Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

3) Social Media Graphics: Promoting Site Content

SoulfullyAButterfly January 24th, 2021

Graphics can be created to support as well as summarize site content on social media platforms that link back to the original content through shares links alongside them. For example, we can create graphics to present our optimized Question and Answer Page or a summary of an expert article.

Through this discussion, we will discuss the process of designing graphics, using image captions and hashtags, as well as posting best practices

(i) Designing Graphics:

To aid the graphic designing process, you can consider using sites that allow you to not only create your own graphics but provide a wide range of templates that you can edit.

Some tips to consider include:

• Know which design size you require beforehand - this may vary based on the social media platform. For example, Instagram offers a maximum resolution of 1080 x 1080 px.

• Use only 2 font designs to avoid going overboard.

• Use contrasting fonts or different text sizes to grab attention and to ensure the main message is conveyed.

• Less is sometimes more: if your design does not require extra backgrounds, images, or design layers, consider going with white space as that helps avoid your content being avoided due to noise.

• Use icons to help graphically summarize your content.

• Consider combining consistency with creativity: ask yourself what your major content can creatively look like as consistency is a core principle of content creation. Consistency also applies to your design (font, colors, etc). For example, an analysis of 7 Cups Instagram can help identify that most of the posts are quotes, affirmations, etc. Note that more foundational blocks can always be introduced into the flow with time.

• Consider adding your logo or site information on your graphic to help strengthen your brand.

• Think of ways to stand out: Research and observe current trends, international events, and other possible content inspirations, but don’t be afraid to think outside the box to trial new creative ideas. For example, 7 Cups hosted a very successful and engaging Mental Health Trick or Treat

Sites that have free editable templates include:

(ii) Image Captions and Hashtags

• Remember that your image caption not only represents the content you are posting about but the brand you represent.

• Consider the length of your caption based on your social media platform. For instance, Twitter limits characters, Instagram can be used for a medium length caption, while Facebook could host longer article-style captions too!

• Some ideas of captions include: summarizing the content, mentioning the main motto of the post, etc.

• Add emojis to connect with your audience.

• Don’t forget to ensure readability by breaking up your longer captions with headings or spaces.

• Questions help engage the audience: never forget to look for opportunities for reflection such as one-word answers to yes/no questions, or other quick icebreakers such as what everyone plans to do at the weekend.

• A call to action is important to ensure further practical engagement. You can remind users about more details about supporting content present in the link in your bio or directly share your relevant link (depending on the social media platform)

• Structure your caption with important information at the beginning, followed by any additional information of interest (such as goals, facts), questions for engagement, call to action, etc - you can style your structure based on your content type.

• Include relevant hashtags and consider using mentions and tagging other users. Researching relevant hashtags involves keeping an eye on the hashtags used by influencers and leading figures and profiles within the industry, looking for trends and patterns, finding related hashtags just like related keywords, as well as trialing different groups of hashtags for certain content types. Last but not least, your brand can aim to start a new hashtag of its own as well! Some websites have tools that can help you target and research hashtags - some examples are included in this external link.

(iii) Posting Time

Many people often wonder when to post their content, and this curiosity is definitely important because posting time does influence engagement and value of the content posted - however, there are no correct rules of guidance.

Rather, posting times should be based on insights on when your audience is most likely to be active - most social media platforms offer these insights for business or creator accounts, alongside insights in regards to other engagement factors.

One excellent feature to utilize to ensure posting time, as well as a smooth flow of content, is to plan content in advance and schedule posts - scheduling is possible through the Twitter platform as well as the Facebook Business Suite for both Instagram and Facebook

Activity

Using your answer to the question in Discussion 2’s activity, create a social media graphic presenting the content and share your graphic as a reply to this post. Creativity is welcome for this task, and you can create any form of content. Feel welcome to use the 7 Cups social media content for inspiration if needed. Reply to at least one student’s graphic as well.

Tip: You can discuss ideas or ask for help in the student discussion and support thread!

Not sure how to add images directly into this forum discussion? Find instructions here

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 9th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727 you can PM me a link to edit the Canva graphic and we can work on it together if you would like

GoldenNest2727 November 13th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

7-cups-edit_1636818684.png

MarinaLecubet November 15th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727

Golden why don't you make the 7 cups logo smalle, or make one of your own, or put your name instead?

@SoulfullyAButterfly

That is our updated collab. I couldn't figure out how to share it through PM/chat. What do you think?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 13th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727 this looks superb now! very well done

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Couldn't have fixed it without your help. Thanks a bunch!

