Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

11) Headlining and Sub-Headlining Effective Content Pieces

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Article titles (headlines), as well as subheadlines, are one of the first things a reader reads.

In this discussion, we will understand effective strategies to write headline titles as well as subheadlines to these titles.

Some general tips include:

• Avoid long article titles: try to fit the title within 62 characters or limit it to 5-7 words.

• Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When” as these are catchy and add to curiosity.

• Use Numbers - numbers ensure the availability of organized information, and are generally liked: using Odd Numbers in the title has helped in terms of SEO. Remember to write the number itself (5 instead of five).

• To add specificity, consider using “the” before the number.

• Provide an answer to why people should click and read your content: words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons” all help provide a rationale.

• Include the word “Guide” where applicable.

• Consider using emotional adjectives that describe the topic. For example, “essential”, “free” etc.

• Consider outlining Negative aspects - spin this to meet mental health content goals. For example, The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression.

• Use common words to ensure people understand and grasp the topic while finding the title simple

• Consider using a “Things I Wish I Had Known” approach to content if applicable.

How to test your headline as being unique:

Copy and paste your headline with quotation marks into the Google search bar. (e.g. “The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression”) - if the results come back as “no results found”, your headline is unique!

Helpful Resource: Useful Title Capitalization Tool

Note: The bottom line to success in terms of marketing and content is to ensure that your content body reflects the great headline/title. It might be worth considering to write final titles after the content body.

Subheadlines: Effective subheadlines summarize the content body while also linking it to the title.

Activity

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

(Edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly: 12/2/2021 to clarify "subheadline" instead of subheading)

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

Jish07541 February 8th, 2023

@SunshineNaina

The heading is creative, catchy and professional. One tip to improve is to mention the holiday season as well, as this is meant for that particular time. Subheading is much more interesting and promting to read. Good job.

YourCaringConfidant February 16th, 2023

@SunshineNaina I love your subheadline!

Jish07541 February 8th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Headline: Enjoying Oneself during the Festive Season

Subheadline: 6 ways one can cope with lonliness during the holidays

YourCaringConfidant February 16th, 2023
@SoulfullyAButterfly
Propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.
New title proposal: "Servicing Others is the Cure For Holiday Lonleliness"

GloriaD February 19th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

Hey Desiree, nice to see you here in the CDM program as well ⭐ You have an interesting alternative approach to the current title!

1) However, I was a bit confused about what "servicing" means ... Do you mean "serving"? If yes, then according to my observation of the article, perhaps serving others could be replaced with something else, as there are tips not necessarily related to serving others (for e.g., Memories, Hobbies & Distractions, etc.). Let me know if I have misunderstood the term you used 😊

2) Also, I'm not very sure about using the term "Cure" because we were suggested to not write about advice, but to focus on tips, suggestions and related terms. Perhaps we can clarify this point with a mentor 🌻

3) Do check the spelling of "Loneliness", though I'm sure you will be rechecking grammar for the actual article 💛

YourCaringConfidant February 19th, 2023

@GloriaD Hey! :) So, I chose the word "servicing" for a reason. I believe the whole purpose of being put here on this Earth is to be of service to others... service means to help people who need assistance, right? So if that is what it means and I believe we here put here to be of service then I thought that word would be more appropriate to use. Hopefully that clears up why I selected that word. Anyway, you are exactly right we do not give or write advice so maybe the word "cure" is a poor selection of word used. I could have simply used the word "combat" loneliness but, once again, I chose the word cure because I believe being kind, servicing others, volunteering, etc are all things we can do to help ease feelings of loneliness and is good for our well-being and health. The way I see it is if we are selfless and spreading kindness and fulfilling our purpose in life (my opinion) then in a sense it can be a "cure". PS: And thank you for pointing out that I misspelled loneliness. It was just a spelling error on my end but, unfortunately, I have no way to edit my response on here. :) I greatly appreciate your response to me and thank you for taking the time to point ways in which I could have done better. I take them into consideration but there are reasons why I opted to use certain words for what I was trying to convey. You are amazing though and thanks again! <3

GloriaD February 20th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

You are welcome 😊 Thank you for explaining your reasons! I mentioned servicing and cure also because we are considering the perspective of the audiences, whether they can understand certain terms we use. But of course, we could always discuss with mentors regarding this - a way to convey what we feel, help the audience and follow 7cups guidelines 🌻 I love your passion for mental health and helping others, I wish you good luck!

GloriaD February 19th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I remember that I had to focus on capitalization in my psychology essays & references at university and I almost forgot about it for the current article writing assignment .... The capitalization tool is something new to me though, so thank you for that!

Alternative title for "Coping with Loneliness During the Holidays", according to APA Style - "6 Ways to Deal With Loneliness During the Holiday Season"

Raspberrycheesecake March 10th, 2023

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheading for this published article at 7 Cups.

Enjoy the holidays without feeling lonely

• Practicing gratitude
  • Get connected!
  • Helpful tips on gatherings and how to stay safe
  • Help others in need
  • Try a new hobby
  • Make memories
Angelzz127 April 17th, 2023

@Raspberrycheesecake

i love how to point and simple the tiltes are and there are a lot of information for the readers as well.

Wildarkberry October 19th, 2023

@Raspberrycheesecake

Very well representing the content with the points.

