Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

11) Headlining and Sub-Headlining Effective Content Pieces

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Article titles (headlines), as well as subheadlines, are one of the first things a reader reads.

In this discussion, we will understand effective strategies to write headline titles as well as subheadlines to these titles.

Some general tips include:

• Avoid long article titles: try to fit the title within 62 characters or limit it to 5-7 words.

• Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When” as these are catchy and add to curiosity.

• Use Numbers - numbers ensure the availability of organized information, and are generally liked: using Odd Numbers in the title has helped in terms of SEO. Remember to write the number itself (5 instead of five).

• To add specificity, consider using “the” before the number.

• Provide an answer to why people should click and read your content: words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons” all help provide a rationale.

• Include the word “Guide” where applicable.

• Consider using emotional adjectives that describe the topic. For example, “essential”, “free” etc.

• Consider outlining Negative aspects - spin this to meet mental health content goals. For example, The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression.

• Use common words to ensure people understand and grasp the topic while finding the title simple

• Consider using a “Things I Wish I Had Known” approach to content if applicable.

How to test your headline as being unique:

Copy and paste your headline with quotation marks into the Google search bar. (e.g. “The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression”) - if the results come back as “no results found”, your headline is unique!

Helpful Resource: Useful Title Capitalization Tool

Note: The bottom line to success in terms of marketing and content is to ensure that your content body reflects the great headline/title. It might be worth considering to write final titles after the content body.

Subheadlines: Effective subheadlines summarize the content body while also linking it to the title.

Activity

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

(Edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly: 12/2/2021 to clarify "subheadline" instead of subheading)

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

SoulfullyAButterfly OP August 10th, 2021

@explore1000 loving the creativity!

RainyThoughts August 10th, 2021

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Article Title: 5 ways to feel less lonely during Holiday Season

Subheadlines:
- Practice gratitude
- Connect with closest people to you
- Suggestions on Social Distancing events
- Volunteer
- Do activities (alone or with someone)
- Acknowledge your feelings

explore1000 August 11th, 2021

@RainyThoughts

I love the original thoughtfulness in your response!

Damonchandio August 15th, 2021

@CryBaby997 Good One.

considerateOrange2567 August 30th, 2021

@CryBaby997

Great titles! I love how you split 6 into 5 + 1 so they could be odd numbers 🤣

Damonchandio August 15th, 2021

Title: A Guide To Explore Yourself In Covid

SubHeadline: 6 Surprising Ways To Explore Yourself In Covid

amomtessa August 19th, 2021

@Damonchandio
amazing title and subheadline. good job.

Train1 April 7th, 2022

@Damonchandio

It is great how you used the word guide in your title. It gives the reader an idea that the article contains some professional knowledge.

The word surprising indicates that there could be something out of the ordinary contained in the article.

Well done.

amomtessa August 19th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Dealing with the holiday blues

The 6 engaging ways to eliminate loneliness

explore1000 August 20th, 2021

@amomtessa

I really like your titles/subtitles because they are consise, yet unique.
Good job! ❤️

AriadneLove August 24th, 2021

@amomtessa
Tessa, those are a great Title and subtitles. The headline is clear, it engages, it is well-balanced. Headline appeals equally to people's intellectual, empathetic, and spiritual spheres. Also great job with avoiding passive language. It is also a nice number of words, however, you might increase the number of characters to boost your rankings and click-through rate. Next time you may try adding emotion and power words to increase clicks. People react more actively to things that make them feel something. The subtitle is a very good fit. It explains the title, names the benefit and reflects the content of the article. Fantastic work!

SheAlwaysListens August 25th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Article Title: How to spend your holidays the happy way during the pandemic?

Subheadline: 6 Golden Rules of Holiday Happiness

Lannylistens August 29th, 2021

@SheAlwaysListens

I would click on this article right away. Love it!

Lannylistens August 29th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Headline: Having A Blue Christmas?