MarinaLecubet November 14th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727

HI THANKS FOR EXPLAINING. :)

But I was referring to the text to the image, The graphic flowed nicely and it touches you.

GoldenNest2727 November 15th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet

Yes, I added the text. I used a template an Instagram template on Canava. I added the image from Pexel then I just typed the rest in the text boxes.

@GoldenNest2727

I have some experience and may be able t help you, however I'm on a Kindle right now and can't get on Canva unfortunately.

It looks fine how it is. If you're not completely happy with it you can change the original font around and add a logo and more text.

Hi again, sorry!

Sorry, I meant the text in the graphic.

@MarinaLecubet

I like it, but I appreciate the feedback and will take it on board. Hmmm....if I remember correctly, though, you might be the member who is a graphic designer, so maybe you're right. It's something to think about.

MarinaLecubet November 18th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727

Not really, but I do guide better than I practice. Lol

I've studied design but just vocational, I have trouble with simpler designs. I usually like to complicate myself.

AriadneLove November 17th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727

Nest, I am truly astonished. The very smart way to present Paths at 7 Cups to the audience. An inspirational quote works so well, that if there would be a CTA, I would click it myself 😋 If you are not already a professional, you definitely can consider the career as a digital marketer.

You have used colourful pictures, so it was smart more to keep a white frame adding black text. You are giving information space and highlights. Font, placement all good. I would love to add their CTA like 'sign up for free' etc Would be amazing for Cup's channels.
AriadneLove November 17th, 2021

@AriadneLove @GoldenNest2727

(feedback to 'I am not afraid...' graphic)
_1637173116.AriadneLoveNight theme CDM signature.png
ouiCherie November 15th, 2021

Thank you Rose @WhiteRoses25 💜

Yes, I remember this pretty graphic you made. @AriadneLove has detailed eyes for graphics and she will help with input for your future graphic designing.

MarinaLecubet November 14th, 2021

I finally got into one of the provided sites. Here's another one.

Still having fun with it.

pablo_1636933428.png

@MarinaLecubet

Very nice! I still love that message because it's so true.

ouiCherie November 24th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet

Couldn't agree more with the message! I hope you enjoy creating graphics to communicate a message? 🙂

@AriadneLove will help with the input for graphic designing 💜

amazingNutella24 December 5th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet

Oh my, I love it! I absolutely adore the simplicity of the background and how powerful the message is 💜 Spot on, Marina! Well done!

Vallabhibirdie November 18th, 2021

screenshot-2021-11-18-20-44-00-002-com-canva_1637248758.editor~2.jpg

Vallabhibirdie November 18th, 2021

screenshot-2021-11-18-20-51-42-150-com-canva_1637249122.editor~2.jpg

MarinaLecubet November 18th, 2021

@Vallabhibirdie

That's nice valla, have you thought about making the text smaller and placing a box behind it. Signing your name or just writing "anonymous" would nice. I forgot to do that.

Vallabhibirdie November 22nd, 2021

@MarinaLecubet

Thank you for enlightening me about my mistakes. I will be keep them in mind.

Vallabhibirdie November 23rd, 2021

screenshot-2021-11-23-23-07-58-556-com-canva_1637691091.editor~2.jpg

ouiCherie November 24th, 2021

@Vallabhibirdie

😍 cool design Valla!

Vallabhibirdie November 24th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Thank you 🙏

29amy November 27th, 2021

Here it is!

https://www.canva.com/design/DAEw8QPTmm4/Zqji4SJ86DdqxtRE1ZkB6w/view?utm_content=DAEw8QPTmm4&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton

ouiCherie December 2nd, 2021

@29amy

Important message there 😊 and the color combination is sweet. If you want, you can reach out to @AriadneLove for further graphic feedback and input.

Feel free to PM me or any Mentors available if you need any information during the program. All the best Amy! 💜

AriadneLove December 13th, 2021

@29amy

Amy, you have done so much work with your graphic. I appreciate your efforts and I know how tough it is to fir so much content into a little graphic square and to make it not only readable but fit. First of all, you've gone the extra mile with translating Cups logo into elements of your design. Very well done! Right on the spot, I want to mention please pm me if you will feel like learning how to modify the original cups logo into different styles, colours etc in Canva (would be glad to assist). The content (all of the 4 messages) are of high quality. Very valuable and also prompt to engage. Nevertheless, 4 messages is a lot in one graphic for social media channels. It might be considered as information overflow. You would not lose for sure if you divide the content into several graphics. How do you think you could divide or simplify it?
I must compliment the placement of all details, even it is very abundant it is still coming together. Even the graphical brunch correlates with the brunch on the photo. Shapes, forms, colours ae all married in a masterful way!

