068.jpg

AriadneLove October 4th, 2021

@JustLikeMellie

Dear Mellie, it looks beautiful in miniature, however unfortunetly it is not readable. Please kindly resubmit your graphics in a bigger format (min 50% of Cups ratio) for it to be accepted. Thank you in advance!

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1633385926.png
emotionalCurrent5586 October 18th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterflyyou-are-enough_1634567236.jpg

TrickyRicky October 22nd, 2021

I like how the paper folds at the bottom

AriadneLove November 1st, 2021

@emotionalCurrent5586

Dear, Current thank you for a beautiful graphic. It has a clear message, well-placed text, and the logo of the cups makes it readable. The colour palette is well married, great job!

ariadnelovenight-theme-cdm-signature_1635794485.png
iwishuwell November 3rd, 2021

@emotionalCurrent5586

i lovee this its soo pretty !!

@SoulfullyAButterfly

https://imgur.com/a/ce8J9dS

@TrickyRicky

https://imgur.com/Mi3lbIo

@TrickyRicky

Software I was using would not let me add 7cups to it but pretend I did please haha I tried

ouiCherie October 22nd, 2021

@TrickyRicky

No worries 👍 thanks for informing us.

Btw, we are right now, can upload image directly here too 🙂

iwishuwell November 3rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

atiwishuwell-1_1635957101.png

atiwishuwell_1635957150.png

i did these two posts on canva.com

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 4th, 2021

@iwishuwell these are amazing. I really like the soothing aesthetic and presentation.

iwishuwell November 5th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

thank you soo much that means a lot

@iwishuwell

Those are cute I like them! very colorful and feminine.

AriadneLove November 17th, 2021

@iwishuwell

I am in love with those graphics! The first one is creative and interactive. 'Why' is a great catcher, while to read all the information we need to turn our head or a screen. If a reader spends more time on a picture it is likely they will remember it or the logo on it longer. You have engaged the audience in a smooth and intuitive way. Amazing job! The Colour palette and placement on both are great. You might consider different font in the second graphic if it is planned to be used in social media which are usually accessed from phones. When targeting an audience on SM we need to make sure that the graphic is readable on the majority of screens.

_1637172498.AriadneLoveNight theme CDM signature.png

GoldenNest2727 November 6th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727

Darn, I've got too much white space. LOLOLOL. It didn't look like that on my tablet. It was huge and it filled the whole page.

@GoldenNest2727

Looks good, you probably didn't check the size of the image. I like it!

I couldn't get any of those options to create going so I used what I had, I had to do it from scratch.

@MarinaLecubet

Wow, I could never create one of these things from scratch! I have no experience so take this with a grain of salt, but I found those meme template sites the easiest to use. I used Canva for the two I did, but the meme sites are easier. Lunapic is another easy-ish one. You can find templates on Pexel and Pixabay too. You might already know all of that, so sorry if it's a repeat. Just trying to help since I struggled to make mine.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Here's my assignment, thank you.copy-of-untitled-8-1-1-1-1-1_1636166077.jpg

@MarinaLecubet

I love your heartfelt message!

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 6th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet great work! this is a very important message.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you, I appreciate that.

i-m-not-afraid-to-sit-alone-because-i-know-what-i-bring-to-the-table_1636166274.png

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 6th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727 Powerful message with a unique presentation! I really like it

@GoldenNest2727

That's clever, did you come up with that?

GoldenNest2727 November 9th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet

No, the photo is from Pexel. I just cropped it and added the text. The quote is something that my grandmother has always said. I just changed it a little to modernize it. The infographic from my previous attempt is all mine (and Canva), but I still can't figure out how to get rid of the white space.

I have zero artistic ability! Even my stick people look like a mess.