Sub-headline: Five Tips to having a Holly Jolly Christmas

alexandra0321 October 5th, 2021

@Lannylistens So creative, I loved loved loved it!

considerateOrange2567 August 30th, 2021

Struggling with Loneliness During the Holiday Season?

The Essential Guide to Surviving the Holidays This Year

@considerateOrange2567

Hey! I loved your suggestions. Personally, I wouldn't include "this year", because I think it's a little bit redundant, but I would click on this article 😊

azuladragon34 August 31st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Heading: Creative ways to enjoy the holidays

Sub heading: Six ideas to combat holiday loneliness

aliceaspiringpsychiatrist September 11th, 2021

@azuladragon34
Hey, great job!
I love love love the subheading!
For the title I personally would have included a hint at the loneliness, but that's just my opinion.
​​​​​​​Awesome!

aliceaspiringpsychiatrist September 11th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: HOW TO COPE WITH COVID-19 INDUCED LONELINESS DURING THE HOLIDAYS

Subheading: How to be thankful, how to stay connected while social distancing, how to distract your mind to find relief and so much more!

JustLikeMellie October 10th, 2021

Awesome! Makes me want to read the article :)

Textingpals September 26th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Answer:

Headline: Alone during holidays? Here's what you need to know to beat it.

Sub-headline: 6 powerful tips I wish I discovered before.

@Textingpals love this :)

Title: All I Want for Christmas Is... People?

Subtitle: How to cope with loneliness during the holidays

I'm wondering if the title is too provocative... Would you read an article with this title, or should I have been a little softer?

amazingNutella24 December 7th, 2021

@alexandra0321

Alex, hey hey! I love your title! It's very catchy and highly creative without a doubt! 💜

@SoulfullyAButterfly Ways To Handle Holiday Loneliness

emotionalCurrent5586 October 26th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

The Journey of an overseas Mother.

Top 10 coping mechanism to fight loneliness in a foreign land.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 7th, 2021

@emotionalCurrent5586 I am interested about how the "10" comes in - how have you counted the mechanisms?

WhiteRoses25 November 7th, 2021

10 Reasons to Be Resilient with Anxiety.

How to overcome anxiousness.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 7th, 2021

@WhiteRoses25 I am interested in how you counted 10 mechanisms in this article - apart from that, I think your subheadline as well as the mention of "resilient" in the headline is great!

amazingNutella24 December 7th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Oh, this is an amazingly creative activity! Love it, Soul 💜

Headline: Catch the 5 Ways to Not Let COVID Wreck Your Holiday Plans

Subtitle: Here’s How to Gracefully Combat Holiday Loneliness!

optimisticMoment4139 December 21st, 2021

nice work

GoldenNest2727 December 27th, 2021

@amazingNutella24

I like this one! You used an odd number and it encourages the reader to continue on for tips. It might be a little long, though. Your subtitle is exceptional.

optimisticMoment4139 December 21st, 2021

Title : Reasons why you should be arround people during the holidays

Subtitle : Tips to enjoy your holiday and fight the isolation

29amy December 28th, 2021

@optimisticMoment4139

I love that the title gave away a significant point discussed in the article - being with others and providing the discovery of how it helps. However, I think that the article is a little too narrow and didn't include all the points like hobbies and distractions that can be done alone, the same goes for memories and thankfulness.

GoldenNest2727 December 27th, 2021

Are You Feeling Lonely This Holiday Season?
Discover ways to fight loneliness this season

Gratefulness

Community Spirit

Gathering Safely

Help Others

Fun and Games

Memories (best option in my opinion)

bubblingSea6361 December 27th, 2021

@GoldenNest2727 I like the use of the question in the title! Though perhaps it could be a little bit shorter (:

bubblingSea6361 December 27th, 2021

Title: 6 Tips to Chase Away the Holiday Blues

Subheadline: Discover ways to cope with holiday loneliness!

KatePersephone December 27th, 2021

@bubblingSea6361 loved it! :)

KatePersephone December 27th, 2021

How To Feel Less Lonely in The Holidays.

Here's all you need to know about loneliness and how to cope with it.