Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

No Desire to Work

littlelonely236 March 11th

I'm no longer passionate about work and I am dragging my feet to work everyday. I used to be a positive, highly willing, and highly skilled staff.

I'm still highly skilled but I've now gone into the not willing matrix.

I just dont feel like doing extra or even doing my best anymore. Everyday i to to work pretending i am passionate about what I do but deep down inside i feel so lost and empty.

I'm so scared i will bring the same feeling and attitude to a new work place. 😩 i dont know what to do to self heal and move on.

Appreciate those with experience to share your experience and how you overcame this.

Thanks.

ASilentObserver March 11th

@littlelonely236 Welcome to 7Cups, lonely and thank you for reaching out. It seems like you're really struggling with your job right now. You mentioned that you used to be highly skilled and willing, but now you're not. That must be difficult for you. What do you think is causing you to feel this way? Please know you are not alone here, we are all here to listen to and to support. 

You can also check out group support chats to share and get support. 

Tinywhisper11 March 11th

@littlelonely236 awww I'm sorry sweetie 😞 I've never had to go to work so this is not something I know how best to comfort you with it what to say. But I was thinking perhaps a little break away from normality, a self care weekend away in nature of something ❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤ I hope you find your smile back soon ❤

littlelonely236 OP March 16th

Thank you so much for taking time to say something so kind to me. I really needed to hear these words.

toughTiger6481 March 11th

@littlelonely236

Is it about the job?   I have been in those shoes and lost will to do my best or anything extra in situations where others were not carrying their weight or upper people had no idea of the steps needed to achieve the results i was producing.

Is it about your personal life.... when i had depression and felt there was no point other then paying bills to even go I had little or no life other then work home dinner bed work and the monotonous was wearing on me. I needed to find Goals and or hobbies to keep me motivated outside interests so i flipped the switch from living to work .... into working just for pay to live and filled my spare time into hobbies or plans that had a price tag to motivate myself no to just say  that is it. 

It's my job. What you shared really resonated with me...

ImpudentIncognito March 12th

I've been there. I used to feel energetic and ready to work, but as years gone past...every job I've had has felt rather draining. I ended up going to temp agencies --- as it allowed me to get a wide variety of experience and I tried out different job types. After the assignment was over, I tried another new job. It brought variety into my life, and I have had raises that way as well by trying different jobs. (There are studies that job hopping can be beneficial) So, by the time I felt "burnt out", I tried something different and new and had fresh energy.

Now, I think it's finally time that I find a job that's flexible with schedule or one that I can be my own boss. I solely focus on remote jobs (especially since I have medical issues and am a **solo parent) and am OK with hybrids, but prefer remote. Just not interested in office jobs anymore. I plan to in the future, buy property and rent it out for passive income. Getting my real estate license to get into the field (can technically work remotely, and it's "hybrid" when I do showings). I have a couple of other business ventures I want to get into as well in the future, and they're mostly hobby related.

I also recommend too, to make check in with a doctor? I ended up getting diagnosed with depression & PTSD, so they gave me meds to help with that. I'm also trying to eat healthier and get more sleep when I can. Been dealing with chronic pain for a long time.

If you're having doubts about this job, maybe take some time off work to rejuvenate(if you're able to)? See if it's the job that's bothering you or something else. 

Your mental health & physical being matters. You deserve a break. You deserve to be treated as worthy.
I don't believe in the traditional "work culture" to work the same job, go up the corporate ladder, and retire. I want to enjoy life at a different pace and spend time with my son and partner.

((**My partner is not my son's biological parent, so I am still technically a solo parent, we're long distance, but eventually will move in together and will no longer be a solo parent. 😊)).

I wish you the best, with whichever path you choose to do! 🌟

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience. I really really appreciate it.

I think I am burnt out. I am planning to resign and currently looking for a new job, hoping to leave with a better job. However, deep down I feel like I am not ready for another job that requires me to excel and give my best. I don't feel like trying to excel at all.