I am looking forward to your answer and moe of your works💜.

_1639356621.AriadneLoveNight theme CDM signature.png

ouiCherie December 2nd, 2021

@CryBaby997

That's reminded me of a quote, "Simplicity is a great virtue". Simple but sweet!

If you want, you can reach out to @AriadneLove for further graphic feedback and input. Feel free to PM me or any Mentors available if you need any information during the program. All the best,Baby! 💜

AriadneLove December 12th, 2021

@CryBaby997

The graphic is very poetic and beautiful, perfectly synthesised with the message. All fonts are great! It is not easy to use different fonts and marry them, underline accents while keeping them readable and as the one creation. You have done it masterfully! The finesse of the flowers ads the sense of delicacy and fragility to self creates an association that we are something we should take care of. This is an exquisite effect. 7 Cups logo is a bit close to edges. We should always keep at least 3-5mm between the elements and the edges of the project. Also, if the message contains one sentence we usually avoid using full stops. (Though we mase use question and exclamation marks to add the emotion to the message)

I hope to see more of your works!

_1639320144.AriadneLove CDM signature.png
amazingNutella24 December 5th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Soul, thanks for yet another great activity 💜 I'm doing graphics for the first time, haha. Hope it's alright!

xnpQY40gOIJRh0p9tY1sbwcoXBpXD0H5go-k94fPUFVBpNyHnHRLZIAYSBnpOFUkiM3Hc52-3X8JKYW12JI4O2361Tp1vWfgXsoFfrjuzV4ckHv4zOPkMHyvfZ8KPx5tMnByORrQ

@amazingNutella24

Nutella, you have a great eye for the psychology of colours and esthetic! The picture you have used in the background is warm, nourishing and calming, an amazing find. At the same time, this background is very challenging when it comes to the colours of the text, as not many colours would maintain readability and contrast (black and white) colours would kill the softness of the pallet The deep chocolate you've used is ideal.
znimok-ekrana-2021-12-12-o-17-23_1639323519.51.png The logo placement is a bit asymmetrical. In this concept, I would suggest mirror placement like on the picture on the right, repeating the angle you've already used. Or linear placement (always a safe choice) when you go with the content following the line (picture on the left). znimok-ekrana-2021-12-12-o-17-24_1639324017.02.pngIt is also added to the balance if proportions are kept symmetrical. Graphic designs have separate elements (text, pictures, graphical elements, signs etc) but it is important that they are in symbiosis. Nature might be a great example and a perfect source for inspiration.

I think you have true potential in graphic creation! Struggle to believe this is your first graphic. I would be glad to support you with exploring graphics, please do not hesitate to nudge me:)

Hope to see more of your creations very soon💜💜💜

_1639324192.AriadneLoveNight theme CDM signature.png

@AriadneLove @amazingNutella24

Nutty, I am sorry, text and pics jumped after posting. The 1st pic is mirroring, 2nd is lining.:)
amazingNutella24 December 14th, 2021

@AriadneLove

Aria, oh my, let me just say it first, I was so excited when I found this tag and even more excited when I found this tag was by you 💜 I can't thank you enough for the elaborate feedback! As for the colours, I had to put it through hit and trial to find that deep chocolate brown. I tried black but it did not really sit well, it almost looked out of placed or forcefully placed, haha. Thanks a lot for noticing that! About the asymmetrical logo placement, thanks a lot for the image explanation too! I'll surely work on it and poke you about it real soon 💜 And I will make sure to tag you in the rest of my work over the Content Volunteer Team forum! Thanks a bunch again, Aria! You're amazing in every role you're in 💜

KatePersephone December 20th, 2021

@amazingNutella24 i love it! the entire feeling it gives is so heartwarming and welcome 🥰

AriadneLove December 13th, 2021

@brightSunset61

@brightSunset61

Sunset, I love how the earthly colours and a tree bring us a sense of nature. It perfectly resonates with the text message, that let go and trust the natural order of things. The only thing with colours I would love to see Cups logo without white background. Please pm if you have trouble with making an invisible background, ease pm if you have trouble with making an invisible background. I enjoy the placement and fonts in your project, all are readable, effective and well balanced.

I am not sure how to interpretative the 'you are enough' within your concept. Do you mean it is as the title of the project or as a second message in your graphic, or else?

_1639355398.AriadneLoveNight theme CDM signature.png
Zahraa000 December 7th, 2021

_1638881740.20D48054-846D-4234-9BE4-4BA7EA09FC6F.jpg