Healthylistener0123 March 20th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Care mindfulness during holidays

Create connections in the holiday

Spread happiness through holidays

ivorySea989 March 23rd, 2023

@Healthylistener0123

Great suggestions, however I'm not sure which is the main heading and which is the sub heading

Skansly March 23rd, 2023

@Healthylistener0123

great just simplify your title so that anyone can understand cause holidays is common for all so it should be understood by anyone at a glance.

Clarezg October 1st, 2023

@Healthylistener0123 I love you title it's so concise. To improve I think the other three worlds in your title can also be capitalized

Clarezg October 1st, 2023

@Clarezg words*

ivorySea989 March 23rd, 2023

Activity:

'Tis a Season Not to Be Lonely

Tips to overcome loneliness during the holiday season

SilverSeastar August 8th, 2023

Hello, @ivorySea989 💙
Great work on your title and subheadline; festive and creative!

Skansly March 23rd, 2023

4 essential things make relationship work

introduction

what does your partner want

your capability

ways to shorten the gap

mistakes one should avoid

VinylFly April 28th, 2023

@Skansly Good job! I like how you've formatted your article as a list. That makes it much easier to read.

Angelzz127 April 17th, 2023
Living Well with a Disability:-

-Learning to adapt with life everyday
-Learning to accept your disability
-Explore techniques that reduce the impact of your disabilities on your life
-Discover activities that give you a sense of purpose
zaatarHoney April 26th, 2023

@Angelzz127

These are great! Your headline is simple and warm, and your sub-headlines are informative. I already want to read this! ♥︎

blindDaisy9121 June 30th, 2023

@Angelzz127

Good sub-points. It's a very good topic. You can put a catchier title.

zaatarHoney April 26th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Complex-PTSD: Healing Made Possible in # Steps

What is Complex-PTSD?

Well, that explains a lot but what does this mean for me now?

Will I ever heal from my past?

VinylFly April 28th, 2023

Loneliness and Holidays During Covid

How to cope with loneliness during the holidays in these unprecedented times

Practicing Gratitude

Connecting With Others

Getting Together While Socially Distancing

Giving Back to Your Community

Distracting From Negative Thoughts

Acknowledging Your Feelings

kindEyes9789 May 1st, 2023

@VinylFly Great job on the proposed title and subheadlines! Here's my feedback:

I love the subheadlines. The title is clear and concise, but I think it could be improved by including emotional adjectives to better engage the reader. You can also use numbers in the title, for example: 6 Ways of Fighting Loneliness During the Covid Holidays. With a few tweaks to the title, I hope it can be more effective in connecting with the readers. Good luck!

starsnnights June 24th, 2023

@VinylFly

Hey your title as well as the subheadline are very simple and to the point. I like the fact that you have made them catchy yet very simple so that people would try and read the article.

kindEyes9789 May 1st, 2023

Combating Holiday Loneliness: 5 Ways to Find Connection

Subheadlines:

Virtual Gatherings

Gratitude Practice

Creative Outlets

Outdoor Activities

Community Support

walkalot June 13th, 2023

@kindEyes9789

Hi KindEyes, I believe the sub-headline is supposed to be the sentence that comes directly after the headline, which is different from section headings. Nevertheless, your section headings are good, but I still think you are also supposed to provide a sub-headline.

walkalot June 8th, 2023

Proposed new title: "6 ways to cope with loneliness during the holidays"

Sub-headline: "Holidays, while fun, can also be challenging or sadness inducing. Mitigate the negative feelings by using these well-tested strategies."

starsnnights June 24th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

"A Helpful Guide: Things I Wish I Had Known About Navigating Loneliness During the Holiday Season" (Title)

"Discover 6 Effective Ways to Enjoy the Holidays Despite Loneliness" (Subheadline)

JusticiaPrimalDorogo June 24th, 2023

@starsnnights

The titles are according to the rules. Just, try to keep them within 62 character limit.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

H1 The top 6 ways to battle loneliness on holidays

H2 Be grateful for the people in your life

@JusticiaPrimalDorogo

H2 correction Why you should be grateful for people in your life

blindDaisy9121 June 30th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

"7Cups Community - We're here to listen! "

Subheadings-

1. About 7 cups and what we can offer (Listeners, Members, Experts)
  2. 7 Cups community guidelines
  3. Forums, Group chats
  4. 7 cups academy, training and certification
  5. How does it feel to be a part of it.

SilverSeastar August 8th, 2023

Propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

• Title:
    • Navigating Holiday Blues: Find Joy and Connection in Isolation
  • Subheadline:
    • The 6 Uplifting Ways to Transform Loneliness and Embrace the Festive Season
Mari228 August 11th, 2023

@SilverSeastar

Overall love the title and sub headline ideas. Funny enough I was just thinking of possibly Blues into the title as it’s catchy and people typically associate that word with feelings of loneliness and sadness.

One way to improve it is to shorten the words in the title a bit such as choosing either connection or other. Otherwise the words are creative.

Mari228 August 11th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Headline: Rekindling the Heart from Holiday Loneliness.
Sub-headline: Tips to get into the holiday spirit.

SnowTabby August 12th, 2023

@Mari228

I like where you went with this. It definitely give most of the right impression, and leads me to the article basics. It doesn't, however, give me anything about it relating to Isolation or Covid, which is important because of the last point about Memories. It could also use a bit more guidance from the points made in this discussion: using numbers, "guidance", etc.
Overall, it makes sense and I do like it.

sellistens August 21st, 2023

@Mari228

I really like how you are giving a warm welcome to readers by using the words "heart" and "holiday spirit". Very well done!