What you shared regarding getting temp jobs has been in my thought recently. I told myself that I should have resigned 3 years ago during my "high" time. Often in my past jobs, I only left after i started feeling unhappy or bored. I've heard of career experts saying that we should move to a new company about every 3 years. Initially I didn't really agree (I just love being comfortable where i am) and now I totally agree. In my next job, I will definitely not stay beyond 3 years.

Right now, I feel like I need to get back on my feet and do something unrelated just for the experience and to reset myself from this feeling. Perhaps meeting new people and being in a new environment can bring me the joy of working once again.

Thank you so much and i wish you the best in your business venture.

@littlelonely236

Maybe the motivation is gone and like someone said to boost that with things outside of work that feed back into work and vice versa could help.

And if you feel stuck there's a saying about how people wait for the perfect circumstances to start something when starting something creates the perfect circumstance.

One tool or skill that comes to mind when starting is Mel Robbins suggesting the five second rule; it's not eating food dropped on the floor, but counting to five and just doing something even if you don't want to.

This is equivalent to winding up a yo-yo for example...it gets things going, but it needs that initial action first, and one could set a timer, play music or do other things to encourage the process.

Apparently the most and only satisfactory thing for humans is spiritual growth.

That's why they say money can't buy happiness, to volunteer, tithe or give back somehow and to find what  success means to you.

Because while money can alleviate some of the desperation that comes from responsibility of raising children, it does nothing else. So finding purpose outside of that, from within, seems foundational.

https://youtu.be/K8ZgwZf1E3E?si=sO_BJY0Aukj8nNhI

Video on accessing flow states at will and the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation.

mediterraneanSun July 17th

Hello @littlelonely236

I recently joined this community looking for a relief to my stress and saw your post.

I've been on burn-out for the last couple of years. The main reason was I got burned out of being treated less well than my other colleagues in the same post. The company did not wait for recovery and they simply fired me. So I'll be unemployed when I'll be back on the market job.

My background is highly skilled. However, I could not bear to go back to sit in an office for hours a day just doing click-click - I got so fed up with the office culture that now that's how I feel about it.

I can realise that I'm very much drawn now to activities in the open and that involve other type of skills, such as gardening, snorkeling & diving, music & dancing, cycling, etc. Not only am I drawn to them they actually help to recharge my batteries.

What I'm trying to say is listen to your gutts your body is wise and tells you what it needs.

It's been some time since you posted, so it'd be nice to have some update to know how you're doing.

Hope all is well. 💜

azureCar8016 July 17th

I wonder which job role u r in now? I felt exactysame like u so tired of corporate office job. Felt like wanna go into travelling/baking related job but im not sure if i hv the skill….

mediterraneanSun July 25th

Hello @azureCar8016

Not sure to whom you asked the question but I'm happy to reply 😊

I'm still figuring out my next step regarding the job. What really motivates me (rescuing animals, picking up plastic from the ocean, accompanying the elderly, etc) does not allow to make a living. So I need to give it a good thought to be able to make the motivation and the financials meet.

If travelling and baking motivate you, the skills can be acquired via training, such as courses, or via experience by practising. What are your thoughts about it?

Davidsdimples July 25th

Hey player,

it would be crazy if we didnt feel this way after doing the same things over and over. You can either get out and do something different that inspires you. Or change your outside work situation to remember that the job is just to fuel the rest of your life. I bet work wouldnt seem as mundane if you were excited about what you did after. An extreme example of this would be if you could take a remote position within your skillset and do your work while travelling the world. Or do something very opposite of your work after shifts like starting a band. Having fun engaging things to look forward to can give you perspective. One last note to think about. One of the happiest jobs in the world in surveys is working at a flower store. So it may be your work environment isnt as inspiring as it used to be, not the work itself. Find what you love and take the stress out of your day.

hope that helps!